Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
IJN Kirishima 1942 1/350
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,298 posts
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2019 - 11:33 PM UTC
Russel/Mark,

Thanks for looking in on build. I finished painting all of the superstructure assemblies last night and now started on the secondary weapons. I hope the 25mm aftermarket items don't drive me crazy during assembly.

Mark
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2019 - 10:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Russel/Mark,

Thanks for looking in on build. I finished painting all of the superstructure assemblies last night and now started on the secondary weapons. I hope the 25mm aftermarket items don't drive me crazy during assembly.

Mark

Mark, I think all us folk on salty side usually end up a little crazy after building the AA suite for even just one ship
Choowy
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 125 posts
Model Shipwrights: 125 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 28, 2019 - 09:33 PM UTC
Just catching up with this build Mark, great work so far. Looks like a really nice kit, great detail.
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 28, 2019 - 11:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Just catching up with this build Mark, great work so far. Looks like a really nice kit, great detail.

Ned, Thank you.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Model Shipwrights: 476 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2019 - 01:04 AM UTC
Mark,

Wonderful work. I am in awe of your deck. Long ago I saw someone do that but I did not have the patience to try it with my 1/700 IJN BB, so I tried illustrator pencils. Looks great - for a 3-year-old So it has been in dry dock since 2007. You inspire me to put on my big-modeler's pants and try again.

Thanks for showing us your work!
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2019 - 06:58 AM UTC
Coming on very nicely Mark,

Have been looking in, but as life has returned, at least temporarily, to something resembling normality (For the Duster household).

Cheers

Si
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2019 - 12:52 PM UTC
Frederick / Si,

Thank you for looking in. I been enjoying this build and its challenges. Time to focus on all the little details now plus some upgrades to the secondary weapons.

Mark
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2019 - 01:01 PM UTC
Everyone,

Thought I should put out an update on my build. For the time I spent on her so far it seems their hasn't been much progress.

Here is a portside view. Sorry for the busy background, my normal background is in the laundry.

There has been numerous fit issues and then the black primer from Ultimate started bleeding through the Mission grey paint which require a complete re-taping the deck and respraying the installed superstructures.

I changed out all of the barrels with metal.

After changing out the barrels on the 127mm guns I purchased upgrade set from Alliance, resin, plastic and metal. It is sitting on the right of the kit supplied gun. The resin is very fragile and the gun house came in four pieces and not one.

So I haven't decide to use the Alliance guns or stay with the modified kit guns.

While surfing Ebay I found an upgrade of the electric winches from Infini models. They were easy to assemble and are a big improvement over the kit winches.

Here is the starboard side view. Simulating canvas on the railings on the superstructure was my first attempt at it. I used rolling papers soaked in water and white glue. Had a hard time with using tissue paper.

The PE I purchased really didn't fit this model except for the railings, ladders. I am waiting on a set pulleys for the booms as the PE supplied ones didn't fit.

I purchase 3D mushroom vents which look really nice. I will post again after I get them installed and finish the railing installation on the turrets.

Until then,

Mark
Choowy
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 125 posts
Model Shipwrights: 125 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2019 - 01:14 PM UTC
Mark bummer about the paint issues, I can sympathize with you on that topic. Those upgrades look great, amazing how much a PE part lifts the realism of a model. Hats off to you for attempting the canvas look on the railings. Well worth it as they look 100%.
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, October 21, 2019 - 09:52 PM UTC
Hi Mark

sorry to hear you're having so many fit issues with this build!

It's never easy to know which direction to take, when this happens, but I'm sure things will work out.

For example, the upgrade of the electric winches from Infini models and the metal barrels you've swapped out look great!

For canvas dodgers, have you tried just using diluted white glue without the paper? Surface tension will do the job of any paper. After it dries, you can paint it whatever colour you want

Keep chipping away at it Mark, she's gonna look great when finished!
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, October 21, 2019 - 11:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Mark bummer about the paint issues, I can sympathize with you on that topic. Those upgrades look great, amazing how much a PE part lifts the realism of a model. Hats off to you for attempting the canvas look on the railings. Well worth it as they look 100%.

Ned,

Thank you for comments and looking in.

Russell,

I never hear of just using white glue to simulate canvas, only seen the tissue method on U-tube (Been thinking about painting the canvas with a mix of white and little brown to take out the brightness). I seen white glazing used to simulate glass on portholes. Thanks for looking in and for the encouragement.

Mark
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2019 - 06:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Ned,

Russell,

I never hear of just using white glue to simulate canvas, only seen the tissue method on U-tube (Been thinking about painting the canvas with a mix of white and little brown to take out the brightness). I seen white glazing used to simulate glass on portholes. Thanks for looking in and for the encouragement.

Mark

Nice to see some progress Mark,

Like the guys say the winches look great. You will get there with the other issues.

Your canvas dodgers look rather good, but I am with Russ on using PVA without the paper for the railings, simpler, and if you only paint the outside the original railing colour shows through on the inside.

Keep up the good work mate,

cheers

Si
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2019 - 08:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Ned,

Russell,

Mark

Nice to see some progress Mark,

Like the guys say the winches look great. You will get there with the other issues.

Your canvas dodgers look rather good, but I am with Russ on using PVA without the paper for the railings, simpler, and if you only paint the outside the original railing colour shows through on the inside.

Keep up the good work mate,

cheers

Si

Si,

Thanks for looking in and comments. I still have the test railing sitting on the bench. I will run a sample test and see how it comes out and will let you know.

Mark
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,212 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 26, 2019 - 07:10 PM UTC
Looking very nice so far Mate. Am enjoying your work.....Cheers mark
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 27, 2019 - 05:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking very nice so far Mate. Am enjoying your work.....Cheers mark

Mark,

Thank you.

Mark
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,481 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,332 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 27, 2019 - 07:25 AM UTC
Mark,

Just catching up on this build. Amazing work. Sorry to hear about the paint and photo Etch issues. Seems as if you have adapted and overcome though!.

Dave
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 27, 2019 - 11:59 PM UTC
David,

Thank you. Made much progress this weekend and should have new photos posted tonight. I managed to break everyone of the resin housing for the 12.7cm gun upgrade from Alliance during clean up. I did come up with solution using the kit pieces I can live with.

Mark
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,481 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,332 posts
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2019 - 02:41 AM UTC
Mark,

Can't wait to see what you came up with for the Type 89's. I have used the Alliance Model Works resin version for all my builds and understand the challenge with them.

David
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2019 - 06:35 PM UTC
Mark,

so sorry to hear about the black primer, however, you did a very nice recovery. I know this si sometimes very hard, keeping motivation high or getting it back...

Really nice work though, very nice details. The winches look awesome!

Cheers
Jan
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2019 - 07:07 AM UTC
I getting ready to install the searchlights and was wondering if the lens were tinted and not clear glass? All of the photos I have are in black and white and I can't tell. Anyone knows the answer.

Mark
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2019 - 08:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I getting ready to install the searchlights and was wondering if the lens were tinted and not clear glass? All of the photos I have are in black and white and I can't tell. Anyone knows the answer.

Mark

I've no idea Mark.

Have they provided clear lenses in the kit? If so, I'd just go with that.

If not, I'd just paint them silver. Here's my effort from the KGV

and shutters fitted

As you can see it's not too bad. Keep in mind they're about 3mm in diameter at this scale and I'd be inclined to think it would be hard to tell if they were tinted or not.

And being searchlights, I'd say they'd want them to be as powerful as possible, thus, they probably were clear.

Hope this helps
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2019 - 09:25 AM UTC
Russell,

They came as clear parts which I masked off the lens. They have no shutter detail at all and the way they are shape I don't think after market will sit flat. I guess I am going with clear. Thanks for the reply.

Mark
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2019 - 09:33 AM UTC
Hi Mark

yep, I'd leave them clear, for sure.

Have they molded the shutters/lens facets onto the lenses or are they flat?

Chance of a pic?
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Model Shipwrights: 476 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2019 - 09:44 AM UTC
Marvelous! I am amazed by your work, authenticity and accuracy.
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2019 - 11:36 PM UTC
Frederick, Thank you.

Russell,

I been promising pictures all week and I will get them out. Life has been getting in the way all week slowing down work on her. Thanks on the feedback on the searchlights. I hand brush a coat of Future on them last night and I think it streak the paint. I am not happy with how this Mission Model paint is setting. If I don't get clear coat on this paint right away I could rub the paint off and now the paint is streaking. I let the paint cure for two days before adding the future.

Will see how they look when I get home from work tonight and then decide to install them or repaint.

Mark