Ships by Class/Type: Frigates
This is for topics on modern Frigates. For the sailing variety they should still go under Sailing.
Australian FFG (Oliver Hazard Perry Class)
Choowy
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 125 posts
Model Shipwrights: 125 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2019 - 07:35 PM UTC
Thanks Rus, so far so good, I'm happy with the repaint. Just need to get another bottle of matt black to touch up the drop shadow on the number in one area and then respray part of the anti-foul.

Thanks Jan, well I can manage to complete it but as for another one I don't know.....could be all over after this one!!
trahe
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,158 posts
Model Shipwrights: 117 posts
Posted: Friday, September 06, 2019 - 02:14 AM UTC
Ned, great work on the frigate. Keep the posts coming!
ChurchSTSV
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 350 posts
Model Shipwrights: 175 posts
Posted: Friday, September 06, 2019 - 04:03 AM UTC
You are doing excellent work, Ned. Working in this scale can be tough but you are doing amazing work.
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,212 posts
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2019 - 04:53 PM UTC
Lovely work Ned and a great fix on the Flat Clear problem.....Cheers mark
Choowy
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2019 - 07:09 PM UTC
Many thanks Thomas, Charlie and Mark, appreciate you looking in and supporting.

Finally got some more progress done with the repair on bow. Still needs another mask and spray of black and then fix up the black shadow on the number that peeled off during the first repair mask.

I think it will be OK, very hard to see any artifact now (and I know where to look!!)

d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,298 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2019 - 04:03 AM UTC
Ned,

The repair looks great, can's see any difference.

Mark
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2019 - 12:09 PM UTC
After a bout of pneumonia and a stint in hospital I've finally recovered to the point of being able to catch up with all the goings on over here at the MSW dockyards!

Ned, HMAS Darwin is looking mighty fine! The repairs look great and are hardly divisible from the parent paint.

Hope to see more soon
Choowy
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2019 - 09:09 PM UTC
Wow, that's bad luck Russell, hope you're back on track now.

Thanks, touched up the number with a tiny brush and its pretty well fixed now.

This ones HMAS Adelaide, the fist ship that RAN purchased from Todd Seattle shipyards (US hull number 17 in the Perry build numbers)
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2019 - 03:43 AM UTC
Nice recovery Ned,

Cheers

Si
Choowy
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, September 21, 2019 - 09:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice recovery Ned,

Cheers

Si

Cheers Si.

Slow going but managed to get the fwd guardrails on. Needed a trim off the end then another PE post adding, paint then fitted.

Added the kangaroo decals as well. All RAN ships carry this on their superstructure or funnel. NZ ships have a black Kiwi and Canadian a red maple leaf.

RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, September 22, 2019 - 07:50 PM UTC
Ned, you're getting really close to the finish line now. Nothing like the satisfaction that comes from sticking it out
Choowy
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2019 - 05:54 PM UTC
Thanks Russ, I'm not sure about that.(the satisfaction part) but we'll see.

It is good to know there's not too many steps to go now and that I haven't screwed anything up beyond fixable. Each step forward makes the stakes that much higher when you handle it again as there's now more stuff to bend, break off and damage!!

The flightdeck nets and some port-side guardrails around the bridge ready for spraying.

The nets were an issue as they were starting to disconnect along the top of the PE section and become separate segments (as they are in real life) and as much as I hear that long PE runs are hard and you should cut them into sections, I needed them to be straight and there wasn't any reference line or flat surface to glue to. They fix onto the hull. They also required a bend as they are not flat in real life on FFG's. This did help to make the section more rigid where it wasn't split up.

Happy with that, need a touch up with paint, also a couple of the net holes have filled with paint and need "unblocking"

Therapeutic.........this aint!!

d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2019 - 11:40 PM UTC
Ned,

Railings are never fun but when finish they do bring a lot of satisfaction. I disagree with the comment about long railing runs. I found it easier to install railings that finish a section no matter the length. If the length was long I just glued it a different points along its length and once in place run glue along the whole length to finish. The less PE I had to handle the better.

Mark
Choowy
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2019 - 10:37 PM UTC
Hi Mark, yes agree they do bring a nice level of detail. The more I do the easier they seem to be getting and not as daunting as I first thought. I'm finding it easiest to cut each from the fret, test fit it and bend as necessary then spray and final fit off.

Can see an end in sight now as I cross each section off.

Stern rails and RAST carriage done now.

RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2019 - 10:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Russ, I'm not sure about that.(the satisfaction part) but we'll see.

It is good to know there's not too many steps to go now and that I haven't screwed anything up beyond fixable. Each step forward makes the stakes that much higher when you handle it again as there's now more stuff to bend, break off and damage!!

I hear ya, Ned

It gets serious as you move in for the finish. I utilize a number of methods to ensure there's no collateral damage: always take my time; only work one area at a time; and provide if necessary, hand rests to lift my hands to working height

Of course, the most important part: If I get the least bit frustrated: take a break
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2019 - 06:14 AM UTC
Hi Ned,

Very tidy work with the railings, especially around the bridge roof area.

Great job.

Si
Choowy
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, October 06, 2019 - 08:49 PM UTC
Spot on Russ,

practicing all of those techniques especially the hand positioning. Taking a leaf out of the sign-writers book, definitely the way to get steady results with paint and positioning pieces.

Most certainly walking away when things go wrong too. That's why its taken 4 years.
Choowy
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, October 06, 2019 - 09:00 PM UTC
Thanks Si

Well that's the last of the guardrails fitted finally. PVA glue really works well on those. Dries clear, gives you some working time and fills gaps. Needed to adjust the port side railing area to accommodate the extra whip antenna.

Added the SPRBOC launchers. This represents the early ship config. They ended up with 2 port and starboard later in their life along with other countermeasures.

Also fitted the STIR director and the SatCOM dishes.

Pretty nice PONTOS railing pieces, they include a nice plan view in the instructions that's 1:1 scale showing all the various railing runs as a guide.

Getting close now, Main mast, SPS-49 mast to fit, 4 whip antennas, 2 fwd antennas, the comms fans (hangs off the main mast), some life rafts and a few storage lockers.

RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, October 06, 2019 - 10:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Spot on Russ,

practicing all of those techniques especially the hand positioning. Taking a leaf out of the sign-writers book, definitely the way to get steady results with paint and positioning pieces.

Most certainly walking away when things go wrong too. That's why its taken 4 years.

I hear ya, Ned. My KGV has taken 5 years and is still going

Looking great by the way, nice to see you trying the PVA for the railings
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2019 - 03:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ned,

I just had that experience last night after an hour of trying to install PE railings on a turret.

Your work look great, those railings are sitting really nice.

Mark
Choowy
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, October 09, 2019 - 06:32 PM UTC
Thanks Rus, what do they say, its all about the journey??

That's tough Mark, sometimes it just doesn't work out and then you come back later and its all good.

Added the life-rafts, not technically the correct layout for the time period but getting a bit over it now so they are stacked as per the PE provided instead of single mount. They did change shape and colour over the years. Typically grey colour nowadays. The white from earlier times adds some contrast.

Had a go at putting these tiny antenna together provided in the PE kit. If they didn't fly off into the ether I would fit them.

The copper filament is .19mm dia (.007 of an inch) used to add a tiny drop of CA glue.

Adding some paint helps to keep it together.

There are 4 of these onboard, (WSC-5 Fleet broadcast transmit/receive antennas.) Removed later from ships.

2 above the bridge.

2 on the STIR director

d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 09, 2019 - 11:39 PM UTC
Ned,

Nice work on buiiding and installing those antennas. That drill chuck looks enormous, did you use a drill press...LOL.

Mark
ChurchSTSV
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 350 posts
Model Shipwrights: 175 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2019 - 03:21 AM UTC
Top notch work!

Great to see all these updates!!
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2019 - 05:50 AM UTC
Wow Ned,

she looks awesome!!! I was absent for a while, catching up just now. Excellent and crisp work, and you're getting there, very close! And what everybody said, when you're that close, it really becomes intense - sweating hands and all that. Take your time!

Cheers
Jan
Choowy
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, October 13, 2019 - 06:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ned,

Nice work on buiiding and installing those antennas. That drill chuck looks enormous, did you use a drill press...LOL.

Mark

Thanks Mark, its a 1/64 drill bit, only fits in my mini drill chuck and rotated by thumb and finger to drill the hole. I didn't have a pin vise, which would have been better.