General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Akagi Build Log
Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 846 posts
Model Shipwrights: 740 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 06:36 AM UTC
Ah, I see. Good to know for future reference then.
snaga61
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 82 posts
Model Shipwrights: 81 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2009 - 07:36 PM UTC
Sorry fot the lack of updates. Been working the small stuff and didn't feel there's been significant progress to warrent one. But ... every little bit counts so...

Middle section of flight deck masked for painting

Added a couple of brass tubes, ala Dade, so that the thing wouldn't wiggle once it get mounted.

Finished up the landing crafts so they can get mounted under the rear flight deck. Those PE parts are small

Got them in there. All the effort to build them and ya can't hardly see them

Starboard davits and railings. Railings all done except for the bow and the stern

The wood deck on the middle flight deck section

Port side. Still need the support girders under the port AA area

More fireboat and launch building. Will try to finish up the bow flight deck section soon.

Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Model Shipwrights: 934 posts
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2009 - 10:57 AM UTC
Great work Dave!, she's really coming along. Another great tutorial thread for when I start my Akagi.

thanks,
Frank
Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2009 - 11:27 AM UTC
Looking great, Dave! The level of detail is incredible!
snaga61
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 - 09:55 AM UTC
Dade and Frank,

Thanks for the kind words. This stage of a build is always tough for me as there is still so much to do but progress feels small.
Rab
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 353 posts
Model Shipwrights: 207 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 - 02:55 PM UTC
Great work Dave.
I just thought I'd share with you some photo's I found on a Japanese model website of someone's launch build. Sorry that I can't include their name as it's all in Japanese, but kudos to the builder for an outstanding job, wish I had seen these before I built mine.

snaga61
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 - 08:19 PM UTC
Thanks Kym. Just found that site referenced in one of the messages at Steel Navy. All I can say is: "I'm not worthy.... I'm not worthy...."
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 07:31 AM UTC
I am blown away by that little launch. I am happy just to get the brass rudder and maybe the little railings on mine. Shoot, I would love to see the rest of what he has done to the Akagi, or maybe he spent all his effort on the launch boats. The progress on this build is mind boggling. I finally finished up my Kongo to a level where I've started something else. I'm doing a heavy rail car for a Panther in 35th. God nice simple B-I-G pieces....so relaxing
superfly
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 40 posts
Model Shipwrights: 36 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 01:01 AM UTC
Excellent work Dave!

Just a couple of questions for you and Dade...

On the Akagi...the large Hinomaru on the flight deck which appeared in the battle of Midway..
Was that a large canvas that was "pinned" on to flight deck? Or was it painted? If was a canvas..would it be accurate to depict it in 1/350 with wrinkles and show it stretched in some areas??

Also...Did the flight deck have a gloss varnish on them when it was new? Would it be accurate to show that the deck had some glossy areas and worn areas during Midway?

And lastly...regarding the Chuhastu 13m Landing Craft...Is that a canvas "tent" near the rear area? what was it for? does it have openings? or is it like a tarp that covers that area where you pull off? (like on a pickup truck)

Thanks Guys!

Renato
superfly
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 40 posts
Model Shipwrights: 36 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 01:09 AM UTC
Excellent work Dave!

Questions for you and Dade...

Regarding the Chuhatsu 13m Landing Craft....what is the white "tent" used for? Is is made of canvas? does it have access forward/aft? or is just pulled on/off like a tarp on the back of a pickup truck??

And....The large Hinomaru on the flight deck during Midway...was that a removable canvas? Or was it painted on??

Lastly...Was Akagi's flight deck gloss varnished when it was new?? Would it have been worn dull by Midway???
TracyWhite
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 527 posts
Model Shipwrights: 464 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 03:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

And....The large Hinomaru on the flight deck during Midway...was that a removable canvas? Or was it painted on??

Lastly...Was Akagi's flight deck gloss varnished when it was new?? Would it have been worn dull by Midway???

1) Painted

2) No, only if wet. You don't want to put a high-gloss varnish on decks like that as it would make them slick when wet. The only time a deck should look glossy is when wet.
snaga61
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 08:11 PM UTC
Good question Renato. I was wondering that myself.

Tracy, thanks fro the info.

snaga61
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 06, 2009 - 08:06 PM UTC
A little update.

Been concentrating on the flight deck. FInished the front deck's underdeck PE and got the all of the wood deck attached. Trying to finish up the deck transfers and the PE arresting cables and nets.

I decided to put the runway markings over the Hinomaru; I prefer this look over the plain Hinomaru. The instructions had the Hinomaru over the markings but I've seen some paintings and the futabasha 3D CG Akagi depicted this way.

Here's a gotcha: the railing along the front hangar are interfering with the ladders from the front deck crow's nests. I had attached the railings based on the spacing provided by the kit; however, the width only fits the ladders from the kit but adding the PE handrails widens the ladders enough to cause problems. I've repaired some of the railing attachment points but left them loose at the ends (where they meet the ladders). I'll re-attach them once the deck has been glued on and touch up the areas.

I elected to keep the deck wind-screens in the lowered position. Hasegawa provided the plastic equivalents but the PE from Set B looked so nice. The wind-screen PE consists of three pieces sandwiched together. However if all three pieces are assembled per PE kit instructions then the whole thing would be too thick if the wind-screens were placed in the down position. So I just glued the plastic kit parts onto the deck and assembled the wind-screen using only the top two sections. Once the wood deck is on the thickness is just right. It'll look really cool once some weathering is applied to bring out the grid details.

Just the kit parts

The PE wind-screen.

Next, finish the front deck markings, put a gloss coat on the deck sections and then glue the decks

MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 574 posts
Model Shipwrights: 530 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 07, 2009 - 04:28 AM UTC
Outstanding work!
JayTDee
Visit this Community
Germany
KitMaker: 118 posts
Model Shipwrights: 117 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 07, 2009 - 07:06 AM UTC
Great!
Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 10, 2009 - 05:00 AM UTC
That deck is just so gorgeous and good work with the deflector! It really adds a great touch.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 10, 2009 - 08:11 AM UTC
Now you are making me wnt to get that wooden deck for mine. Shoot there goes aother $120. I was going to get the deck for my Ise, but Great models wantsa fortune for it. I had found it a while back at easyhobby, but they no onger have it listed. It is so light weight, I may check out one of the Japanese super stores for it. I love the one I got for my Kongo.
snaga61
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 10, 2009 - 05:23 PM UTC
Thanks guys.

Steve,

I got mine from Atomic Hobbies. It cost $106 with free shipping; but that was awhile back. Just check their site and it didn't list anything but they have a listing on eb** for $111 and about $7 or $8 shipping.
JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2009 - 12:46 AM UTC
Greatwork and that deck looks drop dead gorgeous! thanks for sharing, cheers
snaga61
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 - 07:12 PM UTC
Thanks James.

Got the front deck on and fixed most of the damages. I found it was easier to pull the ladders that caused most of the problems off, attach the deck and then re-attach.

To make sure the front deck fits, and stays, flush with the mid deck.

The dry transfers were okay but I found they were not amenable to irregular surfaces. So I used the kit decals and lots of Micro-Set and Micro-Sol (the white circled areas).

Turned out okay

Just a couple of underside snaps. My flash is way too bright. It lightened up the image way too much.

Next, the island.
Kitakami
Visit this Community
Guatemala
KitMaker: 30 posts
Model Shipwrights: 29 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2009 - 01:43 AM UTC
Great work, Dave. She is a beauty already!
feltmeyer3fjr
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 9 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2009 - 01:11 AM UTC
Dave,

Great build !!!!
I am new to the site Did you weather Deck with a wash? If so, did you have to seal the wood?

Pierre
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2009 - 06:20 AM UTC
Pierre:

Dade introduced many of us to a product called "The Detailer". It comes in black, brown and some other colors. It is an acrylic ( water based) wash. He used it on his wooden deck for the Kongo. I bought some and can vouch for it as well. I also have usd it on plastic. Super stuff !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
snaga61
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2009 - 07:52 AM UTC
Hi Pierre, welcome to the site and thanks for the kind words.

I haven't weathered the deck yet as I want to attach the rear deck and do the whole deck at the same time so that the degree of weathering is consistent across the three pieces. Can't attach the deck until I get all the boats/launches built.

I used Valspar Clear Satin (as Dade did on the Kongo) to seal the wood before I attached them onto the plastic. Once the dry transfers and decals were on I airbrushed acrylic clear gloss over the deck to protect the transfers and decal and the prep it for washes and such.

feltmeyer3fjr
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 9 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2009 - 03:54 AM UTC
Thanks for the information to both of you.
I will get ahold of Dade as he lives in the same city as I.

to Dade:
Hey Dade, looks like I will be moving back to O' town this summer.
maybe you could show me this stuff at a club meet !
My Shokaku is on the way....... what a steel under $200