New Content
Announcements on new content additions to the site.
Ship JEOPARDY trivia
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 09:22 PM UTC
Wow, Tom, that's a great answer, BUT. . .
Not what I'm looking for!
This is killin' me, take a look HERE, first paragraph, mates.
I never imagined this one would go so long!
~Cheers!
Gunny
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 11:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

BTW, John S McCail Jr's SON has also gone on to become a bit famous in his own right. John S McCain III is one of the Senators from Arizona.

He was also an A-4 pilot on the Forrestal(?) and the Oriskany(?), both of which had devestating accidents with live ordinance on the flight deck. As a matter of fact, in the famous clip of the Forrestal's mishap, McCain is the pilot jumping off the A-4.

And yes Gunny, I know that this has nothing to do with who was the skipper of the Lionfish. :-) :-)

Gator
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 1,610 posts
Model Shipwrights: 566 posts
Posted: Monday, September 18, 2006 - 12:45 AM UTC
Talk about close but no cigar :-) :-) :-)

Pretty amazing similarities!!! (Nice job Kenny!!!!)

Tom
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 18, 2006 - 05:08 PM UTC
OK mates. . .
Since that one stumped ya' (which I thought would have never!), here's one with a bit more substance.

"Name me class of vessel that was touted as the largest submarine class in the world, at Sasebo Navy Yard, 1943."

No bonus this time!
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 981 posts
Posted: Monday, September 18, 2006 - 06:37 PM UTC
While Japan built many submarines that were larger than those of other Navies, the three Sen Toku boats were far larger than anything ever seen before. Some 60% larger than the largest contemporary American submarine, USS Argonaut, they had more than twice her range. The most unusual feature was that they each carried three floatplane bombers (and parts for a fourth), a feat never achieved by any other class of submarine. These aircraft folded to fit into the 115-foot cylindrical hangar, which was slightly offset to starboard and opened forward to access the catapult. The huge double hull was formed of parallel cylindrical hulls so that it had a peculiar lazy-eight cross section, and may have inspired the Soviet Typhoon-class built some 40 years later. Although aircraft must be considered their primary armament, they also carried a formidable torpedo battery and the usual 14cm deck gun. Anti-aircraft armament included ten 25mm cannons in three triple mounts and one single. Each of these boats had radar and a snorkel.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 18, 2006 - 07:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

While Japan built many submarines that were larger than those of other Navies, the three Sen Toku boats were far larger than anything ever seen before. Some 60% larger than the largest contemporary American submarine, USS Argonaut, they had more than twice her range. The most unusual feature was that they each carried three floatplane bombers (and parts for a fourth), a feat never achieved by any other class of submarine. These aircraft folded to fit into the 115-foot cylindrical hangar, which was slightly offset to starboard and opened forward to access the catapult. The huge double hull was formed of parallel cylindrical hulls so that it had a peculiar lazy-eight cross section, and may have inspired the Soviet Typhoon-class built some 40 years later. Although aircraft must be considered their primary armament, they also carried a formidable torpedo battery and the usual 14cm deck gun. Anti-aircraft armament included ten 25mm cannons in three triple mounts and one single. Each of these boats had radar and a snorkel.

Bingo, Dave!
(close enough!)
That didn't take long!

The full answer that I was looking for was "1943:
Sasebo Navy Yard. The Sen-Toku class I-401 is laid down as the largest submarine class in the world. "

OK Mr. O'Meara, you're up!
~Gunny
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Monday, September 18, 2006 - 09:08 PM UTC
Hey, don't forget to give Kenny credit for the last question. His little quip about the USS Lionfish (commanded by Ray Spruance's son) shows he actually got that one as well.

Go Gator!!

Tom
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Monday, September 18, 2006 - 10:17 PM UTC
No worries Tom. I was just sharing info on John McCain. Like my wife says, I'm just a fount of usless knowledge. Dave's up to bat.

Gator
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 981 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 07:48 AM UTC
I will yield the next question to Kenny.

Not because I'm nice, but brain dead right now. :-) :-)
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 12:32 AM UTC
Ok Dave. Let me look for one.

Kenny
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 04:43 AM UTC
Ok guys. Ya'll are pretty good at surface combatants, but how about merchant men?

How long did it take to build the SS Robert E. Peary from the time the keel was laid?

:-) (myevil gator laugh)
Gator
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 05:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ok guys. Ya'll are pretty good at surface combatants, but how about merchant men?

How long did it take to build the SS Robert E. Peary from the time the keel was laid?

:-) (myevil gator laugh)
Gator

OK Gator, here goes. . .

"The Liberty Ship Robert E. Perry was assembled in less than five days as a part of a special competition among shipyards"

Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 05:57 AM UTC
Hmmmm, Gunny you are correct, in a general answer way. :-) (evil gator laugh again)

The Peary was launched just 4 days and 15 hours and 29 minutes by one of Henry Kaiser's shipyards. He did the publicity stunts with the shipyards his son and son's best friend ran. They became quite good at it.

Over to you Mr. Smith, if that is your real name.

Gator
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 02:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hmmmm, Gunny you are correct, in a general answer way. :-) (evil gator laugh again)

The Peary was launched just 4 days and 15 hours and 29 minutes by one of Henry Kaiser's shipyards. He did the publicity stunts with the shipyards his son and son's best friend ran. They became quite good at it.

Over to you Mr. Smith, if that is your real name.

Gator

Well, well!
I had a feeling that I was close!
(And for the record, Jones is my last name! )
OK, lets see. . .

Something a bit different this time, but yet still pertinent to our interest,

CA 16th century, What is the large building in a shipyard called, where the plans of a ship can be drawn out full size on the floor by the master shipwright?"

Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 08:02 PM UTC
Oo oo, I know! Mr. Gunny, the answer would be Heaven! Man, a workshop that big, oh boy.

Gator
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 08:12 PM UTC
Shame on me if I didn't get this one. (My grandfather spent 20 years working at the Norfolk Naval Shipyard, and my father-in-law spent 43 years working across the river at the Newport News Shipbuilding and Drydock Company.)

How 'bout:

MOLD LOFT
The large enclosed floor where the lines of a vessel are laid out and the molds or templates made.

Tom
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 08:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Shame on me if I didn't get this one. (My grandfather spent 20 years working at the Norfolk Naval Shipyard, and my father-in-law spent 43 years working across the river at the Newport News Shipbuilding and Drydock Company.)

How 'bout:

MOLD LOFT
The large enclosed floor where the lines of a vessel are laid out and the molds or templates made.

Tom

BINGO, Tom!!!
Great job, mate!!
You're up to bat, my friend!!!
~Gunny
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Friday, September 22, 2006 - 02:08 AM UTC
OK, since everyone has been so sharp, I'm going to have to be a bit creative. Let's try this one:

Sometime back in the18th Century most of the sailors in the Royal Navy didn't really have "uniforms" in the truest sense of the word. The Captain of one of His Majesty's Ships didn't like the way the men who rowed his gig ashore looked and decided to outfit them identically, in a way that made them look very professional.

He was SO successful, that one of the articles of clothing he came up with has come into the lexicon and is still used today to describe this item.

The item carries the same name as the ship. What item/ship is that?

(If you guys need a hint, I'll describe the item, but that almost gives it away!!!)

Tom
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Monday, September 25, 2006 - 02:14 AM UTC
Wow, tougher than I thought! OK here's a hint.

The article is a jacket, and usually it's dark blue with brass buttons both on the front as well as the sleeves. Many times it will be adorned with a distinctive emblem or patch on the front over the pocket.

(There's some "dispute" over the precise origin, but I got this one from "Naval History" Magazine, so I'm buying it)

Tom
Cob
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 275 posts
Model Shipwrights: 64 posts
Posted: Monday, September 25, 2006 - 02:26 AM UTC
Is it blazer ?
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Monday, September 25, 2006 - 05:21 AM UTC
I think it is the Harlequin.

Gator
BM2
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,361 posts
Model Shipwrights: 153 posts
Posted: Monday, September 25, 2006 - 06:59 PM UTC
I'll goo with COB - Blazer - although no enlisted man would be seen in one - we prefer our Peacoats and foul weather jackets! #:-)
BM2
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,361 posts
Model Shipwrights: 153 posts
Posted: Monday, September 25, 2006 - 07:02 PM UTC
Here's an easy one - when doing crane ops - what color hard hat does the poic ( petty officer in charge ) wear? {I am looking at one right now in my shop)
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 04:14 AM UTC
Rob's got it! Although there is some question whether this IS the real derivation, Naval History magazine said so and that's good enough for me.

This is what Wikipedia has to say:

The name may come from that of HMS Blazer, a frigate from the days when ratings supplied their own rigs or the captain did it for them if he wanted uniform dress. Blazer's captain, when faced with an inspection of his ship by Queen Victoria, decided to rig his boats' crews in short double breasted jackets in navy blue serge, with brass Royal Navy buttons on the model of the reefer worn by the midshipmen of his day. It seems that the Queen was duly impressed by the uniform and it became the style.

OK who's next?

Tom
Cob
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 275 posts
Model Shipwrights: 64 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 12:58 AM UTC
I guess I'll take it.

At least one American Naval Officer lost at least two ships during his career?
What is his name? Which ships? Which conflict(s)?

v/r,
Cob