Ships by Class/Type: Military Small Craft
For topics on PT boats, landing craft, Vietnam riverine, etc.
Italeri 1/35 scale S-100 Schnellboot
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Monday, April 06, 2009 - 04:05 AM UTC
Latest screenies Gents:
http://cs.finescale.com/forums/1120447/ShowPost.aspx " TARGET="_blank"> http://cs.finescale.com/forums/1120447/ShowPost.aspx
cheers,
Julian
awiskerke
Visit this Community
Netherlands
KitMaker: 336 posts
Model Shipwrights: 333 posts
Posted: Monday, April 06, 2009 - 05:36 AM UTC
Hi Julian,
Once more a splendid paint-job! I like the dodgers a lot as well, are these the Cammett ones or did you make them yourself? I also seem to notice that you added some homemade detail on the aftdeck (smokebuoys?) but I can"t quite make it out . I would advise you to get rid of the ropes on the tub-cover , though, because it was secured by clamps not ropes (another Italeri invention). Unfortunately you also seem to have followed the Italeri instructions on the position of the hinges on the armour covers of the Kalotte (the hinges should be on the outside of the port and starboard covers, not the inside...). I hope you don't mind my comment, I just can't help noticing trivial details like that (and mentioning them...)

Arjan
Gremlin56
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 - 01:48 AM UTC
Hi Arjan,
No not Cammett, they look like armour plating
This is metal foil from the sockel shop.
Cheers,
Julian
mcdurd
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 121 posts
Model Shipwrights: 105 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 - 08:58 AM UTC
Julian -

Lovely paint work - I appreciate the subtle weathering as well.

Chris
Gremlin56
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 - 06:24 PM UTC
Thanks Chris, I am well aware that it is not an accurate copy of the HaJu but I am really enjoying this build. I will be scratching the radar detector (loved the work you put into that).
I have bought a WW II officer in foul weather gear to go on the bridge (Alpine miniatures) and have also ordered the Azimut crew (should be arriving this week). Now if I can get them to look even vaguely human I will be very happy. The metal foil works really well and gives a more wrinkled effect than the etched metal set from Cammett's. Wish either Cammett's or Schatton would hurry up with the mines.
Cheers,
Julian
mcdurd
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2009 - 05:31 AM UTC
Hello all -

After a bout of kitchen floor repair (complete with a smashed hand - self inflicted via hammer) I am now in the process of doing my final painting prep. I made a temporary spray booth and paint stand out of foam core and I am doing my final finish sanding. Before I paint the hull I wanted to know what color should the screw shafts be painted?

Thanks

Chris
Gremlin56
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2009 - 05:58 AM UTC
If I remember correctly someone pointed out that the shafts are the same colour as the underwater hull Chris. Way back in this thread somewhere I think. I had to repaint mine after reading that.
Julian
awiskerke
Visit this Community
Netherlands
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2009 - 10:16 AM UTC
Hi Chris/Julian,
I must confess that I'm not sure about the colour of the propshafts. It's difficult to interpret the greyish colour in the Wiper colour pic (the underwatership also has a greyish colour for the most part ). Almost as difficult as judging the colour of the shaft visible in Brian's colour pic of the underwatership. I have been working on some rivets again, to me this is more challenging than the colour of the shafts Unfortunately almost all Italeri hull rivets are in the wrong place. There also appears to be a weldseam above the horizontal rivet row, arrow top left. The rivet square on the Italeri model should be much further forward, arrow bottom left. The most serious problem, however, is the seam and rivet row between the foredeck and the hull. The rivets should be above the seam( not underneath as on the Italeri model) and the seam itself should be positioned much higher.

Thomas solved this problem really well ,page 8:

Cheers,

Arjan
Gremlin56
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 - 03:39 AM UTC
Nice rivets Arjan Nice work on the join of the two pieces. Should look fantastic when its all painted. If I remember correctly you ordered the Azimut S-boat crew from their website. Just out of curiosity: how long did it take for the parcel to reach you? I ordered my set nearly two weeks ago and still haven't recieved the parcel yet. Would think coming fron France that it should have been here by now (unless it is being carried by a lame carrier pigeon or a long distance duck )
cheers,
Julian
Gotrek58
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 673 posts
Model Shipwrights: 386 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 - 06:08 AM UTC
Hi Julian,
I've ordered my Azimut-s-boat-crew via internet and paypal on a friday and received the parcel/envelope the following tuesday. I think that was a very quick delivery from France to Germany
Hope, you will get your sailors the next days and the men are not deserted!

Michael
Gremlin56
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 - 06:15 AM UTC
That would be just my luck Michael: have the whole crew go AWOL.
I'll give it a few more days before I start nagging via mail. Thanks for the info though.
cheers,
Julian
awiskerke
Visit this Community
Netherlands
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 - 07:07 AM UTC
Hi Julian,
I ordered my Azimut figures on a friday and received them on monday, so I received them within three days. Perhaps it's wise to send them a mail. By the way the pic I posted is of Thomas's boat, sorry I should have made this more obvious.

Cheers,

Arjan
Gremlin56
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 - 07:36 AM UTC
Thanks Arjen,
I'll give them a few more days before I start nagging. Yes, thought that was your model.
Thomas is doing an excellent job as well.
Cheers,
Julian

P.S. I ordered and have recieved two MG 34 barrels, two antennes and the 20 mm Oerlikon barrel from JB models in Austria: order recieved within a week and really exquisite work on the mg barrels.
The Oerlikon barrel is a great improvement on the plastic Italeri one. I'll try and get some photos up this weekend.
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 - 01:46 PM UTC
Very impressive work.
brian638
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 318 posts
Model Shipwrights: 8 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 - 06:27 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

I am very impressed with all the builds here, I do have a question regarding a few of the kit parts. Does anyone know what parts 52D were used for and is the photo etch part 3 supposed to be a porthole?

Regards

Brian
gordinir8
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 16 posts
Model Shipwrights: 12 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 - 06:36 AM UTC
Arjan, you almost take the glory out of my hands!!
You said about a weld joint, well this is aluminium and im not sure about how easy was to weld it.
Those guys seems like used some aircraft technic in the construction of the boat and im also referring to the aluminium spars on the hull of the boat also, so in my opinion all metal sheet was held with rivets. On the other hand they where Germans so everything is possible here.
Keep up the good work, this is absolutely a reference forum about the s-100 construction.

Thomas
awiskerke
Visit this Community
Netherlands
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 - 08:26 AM UTC
Hi Brian/Thomas,
Parts 52 D are fuel filling hoses, I only know of one close-up of one being used during fuelling and this is in "Korvettenkapitän Werner Töniges". This is probably the only useful pic in the whole book. The hoses should be ribbed, though, and the Italeri nozzles are also an oversimplification. I have no idea what the pe parts 3 are, but I don't think they are portholes. Thomas I hope you don't mind my having posted a pic of your model, I used it to illustrate what the rivet line should look like. I do think there is a weldseam above the horizontal rivets. It's not a row of rivets and on close examination they look like weldbeads. Even in this bad pic the seam is visible, this is not the row of rivets because this was situated lower:

Arjan
gordinir8
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 16 posts
Model Shipwrights: 12 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 - 09:06 AM UTC
I don’t mind at all Arjan you can use my pictures as you like. Unfortunately no progress on my s-100 yet. The new member in our family needs all of our attention but i also waiting you guys to do all the hard work and then use some photo etch parts (when available) to build mine.. Ha Ha
awiskerke
Visit this Community
Netherlands
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 - 09:23 AM UTC
Perhaps you have some ideas on what object can be seen in these pics. At first I thought it could be a bilge pump but later I felt it might be an anchor?

Anybody?

Arjan
Gotrek58
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 673 posts
Model Shipwrights: 386 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 - 10:24 AM UTC
Hi Arjan,
thats the boats anchor!
Just under the shackle (and near the sailors elbow) at the anchors top we can see the upper part of a curved metal "stick"; compare this with Italeris construction manual: page 31, part 41E (anchor) and 2E (the "stick").
Sorry, in this short time I could find only one pic of this special sort of "Stockanker" in www:

Maybe the stick (Stock) of the anchor is moveable in its hole and on your pic (and in the construction man.) the stick is in the stowed position - space-saving?
Good night!
Michael
awiskerke
Visit this Community
Netherlands
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 - 11:02 AM UTC
Hi Michael,
You must be right. There is no anchor to be seen on the foredeck in the pic on page 25 (Squadron) so this must have been the only anchor. A very unusual and not very practical place to stow an anchor . It seems to indicate that the anchor was probably not used much .

Cheers,

Arjan
martyncrowther
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,548 posts
Model Shipwrights: 10 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 - 11:17 AM UTC
Great work Mate, I would love to see this one wrecked or sunk. Would be very interesting.
mcdurd
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 - 04:34 PM UTC
Hello Arjan -

Nicely done rivets on the hull, you are a braver man than I ! I am wondering how you intend to replicate those strange red arrows that appear on the pictures of Lang that you posted? Will you use sprue or fine wire?

I have primed the lower hull - so I am starting my favorite part of the project!! I won't get much done this weekend though, I will be going to the AMPS show in Maryland.

Cheers!

Chris
dsotm
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 357 posts
Model Shipwrights: 31 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 - 10:21 PM UTC
Hi Guys

Was taking lots of pics and measurements of the salvaged kalotte yesterday. There are two boxes inside for which we do not know the purpose. There is one on each side and they are hard up against the forward (missing) aluminium wall separating the wheelhouse. There is evidence of hinges on the wall at the top of each box. They look like paper towel dispensers (obviously this is not their function). Our best guess to date is that they held collapsible platforms allowing crew to look over the top of the armoured screens. Any ideas?

awiskerke
Visit this Community
Netherlands
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 - 11:34 PM UTC
Thanks for the great pics Brian. I especially like the shot of the chartroom door because it provides some answers. I'm surprised you don't know the function of the boxes, these have been mentioned quite a few times in this thread There are two of them on the foreward bulkhead as well (next to the torpedo tubes ,Squadron page 41). They are racks for the MG 34 ammo boxes or rather the double ammo drums as Michael suggested.

Regards,

Arjan