Ships by Class/Type: Carriers
Topics on all types of carriers from the early 20th century to today.
Enterprise CV 6 - 1942
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2018 - 10:34 PM UTC
What Russ said!

Now I fancy doing one of these, just to have a go with that etch,

Keep up the great work Michael.

Cheers

Si
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Model Shipwrights: 871 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 03, 2018 - 02:59 PM UTC
Completed the PE for starboard hangar deck external wall, gangways and gun tubs. Taken me about 3 weeks. I am in danger of getting brassed off.

The fiddliest bit is bending the etch for the gun tubs esp. the four and five tub arrays.
A flat strip has to be rolled into five semi circles, and being brass if one is out it don't quite fit.

Start for the general shape

and slowly finesse it into shape.
Here is one completed at the forward end of the deck

Not quite there. I will fill with CA and trim flat.
The hangar wall is about 40cm long is mainly complete, except for cranes, stairways and guns.

Seeing these I didn't realise how many gaps I had left. A bit of correction work required.
And this is it in its entirety.

Portside next, this one seems more complex so may be a bit longer to do.

cheers
Michael
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 03, 2018 - 09:50 PM UTC
Hi Michael,

Great stuff there mate, a fine job with those wavy gun tub do look really good in etch, would be interesting to see how much of an improvement over the kit parts they are.

Cheers

Si

JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 04, 2018 - 07:02 AM UTC
Hi Michael,

joining in once again - I missed out quite a lot, however, you are doing a fantastic job, excellent and stunning PE work!!

Cheers,
Jan
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Sunday, November 04, 2018 - 06:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Michael,

Great stuff there mate, a fine job with those wavy gun tub do look really good in etch, would be interesting to see how much of an improvement over the kit parts they are.

Cheers

Si

Good question Si, one that I have pondered many times over the past few months. As you have seen so far Infini replace just about every non-structural part. As for the gun tubs, I have shown the kit part versus PE. What is interesting is that the PE has quite a different interpretation from the kit and I guess that is the Tracy White influence.
Looking down the kit piece is lined up with where it would attach

And underneath

Can't say whether this amount of effort is good or bad but the starboard hangar wall probably took me about 20 hours. I think I could have assembled the kit pieces in under an hour.

cheers
Michael
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Sunday, November 04, 2018 - 06:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Michael,

joining in once again - I missed out quite a lot, however, you are doing a fantastic job, excellent and stunning PE work!!

Cheers,
Jan

Glad to see you back Jan and good to see Hood back underway.

cheers
Michael
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,298 posts
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2018 - 12:44 AM UTC
Michael,

You must have the patience of a saint to get those curves for the gun tubs. The final assembly is way beyond the kit supply pieces. Yours Enterprise will be one sweet looking ship when finished.

Mark
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2018 - 09:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Can't say whether this amount of effort is good or bad but the starboard hangar wall probably took me about 20 hours. I think I could have assembled the kit pieces in under an hour.

cheers
Michael

hehee, why do we do this to ourselves, Micheal? It seems we're all gluttons for punishment

But the results are excellent! Keep up the good work mate!
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2019 - 06:32 PM UTC
I sort of lost it with this build, Couldn't get motivated so spent some time focusing on things with wheels.
But it has been sitting there, Enterprise, on the floor actually since it is too big to leave on the bench and I have to step over each time I use the desk. So I am determined to get back into the groove and finish it. I have so much assembled etch lying around it's going to take some time figure where it was all meant to go but in the meantime I can focus on one of those repetitive jobs that need to be done for a carrier, the airwing. I have decided on a 2/3's approach, just the 60 planes. The kit came with 15, 5 of which weren't on the version I am building, TBDs.
So a monotonous weekend of assembling about 700 fiddly pieces got me to this stage.

Anyone that doesn't look quite right it destined to be a hangar deck plane.

Michael
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2019 - 07:18 AM UTC
Good to see you back on this one Michael.

Good luck with the aircraft, they are bogging me down on the Intrepid.

Cheer

Si
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,481 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,332 posts
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2019 - 09:26 AM UTC
Michael,

I have been out for a bit of time so I just now caught up with your post. Amazing work, truly breath taking. I did not realize how in depth that Infini detail set is.

If you have not seen it, Infini now has a deluxe detail set for the aircraft. It is pretty extensive. They also have a basic kit which does not have all the bells and whistles but is still impressive.

I did not see your earlier mention of Tetra and the HMS Ark Royal. I do have an account with Tetra, matter of fact I just ordered a set for the HMS Ark Royal for another customer. If you want one let me know and I will submit another order.

Can wait to see more of this magnificent build.

David
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,212 posts
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2019 - 11:20 AM UTC
Beautiful work on the Etch. That is going to be one crowded Carrier with all the Aircraft you have......Cheers Mark
Choowy
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 125 posts
Model Shipwrights: 125 posts
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2019 - 08:47 PM UTC
I'd forgotten this build Michael, great to see it back on the go. I know the feeling with getting your Mojo back to kick it along again. Especially when there are more difficult tasks waiting to be completed on a model.
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2019 - 12:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Good to see you back on this one Michael.

Good luck with the aircraft, they are bogging me down on the Intrepid.

Cheer

Si

Thanks Si. The fit of the pieces is pretty poor. I don't know whether I should fill all the gaps, a daunting task or just paint and hope nobody notices. This weekend I think I will just paint them and see how they look.

cheers
Michael
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2019 - 12:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Michael,

If you have not seen it, Infini now has a deluxe detail set for the aircraft. It is pretty extensive.

No, I couldn't handle anymore etch for this build. I still several sheets to work through!

Quoted Text

I did not see your earlier mention of Tetra and the HMS Ark Royal. I do have an account with Tetra, matter of fact I just ordered a set for the HMS Ark Royal for another customer. If you want one let me know and I will submit another order.

Can wait to see more of this magnificent build.

David

Thanks David for the kind comments. I think I only have enough energy for one of those complex builds every few years. Over the summer here I took the chance to build a couple of 1/24 scale cars. They were a lot of fun. Only 60/70 parts, not photo etch, just the build and painting, nice to go back to basics.

cheers
Michael
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2019 - 12:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Beautiful work on the Etch. That is going to be one crowded Carrier with all the Aircraft you have......Cheers Mark

Thanks Mark. I have seen a few photos with lots of planes on deck preparing for a mission. Probably not that many so a few will sit in the hangar deck. I opened most of the doors to the hangar deck as per most pictures so they should be visible.

cheers
Michael
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2019 - 12:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'd forgotten this build Michael, great to see it back on the go. I know the feeling with getting your Mojo back to kick it along again. Especially when there are more difficult tasks waiting to be completed on a model.

Cheers Ned. Hopefully with Easter coming I can spend some time getting more done. The delay came when faced with the tedious tasks, the first being the planes, next up is probably the armament. If you have ever built an etch 20mm oerlikon then you will have some idea because I have from memory 52 to assemble. then there are all the other firepower as well. So more assembly line than modelling.

thanks

Michael
trahe
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,158 posts
Model Shipwrights: 117 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2019 - 11:43 PM UTC
Michael, great work! Looking forward to seeing it with paint. Shame to cover up that exquisite brass work, though...
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, April 22, 2019 - 10:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Michael, great work! Looking forward to seeing it with paint. Shame to cover up that exquisite brass work, though...

Thomas, I am looking forward to the paint stage too It may mean I am close to the finish!

cheers
Michael
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, April 22, 2019 - 10:48 PM UTC
Well Easter weekend and I concentrated on making progress on the planes. Only two colours too worry about for my airwing, not counting black, USN Blue Gray and Light Grey. I couldn't find either in the locally available paints so went with some approximation.
First past with the blue, with the planes held in place with some blue tack. Not much finesse but coverage was the aim

A second past gave better colour as seen by the Dauntless

Then I flipped them over and air brushed each one individually with the light grey.

Then all the fiddly bits. First some cockpit green, again using the Dauntless, to give some colour variation under the "glass".

Glass on the Avengers and Dauntless now, I painted the walkways on the Avengers for some difference between the two

After that, I painted the spinners on the Avengers silver. I then indulged in the long tedious job of painting the black rubber of the wheels and tipped all the propellers with yellow.

Great way to spend Easter and I still have the Wildcats next for detailing. Once they're complete I will gloss coat and start the decals. It sort of seems never ending at the moment.

cheers
Michael
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,298 posts
Posted: Monday, April 22, 2019 - 11:21 PM UTC
Wee-O that is a lot of planes. Looking good.

Mark
trahe
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,158 posts
Model Shipwrights: 117 posts
Posted: Monday, April 22, 2019 - 11:44 PM UTC
Nice work on the aircraft! That's what held up my Reagan build for so long. Well done so far!
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 23, 2019 - 12:23 AM UTC
Great looking airwing Michael,

That is big load of decaling to do, wich you the very best of luck with that.

Cheers

Si

rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,481 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,332 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 23, 2019 - 03:33 AM UTC
Michael,

Nice work on the tiny wingy thingy's. Do not envy you the next step with all those decals.

Dave
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 23, 2019 - 10:08 AM UTC
you know the definition of insanity don't you Michael?

Doing the same thing over and over again but expecting a different result...

They look great though!