General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Italeri 1/35 Vosper MTB
tomdekruijff
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 100 posts
Model Shipwrights: 99 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2012 - 07:15 AM UTC
Hi,
I,m detailing the wheelhouse a bit.
And there is a loudspeaker to the backwall,a "loudspeaker admiralty pattern M317",anybody know what that looks like?

The vickers turret is coming along nicely

I also orderd an oerlikon from CMK so the bow will not stay empty.

cheers, Tom
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2012 - 11:55 PM UTC
Hi Tom,

Nice work with the wheelhouse and Mk V turret. Can't help with the loudpeaker.

Cheers

Alan
TheModeller
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 127 posts
Model Shipwrights: 43 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2012 - 01:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi,
And there is a loudspeaker to the backwall,a "loudspeaker admiralty pattern M317",anybody know what that looks like?

Came across this link via Google, it has all the look of a typical wall/bulkhead mounted WWII loudspeaker, along with dimensions, I'm not sure if its exactly the right type but its what I'm using as a reference.

http://www.richardsradios.co.uk/admiralty.html

HTH.
tomdekruijff
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2012 - 02:46 AM UTC
Hi ,

Thank Les,just what i need.
And a bit of a warning if you start on the wheelhouse windows mine didn't fit (the ones with the spinning parts on them).
I had to cut out a flat surface at the bottom sil and the window it's self is to narrow.Hope that it's a one off.

So here is my go at the speaker

cheers, Tom
gambusia
Visit this Community
Viseu, Portugal
KitMaker: 51 posts
Model Shipwrights: 50 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2012 - 04:49 AM UTC
Nicely done!
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2012 - 05:04 AM UTC
Hi Tom,

Nice work, what did you use for the speaker wire grill?

Cheers

Al
tomdekruijff
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2012 - 05:47 AM UTC
Thanks,
The mesh is from an old fuel funnel that had a kind of filter in it.
At some oldtimer sales you can sometimes buy them as sheet to make fuel filters.
cheers, Tom
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2012 - 07:43 AM UTC
Thanks Tom, you're on a roll here keep up the great work.

Al
RogerEP
KitMaker: 30 posts
Model Shipwrights: 27 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2012 - 10:12 AM UTC
Hi Guys from 'downunder',

Well this certainly has generated lots of different responses and quite a deal of interest/excitement re Italer's Vosper. I guess I'll be waiting a while for mine to dock in my LHS but I can wait..................I think.

A number of you have expressed interest in other boat types and I might??? be able to help in some cases. I'm doing a range of coastal forces craft predominantly in 1/144th scale, mainly in card with resin cast parts, deck fittings/weapons etc and I'm also tinkering seriously in 1/72nd scale.

I've noticed a minor interest in a HDML and I agree a 1/72 one would be nice. A friend here in Oz has done a hull in one piece and I'm thinking a laser cut wooden deck would be very nice. I want to do one of the Aussie 80' HD's used for special ops and is still afloat and my hope is to do the deck, charthouse and unusual structure aft of the charthouse in timber to replicate the planking.

This is 'down the track' somewhat as I'm waist deep in building Fairmile B's in 1/144th scale for customers at present and awaiting more cast parts and PE before proceeding further. The 'B' is the first one in resin and should be followed by others (Vosper or Elco 80' PT) as I finish the card ones and post piccies. The other types mentioned previously in this thread such as Fairmile D, BPB MGB/MTB, Higgins 78' PT, PCF etc are certainly in my thought processes. I am tinkering with other Vietnam War types, all 1/144th scale and all card initially.

I reckon I would need at least FIVE firm expressions of interest to go down the resin road and I must say here that the Fairmile hull is quite hollow so very light.
Anyone interested in contacting me personally, my email address is back on page 2 of this thread posted on 13 Nov 11.

Cheers,
Roger.
Bendigo, Australia.
gambusia
Visit this Community
Viseu, Portugal
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2012 - 10:53 PM UTC
Hi Al and all,
Something I'm trying to figure out in this shot from "The Book" page 67. MTB 355 has oerlikons, fore and aft,

What I'm not sure of is whether that's a single or double - double, I think... and it's bandstand which looks like it's octagonal and flat(?) or do you think it might be stepped. This is the boat my scratchbuild is based on - having given up on producing a 1/72nd gun tub!
Any help would be gatefully recieved.
Cheers
Fraser
tomdekruijff
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2012 - 07:44 AM UTC
Hi Frazer,

Back gun is afaik a double,look at the space between the armourplates .
the front plates are much closer togther then the backplates.
Looking at the pedestal i say ,no step or only one.
Shape of it can't help there(for me it could be square)

cheers, Tom
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,244 posts
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2012 - 08:11 AM UTC
Hello Fraser, I agree with Tom about the after 20mm being a twin mount, and judging by the height of the visible portion of the 'bandstand' I'd say it is probably stepped down. I think that the purpose for the steps is to aid the gunner when firing at either low angle, or high angle targets. It would seem to me there would be no reason to have a platform that was elevated and flat. It wouldn't be needed for clearance to be able to fire over anything mounted on deck, and it wouldn't provide any help when engaging high angle targets. This is just my opinion, maybe someone else can provide definitive information. Al
gambusia
Visit this Community
Viseu, Portugal
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2012 - 10:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello Fraser, I agree with Tom about the after 20mm being a twin mount, and judging by the height of the visible portion of the 'bandstand' I'd say it is probably stepped down. I think that the purpose for the steps is to aid the gunner when firing at either low angle, or high angle targets. It would seem to me there would be no reason to have a platform that was elevated and flat. It wouldn't be needed for clearance to be able to fire over anything mounted on deck, and it wouldn't provide any help when engaging high angle targets. This is just my opinion, maybe someone else can provide definitive information. Al

Cheers guys - figured it was a double, makes sense. The bandstand is going to be a pig to scratchbuild if it's stepped, and that would explain the depth of it - bugger, i was hoping... I suppose I might get away with using one of the GLS bandstands I have stashed... Anyway, thanks for the help!
Fraser
alross2
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 317 posts
Model Shipwrights: 308 posts
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2012 - 11:22 AM UTC
I've seen photos and drawings of several types of bandstands - round, octagonal, and 12-sided. Some are two levels above the deck, some three, one type adjustable. The most common type seems to be round, but the shadow on the coverboard on this one suggests octagonal. The pedestal would be mounted on the hatch cover (deck level) with the steps (probably two in this case) rising above the deck level.

Al Ross
gambusia
Visit this Community
Viseu, Portugal
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2012 - 07:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I've seen photos and drawings of several types of bandstands - round, octagonal, and 12-sided. Some are two levels above the deck, some three, one type adjustable. The most common type seems to be round, but the shadow on the coverboard on this one suggests octagonal. The pedestal would be mounted on the hatch cover (deck level) with the steps (probably two in this case) rising above the deck level.

Al Ross

Well, I managed tobuild a single level bandstand to replace the one in Tamiya's Vosper, came out well enough I think. I have a goodly supply of plastic card and strip wood so what can possibly go wrong?
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2012 - 01:08 AM UTC
"Well, I managed tobuild a single level bandstand to replace the one in Tamiya's Vosper, came out well enough I think. I have a goodly supply of plastic card and strip wood so what can possibly go wrong?"

Fraser, If your name was Murphy, you would know what could possibly go wrong. But it shouldn't stop you from trying. Al
gambusia
Visit this Community
Viseu, Portugal
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2012 - 06:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

"Well, I managed tobuild a single level bandstand to replace the one in Tamiya's Vosper, came out well enough I think. I have a goodly supply of plastic card and strip wood so what can possibly go wrong?"

Fraser, If your name was Murphy, you would know what could possibly go wrong. But it shouldn't stop you from trying. Al

I'll have you know my toast always lands butter side up. Oddly, this does not apply to scratch building...
tomdekruijff
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2012 - 06:54 AM UTC

Well i have this on the wall at work in the Lab.
Up tillnow it is still valid.

Murphy’s Law

Nothing is as easy as it looks

Everything takes longer than you expect

Anything that can go wrong ,will go wrong…at the worst possible time

If everything seems to be going well, you obviously don’t know what the hell is going on

Leakproof seals-WILL

Build a system that even a fool can use, and only a fool will use it

Variables WON’T; constants AREN’T

There is always one more BUG

p.s Murphy was an optimist.

cheers, Tom
gambusia
Visit this Community
Viseu, Portugal
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2012 - 08:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well i have this on the wall at work in the Lab.
Up tillnow it is still valid.

Murphy’s Law

Nothing is as easy as it looks

Everything takes longer than you expect

Anything that can go wrong ,will go wrong…at the worst possible time

If everything seems to be going well, you obviously don’t know what the hell is going on

Leakproof seals-WILL

Build a system that even a fool can use, and only a fool will use it

Variables WON’T; constants AREN’T

There is always one more BUG

p.s Murphy was an optimist.

cheers, Tom

That is brilliant, I would add that the older you get the longer things take anyway! *sigh*. Spent the day felling trees for next years firewood....Ahhh, modelling, i remember modelling.
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 - 01:43 AM UTC
Toast may land buttered side up, but a dropped part will always land super-glue side down. Al
gambusia
Visit this Community
Viseu, Portugal
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 - 03:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Toast may land buttered side up, but a dropped part will always land super-glue side down. Al

And then the carpet gremlins will get ity...
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 - 10:15 AM UTC
I noticed that there are four short projections on the foredeck at each corner of one hatch. I thought they might be for mounting a frame for a canvas wind dodger. I went back through this post and found a photo of MTB 86 on page 5. It does in fact have a wind dodger in place over the hatch in question. I would assume this means the projections on the deck would be sockets for the frame and should then be drilled out. Does anyone know for sure? Al
tomdekruijff
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 - 07:22 PM UTC
Hi,

Well for sure is a bit much,but i came to the same conclusion.Need too drill them out to look good.When i put the oerlikon on the canvas will not fit i think.

cheers, Tom
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 - 11:14 PM UTC
Thanks Al and Tom, always wondered what those were!

Alan
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2012 - 01:56 AM UTC
Hello Tom, I liked the extra detail you added to the wheelhouse. So much so that I followed your lead and did the same. Where does that impressive little loudspeaker go? Al