Ships by Class/Type: Military Small Craft
For topics on PT boats, landing craft, Vietnam riverine, etc.
Italeri 1/35 scale S-100 Schnellboot
Gotrek58
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 673 posts
Model Shipwrights: 386 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 06:29 AM UTC
Hi Arjan,
...how to find the 1:35 decals:

1/35 Decals Militärfahrzeuge / 2nd page / scroll to 4th and 5th row for the s-boat-decals and go to the 3rd page / 21st row is for the KM uniform ensigns.

1/72 Decals Militärfahrzeuge / 1st Page / scroll to 21st row

Michael
awiskerke
Visit this Community
Netherlands
KitMaker: 336 posts
Model Shipwrights: 333 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 06:53 AM UTC
Thanks Michael,
That makes sense ....

Cheers,

Arjan
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 875 posts
Model Shipwrights: 872 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 11:52 AM UTC
Yes Michael,

Thank you.

Garth
dsotm
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 357 posts
Model Shipwrights: 31 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 12:21 PM UTC
Keel Braces

Brian/Arjan
Just saw this question earlier in the thread and went to my pics of the day we moved S130. There are no such plates on the exterior of the keel as far as I can see, I suspect they need to be filled and sanded once the screws are in
Hope this helps
Brian

TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 875 posts
Model Shipwrights: 872 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 01:00 PM UTC
Are these decals available in the US?

How can I obtain copes of them to review ...

IF anyone knows - please email me at my [email protected] address, thank you.

Garth

Quoted Text

here they are:

costs: 9,52€ and 7,14€

Michael

mcdurd
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 121 posts
Model Shipwrights: 105 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 02:50 PM UTC
Hello All -

Michael - thank you for the photos, they were exactly what I needed. I managed to get all of the weapons and weapons stations completed and tacked into place (I'll pull them apart to paint).

The bow station and gun mount are very difficult to assemble and modify - I attempted to capture the 'spirit' of the mount and I think it looks appropriately busy. I used Griffon and Lionroar barrells, even their simple addition improves the look of everything 100%! A frustrating omission is the ring and bead sight for the 20mm guns - with such a large brass sheet I can't imagine why it wasn't included.

Center mount:

Aft mount (actually pretty nice without much modification):

Note the sliver that I added to square the bottom of the gunshield:

Bow mount:

At this point I am waiting on some weapons sets to finish off the bridge machine guns and ammo.

Arjan - If I didn't have a deadline (I am doing a build article for the IPMSUSA journal) I would have put it aside as well! Now that I have finished the assembly I am looking forward to painting, which is my favorite part!

Chris
awiskerke
Visit this Community
Netherlands
Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 10:32 PM UTC
Hi Chris,
Absolutely brilliant work Chris. I also admire your drive and stamina. Why don't you use a ring sight from Tamiya's Panther G pe-set (or a similar set), if you give me your address I'll send you one. Thanks a lot for the info Brian, one more reason for not being terribly pleased with these Italeri idiots who designed the kit Although slightly off-topic, yesterday I happened to find some interesting pics of a shore-based Kriegsmarine torpedo battery in Flushing (Zeeland, the Netherlands). This is my home province and I was checking out the town's picture archive (two weeks ago I happened to come across a pic of an LWS made in Flushing ). The pictures show KM personnel in various outfits, the off-white worktrousers are also worn:

Cheers,

Arjan
mcdurd
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2009 - 12:39 AM UTC
Hello Arjan -

Great idea on the panther set - I have been looking for something to use! I will order a couple from squadron today.

Those picture were very interesting - I assume that is a test rig given the markings on the torpedo? With all of the rails that would be a good project for a model railroader...

Chris
awiskerke
Visit this Community
Netherlands
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2009 - 01:25 AM UTC
Hi Chris,
No it's not a test rig, this battery was part of the defence system to counter an invasion force from the sea. I also doubt if it would have been terribly effective but then there were various gun emplacements as well.

Arjan
mcdurd
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2009 - 03:10 AM UTC
Hello Arjan -

Wow - I can't imagine that it would be very effective at all. I found the Tamiya Tiger photo etch detail set actually has 2 sights included, so I am ordering that set - great idea!

Chris
brian638
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 318 posts
Model Shipwrights: 8 posts
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2009 - 10:21 AM UTC
Thanks Brian,

The picture clearly shows the keel, I wonder if Italeri used an Italioan boat as a pattern for the S Boat kit? I know that Italeri have invented details before on other kits, so it comes as no surprise that these details have been added. Do you know of there are flush bolts along the keel?.

Chris, your gun mountings are wonderful, have you used the Archer surface details around the front mounting?

Best regards

Brian
dsotm
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 357 posts
Model Shipwrights: 31 posts
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2009 - 11:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Brian,

The picture clearly shows the keel, I wonder if Italeri used an Italioan boat as a pattern for the S Boat kit? I know that Italeri have invented details before on other kits, so it comes as no surprise that these details have been added. Do you know of there are flush bolts along the keel?.

Brian

Hi Brian - I have both Italian and German drawings and neither show bolts through the keel. As far as I can tell it would make no sense as they would rust. The keel is a single length piece of solid oak which I think is fastened from the inside. Hope this helps

Brian
Robert75013
Visit this Community
Paris, France
KitMaker: 242 posts
Model Shipwrights: 240 posts
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2009 - 08:37 PM UTC
Very good job Chris on your boat.
Could you give us the reference for the photo etch set? I only get the grilles when googling...

Thank you, Robert
awiskerke
Visit this Community
Netherlands
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2009 - 09:15 PM UTC
Hi Robert,
It's this grille set:
http://www.modellbau-universe.de/produkt;fotoaetzteile-fuer-tiger-i-grill;TA~35179;6;1;1;0.htm?ref=affilinet

Cheers,

Arjan
mcdurd
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 12:11 AM UTC
Hello Brian -

Yes, those are Archer rivets on the gun mount. I have used them throughout the project, very easy to use!

Chris
brian638
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 318 posts
Model Shipwrights: 8 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 01, 2009 - 10:25 AM UTC
Hi Chris, Brian and Arjan,

Thank you for your replies, I am watching this thread with interest. All very informative and plenty of links to hard to find images.

Regards

Brian
mcdurd
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2009 - 01:29 AM UTC
hello all -

For those looking for a source for the dual MG ammo drums I have found 2 options:

1. find a friend who will let you pirate the ammo drums out of the new RoG 1/32 Ju-88 or buy one yourself.
2. purchase a couple of the venerable Tamiya German infantry weapons set (TM35111) and make your own - for retail of about $5 a piece this is a cheap option..

No pictures yet, but I modified what came in the weapons set and ended up with 2 drum sets for each side using the pictures that Michael posted as a guide. Given that they will be partially covered anyway in the cabinet they look pretty good.

I'll post some pictures after I finish modifying the machine guns as well. After I am done with that all that remains are the bridge windscreen and assembly is done

Chris
Robert75013
Visit this Community
Paris, France
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2009 - 04:40 AM UTC
Oops, thanks Arjan for the link. I seem to have missed the 2 sights... must have been out of focus!

I know for being far, but far behind of you gents, but I finally applied my brass wire system! I added the small case below in the center with its two electric switches and a Lo 1 UK 35 ship-to-ship R/T unit in the wheelhouse and wanted to share the result with you.

Best, Robert
mcdurd
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2009 - 04:51 AM UTC
Very nice Robert, I like the radio! Are you going to light up the wheelhouse so people can see it?

Chris
awiskerke
Visit this Community
Netherlands
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2009 - 07:05 AM UTC
Splendid work Robert. Chris does have a point though, I also noticed that one can''t see an awful lot through the Kalotte windows (not even when you open up the door and the communication ports). I have also been thinking of mounting a light in the wheelhouse to make the interior visible. This is a bit contradictory if you consider that in reality everything was done to avoid even the slightest reflection of light , but then there isn't much alternative if you want to show off the interior.

Arjan
Robert75013
Visit this Community
Paris, France
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2009 - 08:52 AM UTC
Hi Chris and Arjan,

Thanks, I have to say that you are also a great source of inspiration to me!

Chris, no, I am not thinking to have electricity put in the wheelhouse, I just wanted to "stick" a bit to what was once reality!

On the other hand, Arjan, if you still wish to light it up, have you thought of putting on the red light that was activated when entering "hot" zones? Could be a fine alternative.
Also, in a previous post, you expressed the wish of adding a clock. 'Plus Model' makes lots of 1:35 items, including a street clock. If you're interested in giving it a look, here's the link:
http://www.plusmodel.cz/karta_en.php?id=346

Too bad Cammett's is working on pieces such like mines and railings first which come at the end of the assembly… I'd have rather preferred him to deliver parts likely to do our boats move forward in our builds. One cannot have it all, I guess!

We are leaving for two weeks to Rome and spend Easter there, so please, I beg you:
Do NOT go too fast with your assemblings!!

Cheers,
Robert
awiskerke
Visit this Community
Netherlands
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2009 - 09:53 AM UTC
Hi Robert,
I think I will make my own clock, the Plus Model one is a bit too expensive to be hidden away Tell me did you cast part of the radio yourself? I also wonder how you made the mouth and ear pieces of the speechtubes. Chris has a deadline to meet but I'm building at a snail's pace, besides I have a 1/1 scale building project to finish and the weather is too good to "waste" my time modelling.

Cheers,

Arjan
Gotrek58
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 673 posts
Model Shipwrights: 386 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2009 - 10:23 AM UTC
Hi guys,
a little help to build a proper "Borduhr" used on all KM vessels:

Diameter ca. 15 cm; 4-5mm in 1:35

... and red light - great idea; maybe you can use fibre optics, also to illuminate the instruments!?
I have to consider.....

Michael
mcdurd
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2009 - 03:13 PM UTC
Hello all -

As promised - here are pictures of the bridge guns and ammo drums in place. I would not venture to say that the drums are totally accurate - but it is close enough for me!

I am off for a fun filled weekend of kitchen remodeling for my parents - my knees ache already

Chris
Robert75013
Visit this Community
Paris, France
Posted: Friday, April 03, 2009 - 02:34 AM UTC
Hi Arjan,
You're absolutely right. The radio set comes from Dragon's "German Signal Troops" box #6053 and was partially modified to get something more resembling.

The recipe for a good flexible voice tube is:
- one 0.5mm plastic rod from Evergreen,
- one 0.3mm copper wire rolled up all around it,
- two brooches for both ends. Those are called here "tulips" (maybe are they called the same in The Netherlands? - not to be mistaken with your worldwide well-known local and beautiful flowers production, anyway!) which can be found at any electronic components' retailers. They'll need to be worked out a bit, e.g. cut the male part and have the the inside drilled to get the right diameter.
And that's it. Hope it helps you, Arjan.

Michael, as the conjuror, you always pull out the right item from your hat, I noticed! I am glad to have come on board - it's good to have someone like you.

Chris, beautiful job. Makes me green of envy!

Best,
Robert