General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Building the Academy 1/350 HMS Warspite
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 03:40 AM UTC
Look at the PE wonderment! Of course I am going back a few days too with the starfish...top notch! Tidy work on the POM POMS. I remember playing with the Flyhawk version...not too bad but some tight bends on some small parts! Top of the funnel looks fantastic too! Keep up the great work!
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 11:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Coming along nicely Warren

Pom Poms are always a challenge at the best of times, but you've done a great job as always

Thanks Russell. I am always open to comments about improvements etc.

Regards
Warren
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 11:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Look at the PE wonderment! Of course I am going back a few days too with the starfish...top notch! Tidy work on the POM POMS. I remember playing with the Flyhawk version...not too bad but some tight bends on some small parts! Top of the funnel looks fantastic too! Keep up the great work!

Thanks Todd.
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,212 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 01:54 PM UTC
That is some lovely work you have done Warren.....Cheers Mark
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 10:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

That is some lovely work you have done Warren.....Cheers Mark

Thanks Mark.
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 01:47 AM UTC
Back again. A days work over a whole weekend on the Warspite is a bit of a disaster but we are looking at buying another house and spent all Saturday driving back and forth over Adelaide looking at houses.

But I got the boat deck in place..

I was wondering why Academy indicated that five liferafts should be installed in that spot and I could only fit four.. then I discovered I had put the wrong size liferafts there! I never knew there were two sizes of these Carley Rafts. Two shapes yes but not two sizes. Anyway the ones in the photos have been removed and the correct size ones stacked up ready to be installed after they dry.

Then I started on the aft superstructure and the first thing was to remove all the Academy detail and glue on a new face to the wall with portholes in different spots..

I spent quite a bit of time installing the wire rigging on the main cranes. They are painted and sitting in a safe spot. Always remember Warren's Law with sticky uppy and outty things..

Cheers
Warren
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 01:10 PM UTC
Jackpot!

All in two days!
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 04:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Jackpot!

All in two days!

Good Lord!
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 11:43 PM UTC
Nice progress on the Warspite Mate,

With that haul I can see why you might be house hunting

Cheers

Si
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2016 - 01:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Jackpot!

All in two days!

Good Lord!

He has been very good..
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2016 - 01:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice progress on the Warspite Mate,

With that haul I can see why you might be house hunting

Cheers

Si

I still have two spare rooms in this house to fill up.
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2016 - 04:11 AM UTC
Despite the life cycle stuff...searching for a new dwelling, it's great to see you get the boat deck fixed Warren! Looking good! Nice haul too! LOL....I keep thinking I would love to hit something 1/200 at some point....but they are just monsters! Looking forward to seeing you crack any of those in the pile! Best of luck on the house-hunting!
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 01:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Despite the life cycle stuff...searching for a new dwelling, it's great to see you get the boat deck fixed Warren! Looking good! Nice haul too! LOL....I keep thinking I would love to hit something 1/200 at some point....but they are just monsters! Looking forward to seeing you crack any of those in the pile! Best of luck on the house-hunting!

Thanks Todd. The house hunting is cutting into modelling time but you get that..

After continuing the new house search yesterday I got a chance to return to the bench yesterday evening and today. Don't get me wrong I will be getting my ultimate man-cave, bar and hobby room out of this so it deserves a bit of effort on my part.

Anyway, sometime during the week I started on the Walrus Mk 1 that the Warspite carried in 1943. After sticking the plastic bits together, and modifying a few of them, I started adding PE..

And ended up with this..

I then started on the booms of four different lengths. Pity the instructions give you absolutely no idea where any of them or their fittings are placed. First the end bits..

Then you need to put on some pulley parts and at least two of them I found go on the aft superstructure..

The others I had already placed the plastic ones in their places so now I have eight spare booms. Then I plced some deck parts in place including the spurnwaters..

Then I started on the ship's boats. These tiny bits all go on the keel so I am sure something will get knocked off and feed the floor monster..

Here are the unpainted Admiral's barges..

And that is as far as I have gotten for the moment.

Cheers
Warren
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 11:08 PM UTC
Just catching up here after about two weeks with almost no time to look in - fantastic work and progress, Warren!! The Pontos set looks really good - must have been about their first set in that scale? I have it in my stash as well, I remember that was the first time I ever heard of 'Pontos'. Looking forward to build it some time...

Some nice model kits you got there - looking forward to the respective build logs!!

Good luck for your house hunting - a good man cave and a bar is worth quite some effort!!

Cheers,
Jan
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 11:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Just catching up here after about two weeks with almost no time to look in - fantastic work and progress, Warren!! The Pontos set looks really good - must have been about their first set in that scale? I have it in my stash as well, I remember that was the first time I ever heard of 'Pontos'. Looking forward to build it some time...

Some nice model kits you got there - looking forward to the respective build logs!!

Good luck for your house hunting - a good man cave and a bar is worth quite some effort!!

Cheers,
Jan

Hi Jan!

Wondered where you had gone.

Yes, that was the first Pontos set ever produced. The instructions are pretty bad but the PE, wooden deck, brass and resin parts are fine. Just make sure you find out what is contained in the set for whatever step you are up to as Pontos don't tell you.

Regards
Warren
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 03, 2016 - 05:04 PM UTC
Starting to build up nicely now Warren

Good to hear that the 'man-cave' is a high value item for the house hunting!
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 03, 2016 - 10:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Jan!

Wondered where you had gone.

Regards
Warren

Hi Warren,

don't worry, I don't normally drop off the world I would be a lot more worried about that if I had to live upside-down so far below the equator for all my life (the dropping, that is. I know, gravity and all that - but it feels just better to stand on it than to rely on some obscure forces to drag you towards the centre Ok, sorry for that )

Real live and work issues have me disappearing from time to time. I am already somewhat concerned on meeting the Bismarck-campaign timeline...

I keep being amazed at what pace and in what quality e.g. Si and you build!! That's just fantastic!

Cheers,
Jan
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 03, 2016 - 10:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Starting to build up nicely now Warren

Good to hear that the 'man-cave' is a high value item for the house hunting!

A bloke has to draw the line somewhere in house hunting.

Thanks Russell.
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 03, 2016 - 10:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Warren,

don't worry, I don't normally drop off the world I would be a lot more worried about that if I had to live upside-down so far below the equator for all my life (the dropping, that is. I know, gravity and all that - but it feels just better to stand on it than to rely on some obscure forces to drag you towards the centre Ok, sorry for that )

Real live and work issues have me disappearing from time to time. I am already somewhat concerned on meeting the Bismarck-campaign timeline...

I keep being amazed at what pace and in what quality e.g. Si and you build!! That's just fantastic!

Cheers,
Jan

Hi Jan.

Last night I was contemplating my next build being the 1/200 Arizona, but with a house move on the horizon I don't think that it would be a good idea to be trying to move two big models (Snowberry and Arizona). Models don't normally get damaged in moves if they are still unbuilt in their boxes. Parts are not free to leap off and make a bid for freedom.

Cheers and thanks
Warren
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 04, 2016 - 01:36 AM UTC
Looking good Warren,

Greta work on the Walrus and the boats, the detail on those will add some depth to a great build.

Cheers

Si
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 05, 2016 - 11:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking good Warren,

Greta work on the Walrus and the boats, the detail on those will add some depth to a great build.

Cheers

Si

You ain't seen nothin' yet Si!

If I have to think "is it worth going to all this detail for a few small boats" then you have to watch their development.

This is the fast 45ft launch and here is how it has developed. First up you glue on the chocks, props etc to the hull..

Then you remove plastic from the base of the deck piece.. First a bit of filing just for fun.

I found this was a good method to remove the lower parts of the deck.

And after a while you end up with..

Then you add some PE..

And that is far as I have gotten up until yesterday afternoon. Oh, by the way, this came yesterday..

That means I finally have all 6 of the Trumpeter/Merit 1/200 ships. I am going to take a picture of them all showing the differences in hull length this weekend.

And I have to unpack the parcels that arrived today, one of which MIGHT me my Pontos detail set for the 1/200 Rodney.

Cheers everyone
Warren
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 05, 2016 - 11:22 PM UTC
Boats coming on great Warren.

I reckon it will be worth all the effort, details like that are really eye catching.

Cheers

Si
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 02:13 AM UTC
Thanks for that Simon. It appears I built more than I needed and now I have little boats with nowhere to go..

Anyway, another update. Firstly I had to attach all the hatches etc on the rear deck..

All those little grey rectangles. I attached these barriers earlier but can't remember if I photoed them or not. Also, that grey bit to the left on the edge of the deck is a spurnwater..

Then we have a picture with the boat deck populated with boats..

Then these davits needed to be attached. Not painted yet and I am not sure what they were used for..

Then we have the rear of the upper deck with radar, crane booms, boats and dinghys installed.

And finally the forward deck with the grates over the holes where then anchor chains will live soon..

And just as a sneak peak near the end of the build, here are a few of the upcoming builds..

Arizona first, then Bismarck, then Missouri, then Hornet, then Rodney, and finally the larhest of the all, the HMS Hood which has such a good PE set in the box it may just need a wooden deck.. but knowing me that won't be enough..

Cheers for now
Warren
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 11:40 PM UTC
Hi Warren,

The boats look good in place, all the detail work really adds depth the boat deck, one of the joys of Pontos sets, all those hatches etc.

Interesting projects coming mate.

Cheers

Si
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2016 - 12:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Warren,

The boats look good in place, all the detail work really adds depth the boat deck, one of the joys of Pontos sets, all those hatches etc.

Interesting projects coming mate.

Cheers

Si

Thanks Simon.