_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Want to be part of a group build? This is where to start, plan, and meet about them.
Official Ironclads Campaign
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 10:40 PM UTC
Ahoy mates,
We've got yet ANOTHER fantastic MSW Campaign on the books, welcome to the "Ironclads" Campaign!

Please use this thread for all further discussions, reports, etc. on the campaign so we all can stay tuned in with each others respective builds...let's get ready to roll!

AND, don't forget, there's lots of room for more entrants, so click on the link below and join us!

JOIN HERE!

Cheers
~Gunny
HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 3,098 posts
Model Shipwrights: 131 posts
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2010 - 02:35 AM UTC
I just want to say "THANK YOU" to all of you that have helped me out and for all that have enlisted in this campaign.

I spend most of my time on Armorama but I thought this would be a fun campaign. This is my first time hosting a campaign so I will do my best. Thanks again for everyone that has been helping me.

We have plenty of time to pick out projects and hopefully get some more people interested and enlisted.

Thanks again everyone.

HARV
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2010 - 06:09 AM UTC
Wouldn't you just know it. When this campaign was proposed I remembered a resin kit of USS Monitor that has been collecting dust at one of the LHS. I figured I'd pick it up at 50% off and build it. Naturally when I went to look for it it had been sold. It never fails.

Another LHS has a 1/350 Japanese ironclad transport ship in stock. If it's not gone when I'm up there next I may pick it up.

JimMrr
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
Model Shipwrights: 409 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 05:11 AM UTC
well, I forked out the dough for my Keokuk this morning ...Im committed now. Well, at least I SHOULD be committed ..lol
peterf
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 426 posts
Model Shipwrights: 424 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 08:13 PM UTC
Thank you for setting this one up, Harv, and looking at my Ironclads book, and crossreferrencing it with the stash of "want to do!" kits, I see that the Combrig Vergiraud French BB comes to the top. Yep! that's a GO!

Peter F
HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2010 - 03:16 PM UTC
Hi everyone,

I am glad to see the interest in this campaign. I am glad that everyone likes the idea. I see we have enlisted a few more.

Thanks again for the kind words and for the interest.

HARV
JimMrr
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, March 07, 2010 - 01:44 AM UTC
Well, I recieved my USS Keokuk in the mail yesterday....man, I LOVE all those rivets...
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Monday, March 08, 2010 - 07:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, I recieved my USS Keokuk in the mail yesterday....man, I LOVE all those rivets...

Yeah, Jim, but now you will have to weather EVERY one of them!

--Karl
JimMrr
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, March 15, 2010 - 01:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yeah, Jim, but now you will have to weather EVERY one of them!

--Karl

even better!!!!
grayghost666
KitMaker: 2,458 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,423 posts
Posted: Monday, March 15, 2010 - 12:27 PM UTC
Hello All,
I am looking at a steam paddle wheel/sailing ship. I think I will put iron sheets attached to the wooden hull as they did at the start of the ironclad age.
What do any of you think about that as a build. I have been reading about the HMS Warrior that was a sail ship with iron added to the wooden hull along with a screw prop.
Or I might just buy an ironclad from Flag Ship Models.
Cheers,
Bruce
Tailor
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,168 posts
Model Shipwrights: 676 posts
Posted: Monday, March 15, 2010 - 07:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello All,
I am looking at a steam paddle wheel/sailing ship. I think I will put iron sheets attached to the wooden hull as they did at the start of the ironclad age.
What do any of you think about that as a build. I have been reading about the HMS Warrior that was a sail ship with iron added to the wooden hull along with a screw prop.

Sounds good to me! Do you have a rough idea, what subject? There should be a number of contemporary paitings to float your idea.

Quoted Text

Cheers,
Bruce

That shoould be Plan B.

I'll plan on doing a full sctrach build of a really esoteric subject, too. If it'll not work out, I'll build a Kombrig Dunderberg.

Cheers,
Guido
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 16, 2010 - 07:14 AM UTC
Hey Guido, there's always the USS Roanoke--they took a fine screw frigate, removed the masts and upper deck, covered her with iron, and placed two turrets on top of that. The result was a badly over-strained wooden hull with marginal stability.

--Karl
grayghost666
KitMaker: 2,458 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,423 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 16, 2010 - 10:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hello All,

Sounds good to me! Do you have a rough idea, what subject? There should be a number of contemporary paitings to float your idea.

Quoted Text

Cheers,
Bruce

That shoould be Plan B.

I'll plan on doing a full scratch build of a really esoteric subject, too. If it'll not work out, I'll build a Cambric Lundberg.

Cheers,
Guido

Hello Guido,
I have been looking at the recent news of aoshima about the 1/150 Kurofune and converting it to a civil war ship(US).
I have the styrene sheets to make the iron armor. Just thinking out loud
thanks for your input.
Cheers,
Bruce
HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 - 12:39 AM UTC
Hi everyone,

I am glad to see that there is so much interest in this campaign. I am glad that you are all excited about your builds. I hope that everyone can hold out until November!!

I figured November would be a good time as most of the other campaigns out there should be winding down and this will also give everyone a chance to research and decide what to build.

I am looking forward to see everyone's projects. Please feel free to post pictures of your intended builds if you like.

HARV
silent-one
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 86 posts
Model Shipwrights: 70 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 01, 2010 - 09:50 PM UTC
anyone got a recommendation for a resin ironclad suitable for someone new to resin. I dont want to have to rebuild the whole ship a la Jim Bowman just to get an accurate model. Any ideas?
Tailor
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 01, 2010 - 11:12 PM UTC
You know, JB will always find one or the other reason to chop up his model kits before putting them back together.
It all depends on what you would define as accurate. In the ironclad campaign we are fortunate to be building staff that is really old and little reference can be found. So even the worst rivet counter will have a hard time arguing about the fine detial of your model. If you keep to the general lines of your ship, you'll be fine.

There are a handful of good kits out there. Here is a choice:

http://www.steelnavy.com/ReviewsACW.htm

Guido
silent-one
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 86 posts
Model Shipwrights: 70 posts
Posted: Friday, April 02, 2010 - 02:14 PM UTC
thanks really appreciate that
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Model Shipwrights: 453 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 03, 2010 - 07:34 AM UTC
Howdy All,

Wow...can't tell you how nice it is to actually see an 'Ironclad' build thread here on Armorama Having a decent amount of experience researching and building one of these rather unique ships it's quite heartwarming to see an increased interest in the subject......darn good to see!

And Guido, many thanks for that last link, great stuff there mate. As was suspected, the internet would only become a much more usable, and full source of information as time has gone by......again, darn good to see!

I had scratchbuilt a 1/96th museum scale {that's over 4 Feet long} version of the Civil War vessel the U.S.S. Choctaw {not unsurprisingly in your kindly provided link}, a converted paddle side-wheeler that did not attain the same level of attention or fame as the Monitor/Virginia or even the 'Richmond' class vessels of the time....

Anyways, your community build sounds quite exciting and I obviously wish you and the participants well and look forward with anticipation to see any and all progress pictures.

It's good to see members getting behind this Build

Semper Fi!

Tread.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Model Shipwrights: 453 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 03, 2010 - 07:38 AM UTC

HEY!!........I guess I still remember how to post pics from the KitMaker gallery....sheesh, who'd thought!

If you look in the background of the lower photo you can see a large glass patio table in the photo. This should give you a rough idea of just precisely how LARGE this mutha was!

Just thought I'd post a couple of pics of my efforts on the U.S.S. Choctaw early on in the build...sadly, a couple of the few I took of my efforts before the project was 'lost'.................

Semper Fi!

Tread.
HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
Posted: Friday, April 09, 2010 - 01:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow...can't tell you how nice it is to actually see an 'Ironclad' build thread here on Armorama Having a decent amount of experience researching and building one of these rather unique ships it's quite heartwarming to see an increased interest in the subject......darn good to see!

You just as well enlist and take part Gordon, would glad to have you on board!!

Your scratchbuild looks like a very involved project. Wouldn't you like to buld another one??

Thank you,

HARV
RedDuster
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 21, 2010 - 10:11 PM UTC
I fancy a go at this one as well, The Combrig 1/350 Cerberus should be arround shortly I hear, or I might have a bash at scratchbuildling something RN from the 1870's-80s.

Still thinking about ti

Si
HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 22, 2010 - 01:15 AM UTC
Glad to have you with us Simon.

There is plenty of time to decide on a build or builds. I have an old book from the 1940s that has plans in it to build both the Monitor and Merrimac from scratch. I might give that a try as well depending on what I have going on with other campaigns.

Anyway welcome aboard and thank you for enlisting.

HARV
RedDuster
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 22, 2010 - 09:51 PM UTC
Thanks Harv,

On the scratchbuild front, am thinking maybe of HMS Devestaion, from 1872, the Royal Navy's 1st ocean going mastless turret ship 1/350th scale, waterline.

I have some reasonable info (Ballard's Black Battlefleet, D.K. Brown's Warrior to Dreadnought) on her, relativley simple hull shape with no nasty compound curves.

Will keep you posted of plans / build as it happens.

Si
Tailor
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 22, 2010 - 10:22 PM UTC
HMS Devastation is a great choice, Simon!
I was pondering building her after the Burt plans for some time. Now that you have chosen to build her I'd rather chose something else.
I have a German Rhein Class river monitor in my mind, scale would be 1/350 or 1/192.
But then there are almost eight months until the start of the campaign: That's a long time to change ones mind!
Cheers,
Guido

HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
Posted: Friday, May 07, 2010 - 02:24 AM UTC
Sounds like everyone is coming up with some cool ideas. I am glad to see the interest. You are more ambitious than I am. I don't have the skills, or patience, to tackle a completely scratchbuillt project.

I am looking forward to the start of the campaign. I put it off until later this year due to members other campaign obligations. Do you think that the start date is too far off? Please feel free to let me know.

Thanks again for the interest everyone. Hopefully we will get some more people to enlist.

HARV

PS. Would anyone be interested in having a banner for this campaign?
 _GOTOTOP