_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type
For discussions on ships by class and type.
HobbyBoss 1/700 USS Arizona WIP
ChurchSTSV
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 350 posts
Model Shipwrights: 175 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 03, 2019 - 08:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yup, I concur-the wood deck really makes her "pop"!

Thanks, Russell!!
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 03, 2019 - 08:47 AM UTC
Looking great, the colours really work, and a very tidy job on the cables.

Cheers

Si
ChurchSTSV
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 03, 2019 - 08:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking great, the colours really work, and a very tidy job on the cables.

Cheers

Si

Praise from Caesar!! Thanks, Si!
ChurchSTSV
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Monday, April 08, 2019 - 03:19 AM UTC
Life boats!!

Painting is so much easier when you wear magnifying head gear!

This is where we are at. Mostly glued down except the main guns. Want those to be able to be moved.

d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,298 posts
Posted: Monday, April 08, 2019 - 10:54 PM UTC
Charlie,

Nice progress. I agree, I couldn't do this hobby without my Optivisor.

Mark
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 09, 2019 - 09:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Life boats!!

Painting is so much easier when you wear magnifying head gear!

That is the truth Charlie: so many times "her indoors" has looked at me strangely because I've been wearing my magnifier whilst brush painting

Anyways, your Arizona is looking great! I tip my hat to you & all those who work in 1/700!
ChurchSTSV
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2019 - 07:09 AM UTC
Thought I would try to post a little update!

So I ran into some problems with the Arizona that have really REALLY given me builders block. I am finding it hard to get the inspiration to sit at the bench again. So I will try my best to explain what is going on because I lack pictures:

I got held up on the cranes and the rear superstructure. The lifeboat cranes seem to be too thick to fit into place. They are intended to slot into a little hole but I don't know if the wood deck narrows the hole or what. I can't decide is I should try to expand the mounting hole with a hand drill, or snip off the bottom of the crane.

The rear superstructure I am almost 100% I built incorrectly.

TRU03701-F
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2019 - 09:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So I ran into some problems with the Arizona that have really REALLY given me builders block. I am finding it hard to get the inspiration to sit at the bench again. So I will try my best to explain what is going on because I lack pictures:

I got held up on the cranes and the rear superstructure. The lifeboat cranes seem to be too thick to fit into place. They are intended to slot into a little hole but I don't know if the wood deck narrows the hole or what. I can't decide is I should try to expand the mounting hole with a hand drill, or snip off the bottom of the crane.

The rear superstructure I am almost 100% I built incorrectly

Hey Charlie, great to see an update here

FWIW a model is only incorrect of you say it is: in other words if you can't find info on how a particular ship looked at a certain time, then chances are neither can we

So who's to say what's wrong or right

Aš for the cranes, either method you proposed will work, but equally you could try gently rubbing back the diameter of the locating pin with a file or sand paper until you get the desired fit

Don't give up yet: you're nearly there!
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,298 posts
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2019 - 11:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

FWIW a model is only incorrect of you say it is: in other words if you can't find info on how a particular ship looked at a certain time, then chances are neither can we

Aš for the cranes, either method you proposed will work, but equally you could try gently rubbing back the diameter of the locating pin with a file or sand paper until you get the desired fit

Charlie,

Totally agree with Russell, hang in there your build is looking mighty fine.

Mark
ChurchSTSV
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2019 - 04:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Charlie,

Totally agree with Russell, hang in there your build is looking mighty fine.

Mark

The words really help guys, thanks! Russell, I like to try as much ship related stuff as I can! Not nearly enough updates to this section!

I appreciate the kind words gentlemen. I need to get the AZ done so I can move on to something a little more modern!
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Friday, July 26, 2019 - 06:35 AM UTC
Agree with Russ & Mark, I am no expert on USN Battleships I will admit., but your AZ looks fine to me.

Will be watching for the next update.

Cheers

Si
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2019 - 07:51 AM UTC
What everybody says, and in particular Si, as USN Battleships are not my field of expertise -but you ARIZONA looks pretty fine to me, don't give up on the last yards. I know how that can feel, I was struggling with my HOOD quite a bit on the finishing mile...

Great work so far, go for it!

Cheers,
Jan
ChurchSTSV
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2019 - 03:16 AM UTC
Thanks for the words of encouragement, guys. I did manage to shoot some white paint this weekend so the project has officially advanced!

Will post pics when there are pics to post!

_GOTOTOP