General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
YO!! Dreadnoughts Rally Call!
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Model Shipwrights: 934 posts
Posted: Friday, January 20, 2006 - 01:21 AM UTC
Hi Gunny,

I'm in the process of getting the three 'tank' campaigns completed now, should have them cleared by the last week of Jan. Then I'll do the 'show us your teeth' campaign, which should take me a week or less, and then I'll start my HMS Dreadnought, giving me about 2 months to complete this 700 Combrig kit. It's alot of work, but I'm sitting here at home recovering from a sports injury, and frankly,.... time is something I have plenty of right now!

Frank
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Friday, January 20, 2006 - 01:43 AM UTC
I finished my Bismarck way back in September or October. Deep into my Lexington right now which I am right on track on. I start back to school on Monday, so I knew I would lose most of my modeling time.
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 574 posts
Model Shipwrights: 530 posts
Posted: Friday, January 20, 2006 - 08:21 AM UTC
Better late than never - finally started my entry to the Dreadnoughts Campaing: the Tamiya 1/700 Gneisenau.

I'm going build the model as Gneisenau appeared in June 1940, after being torpedoed by the British submarine HMS Clyde. While waiting to sail back to Germany for repairs, the ships hull was painted in a one off dazzle scheme, which I'm going to try and replicate. There's a murky picture of the camo over on the Scharnhorst Class site, in the Gneisenau gallery, under Operation Juno.

I'll be using the White Ensign PE set designed for the Scharnhorst class. If I get really energetic and have the time, I may replace the 37mm AA guns with the WEM PE versions. That last part is a BIG maybe! I'm also going to use the Clipper brass gun barrels designed for the German 11" naval rifle.

To date, all I've done is paint the main deck and assemble and test fit some subassemblies. Here's what it looks like so far:

The Gneisenau I want to build had some changes to her that differed from the out of the box Tamiya kit - the admiral's bridge was enclosed by this time, the catapult was removed from the aft turret and the superstructure surrounding the midships catapult is different. Apparently the Germans changed this area as often as some people change their clothes. However, I think I'm going to leave this structure as is - if I remove the part of the structure that needs to go, I'll have to scrape off the plastic underneath and rescribe the deck. Waaaay too much work to do, especially in 700th scale. Much thanks to Antonio Bonomi over at the K-Bismark site, who kindly provided me with drawings on other research he had.

To get the parts I needed for the version I wanted to do, I bought a "spare" 1/700 Tamiya Scharnhorst at a show (for $10!) and pirated the parts I needed ( then turned the remainder over to my 5 year old to play with when he visits me in my workshop).

Anyway - I hope to get some work done this weekend, family permitting.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 05:14 PM UTC
Hi Mark and all

I am in the same situation as Martin Quinn
I have satrted my Dreadnoughts entry this weekend!

It's the Dragon 1/700 special edition USS Arizona BB-39

The model brings PE raillings and some more details, an alloy casted turrets and cranes, scale chain and 12 turned brass barrels. It is a nice thouch and we (modelers) could have a great model without having to spend extra money in this AM parts...

So far I have glued a few parts and have given a first coat on the decks.

I'll update my progress soon

Enjoy the pics

Skipper

Box top art

Contents (plastic, PE Set, Metal Parts, Brass Barrels and chain)

Detail on the Alloy casted parts and brass barrels

First coat to the deck colour (an old but faithfull Humbrol Authentic colours)

First coat to the deck colour and detail on turret
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2006 - 12:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Mark and all

I am in the same situation as Martin Quinn
I have satrted my Dreadnoughts entry this weekend!

It's the Dragon 1/700 special edition USS Arizona BB-39

So far I have glued a few parts and have given a first coat on the decks.

I'll update my progress soon

Enjoy the pics

Skipper

Hey, Skipper!
Looks like a really good kit, and a great entry, my friend...looking forward to seeing your progress, mate!...Dreadnoughts AND Flattops! You best get busy, Rui! :-)
Gunny
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2006 - 04:31 PM UTC
Hi Mark

Yes I think I need to get busy - but now I have my time (again)!

A little update on my last night work:
- filled the seems on the deck (noticeable on the above pictures), scribed the deck boards, second coat of deck colour and made anothe turret.
Also gave an artist oil wash (burned sienna) on the area that will be covered by the 01 deck to see if it works for having a little "texture"/volume to the deck.
I think it works - pictures tomorrow

Skipper
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
KitMaker: 2,174 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2006 - 05:03 PM UTC
Still waiting for Mike's Alabama to get here and worrying that I'll run out of time. And having nightmares about packing her up for the move to Germany.
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 07:37 PM UTC
I've been on jury duty this week, which means two things:

1) I'm doing my civic duty

2) More time to build! (The county courthouse is only 4 1/2 miles from my house, so I'm home much earlier).

As a result, I've been able to make some progress on the Gneisenau....

Clipper turned brass gun barrels have been installed in all three turrets. Here is what the clipper barrels look (top) compared to the the kit barrels (bottom).

The superstructure parts are in small sub-assemblies, seams have been filled and sanded where needed, and everything has been test fitted - the next step is to paint:

Here's an overview of where things stand as of this morning:

That's actually the hull from the Tamiya Scharnhorst the sub-assemblies are sitting on - the hull I'll be using for the Gneisenau has the deck masked off (hard to dry fit parts over tape!). The base hull color (Dunkelgrau 51) is painted, I just need to mask and spray the second color of the camouflage (Dunkelgrau 2) onto the hull - hopefully I'll get to do that tonight.

Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 08:06 PM UTC
Looking good, Gentlemen! Let's keep the discussion lines open, mates! How about the rest of ye'? How are your builds coming along?
Gunny
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 09:05 PM UTC
Hi All

My Dragon 1/700 USS Arizona BB-39 update
deck seams filled, burned sienna applied to deck colour and cleaned the excess, dry brushed again with deck colour.

Turrets placed just to see how it looks

And a great weekend coming - more modeling time

Skipper
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2006 - 12:30 AM UTC
Hi, my friends!
Got anything new to share with me? how's the Dreadnoughts builds coming along? Haven't heard anything for a while, so you all must be celebrating the extension by building away feverishly! C'mon, guys, talk to me! Arghhhhh!!! (Looks great, Rui!...)
Gunny
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2006 - 03:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi, my friends!
Got anything new to share with me? how's the Dreadnoughts builds coming along? Haven't heard anything for a while, so you all must be celebrating the extension by building away feverishly! C'mon, guys, talk to me! Arghhhhh!!! (Looks great, Rui!...)
Gunny

Ok - here is an update. The Gneisenau has all her major painting done via airbrush. Next, I have to brush paint some smaller areas in Hellgrau 50 and Dunkelgrau 2 (the steel decks). The camo has also been painted onto the hull. Here is how she looks, with the major sub-assembies dry-fitted and painted:

Comments and critiques welcome...
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2006 - 04:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi, my friends!
Gunny

Ok - here is an update. The Gneisenau has all her major painting done via airbrush. Next, I have to brush paint some smaller areas in Hellgrau 50 and Dunkelgrau 2 (the steel decks). The camo has also been painted onto the hull. Here is how she looks, with the major sub-assembies dry-fitted and painted:

Comments and critiques welcome...

Looking sweeeeet, Martin!!
This is going to make for an excellent entry in this campaign, mate! Keep up the great work and keep us posted on your progress!
Gunny
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2006 - 05:33 PM UTC
Hey Martin and all!

Your Gneisenau looks great!!!
This is also shows that I am a slooooooooow worker

Here are my updates on my BB-39 USS Arizona
(I ordered a PE set to replace the cranes and catapults - If I have raillings and some ladders in PE, the cranes and catapults look so ugly)
I also have included a photo from a book (illustration) that will be my dio guide and inspiration!

Comments are most welcome!

Skipper

Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2006 - 05:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Martin and all!

Your Gneisenau looks great!!!
This is also shows that I am a slooooooooow worker

Here are my updates on my BB-39 USS Arizona
(I ordered a PE set to replace the cranes and catapults - If I have raillings and some ladders in PE, the cranes and catapults look so ugly)
I also have included a photo from a book (illustration) that will be my dio guide and inspiration!

Comments are most welcome!

Skipper

Hello, My Friend!
Rui, the old saying goes "Slow and steady wins the race"!...so don't be concerned about speed, mate...also, with the extension there is plenty of time! Your entry is comong along beautifully, looks great thus far! Thanks for keeping us posted!
Gunny
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Model Shipwrights: 36 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 04:44 AM UTC
Alright...I jumped in on the ISE...

No pictures yet, but I have started with LOTS of dryfitting and replacing some of the splinter shielding with Evergreen. I have removed several of the "pagoda" support pieces that will be replaced with PE...a pain.

I also started working on the turrets. Not only are the detail piece poor, but the turrets themselves need ladders and such and...

...I recieved all my Voyager PE frets I ordered. And it looks like I need them. And thanks to our friends over at Modelwarships.com I now also have the detail specs I need to work on the hanger/elevator area and the rear of the ship.

Now to the forceps and paint... :-)

I will post pics soon.
Blade48mrd
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,185 posts
Model Shipwrights: 35 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 04:57 AM UTC
Gunny -

First off, thanks for keeping these big ships afloat and especially for the extension. That saved me from some embarrassment due to late deliveries on the last couple 1/700 kits as well as helping those that were the 'victims'. Now they have a fighting chance to get their builds done. Also helps me out as I am finally getting something done on my USS Washington. that brings me to a question. What/where is a good source for turned barrels for main guns and a good PE set for railings? I'll get there eventually and thanks for everyone's patience.

Blade48mrd
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 05:02 AM UTC
No pics today, I'll get some up tomorrow, but my ship the Deutschland is 100% built, just needs some paint on her, no weathiering, I think I'm going to display her on a stained base with a nice little nametag
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 06:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Gunny -

First off, thanks for keeping these big ships afloat and especially for the extension. That saved me from some embarrassment due to late deliveries on the last couple 1/700 kits as well as helping those that were the 'victims'. Now they have a fighting chance to get their builds done. Also helps me out as I am finally getting something done on my USS Washington. that brings me to a question. What/where is a good source for turned barrels for main guns and a good PE set for railings? I'll get there eventually and thanks for everyone's patience.

Blade48mrd

Hey, Mike!
No problem, mate, my pleasure actually...I really don't want these campaigns to end, I'm really having fun with these! As far as a good PE set, Gold medal Models has some fantastic PE sets and they're local in the U.S. Here's the link to them:
http://www.goldmm.com/

As far as a turned barrel, I dunno if White Ensign might carry them or not..I'll look around and see what I can come up with...in the meantime, Rui, are you out there???Ya' got any input on this?
Gunny
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 07:28 PM UTC
Hi All

In response to the turned brass barrels I would go for Steve Nutal - appart from being a member, his service is 100% top notch!

http://www.modelbarrels.com/

You should mention Armorama when contacting him

Skipper
Blade48mrd
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,185 posts
Model Shipwrights: 35 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 07:39 PM UTC
Gunny & Skipper -

Thanks every so. I"ll definitely look into those and let you know. I might get my USS Washington out of port after all. Thanks again,

Blade48mrd
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 05:46 PM UTC
Ay, Mates!
How we all doing today?? Did we all get to work on our Dreadnoughts entry's this weekend?? Talk to me!
Gunny
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 08:36 PM UTC
Hi Gunny and All

As you know, my project is to try to replicate this scene:

So after a lot of sanding and cutting I came out with this:

It's in 1/700, of course, and it is supposed to be a Fleet Tug!
In the case I wasn't able to make it, I have ordered a 1/700 fleet tug (on wednesday - the day I started this).
I think I will get a spare tug

What do you say?

Skiper
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Model Shipwrights: 934 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 10:26 PM UTC
Fantastic Tug, Rui!,.... especially considering it's 700 scale! look forward to seeing it completed.

Frank
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 11:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Fantastic Tug, Rui!,.... especially considering it's 700 scale! look forward to seeing it completed.

Frank

Thanks Frank
Most of all it was fun to scratchbuilt something this small - it is harder than it looks.
Since I ordered one from Loose Canon models, I am looking forward for the resin one to arrive and see the differences
Thanks

Skipper