General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Look what the tide washed up...
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,298 posts
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2020 - 12:25 AM UTC
Thomas,

At the current market price for the Euro I came up with $331 dollars. That is the best price I seen so far that includes shipping. Now I have a bench mark on a price if I decide to pick one up.
Reviews of the kit shows how much detail Trumpeter put into this offering. I really glad they made the hull in one piece, but they didn't open up the portholes. I would think their lighting kit for this ship would include the portholes in the hull. Just doesn't look right having the superstructure lighted and the hull dark.
Not only will the modeler have to install 1300 parts but drill out 1300 portholes...LOL.

Nice catch on both kits.

Mark
McRunty
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 602 posts
Model Shipwrights: 349 posts
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2020 - 03:27 AM UTC
Ohhhh, very nice. That's going to be a monster of a model when built.
Black_sheep
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 823 posts
Model Shipwrights: 551 posts
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2020 - 04:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thomas,

At the current market price for the Euro I came up with $331 dollars. That is the best price I seen so far that includes shipping. Now I have a bench mark on a price if I decide to pick one up.
Reviews of the kit shows how much detail Trumpeter put into this offering. I really glad they made the hull in one piece, but they didn't open up the portholes. I would think their lighting kit for this ship would include the portholes in the hull. Just doesn't look right having the superstructure lighted and the hull dark.
Not only will the modeler have to install 1300 parts but drill out 1300 portholes...LOL.

Nice catch on both kits.

Mark

Mark, this was not the cheapest price I did found. At www.besserepreise.com they offer the Titanic for around 295 EURO inclusive shipping. This is the lowest offer I found so far. But as I am a regular customer at the other shop I decided to let them do the business - I doubt there is much profit for them at this price.

As for the portholes - I just found out that the lighting set is not proposed for the lighting of the lower ship section. So if someone decide to enlighten the lower part of the ship he will need an extra set after drilling out the portholes
timmyp
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 496 posts
Model Shipwrights: 404 posts
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2020 - 06:05 AM UTC
Thomas,

Congrats on getting the Titanic! I was watching the video review that had been linked from the "/reviews" forum, and it looks like the hull is molded in one piece, which should be helpful. Can't wait to see its construction!!

Tim
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Friday, March 06, 2020 - 08:50 AM UTC
Ordered this to pick up from Hannants (London) shop.

and found this in the shop.

Looks pretty nice on the sprue.

Cheers

Si

d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 07, 2020 - 01:19 AM UTC
Si,

Never knew until now that the Fins had a submarine. Is it their design or purchased from Germany?

Mark
McRunty
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Monday, March 09, 2020 - 07:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Cheers

Si

You have an addiction sir.....
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 09, 2020 - 09:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Si,

Never knew until now that the Fins had a submarine. Is it their design or purchased from Germany?

Mark

The Fins operated 5 submarines in the 30's up until just after WW2.

CV707 is a German design, very similar to the type IIB, sold to Finland in 1936, now preserved as a Museum ship near Helsinki .

Cheers

Si
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 09, 2020 - 09:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Cheers

Si

You have an addiction sir.....

Buy em when you see em, especially Limited run stuff, that is the way I look at it, otherwise they will be been and gone.

Cheers

Si

RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2020 - 05:01 PM UTC
so this happened...

not bad, except no sheer lines drawing for 'as built' only her 1958 rebuild...
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2020 - 05:22 AM UTC
Russell,

Is this a hint of things that maybe?

Mark
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2020 - 10:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Russell,

Is this a hint of things that maybe?

Mark

Hi Mark

I sure would like to say, yes it is, but unfortunately there is no 1/350 scale kit currently available & I don't think one will materialise anytime soon 🤔....

But other options may present themselves....
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2020 - 10:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thomas,

Nice catch on both kits.

Mark

Just a quick comment from a toolmakers point of view: to have 1300 open port holes would be like trying to make a speaker mesh & each hole would need to shut off. This would substantially raise the cost of tooling, making the kit even more expensive. So, IMHO 🎺 have done the correct thing & left it to us looney model makers to do 🤣
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 24, 2020 - 09:19 AM UTC
As the Trumpy Exeter is getting close to the top of th4 build list, this arrived this morning.

not cheap, but quite a bit of etch, and some turned brass thrown in.

and cures a few issues with the base kit.

Cheers,

Si
McRunty
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Monday, July 27, 2020 - 12:55 AM UTC
Si,

I have the same kit in my stash so will be waiting for your build log with anticipation!
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 27, 2020 - 05:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Si,

I have the same kit in my stash so will be waiting for your build log with anticipation!

Not going say too much,

But now I have this, she has been bumped up the building list.

Cheers

Si
phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
Model Shipwrights: 220 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 29, 2020 - 08:59 AM UTC
Si,
looking forward to seeing the Exeter build too.

Russel, that looks like it could be a useful book. Are there drawings for the 1945 refit included? I've got the older Aoshima tooling I'm considering converting. I have the new one which is much better than the old kit, so may as well do something with it.

This oldie arrived yesterday, have always liked the Atlanta class. Fortunately it's the Pitroad/Skywave tooling and not the Matchbox.

RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, August 02, 2020 - 05:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Russel, that looks like it could be a useful book. Are there drawings for the 1945 refit included? I've got the older Aoshima tooling I'm considering converting. I have the new one which is much better than the old kit, so may as well do something with it.

Hi Stephen

There's no details for a 1945 refit per se, or are you referring to the 1954 major refit when Victorious was rebuilt with an angled deck? If so, then, you're in for a treat as the latter half of the book covers off that period
phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, August 02, 2020 - 10:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Stephen

There's no details for a 1945 refit per se, or are you referring to the 1954 major refit when Victorious was rebuilt with an angled deck? If so, then, you're in for a treat as the latter half of the book covers off that period

Hi, it's the 45 refit I'm interested in. I can just about work out the additions that were made from photos, but could do with some proper drawings. Quite difficult to work out exact sizes and shapes of the gun tubs and platforms that were fitted, not to mention the placements for the countless 20mm's!
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, August 03, 2020 - 01:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Stephen

Hi, it's the 45 refit I'm interested in. I can just about work out the additions that were made from photos, but could do with some proper drawings. Quite difficult to work out exact sizes and shapes of the gun tubs and platforms that were fitted, not to mention the placements for the countless 20mm's!

Hi Stephen, I'm afraid you may be out of luck then.

The only other option I can think of, is contacting the Greenwich Maritime Museum. They have detailed 1:192 drawings of the 1946 refit. The only problem is the exorbitant price they charge...
phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, August 03, 2020 - 06:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Stephen

Hi Stephen, I'm afraid you may be out of luck then.

The only other option I can think of, is contacting the Greenwich Maritime Museum. They have detailed 1:192 drawings of the 1946 refit. The only problem is the exorbitant price they charge...

Wow! Their charges for that are completely out of my budget!
I think the problem with the 45 refits of the Royal Navy carriers, especially those heading to the Pacific, was much of it seemed to have been in a very rushed way. I'd be surprised if detailed plans were even drawn at the time. From what I have been able to find out, the US Navy was horrified by the lack of modern AA guns on Victorious, and insisted on whatever they could wherever they could! That was during the 43 deployment to the South Pacific where she operated with US Avengers and Wildcats. And more stuff was fitted over the next two years.
I might just have to take the plunge and take a guess.
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, August 03, 2020 - 02:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow! Their charges for that are completely out of my budget!
I think the problem with the 45 refits of the Royal Navy carriers, especially those heading to the Pacific, was much of it seemed to have been in a very rushed way. I'd be surprised if detailed plans were even drawn at the time. From what I have been able to find out, the US Navy was horrified by the lack of modern AA guns on Victorious, and insisted on whatever they could wherever they could! That was during the 43 deployment to the South Pacific where she operated with US Avengers and Wildcats. And more stuff was fitted over the next two years.
I might just have to take the plunge and take a guess.

I'd say the 1946 drawings would be the documentation of the changes made... But as I have said elsewhere: If we don't know if something's right or wrong, chances are no-one else will either

As for the prices charged by the NMM, it's no wonder kit makers are reluctant to produce models of RN carriers, cruisers and so on, as when compared to getting plans of other navies, it's so much cheaper/profitable...
Black_sheep
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 823 posts
Model Shipwrights: 551 posts
Posted: Friday, August 14, 2020 - 09:47 PM UTC
I placed my order only one hour after they announced to accept preorders at their Facebook page and yesterday the postman brought me home the apparently most wanted kit these days: KA-Models 1:200 scale TITANIC DX upgrade kit . I am very exited about it as I know I am one of the very few first lucky guys who already hold it in its own hands now .

There are already many pictures out there about the spectacular details of this upgrade set, so therefore I just want to give you a short peak whats inside the box:

In the cardboard box there is a big paper sheet with many sealed etched parts and three boxes with all the tiny turned, resin and 3D-printed parts

The first box contain a lot tiny turned parts, the resin liveboats (great looking!) and the improved ship rudder etc.

The next box contain a big fret of 3D-printed parts (also breathtaking quality!), the 3D-printed anchor chain (here the carrier is already broken with my item so great carefulness is important here during handling later) and the free figure of the lady with the precious diamond (this lady and the figure set is free to the first 100 purchaser together with the free shipping)

In the third box are further more 3D-printed parts and the other free figure set for the first 100 purchasers.

Until now I only dealed with Northstarmodels 3D-printed figures and it was always very difficult to separate them from the carrier as they were always printed very near to each other resulting in a lot losses. Here, to my big relieve, they made it very clever in that way that you can easily separate carrier segments for a better painting the single parts; this is a brilliant idea and they made this for all of their 3D-printed part carriers!

Then we have a lot single nice etched frets tacked to the cardboard carrier

more etched parts and the wooden furniture deck

and behind the wooden furniture deck are some more turned brass parts and etched railings

These were the latest add ons which they initially missed which stalled the shipping but now everything is complete within the set

Eleven double sided construction manual is also aboard - this give you already some impression about the extensive work necessary for this kit - you will be away from the streets for some weeks

Personally I especially liked their colored etch fret with some signs which will add later to the general impression of this kit. I made the pictures with super zoom and you still can adumbrate the "1st class" writings at the miniscule right white signs. Also the engine telegraphs and armatures were nicely done. There are breathtaking nice colored windows, too....

I do feel very happy I have this set within my own stash now and the waiting line for the 1:200 scale TITANIC getting onto the drydock for building has shorten considerably now
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 15, 2020 - 03:29 AM UTC
Thomas,

All I can say is WOW!

Those upgrade kits with just PE and decking cost an arm and a leg, you must have re-mortgage something to be able to purchase this upgrade kit with all of those 3D pieces included. I hope you are a young man because I can seeing this project taking the builder into old age....LOL!

Mark
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, August 16, 2020 - 01:04 PM UTC
Wow Thomas! Looking forward to see that one built!