General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Italeri 1/35 Vosper MTB
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Model Shipwrights: 204 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 06:56 AM UTC
MasterBox is working on a Russian M.T.B. that can build into a few diff. versons. Torpedo, depth charge, troop carrier. To come with a partial engine for the forward engine compartment and crew, styrene/ 1/35th. Hey Alan, drool my friend drool. The L.C.T. is nice but the resin ones are real high dollar/pound! Still though, I would love to see Italari come out with a L.S.I.(R), the conversions would be fantastic too. I have the 3 L.C.'s from various manufactures for future builds and really hope to be able to p/u the U.S. PT boat this year. At least we can hope, dream and hope, did I mention dream. If they don't, it's scratch build time. Blue prints are available and you can buy the hull with topside plans. What a project, better clear off the bench.
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 07:27 AM UTC
Hey Alan, nice link with some L.C. I never knew even existed, alot of food for thought. As a matter of fact, you might have scuttled my plans with L.C. Overload . Really though a good site, marked it down for future refferance, thanks.
O.K. Al, enough info to drive me and you nuts? Nah, didn't think so.
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,244 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 08:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I was hoping one or the other might also do a 1/35 British X-craft. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Al

MiG or someone do a Soviet Mtb in Resin - £££££. An injection mould of that would be cool, and the hull is quite close to the old CMBs of Zeebrugge fame....
F

Hello Fraser, Mig did produce a 1/35 Russian Gunboat in resin, which was very expensive (and very heavy). He also released a half-sunken version. Like Bob mentioned, Masterbox is supposed to release several different versions of the type of Russian MTB I think you are referring to, in plastic. When I saw the CAD images I also thought they looked a lot like WW1 CMBs. It would be nice if they actually release the kit, so many promised releases never see the light of day. Al (P.S.) Accurate Armour had a resin X-craft which was also way beyond my budget.
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 08:38 AM UTC
Hi Bob,

Yes indeeed. I was sorely tempted by Dan Taylors range of 1/72 scale LCs but if I change scale now nothing will every get finished

http://modelshipwrights.kitmaker.net/forums/184383&page=1

I am hoping though that he brings out a range of 1/35 scale decals for the LCs somehting that's missing and stopping me form getting the LCs as complete as I can.

A well one can dream - maybe a 1/35 scale British destroyer

Al
gambusia
Visit this Community
Viseu, Portugal
KitMaker: 51 posts
Model Shipwrights: 50 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 09:01 AM UTC
[/quote]
MiG or someone do a Soviet Mtb in Resin - £££££. An injection mould of that would be cool, and the hull is quite close to the old CMBs of Zeebrugge fame....
F[/quote] It would be nice if they actually release the kit, so many promised releases never see the light of day. Al (P.S.) Accurate Armour had a resin X-craft which was also way beyond my budget.[/quote]

I'm not thrilled by resin, plastic, in terms of weight and durability is bad enough, but resin? Dunno. I looked at the X-craft a lot, but just couldn't justify the cost!
Fraser
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 07:52 AM UTC
Hello Fraser, I too am not a big fan of resin kits. They are more expensive, heavier, and more difficult to work with than plastic kits. Unfortunately, they are all too often the only game in town for certain subjects. It does seem that some manufacturers are becoming more willing to take a chance and release subjects that weren't considered marketable, or profitable. The current crop of 1/35 Naval subjects in particular came as welcome surprise. So I will continue to hope, and who knows what may happen, you just might even see a 1/35 Fairmile 'D'. Stranger things have happened. Al
gambusia
Visit this Community
Viseu, Portugal
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 08:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

you just might even see a 1/35 Fairmile 'D'. Stranger things have happened. Al

An HDML would be nice. My Father was going to buy one at the end of the war - special terms for serving Officers - and we would have lived on the Thames while he went back to university... We didn't. Shame really.
F
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 11:11 AM UTC
I had never heard of the Harbour Defence Motor Launch before. So I 'Googled' it (the internet is a wonder), and it is a very interesting looking craft. The article said they gave valuable service in many theatres, and not just for harbour defence, serving under many flags of the Commonwealth. It definitely would make a good subject for some enterprising manufacturer (hint, hint, Italeri). Al
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 09:25 PM UTC
Harbour Defence Motor launch would make a great Kit, but would really love to see a Dog Boat in 1/35th, (To be honest would take1/72nd, which talking to the guys from Coastal Craft, who releaved me a substantial amount of dosh for their 1/72nd resin vopser, are talking about several dogs in resin for 2012/13).

Si
gambusia
Visit this Community
Viseu, Portugal
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 09:51 PM UTC
Bearing in mind the importance of the Dog Boats, their absence is a huge hole in the range of coastal craft. While I'm at it, I would heartily recommend John Lambert's books on Allied Coastal forces.
F
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2011 - 04:00 AM UTC
The Harbour Defence Launch looks cool.

Al
gambusia
Visit this Community
Viseu, Portugal
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2011 - 04:24 AM UTC
I have a swt of John Lambert's plans for one, and a BpB MgB ...one day....
F
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 10:06 PM UTC
Yippee! Lucky Model shipped my Vosper yesterday. It looks like Christmas is coming early this year. Al
gambusia
Visit this Community
Viseu, Portugal
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 10:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yippee! Lucky Model shipped my Vosper yesterday. It looks like Christmas is coming early this year. Al

I hate you I, and I reckon everyone else, look forward to hearing your impressions of the beast!
F
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 10:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I hate you I, and I reckon everyone else, look forward to hearing your impressions of the beast!
F

I was so surprised when I saw that they said it was shipped, that I checked, and double checked! I still don't believe it! I had to wait several months past Christmas last year for the MAS to be shipped. I'll be sure to let you know what I think when I open the box. From what I've seen from photos I don't think I'll be too disappointed. Al
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 12:08 PM UTC
Hey Al, don't let the post office know whats coming or you might have to go postal on them. Remember what happened when I tried to send that 1/35th scale Japponese M.G. to Germany for another modeler, lol!
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 01:08 PM UTC
HI Bob, It's probably easier to ship plastic explosives through the mail than it is to ship plastic models! Al
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2011 - 02:39 AM UTC
It's out in the UK, modelzone at Holborn had a stack of them when I was in there yesterday. unfortunatly was on my way to pick my son up from school for Christmas Hols so no room for a big box in the car.

Si
beefy66
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 971 posts
Model Shipwrights: 645 posts
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2011 - 04:03 AM UTC
Hey Simon is that just an excuse until you figure out what to say to the wife
Or is there another cunning plan to sneak one past when she is not looking
Hope Santa is good to you this year we know you have been a good boy
All the best Keith
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2011 - 04:06 AM UTC
http://www.sockelshop.de/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=37588

Frank Brechmann has it in stock now.
Julian
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2011 - 06:06 AM UTC
You sussed me there Keith,

The box is a bit on the big side to sneak anywhere. This one will be have to brought in in a blaze of glory.

Hope santa is good to you too Keith, and everbody else here as well.

Si

Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2011 - 06:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

HI Bob, It's probably easier to ship plastic explosives through the mail than it is to ship plastic models! Al

You've got that right, I still remember when my 1/200th Arizona arrived when I was at work and mrs. Grem56 wasn't. I had some serious explaining to do there
Julian
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2011 - 09:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

You've got that right, I still remember when my 1/200th Arizona arrived when I was at work and mrs. Grem56 wasn't. I had some serious explaining to do there
Julian

You aint kidding. When I shiped it I had to fill out custom forms and it asked to state what it was. Being stupid about customs except at the Canadian/U.S. border crossing that I did every week driving T.T.,I put down ( 1/35th scale plastic model W.W.2 Japanese M.G.). She bluntly told me that I would have to produce a federal fire arms lic. and fill out more paper work. So I tried to explain what a 1/35th scale plastic model part was, but she wasn't having any of it. Well let me tell you that the pissing match was on with the woman at the P.O. I finally resolved it by unpacking it in front of her suppervisor and then repacking it under his atuned eyes to make sure I didn't put anything else in. I guess I was lucky it wasn't a 1/72nd scale 500 lb bomb. Of course you can figure my thoughts about government workers now adays, Aside from that, guys, I'm looking forward to these builds, got to love them shallow draft ships. And I hope santa and the miss's let them dock on your work tables.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2011 - 07:04 AM UTC
Hi Al,

Put up a few pics when it arrived. I'm sure I can hear the sound of the engines approaching .

Al
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2011 - 04:40 PM UTC
Hello Alan, Since this is supposed to be a Christmas present, I am trying to convince myself not to open it 'til then. I don't know if I have the internal fortitude to hold out until Christmas morn, but I'm going to try. I will be sure to let you know my first impressions, and hopefully post some photos of the kit, as soon as possible after it's opened. Al