Ships by Class/Type: Destroyers
This forum covers all types of destroyers from all eras.
Z18 Hans Ludemann, Norway 1940.
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,298 posts
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2019 - 01:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The Etch is looking might fine Si.....Cheers Mark

Ditto!
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 26, 2019 - 01:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Ditto!

Thanks Mark and Mark, it was a bit fun to fit, to say the least, long thin bits of etch do like curling up as you take them of the fret.

Cheers

Si
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2019 - 03:00 AM UTC
I fully agree with the others, your etch is looking really good!

Cheers,
Jan
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2019 - 07:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I fully agree with the others, your etch is looking really good!

Cheers,
Jan

Thanks you Jan,

Much appreciated, they were "fun" to get down. Once I have the deck painted and the air recognition markings on the mine rails will get a touch pf dry brushing and washing to bring them out.

Cheers

Si

RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2019 - 09:53 PM UTC
The Weekend's progress.

The Hull sprayed anti fouling red.

The deck given a coat of dark grey.

The upper hull sprayed what looked like the right shade of grey.

In bright winter sunshine. once in more normal light, way to dark, and almost no contrast with the deck colour. Anti fouling re-masked and a bit of hairy stick work with the old XF20.

Also the revell boxing comes with some decals for the boot topping, I thought I would give them a try, and they went down very well indeed.

More soon

Si
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2019 - 06:32 AM UTC
I never understood why kit makers don't include decals for depth markers for the hull?

Mark
Quincannon
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 275 posts
Model Shipwrights: 273 posts
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2019 - 08:06 AM UTC
Simon: I swear that cannot be the re-box of the Russian company's German DD I mentioned above. Those portholes I spoke of looked like dimples in the hull, they were so pronounced, and I see no evidence of that on your hull pictures. I mean they were just plain everyday ugly.

Now I know the words I want to use to describe those portholes. Each porthole was deep, but that's not really the issue. Each was surrounded by an indentation, that made it appear that the hull had Chickenpox scars.

Went bragging about your work to a long time friend and fellow little guy modeler, also from the UK. He recently did the Queen Lizzie and the Prince each from one of those 3D kits by Shapeways in 1/1200. Best looking flight decks I have seen in a very long time in that scale, and he went through hell getting those 3D printings smooth enough to be acceptable.
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,212 posts
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2019 - 06:41 PM UTC
Nice colour contrast Si. Ditto to not having Bootmaks in the Kit. Nearly every Ship had them.....Cheers mark
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2019 - 09:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I never understood why kit makers don't include decals for depth markers for the hull?

Mark

Good question Mark,

On ships like this with relatively smooth hulls, not a bad idea, the transom stern helped as well . I have Warspite sat on the desk in front of me, and the thought of trying to lay decals down along the curves, lumps and bumps of her waterline, and crossing the stern right on the apex of the curve..... Even with well designed decals it would be a nightmare.

I will say in this case, apart from a drop of microsol around the bow, the decals went on very well, and presented with same option on a similar shaped hull I would at least try it.

Cheers.

Si

RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2019 - 10:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Simon: I swear that cannot be the re-box of the Russian company's German DD I mentioned above. Those portholes I spoke of looked like dimples in the hull, they were so pronounced, and I see no evidence of that on your hull pictures. I mean they were just plain everyday ugly.

Now I know the words I want to use to describe those portholes. Each porthole was deep, but that's not really the issue. Each was surrounded by an indentation, that made it appear that the hull had Chickenpox scars.

Went bragging about your work to a long time friend and fellow little guy modeler, also from the UK. He recently did the Queen Lizzie and the Prince each from one of those 3D kits by Shapeways in 1/1200. Best looking flight decks I have seen in a very long time in that scale, and he went through hell getting those 3D printings smooth enough to be acceptable.

Hi Chuck,

I can assure you it came out of the same moulds. I used a Russian boxing when I converted one into the Hans Lody (Z10), which is a Mod 1934A. The sprue layout is the same, the hull is a little short for a Mod 1936, by my measurements. The plastic may be a better quality, hence it looks a bit crisper. If I still have the base for the Russian boxing kicking about, I will photograph the two together.

It looks to me Revell may have leased the moulds, everything else about the kit is Revell.

Those baby flattops do sound a bit good. Any danger of some photos?

Cheers

Si
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2019 - 10:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice colour contrast Si. Ditto to not having Bootmaks in the Kit. Nearly every Ship had them.....Cheers mark

Hi Mark,

This isn't the only Revell kit with boot topping decals, Their Bismarck and Tirpitz in this scale have them as well. Not sure about the other kits.

I do think it would depend very much on the shape of the hull in that area whether they would work or not. Masking tape can be a kit more forgiving.

Thank you for looking.

Cheers

Si
Quincannon
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 275 posts
Model Shipwrights: 273 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2019 - 03:36 AM UTC
Revell's big Fletcher (all versions) has the boot topping decals as well.

Simon you might wonder over to the Dockside web site and scroll back a couple of pages, or if he looks in here as he said he would shortly after his current SWMBO duties, I would suspect Jeff will post them. I know he is very proud of them, and has every right to be. The picture of QE is also on the Shapeways web site.
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2019 - 03:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Revell's big Fletcher (all versions) has the boot topping decals as well.

Simon you might wonder over to the Dockside web site and scroll back a couple of pages, or if he looks in here as he said he would shortly after his current SWMBO duties, I would suspect Jeff will post them. I know he is very proud of them, and has every right to be. The picture of QE is also on the Shapeways web site.

Interesting, may be common to quite a few Revell kits Chuck.

Will have a wander over when I get a quiet five minutes, thanks for the heads up.

Cheers

Si
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2019 - 07:47 AM UTC
This week's progress.

Like all Kriegsmarine vessels that took part in Operation Wesserburg, the Hans Ludemann wore air recognition markings. They were not standard for the destroyers, in size or style. some appeared to have flags lashed to their decks, others were painted on, but no standard size. Z18's appeared to be painted on but quite narrow. non were provided, these came from an old Tauro sheet of paper flags.

The flag cut in two, fixed in place with spray mount, and masks in place for the rest to be brushed on.

Finished.

The bridge and Bruno gundeck under construction.

One problem, the very nice etched W/T doors on WEM fret are a little too large.

As the moulded detail for the doors is not the best, and I have no suitable replacements in my spares box. a little scratchbuilding. The prototype.

needs a few refinements, but with practice they will get better.

However the kits moulded anchor cables look pretty good. One with the etched wheel and one with the kit part. The kit past is ok, but the etch is a big improvement.

some subtle drybrushing on the mine rails, a dull steel & bright rust where used.

and a dirty brown wash applied over the minerails.

More soon.

Cheers

Si

GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
Model Shipwrights: 249 posts
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2019 - 11:27 AM UTC
Looking good, Si! I wonder which is out of scale... The doors, or the ship?

Keep up the good work!

GAz
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2019 - 12:17 PM UTC
Si,

I am surprised that WE door doesn't fit from a fret that was designed for that kit. Never had that issue with their PE.

Mark
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2019 - 09:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking good, Si! I wonder which is out of scale... The doors, or the ship?

Keep up the good work!

GAz

Good question Gaz, I don't have any reliable drawings of a Mod '36. The kit parts don't look wrong, compared to photographs.

Could be the wrong style of door.

Thank you for looking in.

Cheers

Si
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2019 - 10:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Si,

I am surprised that WE door doesn't fit from a fret that was designed for that kit. Never had that issue with their PE.

Mark

Hi Mark, first time I have had that issue, very odd, but it looks like the wrong style of door, study of photographs shows the W/T doors on these ships to be more rounded top and bottom.

I must have another dig through the workshop, I did have a fret of Kriegsmarine doors & hatches, that may have something that fits, otherwise I have another 19 doors to scratchbuild.

Cheers

Si
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2019 - 08:02 AM UTC
Last weekend's progress.

I think I have solved the door issue. There is basically nothing wrong with the WEM doors, as standard doors, the flare on the bow means the superstructure under Bruno gun deck was tapered towards the bow. Unfortunately however no shorter doors are provided.

The second scratchbuilt door next to a full height door, the foremost door is even smaller.

This seems to have been common, Dragon provide the smaller doors on their etch for German Destroyers.

The screws painted and fitted.

The anchor cables, painted dark grey and washed with black.

Cable reels for the foredeck, made from WEM etch and plastic rod.

Cable reels and anchor cables fitted, The cables have been given a light rusty orange dry brush, and another wash, then some red was crudely added on to the cable over the Air recognition markings.

The ladder access holes on the bridge wings needed widening, I think I have had to do this on almost every occurrence of a ladder passing through a deck, whatever etch I have been using, the stbd side has been widened .

Wood deck on the bridge painted, and washed.

basic plastic funnel & steam pipes, they look quite good in place.

The forward superstructure test fitted.

I am in the office two days this week, so might not a Friday update, or much of one.

Cheers

Si

d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2019 - 02:12 PM UTC
Si,

Nice progress.

Mark
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
Model Shipwrights: 249 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2019 - 06:11 PM UTC
NIce progress, Si.
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2019 - 01:44 AM UTC
Nice deck, Si.

With all the aftermarket wood decks out there, we sometimes forget how convincing skillfully applied paint can look!
McRunty
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 602 posts
Model Shipwrights: 349 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2019 - 03:51 AM UTC
Looking great so far Simon. You are always so neat and precise in your builds!
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2019 - 08:52 PM UTC
nice start Si, following with interest mate
RedDuster
Visit this Community