Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
Hobby Boss 1/350 Dunkerque
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,298 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2017 - 05:23 AM UTC
Really liking how those guns are turning out. Interesting to see how the French designed their ships compared to other countries.
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Model Shipwrights: 871 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2017 - 02:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Michael!

Sorry for my late joining here, but I'm in and following for sure!!

Very interesting ship, the french had a very special and distinctive way of building their four modern battleships.
The quality of the kit looks really good, so this seems a fund build. Sometimes you just need something that builds fast and clean and you can see results. I'm struggling a little with my Hood these times...
But besides that, you are doing a splendid job on the kit.

Cheers,
Jan

Glad to have you along Jan!
I am aiming for a fun build. It is refreshing to deal with just one set of instructions (oddly ordered it may be) and see quick progress. I have let too much complexity in to my past few builds that they never seem to end so here's hoping this will be straightforward.

cheers

Michael
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2017 - 02:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Really liking how those guns are turning out. Interesting to see how the French designed their ships compared to other countries.

Thanks Mark. I think French design came from bureaucracy rather than ingenuity. They took so long to make decisions they were always trying to copy the latest ship. I believe this ship is based loosely on the Rodney and Nelson then sort of switched to looking like the Italian battleships. The French were worried the Italians might come between them and North Africa. Dunkerque has nice lines though but I don't think it was very weatherly.

cheers

Michael
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 02:34 PM UTC
Not much building here, a bit more on the planning side.
I am just laying out the superstructure to see what needs painting where. The verticals are Atlantic Grey while the decks are Navy Blue. I tend to only use an airbrush since I have never mastered the art of smooth brush work.
But it is worth admiring the moulding on this kit. It is some of the best I have seen. The base is just two pieces with excellent detail.

The vertical tower with the bridge are moulded as two seven sided pieces

The bridge with its open windows is ready for some detailing or just putting in tinted windows.

The only building achieved is adding some photo etch gussets .

cheers
Michael
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 03:07 PM UTC
the moldings look Superb Michael!

Hope this one goes together well for you
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Saturday, August 05, 2017 - 02:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

the moldings look Superb Michael!

Hope this one goes together well for you

Thanks Russ, that is my hope too and so far so good. The fit for some the smaller pieces is a snap fit which is great.

cheers
Michael
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Saturday, August 05, 2017 - 02:47 PM UTC
A job I never look forward to, the small boats. I have made a start. They are well done, with the rudders and screws moulded on.

I have also started the kit supplied cradles. I though I would attached these and then paint the hulls.

The one on the left has wheels because Dunkerque had a track system for some boats next to the main boat deck. I dry brushed the tracks silver so they stood out a bit.

And where would you be without a couple of boat cranes.

I will probably run some line to add to the effect.

cheers
Michael
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,298 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 05, 2017 - 04:15 PM UTC
Having the rudders and props on is a big help. I always manage to knock a few PE parts off while painting.

Nice touch showing wear on the tracks for the cradles.
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, August 06, 2017 - 02:23 AM UTC
I agree Michael: boats are never something that I enjoy either. They're deceptive though, luring you in with their apparent simplicity, but then they whack you with just how much detail they require.

Hobby Boss seem to have done a good job here and provided a lot more than just the usual 'blob' that most kit makers do.

Cradles on wheels! Who knew!

"Roll on!"
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,169 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,597 posts
Posted: Monday, August 07, 2017 - 12:50 AM UTC
Ahoy Michael

Nice work again.

More rain coming hope you get a chance to get some work in on this build.

Cheers

Sean
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, August 07, 2017 - 05:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Having the rudders and props on is a big help. I always manage to knock a few PE parts off while painting.

Nice touch showing wear on the tracks for the cradles.

Thanks Mark,
It is one of the benefits of an OOB build is that there is very little PE to knock off, a circumstance I am intimately familiar with. Hobby Boss provide some PE for the boat davits which they suggested that they be added to the hull in Step 3. I can't imagine how long they would have lasted if I had taken that step.

cheers

Michael
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, August 07, 2017 - 05:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I agree Michael: boats are never something that I enjoy either. They're deceptive though, luring you in with their apparent simplicity, but then they whack you with just how much detail they require.

Hobby Boss seem to have done a good job here and provided a lot more than just the usual 'blob' that most kit makers do.

Cradles on wheels! Who knew!

"Roll on!"

Cheers Russ. The little boats do give the opportunity to add a little colour to what is otherwise a fairly dark scheme of dark sea grey and navy blue.

Michael
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, August 07, 2017 - 05:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ahoy Michael

Nice work again.

More rain coming hope you get a chance to get some work in on this build.

Cheers

Sean

You're right there. The weather has been great for modelling the past few weeks though that is not the only contributor to progress here. I am trying a new approach to time at the bench. Previously if couldn't set aside 1.5 hours or more I didn't bother. Now even if I have 20mins I aim to get something done, even if it only folding 3 or 4 boat cradles. It has made a big difference.

cheers
Michael
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, August 07, 2017 - 06:00 AM UTC
Interesting. I have the Richelieu in the stash for umpteen years now so never considered this kit before. I like what i have seen. Looks like the photoetch supplied may be sufficient for my needs. Hmmmmmm
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Monday, August 07, 2017 - 09:47 AM UTC
Hi Michael,

very nice progress indeed!!

I like your idea to use short periods of time to get small things done - I did that a time ago and it really makes a difference! I gave it up for some reason, I don't know why - probably during a time I was a little frustrated, but I have to start doing exactly that again. No extended bench time periods in sight for me during the next weeks. However, getting something done before heading into office...well...I'll have to try.

Great work on your Dunkerque!

Cheers,
Jan
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, August 07, 2017 - 03:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Interesting. I have the Richelieu in the stash for umpteen years now so never considered this kit before. I like what i have seen. Looks like the photoetch supplied may be sufficient for my needs. Hmmmmmm

Hi Steve,
I haven't seen the Richelieu kit myself but I think it may be from the early style of Trumpeter kits so this definitely is a step up from that in terms of quality and ease of assembly. The photo etch is about right though my only disappointment with it is they provide railings for the superstructure and not the main deck. I would have though a few runs of straight railing would only have cost a few extra bucks.

cheers
Michael
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, August 07, 2017 - 03:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Michael,

very nice progress indeed!!

I like your idea to use short periods of time to get small things done - I did that a time ago and it really makes a difference! I gave it up for some reason, I don't know why - probably during a time I was a little frustrated, but I have to start doing exactly that again. No extended bench time periods in sight for me during the next weeks. However, getting something done before heading into office...well...I'll have to try.

Great work on your Dunkerque!

Cheers,
Jan

Thanks Jan.
The new approach is working. I found waiting for sufficient time to model meant there gaps of three or four weeks were nothing was happening. I will see how long I can keep this up for but it is more enjoyable.

cheers
Michael
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 03:34 PM UTC
Not a lot of visible progress. Just masking the ship's boats and the decks for painting.
Since I bought this kit I have tried to find out a bit more about Dunkerque and ended up buying this which arrived today.

While the title is broad it is primarily about the two sets of battleships, Dunkerque and Strasbourg, and Richelieu and Jean Bart. Some great colour plates of how each of the ships looked over the years.
So at first glance the kit is pretty accurate but I think the grey I have used (as suggested by HobbyBoss) is too dark. I will have to think about that. Maybe too far gone now for a repaint.

cheers
Michael
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 10:21 AM UTC
Hi Michael!

yep, Jan's correct: chipping away in small doses is the best way to move things forward, especially on these modern kits and with life being so hectic nowadays. There are no more Saturday morning slammers, like when we were kids hey?

I've heard good things about that book, so it should help things along. I wouldn't stress about the colour mate-they're always subjective, and if your not going to do any weathering then it'll look just fine.
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 02:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Michael!

yep, Jan's correct: chipping away in small doses is the best way to move things forward, especially on these modern kits and with life being so hectic nowadays. There are no more Saturday morning slammers, like when we were kids hey?

I've heard good things about that book, so it should help things along. I wouldn't stress about the colour mate-they're always subjective, and if your not going to do any weathering then it'll look just fine.

Cheers Russ, I thought about softening the colour, then thought about all the remasking. I live with it

Michael
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 02:33 PM UTC
Progress continues, in small steps.
Painted and masked the superstructure. Fiddly and time consuming.

Highlighted a bit of frenchness

And built the funnel. This is the first piece that hasn't fit well. Shaved a bit of the rear superstructure for a snug fit.

Progress is still being made on the small boats, mainly in the masking.

cheers
Michael
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 04:35 PM UTC
nice work on the masking Michael.

It's these little details that really make a stand out build
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,169 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,597 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 12:48 AM UTC
Ahoy Michael

More nice work.

The masking will be worth it when you take it all off.

I can tell you are certainly enjoying this build.

Cheers

Sean
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 12:35 AM UTC
Very nice progress, Michael - this masking is time consuming for sure, but it's worth it. As often, lots of work that you can't see immediately, but only in the end result of a fine model.

- I would not repaint at this stage, but that's just me...

Cheers,
Jan
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 07:07 AM UTC
Exceptional work all around Michael!! Always worth the time and effort to lay down a good masking!