_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Lone Star Models Ironclads 1/192 scale
woodstock74
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,189 posts
Model Shipwrights: 102 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 01:53 PM UTC
Was wondering if anyone here has made any of their kits? I've been looking throughout the Net and have seen precious few images of built up versions. I recieved my Virginia eBay purchase and I curious to see some built examples of that any other Lone Star kits as I have my eye on a few more. The only images I've seen are the ones on Lone Star's site plus a small handful of others.
woodstock74
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 10:52 PM UTC
Anyone?
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 11:19 PM UTC
Hi Mike...

Yes this is a though one!
Here's my search result (don't know if it is different from yours, though)
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&lr=&q=ironclad&as_q=1%2F192

Sorry mate

Skipper
woodstock74
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 12:33 PM UTC
Thanks Skip, though I did the same and saw those. Its too bad as I'm having fun with mine! I'm more of an armor/car guy, this is my first ship:

I've completely hollowed out the casemate as it comes cast solid:

skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 12:27 AM UTC
Hi Mike!

You're going well! Whenever I can, or if it is suitable, I always remove the resin "excess"...
Your looks good!
Keep enjoying and also, keep us updated

Skipper
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,242 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,064 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 01:52 AM UTC
Hmmmmm I like the looks of your CSS Virginia, it looks to be a little over a foot long? Is this a waterline kit or does it come with a full hull? If I'm not being a big snoop, how much did the kit cost you? I really do like the looks of it.

Yes, please, keep updating the progress, I would really like to see the final product.

Thanks for sharing
Steve
woodstock74
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 04:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hmmmmm I like the looks of your CSS Virginia, it looks to be a little over a foot long? Is this a waterline kit or does it come with a full hull? If I'm not being a big snoop, how much did the kit cost you? I really do like the looks of it.

Yes, please, keep updating the progress, I would really like to see the final product.

Thanks for sharing
Steve

I'd have to measure it, but it is over 12" long, more like 16+, I'll put it to a ruler when I get home tonight. This is a full hull kit, all of LSM's are and that is what drew me to them as opposed to Verlinden's waterline ironclads. Scale is 1/192. Price, well, this was an eBay purchase and I jumped on it as it was priced at only $20. I see from LSM's site the CSS Virginia that his goes for $100 retail! Though let it be known, Mike (West) of LSM indicated to me that he's having a 20% off sale (and subsequently I ordered a CSS Albemarle) . Though to also add, he's evacuating due to Hurricane Rita so he might be off line for a while!
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 07:03 AM UTC
When you say you hollowed out the casement area, are you talking about the entire casement or just that center roof section? Also, what code did you use to find the kit on ebay. Css Virginia or ironclads or what, If I can find some of these fairly cheap, I might have a go at one. LOve those southern rams baby !!!!!!!!!
woodstock74
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 08:19 AM UTC
See the pictures above, they show exactely what I did. Regarding eBay, usually I look under CSS Virginia (...Monitor, Atlanta, etc.), ironclads, Lone Star Models, etc. Though I must admit, I got mine about 2 weeks ago and haven't seen one since. I think they are a pretty rare commodity on eBay.
woodstock74
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 01:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for sharing
Steve

Steve,

I had a measure, the upper hull/casemate (what you can see in my images above) measures 15.5" approximately. That doesn't include the fantail that covers the steering gear, propellor, and rudder. Would say that adds about another 1.5".
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2005 - 07:02 AM UTC
Yeah, that is a nice sized model. I really do think I'll try to find one of those some day. I've always liked Iron Clads, though I never have had much interest in the ACV, but have always liked those and Civil War coastal guns and the like..

Thanks Mike, for the information.
Steve
woodstock74
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2005 - 08:12 AM UTC
Hey no problem. Not sure what resparked this interest in me, had a childhood interest in the ACW and then a few weeks ago the wife says she wants to take a family trip to Charleston...oooohhhh...Sumter, Moultrie, Hunley! That must have been it!
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2005 - 11:12 AM UTC
Yeaaahhhh Lots of photos! Lots of reference...if you bring back some Hunley shots, Skipper would be your friend for life! :-)

Have Fun!

Steve
woodstock74
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2005 - 12:20 PM UTC
A guy I work with just came back from seeing the Hunley and he said you aren't allowed to take any photos! I was really surprised (and dissapointed).
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2005 - 02:04 PM UTC
Really? That sucks. Although, I suspect that's true. Photo flash will effect preservation efforts....well, enjoy the trip anyway.
woodstock74
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2005 - 01:08 PM UTC
Just an update, top decking going in:

skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2005 - 11:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yeaaahhhh Lots of photos! Lots of reference...if you bring back some Hunley shots, Skipper would be your friend for life! :-)

Have Fun!

Steve

Even if you don't bring lots of photo references... I will :-)

Keep up the good work and enjoy your trip

Skipper
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 02:01 AM UTC
Is the deck photo etch Mike?
woodstock74
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 11:29 AM UTC
Hi Steve,

No, not photo etched, injection molded. Apparently the Virginia's upper deck was grated the entire length.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Model Shipwrights: 453 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 12:14 PM UTC
Howdy fellas,

Mike!........just shuffled by this thread, and I must say, I am very excited by your project!!!...As I've said already, a longggg time ago, anything that generate's interest in Ironclads is 'Jake' with me!
I really like the fact that you're taking the time to Rotocast {hollow out} the interior of the casemate....nice goin'
So, apparently you plan on building an interior?....based on this assumption of mine...how intricate is your plan for the interior?...and, which cannon's do you intend to use? Remember, the Confederate's ran off with most what the Union left at Gosport......if you need any help in this regard, don't hesitate to ask. I may be scarce around here lately, but believe me, I'll research your particulars just as deeply as I can.
Also, what is your plan for the gunport aperture door's?....again, you need to remember that the Union and the Confederacy employed different methods for this......

Tread.
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 01:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Steve,

No, not photo etched, injection molded. Apparently the Virginia's upper deck was grated the entire length.

I'll be darned, it looked like photo etch. How much of the kit is resin and plastic? Does it have any metal parts? The cannons maybe? I thought of your project today as I looking through a publishers catalog and ran across a work on the Virginia and the Monitor. Between your project and Gordon's, you guys are about to set the hook into me. I'm really getting interested in these.

Thanks for putting up with my constant questions
Steve
woodstock74
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 02:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Steve,

I'll be darned, it looked like photo etch. How much of the kit is resin and plastic? Does it have any metal parts? The cannons maybe? I thought of your project today as I looking through a publishers catalog and ran across a work on the Virginia and the Monitor. Between your project and Gordon's, you guys are about to set the hook into me. I'm really getting interested in these.

Thanks for putting up with my constant questions
Steve

Hey no problem! I was a bit dissapointed that not many others were into ironclads so if I can hook someone, perfect. The kit has a lot of metal, the anchors, cannon barrels, ram/beak, ventallation ducts, propellor/screw, rope tie downs (not sure the "nautical" term, I'm a car/armor guy afterall!), and anchor chain are all metal. The casemate and hull are resin as well as the rudder. You have to create the fantail out of styrene as well as the break water and "hawser pipe" (bascially the bracket that the anchor chain runs through). He provides some styrene for this but I dug out something more susbstantial that matches the scale drawing that comes with the kit. I've also just ordered a full complement of gun carriages/barrels considering I've hollowed out the hull. Not sure how they'll work but I'm willing to give it a go. Hopefully my Albemarle will be here next week and I can work on them concurrently. Anyone have any good color references for something like the CSS Virginia? I'm assuming it is mostly black/raw iron?
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 03:32 PM UTC
Mike,
Here's a pretty good web site I used when I helped my youngest with a school project last year. It had some photos and a lot of artist renderings, but I would suspect that there was some research involved before they produced the work.
http://cssvirginia.org/

Hope it will help some.
Steve
woodstock74
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2005 - 11:50 PM UTC
Have an "issue" and I'm not sure how to approach it. As you can see I've hollowed out the casemate on my Virginia. I went ahead and purchased the armament, 2 pivot mounted guns and 8 broadside. The issue I am dealing with is once I'm ready to install the cannons, how do I properly line them up with the gun ports as I can't really manuever them with the casemate in place (can't physically get to them). Any ideas? If this doesn't make sense I can post images after work tonight. I figured you ship guys would have a work around (hopefully)...
woodstock74
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 21, 2005 - 01:03 AM UTC
So nooobody has ever had to blind posted something into a casemate/gundeck?
 _GOTOTOP