Ships by Class/Type: Military Small Craft
For topics on PT boats, landing craft, Vietnam riverine, etc.
Italeri 1/35 scale S-100 Schnellboot
Robert75013
Visit this Community
Paris, France
KitMaker: 242 posts
Model Shipwrights: 240 posts
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2009 - 11:51 PM UTC
Hi, Bonjour,

I brought the plan to scale and discovered one more error...
While the outside length of the skull cap is correct (132 mm),
its inside length seems to be wrong. It should be 111 mm wide as measured and not 115 mm as Italeri/Cammett produced it. I guess there is not much to do at this point as it would require modifying everything inside...
Also, the lateral duckboards appear to number 10 stripes altogether and not 11 as presented on the Cammett resin upgrade.

Hope I am not ruining your day, gents!

Robert

awiskerke
Visit this Community
Netherlands
KitMaker: 336 posts
Model Shipwrights: 333 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 05:49 AM UTC
Hi Chris/Robert,
Thanks Chris for your comment about the hinges, not that it will stop me from adding some I see you've been busy Robert but your findings won't ruin my day. There are lots of smaller and bigger dimensional errors. In most cases you won't notice them, only in some instances they become a nuisance. When opening up the bridge communication ports for instance or positioning the speechtubes where they should be. The vertical top panels of the Italeri Kalotte also have a different angle compared to the real ones.

Cheers,

Arjan

Postscript: On the Modellmarine site there are some pics of a 1/72 conversion that give an indication of what the gunmount should look like:
http://www.modellmarine.de/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=690&directory=59
mcdurd
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 121 posts
Model Shipwrights: 105 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 12:32 AM UTC
Hi Robert -

I am past the point of heartburn on this project and the bridge is glued into place anyway! I only have the guns left to do (started last night) and then I will be able to prep for painting.

Chris
Robert75013
Visit this Community
Paris, France
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 09:34 PM UTC
I'll certainly make myself the spokesman of all of us by saying we are impatient to see the result, Chris!

Robert
Robert75013
Visit this Community
Paris, France
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2009 - 05:02 AM UTC
Hi again everybody,

I come to share with you the following idea for making the flexible voices tubes a bit more realistic:
an Evergreen .035"/0.88mm rod with a 0.2mm copper wire rolled up all around.
My feeling is that I shouldn't exceed 1mm in thickness, maybe a 0.77mm rod would do the trick, what do you think?

Robert
Gotrek58
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 673 posts
Model Shipwrights: 386 posts
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2009 - 07:29 AM UTC
Hi gents,
maybe someone'i interested in:

... for detailing the Azimut-crew:

Michael
dsotm
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 357 posts
Model Shipwrights: 31 posts
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2009 - 08:33 AM UTC
Guys

Just thought you would like to know, in the next few weeks Cammetts will be starting work on the mines using the example below from the Wheatcroft Collection. These will include the bases

Work will also commence on the S38B main deck engine room cover

Brian

awiskerke
Visit this Community
Netherlands
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2009 - 09:01 AM UTC
Good evening gents,
Not a bad idea Robert but it will be difficult to make them as thin or thinner than guitarstrings . Michael, I like the Peddinghaus decals a lot. Could you tell us where they can be ordered and how much they are? Might be an idea to share them since nobody is going to use them all. They also found an elegant solution to be politically correct about the swastikas Thanks for the info Brian.

Arjan
Gotrek58
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2009 - 09:52 AM UTC
Hi Arjan,
the decals are available from
http://www.peddinghaus-decals.de

EP 1721 S-boat-Sqd.-emblems 17,85€
EP 1719 S-boat emblems mediterranean sea 11,90€
EP 1720 S-Boat emblems north sea 14,28€
EP 705 KM uniform badges 7,14€

payment via PayPal - very simple

Michael
mcdurd
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2009 - 01:54 PM UTC
Arghhh! After working so hard to duplicate Ha-Ju - now they come out with decals!!!!

Those mines would look good on the stern so I think I will definitely only temporarily install the depth charge rails.

Nice job on the tubes Robert - that should give you the look you want, maybe mount the wire around a piece of solder so it is more flexible?

Chris
Robert75013
Visit this Community
Paris, France
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2009 - 09:37 PM UTC
Hi Chris and Arjan,

I checked with available 1:35 divers in models shops their flexible tubes and I come to the conclusion that an Evergreen round rod of .02"/0.5mm (item #218) with a copper wire of 0.3mm should be about right and make the trick. With my first attempt, I glued the copper wire at both edges with cyano and the rod remained flexible when I wanted to give it a curved shape. The only problem to date is that no one has item #218 in stock

Michael,
A great discovery you have made there! Thanks for having shared the info.

Robert
awiskerke
Visit this Community
Netherlands
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2009 - 10:37 PM UTC
Hi Robert,
Some time ago I tried to find some pics of Schnellboote stationed in France using the entry "vedettes rapides" but the only useful French link I found was this one (I posted these pics earlier but now I've also managed to retrieve the link):
http://deuxiemeguerremondia.forumactif.com/les-navires-f40/album-photo-d-un-marin-de-la-kriegsmarine-t6954.htm
Would you know any other useful French photo links? (you strike me as a person who is pretty good at computers). By the way the S-Boot with the camo nets happens to have a mast and two compasses.

Arjan
brian638
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 318 posts
Model Shipwrights: 8 posts
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2009 - 11:43 PM UTC
Hello Arjan,

Your boat is coming along very well, I do have a question regarding the S100 boats for anyone who can answer it. The Italeri keel has a number of moulded plates (where the screws go) along the length of the keel, are these present on the 1/1 boat?
For those of you wanting a full set of barrels for the Flak 38 / 3.7cm M42 Schatton produces a single set (Part No: 3544).
On a thought about the crew can anyone direct me to a good resource for uniforms worn by the S Boote crews? I have the Squadron Signal and the Histoire & Collections titles, I realise that the crews often wore a miss match of styles, but when at port what did they wear?

Thank you in advance

Brian
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 875 posts
Model Shipwrights: 872 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 01:53 AM UTC
Nice scheme on that model in the link, however no S-100 carried a camouflage scheme like that.

The S-38s and the S-38bs but not the S-100s.

Garth
awiskerke
Visit this Community
Netherlands
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 01:55 AM UTC
Hi Garth/Brian,
That's why I put "interesting" in inverted commas. The matter of the keel-braces has been raised before but I don't know the answer. So far I haven't seen any photographic evidence of their existence, on the other hand I feel they look quite convincing, especially the rearmost ones. There are two fairly good colour pics of a salvaged S-Boot in Wiper's book and I think one should be able to distinguish the first bow-brace if there were one, but I don't see it... Perhaps your namesake Brian Balkwill has the answer to this question. As far as uniforms go, I think the Frenchman's book (which you've got) is probably the best reference source. It shows that an enormous variety of coats was worn (probably also civilian style ones) as well as jerseys and wool jumpers. The off white work clothes were also frequently worn (worn by engineers(Pioniere) and other Wehrmacht branches as well). I've got "The German sailor in WOII" by Arms and Armour Press but I don't think it's a particularly useful booklet.

Cheers,

Arjan

Robert75013
Visit this Community
Paris, France
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 06:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Robert,
Some time ago I tried to find some pics of Schnellboote stationed in France using the entry "vedettes rapides" but the only useful French link I found was this one:
http://deuxiemeguerremondia.forumactif.com/les-navires-f40/album-photo-d-un-marin-de-la-kriegsmarine-t6954.htm
Would you know any other useful French photo links? (you strike me as a person who is pretty good at computers).

Arjan

Hi Arjan,
As it was a rainy day, I spent most of the afternoon looking for your info. I used the entry "vedette lance-torpilles" which is slightly different to a "rapide" and only got that link so far:
http://atlantikwall.superforum.fr/les-bases-de-u-boot-et-de-s-boot-f35/s-bunker-le-havre-t5339.htm

I was intrigued by the painted letters 'HS' on the kalotte and brave Inspector Clouzot came to believe the boat could well be Horst Schuur's, belonging to the 8th Schnellbootflotille
http://www.wlb-stuttgart.de/seekrieg/km/sboot/sfl8.htm
but then it doesn't make the "wappen/insignia" to match...

Ober Leutnant Schurr was first assigned 8th Schnellboot Flotilla, Ijmuided, Netherlands, 30 June, 1944 and commanded S-193, sunk 22 Feb., 1945.
Then commanded an incomplete S-307 in April, surrendered to the British on Apr. 30, 1945
http://p-38.info/ALPS/pdf/8877289.pdf
Another record put down the sinking of HMT Cap d'Antifer on 13 Feb., 1944 to Schurr, commanding this time a S-65.
http://www.capdantifer.org.uk/

And here are, I know, it isn't much
the only two links I was able to gather on Schnellboote stationed in France:
http://grieme.org/R180.htm
http://www.sous-mama.org/base_sous-marine_de_dunkerque_de_1941_a_1958_article121.html

Cheers,
Robert
awiskerke
Visit this Community
Netherlands
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 07:21 AM UTC
Thanks for your efforts Robert. S-Boot pics are very difficult to find, not to mention S-100 ones. You would expect that there should be lots of pics around in Holland, Belgium and France but they prove to be very elusive for some reason.

Arjan
brian638
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 318 posts
Model Shipwrights: 8 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 10:27 AM UTC
Hi Arjan,

Thank you for your reply, unfortunatley I will not get any help from Brian B as he has an issue with who I am building for. I am not going in to the details as this is not the place to discuss this.

I agree that these 'plates' seem to be absent on all photographs but where did Italeri get these details. I am hoping to scratchbuild a dry dock/slipway cradle for my boat as these things were custom made I think that I have a little latitude in the design. I will be looking through my Dragon and Masterbox figures for suitable crew figures.

Regards

Brian
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 11:41 PM UTC
Hi Guys,

Haven't been following this one, more's the pity! Amazing works folks, just outstanding. Keep up the great work. Thanks for sharing.

Al
mcdurd
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 03:04 AM UTC
Hello all -

After a week full of family obligations I was able to get in some quality time in the 'man cave' last night. Both rear gun positions are complete and I have been able to get some significant work done on the bow gun (thanks Arjan!).

I did notice there there was no sight included for the twin gun mount - was a simple ring sight used instead? Any help would be appreciated.

I hope to have some pictures up this evening.

Chris
Gotrek58
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 03:32 AM UTC
Hi Chris,
here some pics, perhaps they'll help you:

20-mm-twin-AA-gun type M44

...and a model in 1:20 by Roman Schleip:

I found all on: www.ship-model-today; where there are the scale drawing to buy, also from from the 37mm-AA-gun (10€ each)

Michael
awiskerke
Visit this Community
Netherlands
Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 03:39 AM UTC
Hi Chris,
Here's a useful link on the twin 20 mm guns, it was already provided on page 3 but after all this thread has expanded a bit since then .
http://www.ship-model-today.de/sd132.htm
I must say I have made very little progress in the last few weeks and I'm getting a bit fed up with this whole project (I even started on some armour models last week). The next steps of the bowgun exercise are a bit of a pain (I don't quite know how to interpret the available pics ). Perhaps I'm going to put the round cover on top of the tub for the time being.... I hope to get my 016 Archer rivets this week so I can finish the hull.

Arjan

Michael just beat me to it.
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 875 posts
Model Shipwrights: 872 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 03:48 AM UTC
Arjan,

Hi. Would you possibly do me a favor?

Would it be possible for you to email me photos of those decal sheets in 1:72 for the Schnellboote from the German company? Please?

I went to that site and I could not find them. Well, for one thing - I don't read German, that's why I needed to partner with Mr. Krakow on the book.

Garth
Gotrek58
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 03:59 AM UTC
here they are:

costs: 9,52€ and 7,14€

Michael
awiskerke
Visit this Community
Netherlands
Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 04:26 AM UTC
Hi Garth/Michael,
I have also visited their site several times but I couln't find them either. Michael can you explain what category they are in (I could find them in 1/40 scale ship decals but not in 1/35). Or does this have to do with the technical problems they mention?
http://www.peddinghaus-decals.de/
Cheers,

Arjan