Ships by Class/Type
For discussions on ships by class and type.
HMS Aldenham, Hunt class DE 1/350
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,212 posts
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2019 - 02:18 PM UTC
Lovely Build with Camo Scheme Si.....Cheers Mark
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2019 - 08:36 PM UTC
Those HACS directors look gorgeous!

Some close ups please Si
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2019 - 10:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Lovely Build with Camo Scheme Si.....Cheers Mark

Thanks Mark,

Does make a change from the W/A schemes.

Appreciate your kind comment.

Cheers

Si
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2019 - 10:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Those HACS directors look gorgeous!

Some close ups please Si

They are that Mark,

and, as I have learned, not to difficult to put together, if like the rest of the North star stuff, you take your time and follow the instructions, particularly the order of folding the etched origami.

I need some more of these now, for every other open topped HACS on any kit in my stash.

I will see what my camera can manage.

Cheers.

TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 - 01:40 AM UTC
Si,

I've always been impressed with North Star parts, but OMG, that director is a tiny work of art!

Your painting and installation looks just right - and I agree, a close-up shot would be most welcome!
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 - 03:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Si,

I've always been impressed with North Star parts, but OMG, that director is a tiny work of art!

Your painting and installation looks just right - and I agree, a close-up shot would be most welcome!

Hi Tim,

Likewise, I am a big fan of their stuff, they have got me out of a hole with poorly detailed or inaccurate kit parts a fair few times.

Hopefully I can get a couple of decent shots, since you & Russ have asked so nicely!

Cheers

Si
Quincannon
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 275 posts
Model Shipwrights: 273 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 - 05:39 AM UTC
Simon: I truly wish that when you find the time, you would start a tutorial on this board on the deck designs on WWII RN and Commonwealth destroyers, frigates etc, including patterns, material, colors, the whole works.

On Model Warships yesterday the featured model of the day was HMS Musketeer, my personal favorite RN DD. and the deck design was a variation of what you have here on Aldenham and the Scot class DD you recently completed . All these things are mysteries to me, and others I suspect, for most of what we see in the color painting guides, like those in the three Trumpeter Tribals are just a couple of variations of dark gray.
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 - 09:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Simon: I truly wish that when you find the time, you would start a tutorial on this board on the deck designs on WWII RN and Commonwealth destroyers, frigates etc, including patterns, material, colors, the whole works.

On Model Warships yesterday the featured model of the day was HMS Musketeer, my personal favorite RN DD. and the deck design was a variation of what you have here on Aldenham and the Scot class DD you recently completed . All these things are mysteries to me, and others I suspect, for most of what we see in the color painting guides, like those in the three Trumpeter Tribals are just a couple of variations of dark gray.

Hi Chuck,

Saw your Musketeer on Modelwarships, fine build! I have great respect for modellers that work in 1/700th, my tired old eyes cannot manage that scale any more, even with an optivisor.

My knowledge is nowhere deep enough to give any tutorial on British deck colours, it is a real minefield. From the mid war period the Royal navy used a non slip coating called Semtex, and the shades of that varied with no real pattern that I have been able to determine. The colours of course all weathered differently as well dependant on the climate the ship was serving in.

I will freely admit I use the best guess for the actual shade of Semtex. A lot of small ships like the Hunts, most of the deck was coated in Semtex, the fleet destroyers tended to have more bare steel decks, especially the pre-war and early war built ships, which was, more often than not a dark grey close to Ap505A of G10.

In the pre semtex era, corticine was used, this was a red / brown colour linoleum type non slip covering. steel areas could be dark grey or a brown shade.

Sorry I cannot be more help.

any errors in the above, please feel free to correct, there are likely plenty of omissions.

Cheers

Si

Si
Quincannon
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2019 - 05:19 AM UTC
Well Simon, based on the recommendation of Mark, our friend from Queensland, I ordered all five AK INteractive paint sets, which should be in hand by the first week of February. One of them the RN Western Approaches set contains, the colors I need to start experimenting with RN deck colors. First up will be a Hunt in 1/700 where I will try and copy your Aldenham pattern.
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2019 - 07:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well Simon, based on the recommendation of Mark, our friend from Queensland, I ordered all five AK INteractive paint sets, which should be in hand by the first week of February. One of them the RN Western Approaches set contains, the colors I need to start experimenting with RN deck colors. First up will be a Hunt in 1/700 where I will try and copy your Aldenham pattern.

Good luck with those Chuck, It is an interesting, and would think in 1/700th a very quite challenging.

after answering your last post I have made a slight change to the deck scheme, I have repainted the fo'c's'le dark grey, I don't think the semtex would cope well with the anchor cables, and there no raised cable ways.

Will post this week's update shortly.

Cheers

Si
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2019 - 09:12 AM UTC
This week's update,

A couple of shots of the HASC.

Somehow I managed to break off the gyro repeater, fortunately I found this in the spares box.

painted and fitted, along with the signal lamps.

A couple of binocular mounts and some voice pipes busy the bridge up.

Boats fitted.

The change to the deck, the fo'c's'le has been repainted to represent a painted steel deck, I have no direct reference for this, but as these ships had no raised cable ways, and the cables would rip up the semtex, I think it is most likely the entire Fo'c's'le. would have been left bare and painted dark grey.

I could be likely that areas around the depth charge throwers also were not semtex coated but I have no photographic evidence either way, and it is a bit late to try that on this build.

More research needed.

more progress soon.

Cheers

Si

Quincannon
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2019 - 10:59 AM UTC
I think you made the correct decision to repaint that portion of the deck.

I picked up the all four available Hunt's on sale and have yet to do anything with them. Don't think it will be too much of a challenge to get the pattern right, following your example here.

Like you, the eyes are not what they used to be, and I much prefer 1/350 scale. If you look at your Trumpeter Eskimo's deck the deck pattern is indicated on the plastic deck itself. That would be an easy one to do.

Most of my work is in 1/1250, and I would never attempt such a thing in that scale. It's hard enough to get the planking done on cruisers and battleships, much less destroyers and DE's
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,212 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2019 - 01:28 PM UTC
The Bridge is looking nice and busy now Si.....Cheers mark
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2019 - 09:00 PM UTC
Good choice on the foc's'cle deck Si!

And lucky find in the spares box!

Nice pics of the HACS directors too-thanks mate!
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 26, 2019 - 01:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think you made the correct decision to repaint that portion of the deck.

I picked up the all four available Hunt's on sale and have yet to do anything with them. Don't think it will be too much of a challenge to get the pattern right, following your example here.

Like you, the eyes are not what they used to be, and I much prefer 1/350 scale. If you look at your Trumpeter Eskimo's deck the deck pattern is indicated on the plastic deck itself. That would be an easy one to do.

Most of my work is in 1/1250, and I would never attempt such a thing in that scale. It's hard enough to get the planking done on cruisers and battleships, much less destroyers and DE's

Thanks Chuck,

It does look a bit more like it. on the next one I will do a bit more research on what was covered in semtex and what was painted steel.

You are a brave man to work in such a small scale, that is way beyond my skills.

Cheers

Si
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 26, 2019 - 01:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The Bridge is looking nice and busy now Si.....Cheers mark

Thanks Mark,

I think it is about right, might find something to make a captain's chair, my only slight disappointment with there is only one provided in North Star bridge gear set, when there is more than enough of everything else for at least two vessels.

Cheers

Si
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 26, 2019 - 01:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Good choice on the foc's'cle deck Si!

And lucky find in the spares box!

Nice pics of the HACS directors too-thanks mate!

Thanks Russ,

Was a bit of a life-saver, not sure where it came from, but it works.

Glad you liked the pics, they were fun to take.

Cheers

Si
Quincannon
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 26, 2019 - 02:45 AM UTC
Simon: Looking at that Musketeer, and yesterday's Polish Hunt, along with the lines clearly engraved in the 1/350 Tribal's by Trumpeter, I think you can draw general conclusions about what areas of the deck would be painted steel and what was covered with Semtex. Those conclusions may not be universal for every class, but I think they could get you pretty close.

My mother had an expression, which was prophetic about 1/700 scale I think - Nothing beats a try but a failure.
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 26, 2019 - 06:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Simon: Looking at that Musketeer, and yesterday's Polish Hunt, along with the lines clearly engraved in the 1/350 Tribal's by Trumpeter, I think you can draw general conclusions about what areas of the deck would be painted steel and what was covered with Semtex. Those conclusions may not be universal for every class, but I think they could get you pretty close.

My mother had an expression, which was prophetic about 1/700 scale I think - Nothing beats a try but a failure.

Hi Chuck,

For Destroyers I reckon you are right, it would be a fairly accurate guide. For the smaller classes, DEs, Frigates and sloops, I am not sure being smaller and having simpler in layout.

I like your Mother's expression, I think She has the right of it.

Thanks for looking in.

Cheers

Si
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2019 - 02:58 AM UTC
Si,

I've only time for a quick glimpse - but she is really coming together, fine work!!

Cheers,
Jan
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2019 - 07:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Si,

I've only time for a quick glimpse - but she is really coming together, fine work!!

Cheers,
Jan

Thank you for taking the time Jan,

She is getting there, I have the weekend's progress to post yet.

Cheers

Si
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2019 - 10:10 PM UTC
This weekend's progress.

The foremast.

The basic construction is well thought out, turned brass mast and tripod legs with a resin support,

The yard arm comes with an etched mounting very much in the Pontos style.

The ladder and aerial fitted.

As the Yardarm has signal halyards, I would assume there would be footropes, as the halyards and their fittings do need maintenance from time to time. These were sourced from a scrap fret.

Halyards and topping lift fin place, still need a coat of paint.

I would hesitate to call that the mainmast, it appears to a vent with a yardarm attached, to which the aerial runs will go.

The rigging on this one is so much more straight forward than the Agamemnon.

More soon.

Cheers

Si

RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2019 - 06:51 AM UTC
This week's progress,

One word:- Rigging.

All but finished, much simper the Agamemnon!

20mm, - which just need a coat of paint, anchors, cable, and jack & ensign staffs.

Oh and decals

cheers

Si.
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,298 posts
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2019 - 12:02 PM UTC
Si,

What can I say, another fine rigging job by the master.

Mark
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2019 - 09:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Si,

What can I say, another fine rigging job by the master.

Mark

Very kind of you to say so Mark.,

The wires coming down off the aerials were "interesting" to say the least. very nice drawings in the instructions, don't get that often enough. Well done L'Arsenal!

Cheers

Si