_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
YO!! Dreadnoughts Rally Call!
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 05:25 PM UTC
Greetings, Mates!
Now that Flattops has begun, we can't lose sight of the Dreadnoughts Campaign, which still has over three months of build time left to go...How about a little update of your progress?? And don't forget that you must post your finished entry in the campaign album in the gallery when finished, as this is what I will use to award your completion ribbons and to give you all the credit that you deserve for helping to make this a great campaign! So c'mon, guys, show me what you been up to!
Gunny
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 1,610 posts
Model Shipwrights: 566 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 07:57 PM UTC
Despite the lack of photos, I HAVE been quite busy and making some steady progress. I'm waiting to get to the point where I'm ready to do some painting before I stop and take some pictures. There is STILL a ton of work to do and I'm not sure whether I'll be totally finished by the end of the campaign. But I still live by the old motto, "Train to standard, not to time."

(John R, I'm sure you remember that one!!)

Tom
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
Model Shipwrights: 248 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 08:07 PM UTC
I'm off and crawling on my Nelson (Thanks Mike!). Since I know little about BB's in general and British ones in particular it's a huge challenge.

I should hit critical mass on references and brass this weekend and really start moving. Maybe even get a picture up.
Blade48mrd
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,185 posts
Model Shipwrights: 35 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 10:16 PM UTC
Gunny -

Still getting back in gear after Holidays that were full of family, but unfortunately not much modeling. Still making slow progress on USS Washington, but should get there in time. I'd like to show "in water" and put it on a plague or in frame. I've used artist's acrylic gels for this before but it was a long time ago and I don't know if this is the best way. Also would like to depict a couple "geysers" from near misses (USS Washington fought Japanese Battleship Kirishima on 15 Nov 1942 in the "Slot"). Any ideas/help appreciated.
Also with "Dreadnoughts" nearing end, I still have a couple 1/700 "Waterline" kits available to give out to anyone joining later or they'd also be available for those trying for "seconds". I have;
Fujimi DKM Admiral Scheer
Fujimi DKM Graf Spee
Fujimi IJN Hiei
Hasegawa USS Alabama

That should do it for "Dreadnoughts" and thanks for keep things runnings so great. A fantastic tribute to Garry and "Flat Tops" looks like it will be every bit as fantastic. Aaaarrrr but you run a tight ship, matey!

Blade48mrd
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 10:35 PM UTC
Mike...
Thanks again, Bro, for helping to make this campaign a success!! Your offering of all of the kits that you have donated is well appreciated! I put up a thread over at the General Modeling section of the forums to try to help you to assign the last kits from your stash...Take care, my friend.
Mark
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 01:10 AM UTC
I'm waiting on my PE set from Trident and still have to figure out how to do the water. I did come across a full hull Hasegawa kit of the IJN Haruna, but it's a little too much for my pocket book right now, especially with the PE set I already bought. As soon as that gets here, I hope to get busy.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 04:09 AM UTC
I sure hope my picture made it to the gallery, if not it is posted in my section The Bismarck was the ship of choice
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,242 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,064 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 05:36 AM UTC
I'll be ordering my PE from GMM tomorrow and I'll be on track again. I hope.

Did someone say...extention?
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 05:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The Bismarck was the ship of choice

That came out looking pretty darn nice Steve. How did you accomplish your swastikas onr the deck? Did you use sprue for you cables?

Very nice indeed.

Steve
jRatz
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,171 posts
Model Shipwrights: 134 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 06:00 AM UTC
Trumpeter's BB-55 North Carolina, with all sorts of after market -- LIon Roar, GMM, WEM ...

I quit screwinf with the hull & decks -- I simply got tired of sanding ....

So I decided to give myself a break by working on the 16" & 5" turrets. MORE SANDING !!! The turret bodies are in pieces for what reason I cannot figure, but when assembled, they have SEAMS !!! Not to mention the 5" turrets are missing one telescope housing.

Anyway, I have finished SANDING the turret bodies & am ready to make the missing telescope housing and to add the PE w/t doors & details ...

If that goes well, I will spend more time on the overall kit.

Sorry to whine, but I'm just flat annoyed with this kit -- I think I've spent more time on fit & seams with this than the other half-dozen models that have passed over my bench (including old Airfix & Matchbox kits) total.

No reflection on the Campaign, I just let this kit get me down ...

John
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 07:00 AM UTC
Well, I've got my HMS Rodney completed. I'm trying for seconds with my 1/350 Arizona, but I don't know if I'll get it done in time. I don't want to rush and live to regret it. I'll post my pics this weekend.

Subhunter
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 04:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I sure hope my picture made it to the gallery, if not it is posted in my section The Bismarck was the ship of choice

Steve...
Relax Bro, your beauty is in there! Thanks for the fantastic entry!
Gunny
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 04:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

No reflection on the Campaign, I just let this kit get me down ...

John

Hey, John!
Don't let it get you down, Bro! We've all been in the same boat as you before, man...I'm sure there are alot of horror stories amongst us concerning that one kit that just drove you bonkers! We've got a little over three months left of this campaign, so try to relax and enjoy (if you can!) the rest of your build...every once in a while I really enjoy a challenging kit just to see what I come up with, besides frazzled nerves and acid reflux! We're all rootin' for your success, mate, so keep a steady keel!
Gunny
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 04:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, I've got my HMS Rodney completed. I'm trying for seconds with my 1/350 Arizona, but I don't know if I'll get it done in time. I don't want to rush and live to regret it. I'll post my pics this weekend.

Subhunter

That's the spirit, Mate!
Thanks, Kenny!
Gunny
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 04:20 PM UTC
Tom, Mark, and Darryl...
Keep pluggin' away, mates! And please keep us all posted of your success and progress!
Gunny
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 1,610 posts
Model Shipwrights: 566 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 12:13 AM UTC
I'm not having anywhere near the problems that John is with the North Carolina, but I have a different problem. I keep finding things as I do the Missouri that are "wrong" and I'm just not willing to live with because I can fix them.

Part of the problem, if you will, is that I have collected a huge amount of "resource" material in the form of books and plans and photos etc and when I compare these to the kit, I find things that don't match. There is no doubt that nobody would ever notice or care if they were left as supplied. Nobody, that is, but me. So I can't seem to refrain from "fixing them", and of course that adds time.

There is a perverse satisfaction when you look at the results and are pleased, but knowing that a bit more research and care on the part of the manufacturer would have provided the parts that way in the first place.

If I don't keep finding more "stuff", I'll be taking some shots before I do some painting in a couple of days or so.

Tom
MadMomma
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 7 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 07:24 AM UTC
I have been a lot busier than I ever expected so progress is slow but steady. The deck was interesting to keep together until I used some small sticks to keep it relatively flat and straight. I also have the Foremast complete (no pic at this time) and most of the Mizzen. I've done a lot of research and found a incredable amount of rigging left out per the instructions and so will try to rig that in along with cloth sails. Hope to make the dead line P.S. still a completely unable to post pic in this forum......(way off the learning curve on that) pics are in in progress.
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 08:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

P.S. still a completely unable to post pic in this forum......(way off the learning curve on that)

Meaning you're unsure how to do it or it just will not load?

If you're unsure how to do it, just load them onto the gallery page either yours or the campaign's; you'll find once they load it will provide you a URL to link in the forums and it will show your photo in the thread.

Now, if I've really muddied the waters here, let me know, send me a PM and I'll walk you through it. If the answer is none of the above....

Then...As you were. :-)

And..Carry on.

Another option, just e-mail them to me and I'll post them for you...PM and I'll send my e-mail to you.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 04:24 PM UTC
Ay, Mates!
Time for another check in...How's everyone doing with their builds?? I must remind you all again to please upload your finished pictures in the campaign gallery that the Skip created for us...we have a little over two months left on this build (April 1st deadline), are ye gonna' make it?!? And speaking of the Skipper, how's your build coming, mate? C'mon, Rui, fill us in!
Gunny
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,169 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,597 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 05:48 PM UTC
Hi Mark

I am all signed up.

I understand my kit is on its way.

I will let ya know the moment I get it.

I will get into it straight away when its received and update you accordingly.

All primed and ready to go.

Regards

Sean
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Model Shipwrights: 36 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 08:42 PM UTC
Doing some serious modification to the old Hasegawa 1/700 Ise CV/BB. The last detial parts I need have been ordered.

Info has been a B&%$H to come by, especially detail shots. Hope to do you guys proud with my first ship build.
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 08:11 AM UTC
I'll be posting my 1/700 HMS Rodney this weekend. It was awesome to find out that the Rodney was the one that fired most of the shells at the Bismarck.

Subhunter
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 07:11 PM UTC
Good morning, Mates!
Another week has passed since my last update request of ye', with a little over two months left of time on this excellent campaign, how about a little update?
Gunny
wombatq
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 39 posts
Posted: Friday, January 20, 2006 - 12:24 AM UTC
If you ask, I will write:

How is it going? Well, the kit is in the workshop, the refernces and paint schemes are on the bulletin board and I have a free weekend ahead of me.

I'll send a few happy snaps along next week.

Marc
how about a little update?
Gunny
[/quote]
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 20, 2006 - 12:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If you ask, I will write:

How is it going? Well, the kit is in the workshop, the refernces and paint schemes are on the bulletin board and I have a free weekend ahead of me.

I'll send a few happy snaps along next week.

Marc

I'll be looking forward to seeing them, Marc!
Thanks,
Gunny
 _GOTOTOP