_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Frigates
This is for topics on modern Frigates. For the sailing variety they should still go under Sailing.
Australian FFG (Oliver Hazard Perry Class)
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,298 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 2019 - 09:46 AM UTC
Ned,

Really nice looking base and a great idea.

Mark
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 2019 - 10:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Ned

ah yes, good ol' Bunnings. That's my source of timber too.

Wow, she's getting her own glass case! Awesome. Would love to have the space for that, instead, my 'fleet' whilst each ship gets its own base, they have to share the one display unit

Yes Russ as I'm not planning on another build this one gets its own case. As you would know dust is the biggest issue, no way can you leave ships out in the open.

Just thinking about what you said here, Ned, and I agree: there's no way ships can be left in the open if you want to avoid dust. Cleaning is a no-go!

Having said that, I'm averse to storing any of my builds in the open: they're either allocated space in the display cabinet, or have had display units of their own made. I've made units for things as diverse as a Millenium Falcon, an F-15e and a 1/700 Hood! Luckily for my wife though, all the items with their own display unit didn't end up residing at our home

Now, can I ask, do you cut your own glass?

And will you be screwing the base to the glass through holes or is it just clamping it in?
Choowy
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 125 posts
Model Shipwrights: 125 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 2019 - 01:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ned,

Mark

Thanks Mark, hopefully it makes sense, if you don't mind the glass case being not attached or permanently attached then there are easier methods. I'm going worst case and in 5 years something falls off and I cant repair it.
Choowy
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 2019 - 02:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Now, can I ask, do you cut your own glass?

And will you be screwing the base to the glass through holes or is it just clamping it in?

No I had it done by a glazier, gave him a size to work to, then made the base to suit. Much easier that way than giving them a finished base to work to and make it exactly. Its easier to trim the base than trim glass in small increments.

There are 4 screws that come up through the feet and engage in the trim. The trim will be attached to the glass with silicon at the bottom of the rebate where its not seen.

Knocked up a rough image on Sketchup to show.

Grey pieces are permanently connected. Glass is attached to the orange trim.

I'd considered poly-carbonate but it has a tendency to scuff over time depending how hard you dust it.
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 2019 - 02:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Ned,

Mark

Thanks Mark, hopefully it makes sense, if you don't mind the glass case being not attached or permanently attached then there are easier methods. I'm going worst case and in 5 years something falls off and I cant repair it.

I have a cleaning lady come once a month and as many times I told her not to dust my ships she forgets and manages to damage a mast or knock off railings. If I could afford your solution I would, but the wife would have a fit spending anymore money on my models

Mark
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, November 09, 2019 - 10:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Ned,

Mark

I have a cleaning lady come once a month and as many times I told her not to dust my ships she forgets and manages to damage a mast or knock off railings. If I could afford your solution I would, but the wife would have a fit spending anymore money on my models

Mark

Maybe it's time to find a new cleaning lady

Seriously though, that's a great little graphic you've drawn up Ned. Looking forward to seeing the finished product!
Choowy
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2019 - 10:46 AM UTC
Thanks, Yes Russ agree regarding the cleaning lady, or at least a dry run through the dusting procedure.

I did a test check with the ship on the base and decided to ditch the keel blocks design and go with a simpler pedestal mount under the hull fixed at 2 points using the original holes I drilled. It looked a bit cluttered.

I'm probably going to use the kit supplied pedestal discs as they are fairly plain, just need to settle on a colour.
Choowy
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2019 - 02:35 PM UTC
OK so painted the plastic pedestal base pieces and decided that the brass colour looked pretty fake. So either shell out $35 for brass ones or make my own. Decided to stick with timber to make it consistent with the base.

Without a lathe the easiest way to make a timber post with some detail was to screw down a piece of oak rod and run the router around it with a "classic" bit profile. Usually use this for running straight edges and it follows the timber with its guide roller. Has to be longer than needed to allow the bottom guide roller to run around the round base.

Trim it to length and clean it up. Shown with stain applied but no lacquer.

RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2019 - 12:29 AM UTC
Hi ned,

Catching up with your progress, the work on the base is impressive, will look very professional when it is done.

Learned a lot from reading your description of the process.

Cheers

Si
Choowy
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2019 - 09:47 AM UTC
Thanks Si, hope there are some ideas in the build for anybody interested.

I'm happy with the new timber pedestals, they match in with the base pretty well.

RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2019 - 11:16 AM UTC
Hi Ned

the timber pedestals look great!
Choowy
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2019 - 08:28 AM UTC
Thanks Russ, I'm happy now as the other options I tried weren't quite right and you know straight away if its not going to work.

Well, its finally completed.

Mounted the ship to its new display base, added the final modules that I had held back. Main mast, SPS-49 platform, fwd whips, aft whips, SH-60B helo and port and stbd fan antennas.

Nice to look in the storage box and find its empty.

d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2019 - 09:51 AM UTC
Ned,

She looks awesome! You did a wonderful job with the assembly and painting. Most impress with the rigging, the horizontal lines look nice and level.

Mark
Choowy
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2019 - 06:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ned,

She looks awesome! You did a wonderful job with the assembly and painting. Most impress with the rigging, the horizontal lines look nice and level.

Mark

Thanks Mark, happy I finished it in the end.
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2019 - 05:22 AM UTC
Congrats on commissioning Ned,

She looks splendid mate, have enjoyed following with the build.

Cheers

Si
Choowy
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2019 - 02:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Congrats on commissioning Ned,

She looks splendid mate, have enjoyed following with the build.

Cheers

Si

Thanks Si, glad to have you along!
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2019 - 12:46 AM UTC
Ned,

congratulations on commissioning your fine build!! She looks awesome, magnificent detail and crisply built. As Si says, it was fun following you along (even if I have not been a frequent commenter).

Well done!

Cheers
Jan
Choowy
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2019 - 07:13 AM UTC
Thanks Jan, was quite a journey. Hope you get some shore time soon to continue yours.
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2019 - 09:40 AM UTC
Can only second what Mark, Si and Jan said: congratulations on a fine commissioning Ned! Definitely worth a few to celebrate!

She's a real testament to persistence and I'm glad you stuck it out!

Hopefully you'll stick around MSW and we'll see another build from you soon?
Choowy
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2019 - 06:05 PM UTC
Hi Russ,

thanks, was satisfying to get it finished after 4 years. Not too sure about starting another one although it wold be much easier having gone through the process and the experience and tips from you and others.

Definitely be looking in on MSW, a lot of clever builders out there. Look forward to seeing you roll out the King soon.
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2019 - 12:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Russ,

thanks, was satisfying to get it finished after 4 years. Not too sure about starting another one although it wold be much easier having gone through the process and the experience and tips from you and others.

Definitely be looking in on MSW, a lot of clever builders out there. Look forward to seeing you roll out the King soon.

I get what you're saying Ned. It's easy to get burnt out after such a long build. I think the key is to take a break, then build something different. Maybe something a bit less complex or not so big. Mix it up a bit to keep it interesting.

Nonetheless, hope to see you around here on MSW in the future
 _GOTOTOP