Ships by Class/Type: Frigates
This is for topics on modern Frigates. For the sailing variety they should still go under Sailing.
F225 Rheinland-Pfalz German Navy 1/700
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2019 - 07:45 AM UTC
Gentlemen,

thank you all for your kind comments and for following along!!

Thomas, no, not like a hawk, more like a fish meanwhile, I can't do anything without proper magnifiers. And my accustomed ones simply weren't sufficient to do the job, so I got those here a week ago:

Needs a bit training and especially with this hot weather not very comfortable but the lenses are good and combined with the LED it helps me getting along. And I, too, would wish for a 1/350 scale kit, but I doubt we will ever see one. Anyway.

A little more progress today, before there will be the next break. I started with the BUSTER boats.
Once again, the resin and etch parts are just amazing, everything fits together perfectly so far, so despite it's size this model is fun to build!

Detail is amazing. And somehow I ask myself, while I am happy as a modeler, is it a good thing that a Chinese company knows everything down to the propulsion (two water jet engines) of the boats? Hm...

Test fitted on board, looks spot on.

And with the huge dime...

That's it for now, one or possibly two weeks break, I hope you are patient as always with my builds.

Thank you for looking and cheers,
Jan
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2019 - 10:01 AM UTC
Absolutely gorgeous work Jan!

I remember just how difficult 1/700 was, so hat's off to you my friend!

funnily enough, I too, just bought a new optivisor with an LED light in it, since my young bloke broke my desk lamp and lighting had become a problem

Hm, we do have to wonder just how much the "Chinese" do know about us. I heard rumours there was even an unrelated security "scandal" involving Huawei!
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2019 - 05:26 AM UTC
Hi Jan,

Very nice optivisor, I could likely do with something like that.

Great work with then tiny etch mate, the Rhib looks great in it's bay.

Cheers

Si
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,298 posts
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2019 - 09:12 AM UTC
Jan,

As before your PE work is great, nice to see you made progress. Look forward to your next post.

Mark
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,212 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 04, 2019 - 10:16 PM UTC
Beautiful work Jan especially in the Madness Scale.....Cheers mark
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Tuesday, August 06, 2019 - 07:33 AM UTC
Gentlemen,

thank you so much for your kind comments and even more for your interest in this ship / build log! Thats really appreciated, I hope you'll help me to overcome the challenges sure to come up with this tiny model.

But I managed a little progress - just a little bit at a time, I spent an hour with the optivisors today resulting in some headache, I should not do more than half an hour or so at a time...

But here's the results from the last days:

All four BUSTER boats.

The 5"/64 main gun from Leonardo (before Oto Melara):

Test fitted on board

And together with the other finished parts. The gun and the barrel have very nice details, really fun to work with!

Then the 27mm MLG (Marine Leichtgeschuetz - Naval Lightweight Gun, this is basically the nose gun of the TORNADO aircraft navalized). Now it gets really tiny...

Again, very nice and crisp detail that I can only see with magnifier glasses on.

And the first of five HMG - referred to as Heavy Machine Gun, which is not really correct, since they are LEONARDO weapons named "Hitrole Machine Guns", and we added what we call a Virola that allows to tilt the guns over the side as to minimize the "dead zone" around the ship and enable engagements almost directly next to the ship. The guns are .50 cal heavy machine guns, fully automated and remote controlled.

Somehow I managed to bend the "barrel" a little during installation, I'll try and fix that. I just saw it on the pictures. And, only four more to do...

This kit continues to be fun, the PE is excellent and easy to handle, the resin parts fir excellent. If it only was a little bigger, like 1/350...

Cheers,
Jan
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 06, 2019 - 08:43 AM UTC
Jan,

Sweet, very nice work with all of those tiny parts.

Mark
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, August 07, 2019 - 09:07 AM UTC
Jan! OMG! Everything is SOOO tiny!

But you've handled it all with skill and dexterity, my friend, and she's coming along very nicely indeed!
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
Model Shipwrights: 249 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 07, 2019 - 07:55 PM UTC
Fantastic progress! Tiny details!

Gaz
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 08, 2019 - 05:21 AM UTC
What the guys said!

even with an optivisor I would struggle with those tiny details.

Great work Jan.

Cheers

Si
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2019 - 08:00 PM UTC
Gentlemen,

thank you very much for following along and for all your kind comments! That's really encouraging - and yes, it is struggling with those small parts, and optivisor allows me only rather limited bench time at a piece without getting a headache. But still the model is great and fun to build!

Ok, here's the latest progress:

All five HMG .50 cal machine guns done. One a little shorter than the others - the one sitting above the flight deck does not have a tilting mechanism. I just sanded one of the parts a little down...

And the two 20' containers, I choose the PE parts. Very fine detail, and I like them better than the resin alternatives offered in the kit.
Those containers can be used basically for anything you can put in a 20' container that you can think of - right now they serve as deep freeze storage for or food supply, since the original deep freeze storage of the ship is not ready for use yet.

That's it for today, real life is taking over again for the next weeks, so I have to apologize for another pause here...

Thanks for looking in,

Cheers

Jan
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2019 - 06:35 PM UTC
Jan, this is nano-engineering at it's best mate!

Still can't believe how tiny this stuff is as it deceives the eye with it's accuracy!
Black_sheep
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 823 posts
Model Shipwrights: 551 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2019 - 06:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Those containers can be used basically for anything you can put in a 20' container that you can think of - right now they serve as deep freeze storage for or food supply, since the original deep freeze storage of the ship is not ready for use yet.

Now the enemy will know where to fire first - containers lost; crew is starving
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2019 - 11:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Napoleon said that an army marches on its stomach, do sailors sail on their stomachs?

Mark
Black_sheep
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 823 posts
Model Shipwrights: 551 posts
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2019 - 03:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Napoleon said that an army marches on its stomach, do sailors sail on their stomachs?

Mark

I think so Mark - an old german speech from an unknown soldier but known by everyone inside the german armed forces is called "ohne Mampf kein Kampf; ohne Verpflegung keine Bewegung". That means roughly "without meal no fighting; without provisions no movement.

Cheers
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,212 posts
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2019 - 09:36 PM UTC
Don't you just love Braille Scale. Beautiful work so far my Friend.....Cheers mark
Choowy
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 125 posts
Model Shipwrights: 125 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 28, 2019 - 09:36 PM UTC
Wow Jan that scale is very challenging, congrats on the work so far. Nice to be able to use your working knowledge of the ship too.
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Thursday, August 29, 2019 - 05:40 PM UTC
Dear all,

thank you very much for your kind comments!
This kit - apart from the subject, that is very dear to me - is really fun to build, so nicely done and the fitting so far just absolutely excellent. However, the scale makes my eyes watering...

I have to ask for some more patience, another weekend with real life business ahead of me...

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hey Thomas, nice point...and everybody nows in Germany, "ohne Mampf kein Kampf" - however, if somebody would try to shoot our deep freeze food containers, that would be a case for police prosecution, not for war fighting. We're still far from commissioning, so we are (by law) counting as a civilian ship for the time being, not as warship. Completely normal procedure for pre-commissioned warships. And we won't be commissioned with deep freeze containers on the upper deck .
Actually, my goal is to commission the 1:700 before the 1:1 - I hope I can manage... (which not means to postpone the commissioning of the 1:1, but rather be a little faster on my model ship yard this time...)

Cheers

Jan
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Thursday, August 29, 2019 - 06:08 PM UTC
Jan,
Nice to see some updates. Fine work on those tiny parts.
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2019 - 06:20 AM UTC
Wow, six weeks since my last update...

Thank you all for commenting and still looking in!

I have a very small update, but been pretty busy with real life over the last weeks, and that's going to continue for a bit.

But here are some pictures:

some minor parts on the foc'sle installed and the 'roof' of the pilot house, which is a resin part (and the first part that needed some sanding and corrections to fit).

And I tried to find colors. Within the blue circle, to the left is original ship color from an older frigate, on comparison on board the F225 is slightly more blueish. So I mixed the color on the right, which I think is pretty close to the original.

I darkened the light grey (RAL 7000) down with some black as non-skid deck color, but spraying it, it seems to dark on the model. So I will lighten it a bit.
Spraying the model is basically to give it a base and to reach all corners and hidden places. It will get a second coat, with masking and all that, and I'll install some of the small stuff. Most of the details I will paint on it's own and install after painting, but I have to see how exactly that will work out during the process.

So the next two weeks break, but I should get one more - hopefully more substantial - update this month...

Cheers and thanks for looking

Jan
ChurchSTSV
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 350 posts
Model Shipwrights: 175 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2019 - 06:39 AM UTC
Jan,

She is looking great! Thanks for keeping this thread updated! Its an inspiration!
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2019 - 08:23 AM UTC
Glad to see progress!
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2019 - 09:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jan,

She is looking great! Thanks for keeping this thread updated! Its an inspiration!

DITTO!

Mark
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2019 - 03:24 AM UTC
Gentlemen,

thank you for your kind comments!

Well, progress is slow, but there is progress - and I'm not frustrated with the kit, despite it's small scale. It's just that im really busy with real life things these days. I should get some bench time over the last weekend in October...

Cheers
Jan
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2019 - 05:24 AM UTC
Nice progress Jan,

nice to see some paint going on.

Cheers

Si