General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Builing Italeri's PT 109: The Last Night
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 875 posts
Model Shipwrights: 872 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 05, 2013 - 12:52 PM UTC
Well, I don't know if there will be such a book. I don't know anyone other than for Todd and Mr. Waples who are building this kit, and Mr. Waples and I do not get along at all, and because of that, I'm sure he would be unwilling to assist me in doing such a project.

THAT said;

Todd ... would you be willing to assist me?

And, if there's anyone out there who are considering doing this kit as any of the 103-196 series other than the 109, please go to www.ptboatworld.com and click on CONTACT US to contact me.

StuHurley
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 26 posts
Model Shipwrights: 24 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 05, 2013 - 06:40 PM UTC
Garth,
I am building mine as the 107. Certainly if I did the 109 it would be as she was aboard the Joseph Stanton, as I like the original spec of these boats with the mast and windscreen. I will get the upcoming Italeri update for the life raft and scratch build the missing toe rail. All I need to decide on then is the colour.
Stu
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 05, 2013 - 11:31 PM UTC
Great discussion going here fellas! Always good fun working things back and forth!

Garth, always willing to help if I can! Let me know!

Just in case anyone was wondering, I still have this on the bench. Been trying to finish some modeling related work I have most of the small deck parts cleaned and ready for install. I am plotting my next moves!!

107 is a nice choice there Stu!! Will be looking forward to it!!
StuHurley
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, March 06, 2013 - 12:11 AM UTC
Todd,
Thanks. Yes, we were just having a couple of beers and waiting for your next instalment. This is why this is such a great hobby. It's always really enjoyable talking to like minded people. As long as you don't mind me hijacking your blog I could share some photos. I am normally an armour and aircraft modeller but I got into PT109 when I visited Battleship Cove a couple of years back.
Best regards,
Stu

TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 06, 2013 - 12:48 AM UTC
Stu,
A great hobby it is and the best time to be modeling with some many new products everyday. I too have built more in the the armor world but lately the ship building, grass roots, has come back in full force.

Battleshop cove is awesome. Tha Massachuseets is one impressive site up close, not to mention the PT and the Sub! I live just over an hour North of there. When I am in the area, it's nice to swing by and have a peek a that big old gal!!

I will make a promise not to lag to far behind on this one. This is a rather fun project for me and I am sure will have its challenges soon!
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 06, 2013 - 02:13 AM UTC
Hello Stu,

I'd love to hear from you in regard to your project ... ask Todd for my email address or just go to www.ptboatworld.com and click on CONTACT US.

Garth
StuHurley
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, March 06, 2013 - 03:29 AM UTC
Garth,
Incoming.
S
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 06, 2013 - 03:48 AM UTC
Received and responded to.

Where in the UK are you from? From 1997 to 2002, I traveled to London once a summer.
StuHurley
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, March 06, 2013 - 05:55 AM UTC
Garth,
I live near Lichfield in Staffordshire. Sorry, I don't know London very well although my wife and I travel there often to use the Eurostar train to get to France.
Regards,
S
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 06, 2013 - 06:45 AM UTC
AH, the Eurostar. My nephew and his father used that to go to Paris while my brother and I stayed in London because we were told I'd have a hard time getting around Paris in my wheelchair.
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 06, 2013 - 08:26 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

Say Listen, ...

I'd like to ask you all a question "just for fun" ... there's no meaning to it, there's no ulterior motive to it; I'm just asking it just to start a discussion ... that is it.

Members of another board have given me answers like "the Navy did not designate them anything ..." Or, my favorite so far, "they are what they are ... just because you make up a name for them, it's not important because they were what they were.

They missed the point of my question ... I was just asking it to start a discussion; not to be shut down for asking it.

Now, before I ask the question ... let me preface it by saying I know what vessels (in WW2) the USN designated PGMs (being converted from the 110' wooden hull SCs and the 173' steel hull PCs) and I know that MGB is a Royal Navy designation and was never used on an USN vessel.......

That said, all of you know that I've coined a phrase (PTGB) for the six PTs (the 59, 60, 61, 282, 283, 284 and the 285 - but the 282 replaced the destroyed 284)to refer to those boats which were converted to all gun gunboats.

Now ...

Here's my question ...

Would you guys consider those boats as PGMs or MGBs? Both designators fit them. ...

Garth
Robbd01
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 791 posts
Model Shipwrights: 59 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 06, 2013 - 12:25 PM UTC
I am an old Cruiser sailor from the late '70's. Don't know much about them 'little' boats from the brown water Navy(coin a Vietnam era description). But I lean towards MGB then PGM. Have not heard of PGM but then again I am the same guy that is confused on the number of depth charges that were on board PT-109 on the night of her demise and I did not know that the deck needed to be sanded smooth. Don't want to go there about the 37mm Gun strapped to the forecastle(fordeck)(all my other PT-109's had a life raft). I am sure I am missing more... + =
StuHurley
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, March 06, 2013 - 06:45 PM UTC
Garth,
I am afraid I don't know either.
S
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2013 - 02:25 AM UTC
That's OK, Stu.

My question was designed to maybe start a honest, open, unbiased discussion trying to engage people as to what they felt and thought. That's it. Nothing more. It was not asked in an attempt to rewrite history or confused people as I have seen it characterized as on another site.

I was just asking what I thought was an interesting question that hopefully would garner thoughtful answers and opinions.

Sorry Guys.
StuHurley
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2013 - 03:17 AM UTC
Garth,
No need to apologise. It would be logical to drop the T if no torpedoes were carried IMHO
Just never heard of these boats so not qualified to say really.
S
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Model Shipwrights: 833 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2013 - 06:44 AM UTC
To get back to your '109', Italeri is good, but not the best. A good upgrade for the 37mm AT gun is Bronco's which includes one of their Jeep kits (which are better than either Tamiya's or DML's). If you have no use for the Jeep, you could send it to me!
Removed by original poster on 03/07/13 - 21:06:01 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 03/07/13 - 21:12:18 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 03/07/13 - 21:18:14 (GMT).
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2013 - 09:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

To get back to your '109', Italeri is good, but not the best. A good upgrade for the 37mm AT gun is Bronco's which includes one of their Jeep kits (which are better than either Tamiya's or DML's). If you have no use for the Jeep, you could send it to me!

Nice find! Certainly a possibility! LOL...will let you know if I head down that path!!
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2013 - 09:33 AM UTC
Can you post pics of the sprues of the kit's 37mm M3?
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2013 - 09:53 AM UTC

I can snap a couple different pics if needed.
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2013 - 10:32 AM UTC
I guess he's right .. it seems basic in detail.
Robbd01
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 791 posts
Model Shipwrights: 59 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2013 - 10:41 AM UTC
Just ordered Mr. Connelly's book Revell PT Boat Review along with the latest Squadron/Signal PT Boats in Action. I have the other PT Boats in Action authored by Mr. Connelly and been combing through it. I did find part that may have answered my question on why the heck carry depth charges especially the area they were operating. Seems they were used not for ASW but to drop them in front of pursuing enemy ships. If that worked then (IMHO) I would definitely want the depth charge rack replaced/fixed that was lost with accidental firing of the torpedo.
Removed by original poster on 03/08/13 - 10:12:59 (GMT).