Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
1/250 IJN Musashi Build Log
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 02:26 PM UTC
Dade, your PE and scratch build work is top rate, my friend, this build is looking sweeeeeet, mate...keep up the great modeling and updates (until Modelpalooza, that is )
Cheers.
~Gunny
Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 846 posts
Model Shipwrights: 740 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 07:38 PM UTC
Thanks guys! I spent the evening getting those belts done and getting the degaussing cable started, so we'll see how this stuff works out. Disaster was narrowly avoided when I realized that I hadn't left enough room on the prow for the chrysanthemum to clear the degaussing cable. Thankfully, the glue hadn't fully set, so I was able to reposition everything correctly. Whew!

Frank, no worries. The deck is 1/8 thick and doesn't deform unless a large amount of pressure is applied- pressure that the turrets and superstructure don't come close to producing, so it's all good.
JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 04:18 AM UTC
Simple amazing work, and THANK YOU for taking the time to "photoshop" your pics into a great lesson/tutorial. Cheers!
Kapitanleutnant
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 20 posts
Model Shipwrights: 10 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 07:12 AM UTC
Very impressive. I am always amazed at the work of other modellers. Dade, I tip my hat to you...excellent work there, my friend.
Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 10:52 AM UTC
Although the Musashi couldn't be completed for Modelpalooza, it's still on target for completion to be shown at the Nationals. Since the last update, I have added the side belts and built most of the degaussing cable. Here are a couple pictures of what I have so far dry fit together:

MuDry1 MuDry2 MuDry3 MuDry4

Because the Musashi is too large to fit in any of my display cases, it has to have its own case (and shelf on the wall to hold it). My father constructed a solid base for the Musashi and its stand to sit on and commissioned a beautiful acrylic case to house it. He delivered it last week and I couldn't resist putting the Musashi in to see how it looks. I'm blown away by how gorgeous the case is. And how heavy it is: about 30 pounds. Combined with the Musashi, the whole affair is almost 40 pounds...

As a side note, the small model sitting on top of and beside the case is the JAG 1/700 USCG Bear. When I found that I couldn't finish the Musashi in time for Modelpalooza, I decided to finish up the 90% complete Bear. The size difference is incredible.

MuCase1 MuCase2

I will be submitting a gallery feature on the Bear. Now it's back to work on the Musashi!
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Model Shipwrights: 934 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 11:00 AM UTC
Great work Dade, that model is massive!, and will certainly make a great display.

keep us posted,

Frank
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 12:05 PM UTC
Hi Dade!

I am away for a few days and suddenly, I got this massive update on your Musashi!
Really like the upgrades you have been making, especially the brass barrels, that give a nice detail! Also the blast bags turn out good! I know that it is very difficult to replicate a similar pattern on so many parts... Good job!
Also, btw, I enjoyed the USCG Bear - and looking forward to see it better
Cheers and keep up
Rui
Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 03:39 AM UTC
Thanks guys!

Rui, yes, those blast bags were probably one of the most annoying parts of this build. As you say, repeating that pattern so many times and using so much epoxy putty! I've learned from this build that one large scale battleship is enough and I'm even happier I didn't get the 1/200 Yamato!

From now on, it's all 1/350 and smaller. I have a 1/200 IJN Hatsuzuki, but since that's a destroyer, it's about the same length as a 1/350 battleship- so I don't mind. But no more cruisers or battleships larger than 1/350!
JMartine
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 23, 2008 - 03:55 AM UTC
Your work is just fantastic.... thanks again for posting AND writing such comprehensive blog entries.

Oops, I added the "great display" comment on your Mikasa thread instead of here, my bad!
Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2008 - 02:23 PM UTC
I'm still alive here, guys... I've just been incredibly busy with some other items not the least of which are the instructions for Pavel's latest masterpiece. I finished a commission of a different kind of "ship" too...

Stupid me for mounting it to the mirror base before photos, thereby washing out the shading and curves. Blah. So anyway, the Musashi will be getting back in gear in a couple weeks and I'll be starting a very special project once a certain delivery arrives from HLJ...

See ya soon!
JMartine
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 11:32 AM UTC
Dade, thats a great build! Alien ship?? cheers
Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 12:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Dade, thats a great build! Alien ship?? cheers

Thanks, James. That's a good eye, yep, the Nostromo from Alien.
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 01:57 PM UTC
Awesome ship Dade!

Kenny
javlin
Visit this Community
Mississippi, United States
KitMaker: 106 posts
Model Shipwrights: 92 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 08:04 AM UTC
Any more updates to the Mushasi Dade? beautiful build for sure.I was thinking of getting the ARII but think I will stick to 1/350 or smaller,my skills come no were close enough.Kevin
Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 06:30 PM UTC
Hi Kevin,

Thanks! The Musashi build got put on hold for two reasons:

1.) The official build review log for Fujimi's Kongo
2.) Waiting for the release of the Shinsengumi wood deck

I'm itching to get back to her, so after the two items above are taken care of, be on the look out.
DeathOfBlades
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 22 posts
Model Shipwrights: 19 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 04:25 AM UTC
Hey Dade. I was just curious on if you did the plastic strips for the hull lining cause I'm trying to create that effect along with to cover my yamato's dried red hull dripping bubbles. Yep bubbles on the hull of my yamato. I just plan on sanding the whole thing with the plastic strips but could you give me more info on that?
Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 15, 2009 - 08:56 PM UTC
Whew, been a loooong time! Readers will note that I gave two reasons above for putting this build on hold.

Well, the Kongo review was finished a few months ago... Which leaves the second reason of a deck.

That will now be taken care of in December when Shinsengumi releases their long-awaited 1/250 deck! I've already put my pre-order in. We all know good things come to those who wait, and I can rest easy knowing all of that big beautiful deck space on the Musashi will be brought to life with real wood.

My elbow has been healing decently, despite the fact that there is a 1/8" gap causing a non-union. However, my surgeon isn't too worried, so I won't worry either. At any rate, the deck's arrival should dovetail rather nicely with me getting back to this big lady... so it looks like for me, 2010 will be the year the Musashi gets commissioned!

Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Monday, November 16, 2009 - 02:40 AM UTC
Glad to hear from you Dade! Can't wait to see some progress once you get healthy.
mozartg
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 93 posts
Model Shipwrights: 90 posts
Posted: Monday, November 16, 2009 - 10:31 AM UTC
Very good to hear from you again, Dade. Its been too long! Can't wait to see more of the Moose-ashi. Way too bad it never got a chance to slug it out, but war is hell.... Stephen
Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Monday, November 16, 2009 - 07:54 PM UTC
Thanks guys! Yeah, all kinds of campaigns are crashing around me in failure due to burn out and health set backs but I'll get at least a couple of builds out the door this year. If anything, it'll be kinda nice to get the Musashi done as it was my 35th birthday present and it's now four months away from my 37th birthday...
Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 16, 2010 - 05:36 AM UTC
Well, my last post above was certainly prophetic-- I talked about it being four months till my 37th birthday... and now that birthday is TODAY!

I've been so busy with other stuff (mainly thanks to Jackie's writing career taking off), that the only models I've been working on have been stuff that isn't ships. This is mainly because, as you guys know, once I go down the path of a big build, I drop everything else in life to focus on it (which isn't really healthy). Indeed, waiting for a deck was pretty much the only thing that halted this build.

Well...

As usual with Shinsengumi, the deck is gorgeous and this photo doesn't do it justice. As it's made for the Yamato also, there are some strategic cuts that have to be made for it to fit, but Shinsengumi has included a nice pattern to cut to. They have also included doors, etc. to replace the ones that will have to be shaved off the original deck (this is why the deck doesn't sit flat in the photo).

Before all this can start, I have to finish the hull. Namely the rivets on the plates and the clamps for the degaussing cable. For the latter, I was stumped as to how to do this efficiently until I lit upon the idea of using the Grab-Handler to make the clamps. Problem is, I don't own one and my finances are a little tapped for the moment, so maybe next month.

I miss you guys and promise to be back someday. This Musashi build haunts me like no other. A significant space of my bedroom is dominated by the massive case for this thing-- as is other parts of the my place for the pieces and hull. It is my aim to have this finished by the end of the year, if not sooner (hopefully summer).
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2010 - 05:45 AM UTC
can't wait to see the closeup's of this beast. I'm still struggling with my Akagi. took a break to do a 48th Phantom C/D. Working on the KAtes and Zeros for the Akagi now.
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
Model Shipwrights: 248 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2010 - 06:48 AM UTC
Late to the party, but WOW what a build!
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2010 - 07:57 AM UTC
I know what you mean, Dade, about having a project help up awaiting a product. My USS Constitution is still awaiting her crew.

--Karl
Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 05, 2010 - 09:31 PM UTC
Okay, lets get this show back on the road, shall we?

In our last thrilling episode, the deck from Shinsengumi arrived, and while looking beautiful, it didn't fit just yet. This is because the deck is in many ways a generic 1/250 Yamato class deck.

Unlike say, 1/350, where there is a definitive Yamato class model (by Tamiya), or 1/200 (by Nichimo), the world of 1/250 is more hazy. Here we have four Yamato class kits (five if you include the Shinano): Yamato and Musashi (and Shinano) by Doyusha, and Yamato and Musashi by Otaki/ Arii. None of these kits are the stand out sales leader of the bunch (although the Otaki kit I'm building has better detail than Doyusha), so Shinsengumi wisely made a generic deck that would work with all of them-- albeit with modifications.

So first up, we have to remove a bunch of stuff from the deck. Ammo boxes, gun emplacements, etc. Replacements for these items can be scratch built and Shinsengumi includes parts to aid in this (to be shown in a future installment). I also decided to remove the vents and stuff behind the breakwater with scratch items to be added later.

The gun tubs will have to be used after the deck is installed, so they will be removed and saved.

MuDeckRemove

While you can always try to measure out the area and cut a hole out of the wood deck to go around these tubs, I personally am afraid of any extra cutting done to this rare and pricey deck. So, I just cut the tubs out and filled in the holes. Thin styrene was added over the holes to add stability for when the wood deck is glued on.

MuDeckPatched

Remember what I said about the wood deck being a generic deck? Well, that means, some cutting will have to be done on that deck to get it to fit. Terrifying...

MuDeckPreCut

Specifically, the housing behind the second turret will have to be added. Shinsengumi gives a helpful pattern...

MuDeckCutPlan

But this pattern isn't perfect, so you'll still have to make lots of small cuts and tweaks. Still, when it's all worked out, the deck looks great. Note that Shinsengumi split the deck at a spot that after the superstructure is attached (and overlapping), will only be visible by .25" or less. The planking matches up great and when the pieces lay flat, the seam is barely visible. MUCH better than the stock deck that was split at a large area with uneven planking...

MuDeckDry

There are some other things we have to do before the hull is finished. Remember the degaussing cable that was added in place of the anemic one that was molded on? Well, that cable needs clamps.

First we need to measure where the clamps will go. A tailor's tape measure goes a long way here as it can wrap around the curves of the hull, unlike a normal ruler. The center point of each clamp will be spaced .25" apart.

MuDeckDry

What about the actual clamps? The Grab-handler seemed like a good idea, but a long and involved one. Then I came across some plastic channel that would fit the strip I used for the cable. Here is where a labor swap occurred: My father was in town visiting and had brought along some figures he wanted me to paint and weather. So, while I did that, he cut 410 clamps, each measuring 1/16" wide. He had surmised that I would need at least 360 clamps (Musashi is 40" long x two for each side, plus 10" allowing for width, divided by 1/4" for the spacing = 360 plus 50 extras). I ended up using 369 clamps.

Clamps

The visual interest that these clamps add to the cable, and the plastic plating from before is fantastic. The hull appearance is starting to get "weighty" and I love it.

But we're not done yet! Now it's time to start adding rivets to the plating. As I said at the beginning, this build isn't really about accuracy-- it's about "presence". Having these big bolts definitely add to the presence of this monster. I'm using stainless steel PE rivets (I have a few packs) because of their strength and toughness during the man-handling this model will see until it's mounted on the base.

I started by peeling the rivets from their backing over a piece of paper. But the rivets kept wanting to bounce or slide off. So I lit upon the idea of dumping the rivets into water as I went. Then they would simply stay in the water instead of getting lost.

Bolts1

And here is the beginning of mounting them on the Musashi. I thought the clamps were tedious (9.5 hours to mount), but this process will be going much longer. Still, I really like how they look so far.

Bolts2

Okay, 4:22am here. Gotta get some sleep and get back to the rivets tomorrow...