Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
Hobby Boss 1/350 Dunkerque
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 22, 2017 - 05:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

... I got it half rigged then knocked the mast off. While the rigging remained attached it was impossible to sort out the tangled mess so a restart. I was also experimenting with the radio aerials. Let me know what you think...
cheers
Michael

Michael, how frustrating! That sort of setback usually knocks the wind right out of my sails, so kudos for keeping on! Otherwise the rig job is looking good so far. What are those things on the lines that look like spools - are they aerial spreaders?
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,298 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 22, 2017 - 08:14 PM UTC
Very nice work. Feel your pain about the rigging. Glad to heard that you are continuing on.
ChurchSTSV
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 350 posts
Model Shipwrights: 175 posts
Posted: Monday, October 23, 2017 - 02:58 AM UTC
I bought this ship on Battle of Warships on Android. Now I must find one to build. Great looking ship and great job.
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Model Shipwrights: 871 posts
Posted: Monday, October 23, 2017 - 10:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

... I got it half rigged then knocked the mast off. While the rigging remained attached it was impossible to sort out the tangled mess so a restart. I was also experimenting with the radio aerials. Let me know what you think...
cheers
Michael

Michael, how frustrating! That sort of setback usually knocks the wind right out of my sails, so kudos for keeping on! Otherwise the rig job is looking good so far. What are those things on the lines that look like spools - are they aerial spreaders?

Thanks Tim!
And good spot they are indeed spools. They are, to use the latest term, repurposed hose reels from NorthStar. I tried to fashion my own but after a few attempts a hunt through the photo etched left overs gave me this idea.
If you look closely they are also used (a different reel) on both types of cranes.

cheers
Michael
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, October 23, 2017 - 10:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Very nice work. Feel your pain about the rigging. Glad to heard that you are continuing on.

Cheers Mark. I feel I have to finish this build to make up for the last couple of ship builds which are sitting on the shelf as dockyard queens.
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, October 23, 2017 - 10:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I bought this ship on Battle of Warships on Android. Now I must find one to build. Great looking ship and great job.

How does it stack up in the game? In real life it never recovered from Hood's onslaught and ended up in a dockyard where it was finally scuttled.
Despite that the kit is a straight forward build though so i would recommend it.

cheers
Michael
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Monday, October 23, 2017 - 03:41 PM UTC
Fantastic update Michael!

Your rigging looks great. Nice recovery after the dockyard incident! Rigging is never easy, but I have to admit I enjoy it more that PE!
ChurchSTSV
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 350 posts
Model Shipwrights: 175 posts
Posted: Monday, October 23, 2017 - 09:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

How does it stack up in the game? In real life it never recovered from Hood's onslaught and ended up in a dockyard where it was finally scuttled.
Despite that the kit is a straight forward build though so i would recommend it.

cheers
Michael

Its real meh. Its shot grouping is garbage and secondary's aren't the best. But in a world of Yamato's and Bismarck's, its a refreshing change and a challenge.
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 11:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Fantastic update Michael!

Your rigging looks great. Nice recovery after the dockyard incident! Rigging is never easy, but I have to admit I enjoy it more that PE!

Thanks Russ.
I am bit 50:50 on them myself. I think the rigging adds the finishing touch and the ship always looks slightly awry without it. PE I like and the etch with set was pretty good but could have done with more like the railings but I think some of the sets now are completely OTT. I know since I have bought some but I don't know how I start those kits, they just seem daunting now.

cheers
Michael
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 11:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

cheers
Michael

Its real meh. Its shot grouping is garbage and secondary's aren't the best. But in a world of Yamato's and Bismarck's, its a refreshing change and a challenge.

Ha, that's no surprise, there fire directors were pretty ordinary and the secondarys suffered from slow rotation and poor loading speeds.
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 02:08 PM UTC
Finished the rigging

The rest of the radio aerials

I also added some signal halyards(?) between the yards. I learned some lessons for the next time I do this and that is use a heavier weight line for the main line as the double signal halyards will drag down the a same weight line if that makes sense.

The photos show the other lines becoming a bit wayward. Using such a fine line of 0.01 means it has no weight to hold shape. Might try a 0.03 line but it will be much thicker than the others so I am not sure that will work.

Last bit of work for the weekend was to "rail" the foredeck.

As previously mentioned I don't have enough to finish the midships. I have ordered more from NorthStar but things seem to have gone quiet there. They accepted the order for stock they had and they usually ship pretty quickly but no word for a couple of weeks.

Still to go, the boats and the various stairways.

cheers
Michael
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 02:31 PM UTC
Looks great Michael!

Great work on the rigging! Nearly there now!
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,298 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 04:52 PM UTC
The rigging looks awesome! Did those insulators and pulleys come with the kit?
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Monday, October 30, 2017 - 12:53 AM UTC
Very nice job indeed Michael,

The rigging does look splendid.

Cheers

Si
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, October 30, 2017 - 10:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks great Michael!

Great work on the rigging! Nearly there now!

Thanks Russ. Yes, finish line a couple of weeks away based on current form which will be good because I have a couple of small campaign builds to attend to soon.

Quoted Text

The rigging looks awesome! Did those insulators and pulleys come with the kit?

Cheers Mark, No, the insulators are refashioned hose reels and the pulleys are sliced up 1mm evergreen rod. This kit, and I think most kits, allow little provision for rigging.
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, October 30, 2017 - 10:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Very nice job indeed Michael,

The rigging does look splendid.

Cheers

Si

Thanks Si,
I think the two things a ship can't do without are railings and rigging so a little expansion on my purely OOB was required.

cheers
Michael
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 01:26 AM UTC
Hi Michael,

Could not agree more, to me in this scale, a model can look a little toy like without them.

Cheers

Si
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Friday, November 10, 2017 - 03:07 PM UTC
Elle est fini! Dunkerque is launched.

This photo shows the amount railing still required. Once NorthStar deliver I will add it on.

It was fun doing a straightforward kit out of the box. Ship wise I don't know what's up next but I have a couple of campaigns that are up next that I will need to kick start.

cheers
Michael
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Friday, November 10, 2017 - 08:20 PM UTC
Michael,

"Straightforward" the build may have been, but your smooth, clean Dunkerque really looks the business!
modelmanuk12
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 27 posts
Model Shipwrights: 27 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 11, 2017 - 12:43 AM UTC
excellent work Michael
if you want your next project how about the Alaska that's my next model after I finish the dunkerque / strasbourg and it comes with more PE and it has all the railings
Jettail
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 50 posts
Model Shipwrights: 33 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 11, 2017 - 04:56 AM UTC
Sorry Im late, but amazing job! You do it justice, I have this ship on World of Warships, and I want to do a kit of her so darn badly...
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Saturday, November 11, 2017 - 11:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Michael,

"Straightforward" the build may have been, but your smooth, clean Dunkerque really looks the business!

Thanks Tim!
It is a good looking ship and Hobby Boss did a pretty good job with the parts, very few issues and good fit.

cheers
Michael
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Saturday, November 11, 2017 - 11:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

excellent work Michael
if you want your next project how about the Alaska that's my next model after I finish the dunkerque / strasbourg and it comes with more PE and it has all the railings

Hi Peter,
Thanks for your support. The Alaska sounds interesting, but the new Seydlitz also looks promising, however I have promised myself to build from the stash and buy no more ships for the moment so next year I will look at the pile and see what appeals.

cheers
Michael
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Saturday, November 11, 2017 - 11:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sorry Im late, but amazing job! You do it justice, I have this ship on World of Warships, and I want to do a kit of her so darn badly...

Hi Cameron,
Never too late!
I have never looked at World of Warships but I am not sure I would pick Dunkerque as one of mine knowing what I know now about its flaws.

cheers

Michael
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,169 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,597 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 11, 2017 - 11:41 PM UTC
Ahoy Michael

Very nice build indeed.

Well done great effort.

Cheers