_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Building the Academy 1/350 HMS Warspite
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Friday, May 20, 2016 - 01:10 PM UTC
Hello Everyone.

Time for a new build while I wait for the bits and pieces I need for the Snowberry to arrive. I have had this kit in the stash since 2011 and I thought it would be good to give an Academy kit a go as I haven't built one of their ships before.

I will be using the Pontos Detail Set for this kit all the details of which can be seen here. No use me posting photos here as none of them will be anywhere near as clear and precise as the diagrams etc on the Pontos site.

So I started at the start and glued the hull halves together and the supports. Then I cleaned up the faint mould marks on the hull in the usual places and glued on the wave breakers for the barbette mounted guns. Just after I did that I though they looked a bit chunky..

..and wondered if the Pontos set had replacements in it. The short answer is '"Yes" and I quickly removed the plastic ones and bent up the Pontos ones and installed them..

After taking the photo I see that one is not align just right so I will have to remove it and glue it again. No problem as CA is brittle and will let you remove stuff pretty easily.. or there is always the debonder..

Anyway, that's it so far. It is so nice to be back using PE for a small scale ship with high quality PE and tiny attachment points which, if you cut them correctly, require little to no clean up. I just have to go through the PE instructions and the instruction sheet for the kit and mark where PE has to be fitted to avoid another wavebreaker episode.

Cheers for now
Warren
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Model Shipwrights: 154 posts
Posted: Friday, May 20, 2016 - 01:15 PM UTC
I'm following this one Warren, I'm sure to learn a thing or two along the way.

Cheers, D
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 20, 2016 - 02:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm following this one Warren, I'm sure to learn a thing or two along the way.

Cheers, D

Welcome aboard Sir!

Just one problem, I have got to the second page of the instructions and have run into a problem. I have no clear images of the Warspite's catapult so I have ordered the Top Drawings book. I think I will have enough to keep me goping with all the turrets etc though. The Pontos instructions are way too small to make any sense.

Cheers
Warren
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Friday, May 20, 2016 - 07:38 PM UTC
Hi Warren,

I am in, no question at all!!

Great project - and I will have a close look (and probably use your build log as a good reference, as I did with the Belfast) - I have the same in my stash, since about the same time, and that was my very first Pontos kit. I am really looking froward to build her - some day... For now I am looking forward to your build!!

Cheers,
Jan
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 21, 2016 - 12:47 AM UTC
Hi Warren,

Nice choice, and nice start.

Got this combo in the stash, probably been there that long too.

will be along for the ride. Hope to pick tips for when I get round to mine.

Cheers.

Si
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 21, 2016 - 02:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Warren,

I am in, no question at all!!

Great project - and I will have a close look (and probably use your build log as a good reference, as I did with the Belfast) - I have the same in my stash, since about the same time, and that was my very first Pontos kit. I am really looking froward to build her - some day... For now I am looking forward to your build!!

Cheers,
Jan

Hello again Jan.

Glad my Belfast build helped you. According to one of the editors here I never finished it.. even though I said it wasn't going to be painted at the very start...

Anyway, hope I can help out again, when I get that book anyway.. The Pontos instructions are not the best I have ever seen and you will definitely need a good reference. I bought a Kagero 3D book for the Battlecruiser HMS Queen Mary a few years ago by mistake thinking it was the Warspites sister ship the HMS Queen Elizabeth.. So I went to get my reference out yesterday and thought to myself, 'Self, this is nothing like the Warspite!'

Oh well. I might build a sub in the meantime. Quick and simple to build.

I was just looking at posts in the forum and it looks like we have the same ideas about projects, I built the Hood with the Flyhawk set a few years ago. You were lkucky to get that set.

Cheers
Warren
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 21, 2016 - 02:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Warren,

Nice choice, and nice start.

Got this combo in the stash, probably been there that long too.

will be along for the ride. Hope to pick tips for when I get round to mine.

Cheers.

Si

Thanks Simon.

The fit of this kit is awesome. No filler needed at all for the hull halves!

Cheers
Warren
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 21, 2016 - 02:45 PM UTC
Time for a quick update.

I decided to go ahead and add the PE catapault which meant removing the original one..

All gone and the resulting holes filled.

Here is the PE flinger base..

And after attaching the other two decks..

Which I might say fit very nicely..

I attached the PE. You need to be careful with this part as this is where the wooden deck butts up to.

Then I did the 6 inch barbettes and managed to make them operable (ie move)..

I then had a look at the kits 20mm cannons and the gun part is more than adequate, but the shield is way too thick. Luckily the PE set has enough parts to make 30 of the little suckers. Here is the third sheet of PE in the Pontos set..

Lovely etching.

That's it for now.

Cheers
Warren
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 21, 2016 - 04:25 PM UTC
well, well, this is a busy weekend-this is the third blog i've subscribed to tonight
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Saturday, May 21, 2016 - 09:55 PM UTC
Pretty nice and effective start, Warren!! What you are saying about the fit sounds really promising!

Cheers,
Jan
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 01:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Pretty nice and effective start, Warren!! What you are saying about the fit sounds really promising!

Cheers,
Jan

Good to hear Russell.

Jan, yes, the fit is good and the PE is also very good. I just finished the catapu;t and it looks much better than the original.. Oh wait a sec I forgot the two ramps.. A job for later.

Cheers
Warren
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Model Shipwrights: 154 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 03:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

well, well, this is a busy weekend-this is the third blog i've subscribed to tonight

Likewise Russ, some awesome builds all commencing together!

Cheers, D
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 03:39 PM UTC
Looking good Warren! Nice call in doing the catapult replacement! Best of luck getting the AA together!
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 11:08 PM UTC
Hi Warren,

Good job with the cat, I did the same with my Duke of York build, was well worth it, looks so much batter and cleaner than the moulded on one.

Cheers

Si
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2016 - 01:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Warren,

Good job with the cat, I did the same with my Duke of York build, was well worth it, looks so much batter and cleaner than the moulded on one.

Cheers

Si

Actually the Academy one was fine really, but just not fine enough (geddit?)

Thanks everyone for your comments.
youngtiger1
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 534 posts
Model Shipwrights: 55 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 02:00 PM UTC
Great start buddy, but it's to small. I would assume you would be spoiled working on the big berry and wouldn't want to touch such size ship jk
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 05:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Great start buddy, but it's to small. I would assume you would be spoiled working on the big berry and wouldn't want to touch such size ship jk

I still love 1/350 with its much bigger range. And they are a bit more affordable than the bigguns. But I have quite a few big ones in the stash... 1/200 Arizona, Bismarck, Missouri, Hood on its way.
youngtiger1
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 534 posts
Model Shipwrights: 55 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 01:31 AM UTC
I hear ya. I've been working on and off for about an year on 1/200 Missori for a friend. He wants to put it in his gallery next year. So, I have to do my best and make it clean and sharp as possible. I'm also working with full pontos set for it as well and I'm having a blast. Can't wait to see more updates on this project
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 01:34 AM UTC
While I'm here I may as well update my progress. First, the catapault in place..

The ramps either end will be put in place after the wooden deck is put in position. Here are the 6 inch barrels for the barbette guns..

I am using these paint sets for this model..

and

After I painted the hull with the light grey colour, 507A, I masked her up and shot some 507B Medium Grey on it. There is not a vast contrast between the two greys until the box art.

That's it for now. Will give it another coat of the medium grey and take the tape off this afternoon then apply the wooden deck. I have already removed all the pieces from the deck that need to be removed before it is installed.

Cheers

Warren
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 01:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I hear ya. I've been working on and off for about an year on 1/200 Missori for a friend. He wants to put it in his gallery next year. So, I have to do my best and make it clean and sharp as possible. I'm also working with full pontos set for it as well and I'm having a blast. Can't wait to see more updates on this project

Hi Mike.

I have that kit and set in the stash as well.

Hope you are enjoying the blog so far/

Cheers
Warren
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 02:21 PM UTC
Time for an update on today's proceedings in the Inman Hobby Room.

Here is the sprayed hull before the Hull Red is applied.

Contrast looks just about right now. Then while I was preparing to apply the wooden deck disaster happened..

Yes a small knobby bit disappeared into the ether. I replaced it with this temporarily..

Don't worry it will be changed out a bit later. Then I started applying the three -piece wooden deck..

Next was the breakwater here just sitting and testing if I had the bend angles right..

Then with the braces in place..

Then I masked the hull up again and sprayed the hull red..

Then I got into fitting the resin gun tubs..

Each will eventually have its very own 20mm oerlikon.

And that's it for now.
Cheers
Warren
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 10:06 PM UTC
Quite some progress here, Warren - great work!

The colors and the contrast look really spot on! And as usual, swift and clean work!! The brass catapult and the wooden deck really look fine! - but isn't there some top part missing on top of the catapult, or is that just a cover that you omitted intentionally? ...and I am sure you'll find a proper replacement for that bollard...

Cheers,
Jan
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 01:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quite some progress here, Warren - great work!

The colors and the contrast look really spot on! And as usual, swift and clean work!! The brass catapult and the wooden deck really look fine! - but isn't there some top part missing on top of the catapult, or is that just a cover that you omitted intentionally? ...and I am sure you'll find a proper replacement for that bollard...

Cheers,
Jan

Correct Jan, that is just a cover and if you are going to have an aircraft on the catapault cover wouldn't be there. Not sure if I will or won't at the moment.

Cheers
Warren
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 03:49 PM UTC
Great progress mate,

Very nice job on the Camo, ad the catapult looks great own with the deck.

Cheers

Si
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 09:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Great progress mate,

Very nice job on the Camo, ad the catapult looks great own with the deck.

Cheers

Si

Thanks Simon.

Masking up ready to spray the boot top..

Cheers
Warren
 _GOTOTOP