Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
1/250 IJN Musashi Build Log
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 05, 2010 - 11:22 PM UTC
That is magic Dade ! Glad you are posting progress pic's again.
Cheers,
Julian
Kitakami
Visit this Community
Guatemala
KitMaker: 30 posts
Model Shipwrights: 29 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 06, 2010 - 05:45 AM UTC
Your attention to eye-catching detail has always amazed me! Please keep sharing, it is a joy to see your work.
Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 846 posts
Model Shipwrights: 740 posts
Posted: Monday, June 07, 2010 - 08:27 PM UTC
Thanks guys!

I finished putting the rivets on the sides a couple hours ago. There were over 600... I have to put the bottom rivets on now, and finish the weld beads I've been doing. After all this is done and I get a coat of primer on the hull, I'll make an update (it's hard to make out the rivets right now with all the markings, etc.).
Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2010 - 12:11 PM UTC
Whew, after almost a week of finishing off the rivets, priming, fixing stuff, priming again, and then painting, here we go!

First off, when I did one last dry-fit, I noticed that there wasn't enough room under the funnel area to clear the AA gun turret. Some grinding and shaping of the underside, and now things are great!

MuFunnelRound

When all was said and done, the rivet count clocked in at about 750... I also used the CA glue to make bands for the rivets and weld beads. This whole thing was especially terrifying because the CA (Zap-A-Gap) dries clear, so I wasn't really sure what exactly it would look like after paint. It really could have gone either way, but luckily it turned out fine. In fact, I can honestly say that it turned out better than I hoped!

And so, instead of a plain, perfectly smooth hull... we now have much more visual interest. To me, this adds much more "weight" to the piece and makes the model seem even bigger. There will have to be some tweaks here and there where the paint ran under the masking, Chrysanthemum needs to be painted, etc..

MuRivets1 MuRivets2 MuRivets3

When I think that I considered the 1/200 Yamato at one point, I'm so happy I stuck with the 1/250 Musashi. This big thing is a hassle to wrestle around already-- doing this work to the 1/200 Yamato would have driven me crazy!

Speaking of wrestling this model around, I want to take a moment to talk about paint. Anyone who has followed my work knows that I prefer Gunze Sangyo acrylics. However, when Gunze decided to leave the water-based acrylics market, I found myself in a lurch. There's good old trusty Tamiya, but Tamiya's paints are generally prone to scratching and are very delicate. I would have to use paint that would stand up the abuse of man-handling a 40" hull around...

I had been using Testors Model Master's "Acryl" dull coat for the past few projects I've done, and I recently used their flesh on a figure. The paint flows on smooth and is very tough. So, I decided to try it out for this project.

After priming with White Primer #4622, I settled on Dark Gray (F-15) #4754 as a pretty good IJN Gray; and Insignia Red #4714 for under the water line. The Yamato class had a pretty bright hull red (as opposed to the brownish hull reds of ships like the Kongo), so the Insignia Red worked well.

A word of caution regarding this paint: Due to it being so tough, it will generally laugh off 70% Isopropyl Alcohol, unlike Tamiya and Gunze. If you try to clean up with it, it will generally gum up, or just plain not work. I recommend the dedicated Acrylic cleaner that Testors released for this line-- it'll free up the sludge and take care of any dried paint.

Also, while it is possible to thin this paint with alcohol for airbrush (as I have done with the Acryl flesh colors and black), the paint seems to work even better with the dedicated acrylic thinner. This isn't a requisite (and some people have done really well with 90% Isopropyl), but for me personally, using the thinner with the red and gray worked like a dream. I'm very happy with the finish and can't praise the paint quality enough. Give it a shot sometime and see what you think!

I'm going to let the hull sit for another day or so and let the paint really settle in. In the meantime, I will begin to strip the plating off the propellers to prepare them for painting. Then it will be time to start weathering the hull before it gets mounted to the stand permanently.
Gremlin56
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2010 - 03:47 PM UTC
That is absolutely magnificent Dade ! Fantastic work.
Cheers,
Julian
Kitakami
Visit this Community
Guatemala
KitMaker: 30 posts
Model Shipwrights: 29 posts
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2010 - 03:50 AM UTC
I am really looking forward to see the finished model. It is going to be really awesome!
Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 07:12 AM UTC
Thanks once again for the very kind words, guys. It'll be a few days (perhaps a week or so) before the next update, as I'll be weathering the hull before mounting it to the stand. Doing this process on such a large piece is gonna be a real time killer!
Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2010 - 06:48 AM UTC
Well, as expected, weathering the hull and deck took a long time! But here we go...

First up was post shading the lines and rivets...

MuRivets4 MuRivets5

Then it was time to do some weathering. The underside received the heaviest weathering as this is the area that would see the most fouling. Washes of Vallejo mud colors, dark rust, and black were followed up with powders from Bragdon.

MuUnder1 MuUnder2 MuUnder3 MuUnder4

A note about the rust. I used a very dark rust color for areas under the water line, essentially a red-brown. Brighter rust is reserved for above the waterline, where it would be able to oxidize better in the air. This isn't the Titanic where the rust would have almost 100 years of sitting still to oxidize into massive columns, etc..

The screws were painted and attached, and the hull was then permanently attached to the oak stand.

Finally, there's the deck. After the usual sealing with Valspar (see my build log on the Kongo for more on this), it was sprayed with 3M spray adhesive and mounted. After the adhesive dried, The Detailer (brown) was applied and then wiped off the raised portions to show the planking detail (compare to the earlier photo where the planking is almost invisible).

Some creative license was taken here: in order to better show the great planking detail on the deck, I made the lines a little darker than would be accurate (after all, these decks were holy stoned to gleam as brightly as possible). Maybe the deck is dirty because this is the Musashi as she sailed in her last days at the Sibuyan Sea?

MusashiDeck2 MusashiDeck3 MusashiDeck4 MusashiDeck5

Wow, working on the hull of this build is probably one of the single most intense modeling projects I've ever undertaken. With the exception of the little bits (rails, anchors, etc.), it's finally done. I'll do more weathering after the rest of the ship is together to consolidate the overall appearance. But until then, I'm going to use this as a good stopping point for another break so I can get some other projects done that have been piling up (including a late father's day present for my father... ahem ).

Have no fear, this break will not be like the last one (two years)! I'll be back in a month or two to finish this monster once and for all!
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2010 - 01:45 PM UTC
Beautiful work Dade!
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Friday, July 09, 2010 - 07:11 AM UTC
I am stunned as usual by your skills. All the fabrication and modifications you do is just awe inspiring. I am so glad you do all this because of you my skiills have improved just trying to copy what you do. I've still got another 350 Yamato in the stach, so i may drag it out and "upgrade it .
Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2010 - 01:32 PM UTC
Hi Kenny and Steve, thanks a lot for the nice words!

Steve, wow! You're gonna give me a swelled head with compliments like that! I'm glad that what I'm doing here can be helpful to others.
gluemark
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 11, 2010 - 12:42 PM UTC
Dade-
Great build reports! I just got my 1/250 Musashi today, and also just ordered the Gold Medal PE detail kit as well. I was wondering what you plan to do with the sides of the island superstructure base, where there is absoutley no detail of doors, windows, piping, etc.

I don't think the Gold Medal PE kit helps with that.

Thanks, Rusty
bigriver
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1 posts
Posted: Monday, September 20, 2010 - 03:12 AM UTC
Stunning work!! I have been following this for awhile ,I recently went out and purchased the 1/200 yamato and converting it to musashi. I am using your hull configuration, and must say im quite pleased so far. I look foward to further updates on your musashi.
Gremlin56
Posted: Monday, September 20, 2010 - 06:05 AM UTC
We are all looking forward to further updates on this build
please?
cheers,
Julian
Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 07:53 PM UTC
Hi guys,

Thanks for the kind words and responses. I've been involved in a bunch of commission builds that I wasn't expecting, so haven't been able to get back to this build as soon as I originally thought. But when I'm done with the commissions, this project is the first thing on my list!

Thanks again!
Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Monday, February 07, 2011 - 11:11 AM UTC
Hey guys,

I was made aware that due to some server changes, the pictures from the early part of this article were broken links. They've been fixed. So while it may take a little while to clear my work load to get back to this, at least the pics posted so far will work now.
Senkan
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 19 posts
Model Shipwrights: 18 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2012 - 10:35 PM UTC
Hey Dade. Pics aren't showing up. Would like to see they pics of the weathered hull. Any chance you can post?
Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 2012 - 03:43 AM UTC
Ah, yeah, I've changed servers for my website, which is where the pics are stored. It's a lot of material to move, so it's taking a little while to get re-uploaded to my new server space. Check back in a couple weeks and they should be back up.

Someday I'll finish this thing. My neighbor down the street actually knew about this build before meeting me in person, and asks about completion occasionally. lol Just swamped with so much other stuff!
Senkan
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 19 posts
Model Shipwrights: 18 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 13, 2012 - 07:45 AM UTC
Thanks Dade. I'm almost on year 3 of starts and stops on my 1/200 Yamato. Many of the things I did were idea's I've gotten here. So thank you. No rush.
Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2012 - 08:06 PM UTC
FWIW, this thing was my 35th birthday present... and I'll be 40 in March! But anyway, as I slowly get the pics moved around, I can at least post a fairly recent pic. We moved from Florida to Maryland, so I had to get the Musashi in a semi-state of readiness. So after some marathon sessions, I got her to a point where the hull is finished, but everything above the deck still needs to be weathered/ detailed. Full AA armament, chains, rigging, catapults, crane, planes, flags, all still need to be added.

About 85% done...

Gremlin56
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2012 - 08:31 PM UTC
Good god, the man is alive Looks great Dade.
Julian
Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Friday, October 19, 2012 - 03:34 AM UTC
Thanks! Yeah, I'm still around, just a ton of stuff happened (including that move) and is still happening. With the Musashi so close to completion, it's calling me. But I have to get other stuff done first.
Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 20, 2012 - 03:57 AM UTC
Okay, all pics have been re-linked.
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,212 posts
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2012 - 09:44 PM UTC
I love what you have Dade. Fantastic work so far. Waiting to see some more.....Cheers mark
gfarkas
Visit this Community
Hungary
KitMaker: 1 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 06:28 AM UTC
Hello!

I am a model kit builder from Hungary.
We just moved to our new home and guess what i have found during moving. Among old things i have found the very same box you proudly show on the picture in your first post.
A brand new ARII IJN Musashi 1/250.

Everything is untouched unopened except one thing.
The assembly guide is missing...

Dad kept this giant model kit untouched for 20 years because he didnt want to build it without the skills to do it.
But over the years he often opened the box and looked at the instruction sheet, wondering how would it look like assembled and now the sheet is lost.

I have been hunting for the sheet on the internet for a while now, without success.
Would you be so kind and send yours if you still have it? I would be very grateful as it would be really sad to leave the whole kit as it is just because i dont know how to assemble it.

Congratulations to your Musashi, it looks very impressive. Not sure if i will be able to build it as beautiful as you did. But i am sure i definitely want to try it.
Thank you!
Greetings from Hungary!

Gabor