Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
IJN Kirishima 1942 1/350
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,298 posts
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2019 - 11:50 PM UTC
David,

No I am not a member of the Austin club, to far of a drive but I do attend their yearly show.

Mark
Quincannon
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 275 posts
Model Shipwrights: 273 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2019 - 04:57 AM UTC
And here all this time the only thing I thought was in Killeen was sagebrush and a Cavalry Division.

They have an online model shop too. The world is truly a wonderful place.

Tell you both the truth I am a little concerned about whatever paint I use for the lino portion of the deck on this one because as I understand the Fujimi Shimakaze comes with that portion of the deck molded in brown. Don't know if that will have much or in fact any effect.
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2019 - 07:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Tell you both the truth I am a little concerned about whatever paint I use for the lino portion of the deck on this one because as I understand the Fujimi Shimakaze comes with that portion of the deck molded in brown. Don't know if that will have much or in fact any effect.

Chuck,

You could put down a color (red base, unless the Japanese used a different color primer on their ships) primer over the molded color.

Mark
Quincannon
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2019 - 08:05 AM UTC
Yes I could, and will if I think I need to, but there are so many small fittings in the lino portion of the deck, mostly cable reels and such that I don't really want to risk a primer, for fear that I will cover the detail.

Typically I will put all these parts on, then brush paint the lino area, and then paint the bits and pieces with well thinned Vallejo paints. They have a nice Neutral Gray color that seems to fit nicely with all of the IJN Arsenal paint colors.

My paint of choice is Tamiya in a spray can for the IJN Colors. I don't own an air brush.
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Model Shipwrights: 871 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2019 - 05:46 PM UTC
This looks like an interesting build you have planned and with all those extras a fairly demanding one. I have one of these 1/350 Ironclad series in the stash, the Takao I think so I will be watching to see your progress on this. Good luck with choosing the lino color!

cheers
Michael
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2019 - 11:48 PM UTC
Chuck,

I sure you know, brush paints look just as good as sprayed when applied correctly. I use a brush a lot in small areas and tight places.

Mark
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2019 - 11:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This looks like an interesting build you have planned and with all those extras a fairly demanding one. I have one of these 1/350 Ironclad series in the stash, the Takao I think so I will be watching to see your progress on this. Good luck with choosing the lino color!

cheers
Michael

Michael,

Some of the extras will not be used as the parts in the kit will work. Sometimes just drilling out the portholes, barrel ends, adding railings and rigging is enough to make a build pop.

Mark
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,481 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,332 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 29, 2019 - 12:43 AM UTC
Mark, I understand. Not sure if I am going to transfer to that club myself but I do know I will be at the show this year.

Chuck, another option is to remove the molded brass strip and replace with PE brass strip. Are you using any PE for your Shimkaze? Infini Model has an amazing kit available.

Reports from Scale Colors is that they laydown very smoothly with a brush.

As far as Killeen, it has become quite the mid-sized town, we even have a Circle K!!

David
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 29, 2019 - 05:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Are you happy with the quality if the kits parts and fit? I just bought this kit a week ago and unfortunately, it has to come from Japan as I could not find the updated version in the states. Am enjoying following your build. Keep up the good work.

Jon,

The hull and decking are the only parts I have fitted so far. The hull had a little flash but nothing a Exacto knife couldn't take care of. The fit was very nice requiring only a small run of putty down the seam. The deck fit was the best I have experienced so far. No gaps to putty were it butts up to the hull. I don't know if was because of how the hull fitted together and braced or the deck. I hope all my future decks fit as nicely as this one did.

Mark
Quincannon
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 29, 2019 - 06:13 AM UTC
David: I will give Scale Colors a try based upon your recommendation.

Mark: I am going to have to wait until the Shimakaze arrives from Japan before I make any decisions regarding PE.

David: I was in Killeen twice, both times TDY. One time was in the 1960's to evaluate an exercise with 1st Armored Division, and the second time in the 80's doing the same thing with the 1st Cavalry Division. In that twenty years between visits, I was astounded at how much Killeen had grown, and I am quite sure I would not recognize either Killeen or Fort Hood should I visit today.

My model is on the way. I received a shipping notice this morning. This kit even has one of those nifty new stands that Tim reviewed a week or so ago. The lower center of gravity will keep the model much more stable when completed. Meanwhile I will keep a close eye on this build and take good notes.
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2019 - 06:33 AM UTC
Mark,

that's a very promising start to a very interesting and challenging build - I'm in and looking forward!

Cheers,
Jan
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2019 - 01:06 PM UTC
Finished painting and weathering the wood main deck and middle decks today.

Here is the results of six days of adding strips of .5mm tape before adding the final coat.

This is what it looks like now after a dusting of flat white and a wash of aged wood by MIG.

Still have to put a coat of Future over the deck to protect it but I am going to wait until tomorrow evening to give the wash plenty of time to dry.

Next step, building up. Until next post.

Mark
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2019 - 11:03 PM UTC
We don't often see painted decks these days Mark, but yours is one of the best around!
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,481 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,332 posts
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2019 - 07:11 AM UTC
Mark,

Agree with Russell, amazing work on the painted deck! Truly impressive.

d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2019 - 09:23 AM UTC
Russel, David

Thank you for the kind remarks.

Mark
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,212 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 09, 2019 - 08:00 PM UTC
Lovely work on the Decks so far Mark......Cheers Mark
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 09, 2019 - 11:40 PM UTC
Mark,

Thank you.

Mark
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2019 - 12:11 PM UTC
Well it has been awhile since the last post due to work and some needed vacation days. I have been busy with getting the superstructures assembled and a little start on the guns.

My next goal is to get as much pieces assembled and dry fitted, then paint.

Until the next post.

Mark
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2019 - 07:37 PM UTC
Wow Mark,

that's really impressive work on your painted wooden deck, I somehow missed that until now.
But your progress with regards to the superstructure and the guns looks pretty good, too - looking forward to see more!

Cheers,
Jan
McRunty
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 602 posts
Model Shipwrights: 349 posts
Posted: Friday, August 23, 2019 - 01:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well it has been awhile since the last post due to work and some needed vacation days. I have been busy with getting the superstructures assembled and a little start on the guns.

Shout-out to Andy in Germany
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, August 23, 2019 - 09:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow Mark,

that's really impressive work on your painted wooden deck, I somehow missed that until now.
But your progress with regards to the superstructure and the guns looks pretty good, too - looking forward to see more!

Cheers,
Jan

Jan, Thank you for looking in and the kind words. I enjoy painting the decks even though it took a couple of hours a day for a week. This one was easier to do because the deck planking was already there. It only took around 750 18mm by .4mm strips to create.

Mark
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2019 - 04:16 AM UTC
Hi Mark,

I concur with the others - fabulous work on the decks! They stand out now, but after everything else is assembled and painted they will recede a bit but still add to the complexity and depth of the build. Well done so far!
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2019 - 12:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Mark,

I concur with the others - fabulous work on the decks! They stand out now, but after everything else is assembled and painted they will recede a bit but still add to the complexity and depth of the build. Well done so far!

Tim,

Thank you for the post. I hope I can do as good a job on the rest of the ship.

Mark
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2019 - 06:30 PM UTC
Mark, you've definitely made a lot of progress since your last post!

Very nice, indeed!
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,212 posts
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2019 - 09:38 PM UTC
Some lovely clean work so far Mark. Enjoying your Build.....Cheers Mark