General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Italeri 1/35 Vosper MTB
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Friday, November 18, 2011 - 07:06 PM UTC
Hi Al,

Thanks for the heads up, I can't say on the detail but it looks good to me. . Release by the end of the month.

Another RN Sailor in the making.

Alan

Italeri Vosper Live links
gambusia
Visit this Community
Viseu, Portugal
KitMaker: 51 posts
Model Shipwrights: 50 posts
Posted: Friday, November 18, 2011 - 07:24 PM UTC
Hmmmm.Looks as though (in these shots) the flag locker has been moulded solid. Mind you at this Titanic scale scratchbuilding one, assuming that it is so and that WM or GM or someone don't instantly come out with one with all the slots open.
It's nice that it's an early one, with the windows as yet uncovered as they were later. No doubt someone will also come out with an Oerlikon for the bow...and maybe a twin as an option for the gun tub.
I'd really like one but at £83 (WEM) which equates to 97€ It's off the playing field, sadly. (Doing a Christmas Market today, maybe the small gods of painting sales wuill smile on me and I'll sell a few....
F
badwolf
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 79 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2011 - 04:39 AM UTC
Looks like i will be writing a letter to Santa for this one now, been waiting over a year for it, and now can't afford it
but it would look good next to my r/c S-boot
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2011 - 09:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hmmmm.Looks as though (in these shots) the flag locker has been moulded solid. Mind you at this Titanic scale scratchbuilding one, assuming that it is so and that WM or GM or someone don't instantly come out with one with all the slots open.
It's nice that it's an early one, with the windows as yet uncovered as they were later. No doubt someone will also come out with an Oerlikon for the bow...and maybe a twin as an option for the gun tub.
I'd really like one but at £83 (WEM) which equates to 97€ It's off the playing field, sadly. (Doing a Christmas Market today, maybe the small gods of painting sales wuill smile on me and I'll sell a few....
F

Hi Fraser,

I haven't seen any PE upgrades foor the MAS Boat and it's been out for some time so whether or not something will arrive for the Vosper is debateable.

Time will tell I suppose.

Keith isn't that life.

Al
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,244 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 26, 2011 - 03:01 AM UTC
Well, I bit the bullet and ordered the Vosper from Lucky Model. I just hope it comes faster than the MAS did. I pre-ordered that one last December and it didn't arrive until the following March. They actually shipped the crew before they shipped the boat! Al
gambusia
Visit this Community
Viseu, Portugal
Posted: Saturday, November 26, 2011 - 04:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, I bit the bullet and ordered the Vosper from Lucky Model. I just hope it comes faster than the MAS did. I pre-ordered that one last December and it didn't arrive until the following March. They actually shipped the crew before they shipped the boat! Al

Something slightly adrift with their shipping priorities there...
F
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 26, 2011 - 04:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Something slightly adrift with their shipping priorities there...
F

I'm not sure if it was their fault or if the demand just outstripped Italeri's ability to supply. It seemed at the time that the European distributors had gotten priority. In the long run it only just prolonged my anticipation, and then Christmas came in March! Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 01:47 AM UTC
Hi folks,

More pictuers of the boat, decals and kit parts over on the Italeri site.

Italeri Vosper

Al
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 03:07 AM UTC
Am I the only person rather underwhelmed here? I was hoping for an up scaled Airfix version Vosper with nice big 20mm bandstand on the fore deck and what appears hasn't much of anything on deck except two torpedoes and a forest of vents, (yeah, okay, a twin dustbin gun mount). I estimate it will sell for round the 90 Euro's. So,........................................................................
Julian
gambusia
Visit this Community
Viseu, Portugal
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 03:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Am I the only person rather underwhelmed here? I was hoping for an up scaled Airfix version Vosper with nice big 20mm bandstand on the fore deck and what appears hasn't much of anything on deck except two torpedoes and a forest of vents, (yeah, okay, a twin dustbin gun mount). I estimate it will sell for round the 90 Euro's. So,........................................................................
Julian

£89 on pre-order from WEM. Yes, Oerlikons would have been a much cooler fit. A bandstand is scratch-able and I imagine some enterprising Resin co. will do the rest...at a price.
gambusia
Visit this Community
Viseu, Portugal
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 03:48 AM UTC
Ummm, just noticed they're calling it a 73'6" boat. The early boats, like 77 were 70 footers. Hope that's a typo. The later Type 1s were 73'
F
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 04:24 AM UTC
Heck, anything is scratchable
That''s not really the point though, adding a selection of after market goodies will double the price Good for the AM vendors but suck's for the OOB brigade.
Just my 2 (Euro) cents.
Julian
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 04:39 AM UTC
The early boats do seem to be woefully under-gunned. Did any of the type of boat depicted in the kit eventually mount a 20mm gun on the foredeck? I have seen photos of boats with additional Lewis guns mounted forward, much like the early 77' Elco boats of the USN. Was this practice standardized for every boat, or up to the individual crew? Al
gambusia
Visit this Community
Viseu, Portugal
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 05:01 AM UTC
The early boats were indeed under gunned. Oerlikons were in short supply and the Admiralty, being big ship people for the main, prioritised larger vessels. Robert Hitchens fought tooth and nail to get oerlikons for his boats and eventually succeeded . Eventually they got British Power Boats MGBs which had a serious 40mm gun on the bow. These were very handsome boats but I'll bet we never see a kit of one, apart from the 1/24th scale RC offerings already available.
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 06:05 AM UTC
Thanks Fraser, for the reply and the info. It has never failed to amaze me how often men were asked to go into harm's way without the proper equipment, or weapons, to do the job. Al
gambusia
Visit this Community
Viseu, Portugal
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 08:03 AM UTC
Get a copy of Robert Hitchens Biography - "Gunboat Command" . It's a real eye-opener.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 09:48 AM UTC
Hi folks,

I'm just delighted they produced a British MTB, which is something that wsn't available before so no complaints there. I never thought I'd see one in 1/35 scale Vosper or otherwise.

Al
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 09:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi folks,

I'm just delighted they produced a British MTB, which is something that wsn't available before so no complaints there. I never thought I'd see one in 1/35 scale Vosper or otherwise.

Al

TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 10:22 AM UTC
You are right Alan. It has been a long time in coming, but worth the wait. I have always been intrigued by the "wooden wonders". This goes back to Revell's box scale Higgins PT-212, and later the 1/72 PT-109, Vosper and the "McHales Navy" PT-73, and their various reincarnations. I remember way back when, my anticipation at Lindberg announcing a 1/32nd scale PT boat, and my subsequent disappointment upon opening the box. Italeri has certainly made the last few years great for fans of torpedo boats. Who would have believed it. I'm still holding out hope for a Higgins 78' PT. Al
gambusia
Visit this Community
Viseu, Portugal
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 09:14 PM UTC
Amen to that! There has been a real bonanza of kits I never thought we'd see - Warspite and Dreadnought f'rinstance. I'll have to admit that I was totally amazed when Italeri announced the Vosper. It'll be quite a while before I have any spare cash, though - the money pit, AKA 'the car' needs a new battery AND a new clutch, bugger! Winter always shows up problems in cars and plumbing!
F
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 12:30 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

At home with a heavy cold at the moment, I hate air conditioning!. In truth I was amazed when they did the LCVP in 1/35 scale, then the LCM 3. The follow on with a selection of MTBs was also pretty amazing. Then ECHO Boat and S Boat and I thoguh that's it folks, that 'syou lot, but low and behold the MAS Boat and then the Vosper. Brillient.

Al I agree, if they did a Hggins MTB it would most probably out sell the ELCO as it is such a cool craft. I'd love to see a Type II Vosper as well but that's probably just a dream.

On the other hand there are still a lot of smaller craft they could do, the LCP (L)and the LCP (R) and a new LCA would be terrific. Italieri have always done their own thing rather than follow any particular trend and they pretty much have the 1/35 scale boat market to themselves so who kows what the future may hold.

Cough, cough, spluttter, splutter time for another pill.

Cheers

Al
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 03:45 AM UTC
Hello Alan, I sure hope you are feeling better soon. There are a lot of possible subjects I would like to see in 1/35. The Vietnam-era PCF Swift boat comes to mind. Or how about the Vietnamese RAG boat, like the one Monogram offered in 1/48. Seeing as Italeri and Bronco did several German midget submarines I was hoping one or the other might also do a 1/35 British X-craft. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Al
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Model Shipwrights: 204 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 04:41 AM UTC
O.K. Italeri, so far so very good. Now lets see you go all the way, an L.C.I.(R) would really top it all off. Not much bigger and probably not too hard to do, alot of flat sided compartments except the gun tubs. Less tooling than the E-boat and you would deffinatly sell two of them to me for beginers, and I'd bet the cost of the kit that Alan would p/u one too .
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 05:33 AM UTC
Hi Bob and Al,

There is alwasy the LCT Mk 5 which was fairly small by LCT standards.

http://www.6juin1944.com/assaut/amphib.php?id=4

Enough I'm starting to droolllllllll

Al
gambusia
Visit this Community
Viseu, Portugal
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 05:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I was hoping one or the other might also do a 1/35 British X-craft. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Al

MiG or someone do a Soviet Mtb in Resin - £££££. An injection mould of that would be cool, and the hull is quite close to the old CMBs of Zeebrugge fame....
F