_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
Tamiya Yamato
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,212 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 09, 2019 - 08:14 PM UTC
Hi Guys. Just had a break from Building to recharge the Batteries. This is going to my next Build and I thought the Bismarck was fun. This is what I am Taking on.....Cheers mark

Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Model Shipwrights: 871 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 09, 2019 - 09:44 PM UTC
Good luck with that Mark. It's a kit I always wanted to do so I will be watching but I am bit jaundiced by kits with mega etch sets so I am unlikely to attempt in the near future.

cheers
Michael
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2019 - 10:01 PM UTC
Wow Mark! Talk about coming back with a "bang"!

This is the way to do it, for sure!

Like Michael, I've always been curious about Tamiya's new tool Yamato, but always intimidated by both it and the AM available and hence stayed away. More than happy to watch you do battle with her though
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2019 - 11:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Good luck with that Mark. It's a kit I always wanted to do so I will be watching but I am bit jaundiced by kits with mega etch sets so I am unlikely to attempt in the near future.

cheers
Michael

THanks Michael. I don't know if I have bitten off more than I can Chew but we will see.....Cheers mark
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2019 - 11:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow Mark! Talk about coming back with a "bang"!

This is the way to do it, for sure!

Like Michael, I've always been curious about Tamiya's new tool Yamato, but always intimidated by both it and the AM available and hence stayed away. More than happy to watch you do battle with her though

Thanks Russell. We shall all see how I go.....Cheers mark
ChurchSTSV
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 350 posts
Model Shipwrights: 175 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2019 - 02:59 AM UTC
Wow! I will be following this one!!

haven't had much time in the way of modeling lately, thanks to the baby. I am gonna try to live vicariously through you if you don't mind.
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,298 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2019 - 08:57 AM UTC
Mark,

Nice choice and challenge. I have a partial built Musashi sitting on the floor waiting on me. Maybe your build will motivate me.

Mark
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2019 - 04:20 PM UTC
Thanks for the comments Gents much appreciated. This is most of what is in the Kit and the Pontos Set.....Cheers Mark

surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2019 - 10:26 PM UTC
I don't know why but Tamiya have split the Hull in an unusual way which means some careful Puttying and Sanding to come. Oh what fun....Cheers Mark

RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2019 - 10:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't know why but Tamiya have split the Hull in an unusual way which means some careful Puttying and Sanding to come. Oh what fun....Cheers Mark

I dare say it's to get the shape of the hull at the bow just right!

Very skillful puttying and it'll be gone in no time.

Just amazed at how much is in the boxes!
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, June 18, 2019 - 09:23 PM UTC
Don't worry Russell so am I. OK her lower Hull is now together along with her Mid Deck. Skegs, Shafts, Rudders and P/E Water Inlet Drains have also been added. Work on her Main Deck has also started. More to come soon.....Cheers mark

Black_sheep
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 823 posts
Model Shipwrights: 551 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2019 - 04:59 AM UTC
*GULP* Thats a massive kit I will watch with interest!

Cheers

Thomas
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2019 - 08:38 AM UTC
Off to a great start. Looking forward to the next batch of photos.

Mark
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, June 22, 2019 - 01:34 PM UTC
Thanks for the comments Gents. Feels strange Building this Kit so far. Very little Glue but lots of Screws. More of her Hull has now been completed. More to come soon.....Cheers mark

d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 22, 2019 - 10:30 PM UTC
That is a lot of screws, I don't think I seen as many on a 1/200 model ship than I seen on your 1/350 Yamato. I guess it is nice to know that the hull and deck strength is relied on by metal and not glue or alignment.

Mark
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, June 22, 2019 - 11:24 PM UTC
Mark, I'm really intrigued by Tamiya's approach to how this it goes together.

Indeed it is strange to see screws used to assemble the hull as opposed to glue. But, no doubt the intent by Tamiya is portray Yamato as accurately as possible. Perhaps they have taken what they have learned from their armor kits and applied it here?

So far, you're doing a great job!
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 23, 2019 - 06:31 AM UTC
Hi Mark,

You are doing a great job concealing the seams on this Yamato. It looks to be a beautifully detailed kit.

I can't help wondering, though, what was the Tamiya design team thinking on this one? Even though the fit appears to be up to the usual Tamiya standard of excellence, they have taken a complex approach to solving a simple problem. Their old 1970s 1/350 Yamato had a very accurate single piece hull, and the main deck was only two pieces because they included access for motorization. This new design appears to accomplish much the same thing but with extra seams to fill.

Anyway, your build is looking very good so far - I'm looking forward to watching it progress!
Quincannon
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 275 posts
Model Shipwrights: 273 posts
Posted: Monday, June 24, 2019 - 04:48 AM UTC
I ran into the nearly the same thing on my current Shimakaze (by Fujimi) build.

No screws but the hull is built around a central skeletal structure, with lower hull, and port and starboard sides as well as a multi piece deck being added to the central core very much like a skin over a frame.

I am not a model engineer but the result is a very strong hull and absolutely no problems with fit or alignment issues. The seam between the lower and upper portion of the hull is so tight I see no need to fill it, a job I really dislike anyway. Always thought the Tamiya Kagero was good, but I think I like how Fujimi did shimakaze better.

That is a very clean seam job, and look forward to following the rest of this build closely.

Has anyone heard from Simon? It has been better than two weeks since he last posted.
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Monday, June 24, 2019 - 01:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Mark, I'm really intrigued by Tamiya's approach to how this it goes together.

Indeed it is strange to see screws used to assemble the hull as opposed to glue. But, no doubt the intent by Tamiya is portray Yamato as accurately as possible. Perhaps they have taken what they have learned from their armor kits and applied it here?

So far, you're doing a great job!

Thanks Russell. That is the only reason I can come up with on how they moulded the Kit.....Cheers Mark
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Monday, June 24, 2019 - 01:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

That is a lot of screws, I don't think I seen as many on a 1/200 model ship than I seen on your 1/350 Yamato. I guess it is nice to know that the hull and deck strength is relied on by metal and not glue or alignment.

Mark

Thanks Mark. It seems strange but it works.....Cheers mark
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Monday, June 24, 2019 - 01:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Mark,

You are doing a great job concealing the seams on this Yamato. It looks to be a beautifully detailed kit.

I can't help wondering, though, what was the Tamiya design team thinking on this one? Even though the fit appears to be up to the usual Tamiya standard of excellence, they have taken a complex approach to solving a simple problem. Their old 1970s 1/350 Yamato had a very accurate single piece hull, and the main deck was only two pieces because they included access for motorization. This new design appears to accomplish much the same thing but with extra seams to fill.

Anyway, your build is looking very good so far - I'm looking forward to watching it progress!

Thanks Tim. The new Hull has much more moulded and crisper Detail than the older Version. Could be the reason why.....Cheers mark
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Monday, June 24, 2019 - 01:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I ran into the nearly the same thing on my current Shimakaze (by Fujimi) build.

No screws but the hull is built around a central skeletal structure, with lower hull, and port and starboard sides as well as a multi piece deck being added to the central core very much like a skin over a frame.

I am not a model engineer but the result is a very strong hull and absolutely no problems with fit or alignment issues. The seam between the lower and upper portion of the hull is so tight I see no need to fill it, a job I really dislike anyway. Always thought the Tamiya Kagero was good, but I think I like how Fujimi did shimakaze better.

That is a very clean seam job, and look forward to following the rest of this build closely.

Has anyone heard from Simon? It has been better than two weeks since he last posted.

The Hull on this Kit is extremely strong and also heavy. Gives her a nice weighty feel. Also I was wondering about Si also. He posts on a very regular basis and it is very unlike him.
Choowy
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 125 posts
Model Shipwrights: 125 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2019 - 08:45 PM UTC
Mate this thing is a monster!!
Looking forward to seeing you progress it. Good luck!! Nice start so far.
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, June 27, 2019 - 09:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Also I was wondering about Si also. He posts on a very regular basis and it is very unlike him.

It's not the first time Si has gone AWOL. Usually happens when he's flat out with other types of builds, wing things etc...
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Model Shipwrights: 871 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 27, 2019 - 11:04 PM UTC
Nice start Mark, and as said, that hull and deck look like a solid piece of construction.

cheers
Michael
 _GOTOTOP