Ships by Class/Type: Military Small Craft
For topics on PT boats, landing craft, Vietnam riverine, etc.
Italeri 1/35 scale S-100 Schnellboot
awiskerke
Visit this Community
Netherlands
KitMaker: 336 posts
Model Shipwrights: 333 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2009 - 08:28 AM UTC
Chris one more remark about the vents. I wouldn't worry too much about the shade of light grey. To me it looks closer to Schnellbootweiss than any other colour, of course the shade differs from one pic to the other. On page 45 (bottom left) there's just a fine line to be seen of the smaller vent. It looks as if the top of this one was dark(er) grey as well but maybe I'm imagining things or plainly hallucinating

Arjan
Gotrek58
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 673 posts
Model Shipwrights: 386 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2009 - 08:40 AM UTC
Hi Robert,
for the sights, buy Tamiya PE-parts for Tiger I (35179) or kingtiger (35167). That are the grille parts + 2 gunsights:

costs: about 6 €; e.g. Amazon or other model-dealers.

Michael
mcdurd
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 121 posts
Model Shipwrights: 105 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2009 - 12:19 PM UTC
Well - I am on my 3rd try after tearing the archer rivets off of the bridge twice

Totally my fault, but frustrating all the same. I hope that the rivet detail will remain on the bridge after priming and sanding. The rivets that I added to the bow look really good.

Arjan - I think that I will go with the white on the vent covers and grey on all of the railings. This actually simplifies painting quite a bit since I won't be masking off as much.

I think I need to set it aside for the evening before it becomes an airborne S-boot.....

Chris
awiskerke
Visit this Community
Netherlands
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2009 - 12:33 AM UTC
Hi Chris,
I know what you feel, I had some very similar experiences. The downside of the Archer rivets is that if the painting goes wrong you will probably have to start applying them all over again. Here are some pics of my pilothouse before I will put the crew in and the Kalotte on. As can be seen I mounted a light in the compass of the wheelhouse to illuminate the interior.

Cheers,

Arjan
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2009 - 01:19 AM UTC
Nice work Arjan, will be a shame to cover all that work up.
Julian
awiskerke
Visit this Community
Netherlands
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2009 - 01:33 AM UTC
Hi Julian,
Thanks, that's why I put a light in. Don't know if it will provide sufficient illumination though, but then I've got some pics to prove what is inside Painting the slats on top of the pilothouse is very difficult as you will know, I touched them up quite a few times already but I can still see bits of white and natural wood that shouldn't be there. In that respect taking pics is really helpful.

Arjan
mcdurd
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2009 - 05:31 AM UTC
Hello Arjan -

Very nicely done! Perhaps a small camera in the wheelhouse to capture the detail?

Chris
Robert75013
Visit this Community
Paris, France
KitMaker: 242 posts
Model Shipwrights: 240 posts
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2009 - 05:40 AM UTC
Absolutely brilliant, Arjan. A very fine job you've demonstrated us!

Do I need to add that I love your little radio transmitter too?

Well done! Cheers,
Robert
awiskerke
Visit this Community
Netherlands
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2009 - 07:05 AM UTC
Thanks gents, I realize most of my efforts are rather misguided . For those who are mad enough to add a Borduhr (clock) as well my tip is not to reduce a computer-image. I ordered a free Catalogue which contains lots of clock-faces and reduced one of these. Reduced computer-images are too vague in this scale. The most difficult part is cutting out the clock-face, I ruined four before I was more or less satisfied.

Arjan
mcdurd
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2009 - 08:45 AM UTC
Arjan -

The question is: will you be adjusting your display room's lighting to match the displayed time on the clock?

Chris
Robert75013
Visit this Community
Paris, France
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2009 - 10:26 AM UTC
Hi Arjan,

Can I ask you how you managed to reproduce so well the two switch boxes located on both sides of the bottom part of the targeting computer? It's a true watchmaker's work, bravo!

Robert
awiskerke
Visit this Community
Netherlands
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2009 - 10:13 PM UTC
Hi Robert,
These switch boxes consist of 9 parts (including the bit of pipe). I used bits from Dragon headsets, the square with the lips at the corners is the most difficult part (take a square and file slots).

One final shot before the crew and interior disappear :

Cheers,

Arjan
Gremlin56
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 07:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Arjan -

The question is: will you be adjusting your display room's lighting to match the displayed time on the clock?

Chris

More to the point : how is Arjan going to change the battery in the clock?
Julian
Robert75013
Visit this Community
Paris, France
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 08:09 AM UTC
Hi Chris and Arjan,

As your targeting computers are now completed, looking at your piccies, I noticed that both of you made that little extension that I've circled out. Boys, now you make me doubt as a young pupil! From the only two clear shots that I possess, this left extension seems -- I say, "seem" -- to be missing. Have you anything on your side that could rid of this doubt of mine?

Again, jolly nice work to both of you. Hats off!

Robert
mcdurd
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 08:39 AM UTC
Hahahahaha -

Well played Julian!

Chris
mcdurd
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 08:42 AM UTC
Robert -

Here you go:

I have no idea what it is though!

The source website has some other good pictures:

http://www.rodericktimms.royalnavy.co.uk/e_boats_surrender_at_felixstowe.html

Chris
awiskerke
Visit this Community
Netherlands
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 08:49 AM UTC
Evening gents,
Fortunately the clock has a spring and I'm sure the crew are capable of winding it . By the way has the Lion Roar etch set for the S-100 boat already materialized? Not that I intend to buy it but I'm curious what it'll offer. Shame on you Robert you seem to have missed the best reference pic .

Arjan

Postscript: I've just discovered that Michael was correct about the Mg 15 being used on S-Boote. On 18/19 September 1944 S-185, 186, 198 and 199 took a load of ammo to the besieged town of Dunkerk. I read in a Dutch book that they also left their 12 Mg 15 plus ammo behind to be used in the defence of the town.
Robert75013
Visit this Community
Paris, France
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 09:03 PM UTC
For some reasons, I focused too much on these two pictures and forgot to check the Felixtowe website!

Aaarrggh! Almost two weeks working on the binoculars (well, of which one week looking for fragments fallen on the carpet ) and now, this extension that needs to be added. Will I ever see the end of it?!!!
awiskerke
Visit this Community
Netherlands
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 09:45 PM UTC
I have by now decided I would like to make S-199 the subject of my model. It's one of the 4 boats that delivered ammo to Dunkerk in September. The problem is that up till August it belonged to the 8th S-Flottille but in September it was apparently assigned to the 10th S-Flottille. Would the latter have had its own insignia and would anyone know what it looked like? I haven't been able to find any info on when the 10th SF was raised and what its Flotilla-insignia might have looked like. There is a pic of this vessel in the Frenchman's book on page 157 when it still belonged to the 8th SF. Could you please post this pic for me Julian so I can enlarge it?

Cheers,

Arjan
Robert75013
Visit this Community
Paris, France
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2009 - 01:39 AM UTC
I know, I know... You've permission to call me stubborn Robert, now!

On second thought, I think, after having compared again the pic from the Felixtowe site with my other two pictures, that in fact this extension
may have well been able to rotate itself horizontally and that here, it's in its folded up position. What do you think, gents?

Michael, any suggestions?

Robert
Gremlin56
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2009 - 05:55 AM UTC

I think you mean this one Arjan?
Julian
awiskerke
Visit this Community
Netherlands
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2009 - 07:58 AM UTC
I appreciate your effort Julian,
But unfortunately it isn't the one I mean. The one I mean is at the top of the preceding page (page 157). It has the jumping (running?) stag insignia and a "W" on the Kalotte.

Groet,

Arjan
Gremlin56
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2009 - 08:21 AM UTC

Aha ! That one, okido.
Julian

Would appear to be no need to enlarge the 37mm gunshield on this vessel or do I need stronger goggles?
Gotrek58
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 673 posts
Model Shipwrights: 386 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2009 - 08:59 AM UTC
Hello Arjan,
here's a nice link to S-boat operations in the channel area - I believe, you can understand this diary - it's in german
http://www.foerderverein-museums-schnellboot.de/sboote-km-kanal44.htm
S199 belongs to the 8. S.Fl. Commander of S-199 was ObLt. Horst Schuur. While the raid on Dünkirchen S199 was a part of 10. S.Fl.
As you can read in the german diary both S.Fls often operated together and maybe they changed single boats to hold operational status of each flotilla.
The boat on the pic on page 157 in the french mans book has a nice badge (W alter, therefore a normal first name, but look at the form the "W" was painted. That's an ass! In german it means "alter Arsch" or "old ass" ) But this isn't S199 of Horst Schuur!!
It's S195 / "W" commanded by Walter Knapp; S199 was signed "H" on the calotte and "HS" on the stern - look here:
http://www.wlb-stuttgart.de/seekrieg/km/sboot/sfl8.htm
By the way. "W" / S195 titled S199 in the french book (look also the pic in the Squadron book, p. 21) is definitely an S38b-class (short cutaway for the position lights)!
But that makes no sense: S195 must be an S-100 type - maybe there were 2 Walters, first a S38b and later a S-100! So Mr. Peddinghaus told me , as I phoned him for the decals. but a little

You want to build S199 and thats "H" + "HS"; the decals you need are on the Peddinghaus sheets EP1720+EP1721. I've seen this decals at the Intermodellbau 2009 - nice print.
Now to the 10. S.Fl. - look here: http://www.wlb-stuttgart.de/seekrieg/km/sboot/sfl-frames.htm Click "Flottillen" and "10" on the left. There's a Tiger mentioned as their badge!?
Hope, I could help a little!

Michael

edit: Walter Knapps first S-boat was S-99 and that's an S-38b!
awiskerke
Visit this Community
Netherlands
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2009 - 10:09 AM UTC
Julian/Michael thanks a lot for your efforts,
A most interesting explanation Michael. I already had some doubts whether Dallies-Labourdette was correct about the boat being S-199. I understand from your explanation S-199 would in all probability have kept its 8th SF insignia so I don't have to worry about the insignia of the 10th SF. I like the bum-shaped "W" of Walter Knapp's boat . Although the pics are not very clear it would appear that S-195 and S-199 looked rather similar in terms of armament and general arrangement. It seems they had twin machine guns (mg 15's according to the Dutch book) which appear to have an armour shield. It also appears they had a similar way of stowing the rubber dinghy(ies) Julian is right that the 3.7 cm gun had no shield-extensions. Pity I will need two decal sheets .

Arjan