Campaigns
Want to be part of a group build? This is where to start, plan, and meet about them.
Official "Cold War Tin Cans" Thread
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 04:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

How many James/Jims in here?

Just a few. Then if you look at the site overall there are a few more.

Nice little run down of the old girl. I had several ex-crew members off the Adams in my A-School class. They had just taken part in her pre-decomming.

skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 06:53 AM UTC
Nice shot of the lady!
That would be very helpful for making the water base
Keep us posted,
Skipper
grayghost666
KitMaker: 2,458 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,423 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 04:41 PM UTC
hello all,
I have 3 parts to glue on and She is done. YEAH.I should get photo's posted tomorrow.
so,
Next Ship time
Next Ship channel.
cheers,
Bruce
if any of you all remember that TV show.
Removed by original poster on 03/29/08 - 03:21:36 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 03/29/08 - 03:24:55 (GMT).
grayghost666
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2008 - 03:27 PM UTC
hello all,
got my ship done for the Cold War Tin Cans Campaign.this is the Trumpeter 1/350 Kai Feng Destroyer.

i tried to load the photo's myself,then Miss Mary did it for me.
i hope you all like it.
cheers,
Bruce
grayghost666
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2008 - 03:38 PM UTC
hello all,
i am now posting the photo's my self.the photo's are not the best,so when there is a nice day,i will take more photo's out side.

well lets see i did it.
cheers,
Bruce
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2008 - 10:41 PM UTC
Bruce,
Good job, your one up on me getting your ship done.

grayghost666
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 04:30 AM UTC
hello Jim,
t is not hard to get it done,Miss Mary stands behind me with a cattle prod.ZZZAAAAPPP!!!
cheers,
Bruce
grayghost666
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 08:13 AM UTC
hello all,
i got my finished photo's uploaded in the finish gallery.
this kit was a pain to put together.here are some of the things i missed in my review of it.
No Lanndes,no rails,the kit uses the same deck an hull for at least 6 other Trumpeter ships,you grt over 60 extra parts that belong to 6 other kits.i also have a nice 1/350 helipcoptor that belongs to another kit.
here are the finished photo's i posted in the gallery:

cheers,
Bruce
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 01:07 AM UTC
Haven't heard from folks in a while, I hope you are all hard at working on your builds. Mine is going slowly, but I am making progress.

Lets here how your all doing out there!

JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 12:45 PM UTC
Bruce nice build on a touch kit. I read somewhere the Trumpeter Chinese ships have thick details, and I can see that. Again, nice job on a touch kit!

Jim - My ETS (estimated time of start) is still a month or so away, so no progress on any of my builds, including this one!

I may re-read Red Storm Rising to get in the mood
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 01:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Bruce nice build on a touch kit. I read somewhere the Trumpeter Chinese ships have thick details, and I can see that. Again, nice job on a touch kit!

Jim - My ETS (estimated time of start) is still a month or so away, so no progress on any of my builds, including this one!

I may re-read Red Storm Rising to get in the mood

Red Storm Rising, killer book! Then again so is "The Hunt for Red October."

Too bad one of the main ships in Red Storm is a Frigate.

Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,218 posts
Model Shipwrights: 214 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 01:06 PM UTC
It's ongoing.

Still trying to decipher the instructions for the Dragon 1/700 HMS Liverpool.

I think I'll just add in whatever seems suitable then get on with the PE railings.

A very confusing kit for something so small and with so few parts.

Last foray into 1/700.
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Model Shipwrights: 228 posts
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2008 - 02:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Red Storm Rising, killer book!

You can say that again! Great book.

I have lately been inspired by some of the works on MSW. I have not build a ship in 20+ years - the last one being "Duke of York" from Matchbox I think. Being a total novice to ship building, but not modelling, I have considered building a destroyer for this campaign. I would probably start over the Summer.

My choice can be seen below. Doing a Dragon "premium edition" kit I assume everything is in the box and the kit is not that complicated. The destroyer was definitely build during the cold war and it is a destroyer - although a missile destroyer. I guess it still counts?
If there are any suggestions for kits that would fit a beginner and the campaign please let me hear - this one is not ordered yet

Anyway, I am still gathering courage to start on this one. When I start there will probably be a hail of stupid questions from the aircraft/armour modeller

goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2008 - 03:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Red Storm Rising, killer book!

You can say that again! Great book.

I have lately been inspired by some of the works on MSW. I have not build a ship in 20+ years - the last one being "Duke of York" from Matchbox I think. Being a total novice to ship building, but not modelling, I have considered building a destroyer for this campaign. I would probably start over the Summer.

My choice can be seen below. Doing a Dragon "premium edition" kit I assume everything is in the box and the kit is not that complicated. The destroyer was definitely build during the cold war and it is a destroyer - although a missile destroyer. I guess it still counts?
If there are any suggestions for kits that would fit a beginner and the campaign please let me hear - this one is not ordered yet

Anyway, I am still gathering courage to start on this one. When I start there will probably be a hail of stupid questions from the aircraft/armour modeller

There are no stupid questions. We will answer to the best of our ability. The Adams Class is a good fit for the Cold War. They served for almost the entire length of that time frame. They were all being decommed when I joined the Navy, 1990.

So when you start and have questions give us a whout, we will help you through.

JMartine
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2008 - 01:19 PM UTC
Jesper - that one (Charles Adams) counts for sure, I picked it also for my build. Scroll up a page to check out some of the links I posted about the ship. I am a newbie/hobbie re-turnee, will be great to have someone else also building the kit. cheers!

Red Storm Rising is one of those books that now could be made into a great movie with the advances in Computer generated graphics, no need for models/mock-ups....
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2008 - 07:26 PM UTC
Great to hear it. Then I will probably go for this ship. I am almost certain that I will not build it in the Charles F. Adams markings. I think I will go for one of the other US, German, Greek, or Australian versions.

Thanks for the feed back. Now on to the research
4thLAV_Bn
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 119 posts
Model Shipwrights: 41 posts
Posted: Monday, May 12, 2008 - 03:23 PM UTC
Okay, I've taken my finals and I have the summer free to work on my tin can. But I need an official call on my choice of scratchbuild... I want to be a little different, and do the French Suffren (D602) some sources call these ships antiaircraft frigates (because the French don't use the term 'destroyer'), but others use the term destroyer, noting the french convention as they do so.
The armament is certainly destroyer-worthy, and the 2 Suffrens weigh in at 5335 tonnes, and are 158m long. 2 single 100mm turrets, one dual Masurca launcher, torpedoes and 4 Exocets. Suffren served from 1965 thru 2001. I think it's a cold war tin can, but wanted to ask before launching the project.
*Wikipedia's reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FS_Suffren
*Or: http://www.netmarine.net/bat/fregates/suffren/index.htm

Thanks for taking the time to read my post
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 12:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Okay, I've taken my finals and I have the summer free to work on my tin can. But I need an official call on my choice of scratchbuild... I want to be a little different, and do the French Suffren (D602) some sources call these ships antiaircraft frigates (because the French don't use the term 'destroyer'), but others use the term destroyer, noting the french convention as they do so.
The armament is certainly destroyer-worthy, and the 2 Suffrens weigh in at 5335 tonnes, and are 158m long. 2 single 100mm turrets, one dual Masurca launcher, torpedoes and 4 Exocets. Suffren served from 1965 thru 2001. I think it's a cold war tin can, but wanted to ask before launching the project.
*Wikipedia's reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FS_Suffren
*Or: http://www.netmarine.net/bat/fregates/suffren/index.htm

Thanks for taking the time to read my post

I am going to say yes.

She is 20m longer than the long hull OHP class FFG and has a much higher displacement. Plus the French use D in her hull number.

4thLAV_Bn
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 12:45 AM UTC
Thanks man, I wanted to do something different I had noticed the D in the hull number, and the smaller French ships have hull numbers starting with F.

Now to get scratching
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 02:23 AM UTC
I checked out other Destroyers and these fall on the small side, but still fit insize wise. Besides there were several Fletcher class ships sitll on active duty during this tiem frame.

Welcome to the build and looking forward to seeing your progress.

JMartine
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 09:38 AM UTC
Clark, welcome to the build and look forward to your kit!
4thLAV_Bn
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 10:37 AM UTC
Thanks I just got started today by carving the plug for the 100mm turrets. I'll post some pics when it looks pretty.
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2008 - 06:28 AM UTC
I have changed my mind and is going to participate with the HMS Sheffield. Interesting build with all the necessary stuff in the box. Looks like a good beginners kit.

More to follow....