General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Build Log: 1/350 USS Missouri
McRunty
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 602 posts
Model Shipwrights: 349 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2018 - 10:24 AM UTC
I’ve only used primer so far. It’s a laquer based autoprimer. Seems to be working pretty good so far.
McRunty
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Monday, October 08, 2018 - 05:47 AM UTC
Beginning to think I may be cursed. My replacement fret arrived in the mail over the weekend. I happily opened it and discovered....A set of PE for a 1/32 Mustang P-51D.

When the get it wrong they get it really wrong.

I have gotten hold of their customer service again and they are allegedly sending out the right fret *again*

Only good part is they don't seem to want the Mustang fret back so that's something I can sell or trade at a later date.
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,298 posts
Posted: Monday, October 08, 2018 - 06:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Beginning to think I may be cursed. My replacement fret arrived in the mail over the weekend. I happily opened it and discovered....A set of PE for a 1/32 Mustang P-51D.

When the get it wrong they get it really wrong.

I have gotten hold of their customer service again and they are allegedly sending out the right fret *again*

Only good part is they don't seem to want the Mustang fret back so that's something I can sell or trade at a later date.

I ordered the Tamiya IJN Musashi 1/350 from a hobby shop in Japan and they sent me two of them and only charged me for the one. They didn't want the other back which was nice, but to this day I cannot convince the wife I only paid for one and not two.

Mark
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Monday, October 08, 2018 - 10:48 PM UTC
good things come to those that wait
McRunty
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2018 - 04:16 AM UTC
Replacement PE has arrived so I am finally a happy camper again. I have also done some progress on the main guns. I received a dremel tool for my birthday and that's made drilling out the mounts to receive the turned brass barrels much easier. 5 down, 4 to go!

However I think this build will be on the Dry Docked 2019 Campaign because 2 of my tankie thingie campaigns just started and I am also in a wingie thing campaign too
StephenLarsen
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 67 posts
Model Shipwrights: 41 posts
Posted: Friday, November 09, 2018 - 11:36 AM UTC
Hi Rory,

I'm the designer of the 3D-printed acrylic parts you ordered from Shapeways. Thanks!

I am happy to announce that most of my designs are now available in a new 3D-printed material, gray resin, which offers dramatically smoother surfaces, no waxy material cleanup, accepts acrylic and enamel hobby paints without the need for primer, and is less expensive.

I'd like to send you a set of 5" mounts in the new gray resin material, my treat. Please let me know your mailing address and if you'd like the set with fixed or separate trunnions. Both types can be found here:
https://www.model-monkey.com/battleships-350

You can see how the set with separate trunnions looks here:
https://www.model-monkey.com/product-page/1-350-5-38-mk-28-mounts-for-fast-battleships-separate-trunnions

Shapeways is not yet offering this material but products printed in gray resin can be ordered directly from me:
https://www.model-monkey.com/

Really enjoying your build!
McRunty
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Friday, November 09, 2018 - 01:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Rory,

I'm the designer of the 3D-printed acrylic parts you ordered from Shapeways. Thanks!

I am happy to announce that most of my designs are now available in a new 3D-printed material, gray resin, which offers dramatically smoother surfaces, no waxy material cleanup, accepts acrylic and enamel hobby paints without the need for primer, and is less expensive.

I'd like to send you a set of 5" mounts in the new gray resin material, my treat. Please let me know your mailing address and if you'd like the set with fixed or separate trunnions. Both types can be found here:

https://www.model-monkey.com/product-page/1-350-5-38-mk-28-mounts-for-fast-battleships-separate-trunnions

Shapeways is not yet offering this material but products printed in gray resin can be ordered directly from me:

That is extremely generous and I happily accept

PM is sent with my details.
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 09:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Rory,

Steve, it's great to see parts beginning to be offered in resin as opposed to shapeway's nylon, which is very difficult to paint IMHO! Great decision!

Looking forward to seeing what you can do with them Rory!
StephenLarsen
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 11:52 PM UTC
Thanks, Russell!

Yes, 3D-printed gray resin is a very good material for scale modeling. IMO, it is better than some other 3D-printed materials, including nylon and white acrylic. I think the new mounts will be an attractive alternative for Rory's model.

Here's why in detail:

Shapeways offers several different materials, nylon being one of them. Shapeways calls their 3D-printed nylon "Versatile Natural Plastic". The products that Rory ordered are printed in a different material. His are printed in acrylic plastic which Shapeways calls "Fine Detail Plastic", formerly called "Frosted Detail Plastic".

Shapeways does not offer gray resin, not yet anyway.

Each of these materials has advantages and disadvantages. Nylon, as you experienced, is difficult to finish because fewer kinds of paint will adhere to it. But many large scale modelers like nylon for RC purposes because of its strength. Google "primer for nylon" and "paint for nylon" to find paints that will work with it.

White acrylic, the material in which Rory's current 3D parts are printed, is smoother than nylon, captures fine detail better, and accepts acrylic hobby paints. But white acrylic requires a lot of preparation. Not only does the surface roughness often require further smoothing, the model has to be "post-cured". "Post curing" involves exposing the model to sunlight or another UV light source for an hour or so to make sure all the acrylic has fully cured before painting. If any uncured resin is present, the uncured resin can prevent enamel paint from hardening on it.

When the white acrylic model is being printed, a waxy material is also extruded by the 3D printer simultaneously with the acrylic to support overhanging features. Although Shapeways melts away the wax in a low-temperature oven before the model is shipped, some wax may remain. Any waxy residue has to be cleaned away by the modeler, not easy or pleasant. When the hot wax comes into contact with the acrylic during printing, the surface there will be rougher because the wax deforms slightly as it begins to support the overhanging feature.

And 3D-printed acrylic, which is chemically related to Plexiglas, is expensive.

The new gray resin material is so much better because:
- surfaces are dramatically smoother than the other materials.
- uses no wax or other mold-release agent.
- accepts enamels (Colourcoats, etc.), acrylic and metal (Alclad2) hobby paints and Molotow paint marker paint without the need for primer.
- gray resin is less expensive than white acrylic.

Instead of wax, the gray resin printer creates physical supports that look like sprues to uphold overhanging features during printing. Models like turrets and fire control directors are good subjects for this new material. Their boxy geometry means that the supporting sprues can go on the bottom of the model where their contact points are normally hidden. For larger models, they can be found on the inside where their contact points are generally hidden, too. A common cuticle clipper is a handy tool to easily remove them.

I'm excited to see what Rory thinks of the new gray resin material compared to the white acrylic mounts he has. Both the mounts he has and the mounts coming are printed from the same 3D design. So the big difference is only the material.

You can read what some other modelers think about the gray resin parts they have received here:
http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=163596&p=747547#p747547
McRunty
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2018 - 03:51 AM UTC
It sounds and looks like a massive improvement in quality. I am looking forward to seeing the difference and I can say that just by looking at the pictures on your website that I will most likely be ordering new Main Battery and Fire Control directors to replace the ones from Shapeways.

3D Printing is the way of the future fellow modelers!
McRunty
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2018 - 10:29 AM UTC
I received the parts today and all I can say is Holy Cow, what a difference. The resin is smooth and perfectly formed. No striations at all. All the detail is very well defined and clearly visible. In fact my only concern is I think the detail may be too 'To Scale' as I worry the paint will cover up some of that gorgeous detail.
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2018 - 08:59 PM UTC
Oh yes, Rory! You can't beat resin parts!

Stephen, who do you use for your printed resin parts? I've found a site here in Australia, but they have a minimum spend making it painful to say the least.
StephenLarsen
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2018 - 09:20 PM UTC
Thanks so much, Rory! Very happy to hear you are happy with the parts!

Hi Russell! For the gray resin parts, I recently purchased a high-quality resin 3D printer and now do my own printing. Products printed in gray resin link:

I can print for others, no minimum.

My Shapeways shop remains open, too, for those that prefer designs printed in materials other than gray resin. Nameplates 3D-printed in real metal are available in that shop, too. Model Monkey on Shapeways link:
https://www.shapeways.com/shops/Model_Monkey

Rory, very happy for you!
McRunty
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2018 - 08:59 AM UTC
New Main Battery and Fire Control directors ordered!

Now if I could make a request about possible future items for the store? What about blast bags for the various caliber guns. I have looked online and I can only seem to find them with other stuff i.e. The lion Roar set which has resin bags and turned guns along with PE @ $150+. I do however see tons of suppliers of just the gun barrels.

I have several kits that need blast bags and I would be all something like that
StephenLarsen
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2018 - 12:32 AM UTC
Thanks so much, Rory!

New designs coming! I think you'll be even happier.

RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2018 - 08:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks so much, Rory! Very happy to hear you are happy with the parts!

Hi Russell! For the gray resin parts, I recently purchased a high-quality resin 3D printer and now do my own printing. Products printed in gray resin link:

I can print for others, no minimum.

My Shapeways shop remains open, too, for those that prefer designs printed in materials other than gray resin. Nameplates 3D-printed in real metal are available in that shop, too. Model Monkey on Shapeways link:
https://www.shapeways.com/shops/Model_Monkey

Rory, very happy for you!

Wow! Stephen, now that's commitment!
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,212 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 22, 2018 - 11:40 PM UTC
Very nice. Will be watching with Interest.....Cheers Mark
McRunty
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2019 - 05:15 PM UTC
First update in a while. I have finally had some mojo return for this build. Tidied up some of the superstructure and threw some paint the hull and superstructure.

This was easily the hardest hull I have had the dubious pleasure to mask and paint. Its just so long that getting everything lined up and even was a pain. Took me 3 days to get it done to my satisfaction.

I also ended up pulling off the tape I was using to try emulate plating. Just didn't look right. I did however leave the furrows in the primer they left and it looks better.

Could not get a good shot of this due to the size of the hull. Eventually had to hold her at full arms length to get her all in.

I am very happy with how the bow turned out. Curve of the hull gives the illusion that the line is curving down but the Navy Blue 5N is the same height above the boot along the whole length of the ship.

McRunty
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2019 - 05:00 PM UTC
Worked on the deck some today. Painted the Deck Blue and tidied up the Haze Grey. Also put on the wooden deck. I was really happy with it. I would definitely recommend spending the extra money and getting a Pontos deck. It fit perfectly!

timmyp
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 496 posts
Model Shipwrights: 404 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2019 - 08:45 PM UTC
Rory -

Two thumbs up on the hull painting & the wooden deck! Looks fantastic!

Tim
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2019 - 12:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Rory -

Two thumbs up on the hull painting & the wooden deck! Looks fantastic!

Tim

Ditto!
McRunty
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2019 - 05:39 AM UTC
Does anyone have any suggestions for an alternate Haze Grey 5H? I am thinking of trying Mission Models (103).

I am using the one from the AK Interactive USN set and its awful. The coverage is terrible on it because its so thin (to start) but it thickens up very fast in the brush clogging it up. I have really struggled with it which is annoying because the Deck blue from the same set has worked wonderfully.

I would also not recommend brush painting with either even though it says it can.

*edit* Before anyone asks I have tried thinning it as well as at various psi levels (15-22psi. Doing some research online it does seem like AK interactive is pretty hit and miss.

I am also going to do a color test with Vallejo 905 which I have seen as a suggestion for Haze grey online.
Removed by original poster on 02/11/19 - 19:17:05 (GMT).
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2019 - 10:02 PM UTC
Massive progress Rory! Looks Great!

Can't help you on the paints though I'm afraid
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2019 - 01:19 AM UTC
Rory,

I use Testor's Haze grey enamel paint. Love how it cover and much more durable than Acrylic paints.

Mark