_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Want to be part of a group build? This is where to start, plan, and meet about them.
"Divine Waterline"
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 12:29 AM UTC
Ahoy mates!

Welcome to the MSW "Divine Waterline" Campaign!!

Please use this thread for reporting and discussing all of your "DW" Campaign activities, and if you haven't signed up yet and would like to participate, then follow the link below to the official Campaign Homepage, click on "Submit", and get busy!

Divine Waterline Campaign

Keep Modeling!
~Gunny
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 01:13 AM UTC
I have been chomping at the bit for this one to start. I have such a complex idea what I want to do and I only hope I can pull it off.

The overall picture I hope to put together is a have the Heianmaru sub tender as the center piece with 3-4 subs nested up to her. Then throw in a couple auxiliary ships cursing about. That is the plan and I hope I can pull it off.

But, first, the Camo Campaign.

JimMrr
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
Model Shipwrights: 409 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 04:14 AM UTC
I have a 1:700 scale White Ensign Corvette. Last winter I glued the bottom of the hull to the upper "waterlined" section,and stopped construction there. Does that disqualify this kit for the campaign?...or is there an appropriate "time penalty " I should take?..sorry for the questions but this is like my second campaign online..
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 10:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have a 1:700 scale White Ensign Corvette. Last winter I glued the bottom of the hull to the upper "waterlined" section,and stopped construction there. Does that disqualify this kit for the campaign?...or is there an appropriate "time penalty " I should take?..sorry for the questions but this is like my second campaign online..

Hi Jim!

Technically, this would disqualify the ship as the campaign started today, and so should the construction, my friend...BUT, this campaign is being led by our mate Mr. Frank Portela, and he should have the final say in the matter, since he is the campaign leader on this one...lets wait and see what he has to say about it, Jim....

~Gunny
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 11:28 AM UTC
Ooooooh, I have been waiting so long for this gem of a topic to begin!

Let's see, I have a battleship scene, a destroyer scene, and even a surfaced 1:72 U-boat idea that doesn't require throwing away the entire lower hull!

Splash away!

--Karl

JimMrr
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
Model Shipwrights: 409 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2009 - 08:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

No worries..I was just needing clarification..I think my entry shall be the 1:700 scale Tamiya HMS Nelson waterline series kit with White Ensign photo etch upgrades...

MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
Model Shipwrights: 985 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 08:22 AM UTC
Hmmm, a sinking 1:144 type XXIII - might just be fun
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 08:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hmmm, a sinking 1:144 type XXIII - might just be fun

Sounds like an interesting idea. Looking forward to it.

ajkochev
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 246 posts
Model Shipwrights: 221 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 10:14 AM UTC
I'm likely going to have to drop out of this unless I'm allowed to build two birds with one stone. So, can I wait until January and when the aircraft carrier campaign comes around if I put it on a water base before May can that count towards this. I recently was handed a commission build for next year and I don't think I'll be able too do a that many ships next year. So I guess I need approval from this leader to be allowed to wait and the aircraft carrier campaign leader to have it put in a water base and count towards this campaign as well.

It will be the 1941 IJN Akagi 1/700 scale with the full Lion Roar PE set.

If it cannot be done I'll understand.
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 08:39 PM UTC
I think the general consensus is, that a model can only be entered into one campain - sorry, but let the chief give the final answer.

I have a ICM 1:144 type XXIII submarine sitting in the stash, last night i broke it out and its a pretty simple affair, so assembly was a bliss. Its lacking here and there in detail, but since the focus is on the water, I figured I would skip on the detaillevel and just build it.....

½ hour later I was sitting with the mostly assebled boat! - so I began working on the water ... scary stuff, I´ll post pictures later...

Cheers/jan
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Friday, September 04, 2009 - 03:53 AM UTC
So far the water is a piece of styrofoam with ready to use wallspackle. - It has to sit and dry for some time, so I will cut a base and glue it on while I wait.

jimb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Model Shipwrights: 185 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 05, 2009 - 03:00 PM UTC
Jan,

That's awesome! I know that this Campaign focuses on water, but if you smooth out your "waves" a little it could be a sunk U-boat that's imbeded itself in the ocean floor.

Either way, very cool!

Jim
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Tuesday, September 08, 2009 - 01:16 AM UTC
Jan,

That is a very nice looking set up. Looking forward to seeing more on that.

MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Tuesday, September 08, 2009 - 02:28 AM UTC
Thanks guys - its a "first" for me to try and model water like that - so the outcome is very uncertain

I am working on a border/base right now - I will see if I can´t take some pics this evening.

Cheers/jan
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Tuesday, September 08, 2009 - 09:35 AM UTC
Added a wooden edge from balsawood glued on a strip of carboard and wrapped around the base - tainted and laquered - and have smoothed out the "water" and given it a basic paintjob with the airbrush - planning on doing the sub now and return to the water later - am a bit at loss at what to do with it ...

Anyway - heres the pics:

goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Wednesday, September 09, 2009 - 05:55 AM UTC
That looks really nice. Now, the interesting painting to come, the U-boat. Too bad you can't find some figures to place in the water with life rings.

goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Wednesday, September 09, 2009 - 01:28 PM UTC
Well,I got bored and decided to get this campaign started.

I might add a motor launch and couple of sea planes. I still have not decided everything.

MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2009 - 06:32 PM UTC
Should I opne a separate tread as my post tends to be a bit picture heavy ?

Anyway, got the boat painted, a coat of future and some oildot filtering and a little rust done with oils - waiting for the oil to dry up befor giving it another coat of future and then a thin running wash.

Cheers/Jan

goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2009 - 08:31 AM UTC
Jan,

I don't mind you adding photos. It helps tell the story much better. Everything is looking good!

warvos
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 350 posts
Model Shipwrights: 142 posts
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2009 - 08:32 AM UTC
Ahoi sailors

Long time since I've been here... It's nice to see so many people still enthousiastic about shipmodels;
Please count me in for the divine waterline campaign.
I'tll be fun to learn from others how to create a nice water-effect, which to me still mostly comes down to plain old luck.

I've recently finished this revell 1/144 U-boot and I'm happy about how she turned out (without weathering) ., so for this campaign I'm now planning to do a1/144 Trumpeter XXIII (with a bit more weathering) , passing the breakwaters of some small port outbound to the open sea.

Mr Mox, your XXIII turned out fantastic. She really looks like she's in distress.
Maybe you can try to add one or two scratchbuild sailors in the water or on the conning tower trying to escape?
Your water looks very convincing, so does the weathering. The colour of the water really resembles the Northsea. Only comment I can find is that I would try to make it a bit more shiny with some varnish?

It looks like we might just manage to get a whole armada of XXIII's out on the hunting grounds for this campaign!!

Happy building to all in this campaign, looking forward to seeing everybody's progress!

brgds
Björn
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2009 - 08:10 PM UTC
Hi Jim, didn´t notice before, thats a nice bunch of subs you got going, are you going to do dock, warehouses, cranse and all that stuff ?

Björn, thanks - yes the XXIII is a very attractive boat, looking forward seeing your Trumpeter being buildt - nice work on the 206 too - i like the water.

I am considering adding bullet splash to the scene to define that the boat is sinking an not just coming up ... any suggestions on how to do it ?

Cheers/Jan
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2009 - 01:27 AM UTC
Jan,

I am going to do then nestled against the tender in some secluded bay some place in the South Pacific. I have never done a 1/700 sub before and never done a ship dio, so this will be loads of fun.

warvos
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 350 posts
Model Shipwrights: 142 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2009 - 02:11 AM UTC
Hello Jan

Adding a few bulletsplashes would indeed really liven things up.
I have tried this once before and I used the tip of the cottonthingies you use to clean your ears..
Just tear of the cotton after you dipped them in water (and preferably before you dipped them in your ear...)and use the bare plastic tip to press it into the still wet plaster. You can then model them to shape because they are wet, and I found they stayed in that position even after they dried. You can then use some plaster or wallspakle to make small rings of waves around the splashes.

I saw an online diorama once before of a b-25 attacking a sub and I believe the builder used the same technique, which in his hands really looked awesome.
(if I could only remember where I saw it...)

brgds
Björn
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2009 - 06:01 AM UTC
Beautiful work mates. Jan, I plan on doing something similar with my USS Baton Rouge.
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2009 - 06:30 AM UTC
Björn - yes, using cotton would propably do the trick gotta experiment a bit tomorrow ...

Jim, a bay is allso a fine idea and propably much more manageble, as theres either a lot of scratchbuliding or shopping involved in a harbour setting.

Thanks Kenny - looking forward seeing that project!

Heres the current state, gave it a thin layer of acryllic gel and an additional layer mixed with white paint to simulate the white foam - I am goint to do the splashes before adding more to the water - going to do some water on the sub - running from floodholes etc.

_GOTOTOP