_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Garry Beebe's Dreadnought Campaign Roll-Call
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 03:51 AM UTC
Hi all!

Hmm... Apparently everybody is working hard on their entries!
Any updates to share?
Any questions, problem/solution report?

C'mon Guys! We have to make this an Excellent Campaign!!!

Share your work!

Skipper
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 03:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all!

Hmm... Apparently everybody is working hard on their entries!
Any updates to share?
Any questions, problem/solution report?

C'mon Guys! We have to make this an Excellent Campaign!!!

Share your work!

Skipper

Greetings, Rui!
It does seem as if the banter has decreased lately, doesn't it? All in all, though, I do feel that everything's going well...How about it, mates? Speak up, tell us what's going on with your builds?!?
Gunny
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Model Shipwrights: 67 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 04:02 AM UTC
Just curious Rui, is this the last of the Garry builds? If so, it seems a shame that this could be closing the doors on Garry's builds.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 04:16 AM UTC
No Way, Robin! We're just gettin started Bro!...check this out;

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Campaigns&file=index&req=showcontent&id=84

Gunny

PS..and there's still LOTS of room for more entries!
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 04:36 AM UTC
Still hanging in there on the Bismarck. No promises but I might also want to complete a Warspite I started years ago, and maybe a Hood. We'll see.

As for the Flatops campaign I'm itiching to start an old Revell USS Yorktown I've got up in the closet.

Even though Garry didn't set them up we could also have memorial campaigns for Cruisers and Destroyers, and finish up the fleet.

skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 04:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just curious Rui, is this the last of the Garry builds? If so, it seems a shame that this could be closing the doors on Garry's builds.

Hi Robin

At the time Garry passed away (Easter friday, 2005) we were heavily commited with DDD (Dive! Dive! Dive! Campaign), but that didn't stop us and we were already talking about what more could be donne! Dreadnoughts and Flattops were "obvious" first choices and the Campign names were already "choosen and closed" (in a democratic way)... the Garry Beebe's was added later in his Honour.
Flattops is about to start in January 1st, 2006

I also have submited another Campaign DDD2, but with no feedback from the "Campaign Master"...
This DDD2 should start in the day that it will make one year since our Dear Friend has left us.

Skipper
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 5,435 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 04:49 AM UTC
Well, waiting for me PE railing to arrive, along with a German U-boat to join my Scharnhorst on a diroama!

Got to find some time to take decent pics...

Martin
redneck
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,602 posts
Model Shipwrights: 665 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 04:52 AM UTC
The USS Pennsylvania is almost complete.

I’ve started on the mainmast and after that all I have to do is add some cranes and most of the AA guns.

Also the flagstaff snapped off the back of the ship and disappeared. So I’ve cut down a pin to replace it with.

She doesn’t need much more done but I don’t know when I’ll get to it with hunting season here.

Blade48mrd
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,185 posts
Model Shipwrights: 35 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 05:36 AM UTC
Gunny & Skipper -

With things slowing down a bit just before the Holidays, maybe we need a little Christmas cheer and generate some more/new interest in "Dreadnoughts". We still have til April 2006 (thank goodness, on a personal note, as I've just opened the box for my USS Washington) for more entries and plenty of time to get things up to flank speed. So for a little "Ho, Ho, Ho" and "Fla, La, La", I'll re-offer my original offer of "FREE" 1/700th Waterline kits to anyone wanting to join in "Dreadnoughts" and continue Garry Beebe's tribute. The only "catch" is that you have to join the "Dreadnoughts" Campaign and complete your build. We managed to set up over a dozen entrants in the first go- around , and I think I have about that many more kits. With the Christmas decorations coming out, I'm getting a chance to get into those attic boxes and am discovering more of the "Battleships stash" I'd started several years ago. This offer is first for those who haven't joined up, but after the Holidays I'll open it to any who wants what's left. Sound fair enough?Currently, I have the following available for now and hopefully more to come (all 1/700th Waterline):

Aoshima - Japanese IJN Yamashiro
Fujimi - Japanese IJN Haruna
Fujimi - Japanese IJN Hiei
Fujimi - Japanese IJN Musashi
Fujimi - Japanese IJN Yamato
Fujimi - German DKM Deutschland
Fujimi - German DKM Admiral Speer
Hasegawa - USS Alabama
Tamiya - British HMS Rodney
Tamiya - British HMS King George V

Alright you salty dogs. Nobody is being "Shanghai'd" here so send me a PM and reserve yourself a "big floaty thing" and join up with "Dreadnoughts".

Blade48mrd
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 11:29 AM UTC
Just out of curiousity Mike, whcih versions of those Fujimi Yamato and Musashi are those. I picked up an "initial" Musashi kit that was made by Tamiya. I have the large 350 scale final Yamato. If you don't get a taker for those two kits , I'll gladly add them to my Yamato collection. I finished my Bismarck, but am still fairly deep into a Viet Nam diorama . Which reminds me, I have to photo the jeep and submit for my Nam Campaign. Also have a M-3 Lee on the paint rack. Then we start FLat-top and I have a major challenge with the 350 scale Lexington conversion. So I have completed my entry for the Dreadnaughts with my 350 scale BIsmarck. I did just get the 350 scale NC, but am awaiting the PE for it, did finally figure out an acceptable paint scheme which will be post war around the late 45 early 46 time frame. (So sick of doing blue deck ships !)
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,412 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 11:57 AM UTC
Im currently trying to paint the deck of the sharnhorst Mike sent me. its a nice baby, building it was a blast, but... i made a mistake.. i should have kept it in sub assemblies before painting! lol :-) so right now im struggling, i figured out the color i wanted to use for the deck. once i finish the paint, il seal it with a few coats of future, give it soem washes and drybrushing, and by the time thats done il have recieved my weathering powders for christmas which i plan on trying.

In progress soon, my gallery was full and needed to be emptied before uplaoding.
Frank
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Model Shipwrights: 85 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 06:33 PM UTC
Yamato finished and pics in the campaign gallery.
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
KitMaker: 2,174 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 02:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nobody is being "Shanghai'd" here so send me a PM and reserve yourself a "big floaty thing" and join up with "Dreadnoughts".
[:::]

Mike, I just signed up for the campaign though I have never built a ship. If you can please send me the Yamato or the Alabama or the King George, in that order of preference I will be happy to build it. If all those are taken, either of the German tubs.

I have just PM'd you my address.I know Sri Lanka's a bit far away, and I'll be willing to pay for postage if you like.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 04:37 AM UTC
Well David, welcome to Dreadnoughts, and the salty side, mate!
Don't be shy, first ship build or not, research your ship, and get busy when it arrives! Post lot's of progress pics in the forum and the campaign album, and don't be afraid to ask if you don't know...there's alot of knowledge lurking in these waters, mate!
Gunny

And Mike, thanks again, my friend!
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 01:12 PM UTC
Hey guys. Working on a 1/350 Arizona. Got most of the sub assemblies done nd getting ready to start putting on paint. I've done it water-line and going to have it moored at it's final resting place.

Subhunter
lennythexdca
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 34 posts
Model Shipwrights: 25 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 03:30 PM UTC
Still sloogoing through the "Potemkin" progress is slow due to the kit being of a very poor quality. I run into obstacles at every turn.
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
KitMaker: 2,174 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 03:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well David, welcome to Dreadnoughts, and the salty side, mate!

Thanks, Gunny. Standing by to board! As soon as the ship arrives in Sri Lanka, anyway.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 25, 2005 - 11:38 AM UTC
Hey, Skipper....
something just dawned upon my mind, Bro...where are YOUR progress pics, sir??? :-) ...(tee-hee...sorry Rui, I just couldn't resist teasing YOU this time!!!)..But seriously, Skipp, when the heck am I gonna see this entry of yours, man? I've been waiting for soooooo long!
Gunny
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Model Shipwrights: 36 posts
Posted: Friday, November 25, 2005 - 12:24 PM UTC
I have done some small pre-lim work on my BB/CV Ise. I am using the older kit, so I am having to do a LOT of research...I just cannot let the model slide the way it looks...PE railings and crummy detailing would just be a big no no, so...

Now, Once I get the "flight deck" area scribed properly and have added the supports for the Pagoda's, then I have to worry about painting, and PE! Sigh.
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
Model Shipwrights: 248 posts
Posted: Friday, November 25, 2005 - 07:02 PM UTC
Mike,

Sign me up for the Nelson / Rodney.

I'll PM to confirm
Thiazi
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 66 posts
Posted: Friday, November 25, 2005 - 08:12 PM UTC
I've completed a fair bit of the 1/700 Fujimi Hiei that Blade48 generously donated. I'll try and get my camera working and take some in-progress shots but I warn you all that this is my first ship and won't be nearly up to par with you guys. Regardless, I am thoroughly enjoying the build so far.
MadMomma
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 7 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 12:25 PM UTC
Well after 16 days straight I counldn't be happier about the Thanks Giving Holiday!!!!!! Ate slept and got busy. The hull is painted and assembled given some touch up and the life boats are complete save tying down the oars. The deck is in progress of getting a wash and some of the masts are painted. Posted some pics....big kit need another shelf or three
http://photos.kitmaker.net/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=5405
MadMomma
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 7 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 12:29 PM UTC
Well still technologically challeged and seem unable to post pic in the forum. However did manage to put them in the progress album.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 - 12:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well still technologically challeged and seem unable to post pic in the forum. However did manage to put them in the progress album.

Looks good, Rhonda...keep up the great work and the progress pics!
Gunny

" TARGET="_blank">
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 - 09:32 AM UTC
You've got the easy part done now. Get the masts in and then the fun begins.........RIGGING !!!!!!!!!!!
 _GOTOTOP