_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Cruisers
Topics covering cruisers both past and present.
1/350 Kleiner Kreuzer Emden - Tsingtau 1913
Black_sheep
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 823 posts
Model Shipwrights: 551 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 29, 2018 - 09:50 PM UTC
Ahoy mates,

it has been some time already when I did finished my ISUZU. After two other projects (truck and airplane) I feel the need to build a nice ship again.

This time it will be REVELL´s Cruiser SMS Emden of the imperial german navy. I choosed to represend the Emden in her white-yellow livery at the Ostasiengeschwader in Tsingtau before the outbreak of WWI´s hostilities there. The ship itself is famous in german naval history and I don´t want to bore someone with it´s history again but want to recommend a film about the ship and the remaining crew´s epic voyage back home again from asia. For the interested here is a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZyv5QqP0hw

REVELL´s kit was already released in 1994 and is altoghether a nice kit. But, of course, there is much room for improvement. Luckily there is quite a bit aftermarket stuff available for her and I think I have it all . Lets see what we got here:

First is the basic kit. I bought this double combo cheaply at Ebay. The Dresden is also a good known battle veteran which will be build at a later time.

Then we have EDUARD´s etched sets part 1 + 2, also bought at a nasty cheap price at Ebay. With these sets the look of the lady will improve drastically

Then there is ARTWOX´s real wooden deck

Then I do have a premiere for myself: This is the very first time I will use 3D-printed parts for a model. I bought some useful extra parts from Shapeways for this cruiser. We´ll begin with the main guns which are the most weakest parts in the basic kit as they are represented just as clumsy plastic lumps. These one from Shapeways are beautyful!

Then we have the secondary guns. These printed parts are also much more elaborated and more sleek than the plastic ones

I do also have new searchlights which also will add more realism

I´m not decided if I will present this ship onto a socket or place it inside a water diorama. We´ll see...

Let the games begin

Thomas
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,298 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 29, 2018 - 11:32 PM UTC
Thomas,

So how does it feel spending twice or three times for aftermarket for what that kit cost?...LOL. I say that because I just purchased all of the Shapeway items myself for the same kit. Twice, one set for each ship and I still have to purchase the PE.

Please take some close up photos of those guns after you painted and weathered them comparing to the one that came with the kit.

This kit is on my to do list for next year. So your build will be on my follow list.

Good luck,

Mark
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 29, 2018 - 11:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thomas,

So how does it feel spending twice or three times for aftermarket for what that kit cost?...LOL. I say that because I just purchased all of the Shapeway items myself for the same kit. Twice, one set for each ship and I still have to purchase the PE.

Thomas,

I was planning on purchasing the PE from Gold Metal Model but checking prices on those Eduard PE sets you posted, I just purchase the Eduard sets from LOM. With their promo going on this week, for just about the same price I was able to get twice the PE than what GMM was offering.

Mark
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Monday, October 01, 2018 - 01:03 AM UTC
This will be fun to watch Thomas. The 3D printed guns and searchlights address the biggest shortcomings of this kit - I look forward to seeing what you do with them!
Black_sheep
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Monday, October 01, 2018 - 04:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thomas,

Please take some close up photos of those guns after you painted and weathered them comparing to the one that came with the kit.

This kit is on my to do list for next year. So your build will be on my follow list.

Good luck,

Mark

Hello Mark and welcome aboard my build! It´s always nice to know you are not sailing alone

I am already used to spend money for extra parts so I am not shocked anymore about this. When I decide to build a model I want do to it with as much useful AM-stuff is available for it. There are some kit boxes which can not be completely closed anymore because of all that AM-stuff within

A closeup comparison between the kit´s guns and the shapeway parts will be following in time.

Black_sheep
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Monday, October 01, 2018 - 04:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This will be fun to watch Thomas. The 3D printed guns and searchlights address the biggest shortcomings of this kit - I look forward to seeing what you do with them!

Hi Tim, I will do my best to let that lady shine
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,169 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,597 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 02, 2018 - 07:11 AM UTC
Ahoy Thomas

Another great looking build.

I will also be following this build closely.

Cheers

Sean
Black_sheep
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Tuesday, October 02, 2018 - 07:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ahoy Thomas

Another great looking build.

I will also be following this build closely.

Cheers

Sean

Hello Sean and welcome. Glad to have you aboard, too!

RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 02, 2018 - 10:28 PM UTC
I'm on board and following with interest Thomas
Black_sheep
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Tuesday, October 02, 2018 - 11:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm on board and following with interest Thomas

One known and valued passenger more - welcome Russell
Black_sheep
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2018 - 12:12 AM UTC
As there are a lot parts which will be replaced with etched parts from EDUARD´s sets there has to be shaved off quite some pieces of the original kit. I also want to depict all gun hatches open as you should be able to see the nice SHAPEWAY guns. This is what needed to be removed:

As our dock Workers were not lazy we already accomplished this job. I smoothed out some scratches with putty. The surfaces will need to get carefully sanded over These Areas. Everything looks like this now:

I will continue with scratchbuilding the tween decks for the side guns.

Cheers

Thomas
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Model Shipwrights: 258 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2018 - 12:25 AM UTC
Bookmarked for sure
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2018 - 04:41 AM UTC
Nice job removing all that plastic. I am now starting to feel some buyers remorse getting those same Eduard upgrades for my kit.

Mark
Black_sheep
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2018 - 05:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Bookmarked for sure

New spectators! Hello and welcome Anthony
Black_sheep
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2018 - 05:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice job removing all that plastic. I am now starting to feel some buyers remorse getting those same Eduard upgrades for my kit.

Mark

Hehe Mark there is no way out now - flank modelling speed ahead now for you
Black_sheep
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2018 - 05:48 AM UTC
small update about my work this evening: I scratchbuilt the internal cabins for the opened gunports out of Evergreen styrene. The result is looking that way:

Stern 5 cm hull guns

aft 10,5 cm hull guns

forward 10,5 cm hull guns

bow 5 cm hull guns

In the end not much of these compartments will be seen but I wanted to depict hatches open to see the nice guns better.

Thats it for tonight, we leave for the quayside bar now
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2018 - 07:45 AM UTC
Thomas,

Nice idea opening up those positions so those guns are more exposed. Are you going to show any of the armor doors in a stowage position?

Mark
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
Model Shipwrights: 249 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2018 - 08:30 AM UTC
Thomas,
I'm glad to be following along. I never bought this kit because of the guns. But now, I think I will.

Loving the work you've done so far!

Gaz
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2018 - 12:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

...In the end not much of these compartments will be seen but I wanted to depict hatches open to see the nice guns better.

Thomas,

They might ultimately be hard to see, the gun positions look cool! So what if viewers will have to crouch down and look in with penlights?!

RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2018 - 06:49 PM UTC
Ripper progress Thomas!
Black_sheep
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Thursday, October 04, 2018 - 07:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thomas,

Nice idea opening up those positions so those guns are more exposed. Are you going to show any of the armor doors in a stowage position?

Mark

Hi Mark, not sure what you mean with "stowage position" - If you mean here opened - yes I will show all armored hatches opened later.

Cheers
Black_sheep
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Thursday, October 04, 2018 - 08:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

...In the end not much of these compartments will be seen but I wanted to depict hatches open to see the nice guns better.

Thomas,

They might ultimately be hard to see, the gun positions look cool! So what if viewers will have to crouch down and look in with penlights?!

Tim, extra for you - just in case you will come one day as a guest to us and crouching down in front of my Emden and stirring around with a penlight:

Black_sheep
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Thursday, October 04, 2018 - 08:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thomas,
I'm glad to be following along. I never bought this kit because of the guns. But now, I think I will.

Loving the work you've done so far!

Gaz

Gaz, welcome aboard to you, too. There is always enough room at the ship for new passengers
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 04, 2018 - 09:17 AM UTC
I was wondering if you were going to add any features to the inside walls. Will you be adding boxes or cable runs to the walls to along with the door?

Mark
Black_sheep
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Friday, October 05, 2018 - 11:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I was wondering if you were going to add any features to the inside walls. Will you be adding boxes or cable runs to the walls to along with the door?

Mark

Not yet decided about that Mark. At least the bow and stern gun compartment openings are so small - you will not even see the doors exept Tim with his penlight
 _GOTOTOP