_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
BB-39 build
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2011 - 10:09 PM UTC
The PE is available and in the process of shipping. The colours remain te be chosen, still considering what I will do there. My review went up around Christmas:
http://modelshipwrights.kitmaker.net/review/5805
The huge box has been eyeballing me everytime I visit my stash.
Not going to fight the temptation anymore but have decided to take the plunge.
The Trumpeter 1/200th BB-39 USS Arizona

Julian
Gremlin56
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2011 - 03:03 AM UTC
First update, 28th May 2011:
Taking things slow here while waiting for the PE to arrive. Also working out how to cobble up a base and also how to fit this monster on my workbench. At the moment working on the main armament, the 14" battery:

cheers,
Julian
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Model Shipwrights: 163 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2011 - 08:14 AM UTC
Ah, Julian, another big one! Where do you find the room for these beasts?!? I'm sure the Fletcher now looks like a mini ship...

I'll be following this one as well, even though I know I will never build it in this scale...

Cheers!
Stefan
Gremlin56
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2011 - 06:08 PM UTC
Hi Stefan, you hit the nail on the head there, storing these big models is getting to be a problem. I can't resist them though and I am afraid that a lot will end up in the attic The Arizona is a special thing to build though, the sheer size being very impressive.
cheers,
Julian
Gremlin56
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2011 - 02:29 AM UTC
May 29th update:
The main battery has been sprayed in Vallejo grey ground. The catapult has been fitted to "C" turret. The fit of the parts is very good. The base of the turrets I didn't even need to glue. The catapult didn't need any mr. surfacer or mr. liquid putty to hide small gaps. The PE supplied by Trumpeter is excellent to work with as well, not as stiff as Italeri's PE but a bit stiffer than Eduards PE. Gives you the opportunity to bend it around a bit to get the shape right without breaking or snapping. Nice I have also finished the secondary battery of 5" guns. They are next on the spray list.:

Julian
DutchBird
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,144 posts
Model Shipwrights: 172 posts
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2011 - 02:52 AM UTC
Looks good and big...

But are you not worried that you might have to undo some of your work when trying to use/improve it with the photo etch?

The aircraft catapult is one example that comes to mind...

Cheers,

Harm
Gremlin56
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2011 - 04:56 AM UTC
Hi Harm,
Have been studying the photos on WEM's site like the new edition of Penthouse There appear to be PE platforms for the catapult but the kit ones are pretty good as they are. At the moment working on the armament and there doesn't seem to be too much PE for that either. I think I spotted some PE that fits around the cannon openings on the main battery but all in all I am not expecting too many problems yet. Next step will be to cobble up a stand and paint the hull so I have some time to spare just yet.
If the PE takes too long I always have a pile of aircraft or armour in the stash I can build while waiting.
Cheers,
Julian
Mgunns
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
Model Shipwrights: 99 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2011 - 05:31 AM UTC
Hi Julian: I do have this in 1/350 and will be watching your build as you work on it here for tips and comparisons. So far it is taking shape nicely. Are those barrels on the 14" batteries included or aftermarket?

Best
Mark
Gremlin56
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2011 - 07:04 AM UTC
Hi Mark, the 14" battery barrels are supplied with the kit. The 5" secondary and 5" AAA battery barrels are metal ones supplied with the Trumpeter update set. They are better than the plastic barrels that come with the kit. The fit and detailing is even better than my first impressions in the review.
On a different note, what colour scheme will you be using. This seems to be a big item.
cheers,
Julian
Mgunns
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
Model Shipwrights: 99 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2011 - 12:45 AM UTC
Hi Julian:

It has been awhile since I cracked a book on the AZ but; I started the Revell one a few years back using the GMM PE to update it to Pearl Harbor. I think it was measure 2. A very dark dark grey, with the almost white tops above the stack line. The deck was natural teak. Since getting the Banner 1/350 kit of it, I have thought of doing it in a mid 30's scheme.
Ascaria
Visit this Community
Wroclaw, Poland
KitMaker: 253 posts
Model Shipwrights: 141 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2011 - 08:20 AM UTC
Take look here, at this photos

http://www.life.com/search/?type=images&q0=Battleship&k64113=Hawaii+Islands&page=4

Cheers

Wojtek
Gremlin56
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2011 - 06:35 PM UTC
I have a lot of photos of the Arizona in a light grey-looking scheme Mark, (black and white photos though). Looking at Wojtek's colour photos it could equally be a light or faded blue colour. What would the tint in the colour photos be? Light grey, Ocean grey, (using Lifecolor's USN set as a reference here).

This model suggests a very dark blue, (more akin to Navy blue in the Lifecolours set).
Of course this colour would probably fade to a lighter shade in the tropics as well and in bright sunlight it would appear lighter as well
I have ordered several jars of the Navy blue but am still not sure if that is what I will finally use Will need lightening to appear in scale anyway.............
Julian
Gremlin56
Posted: Thursday, June 02, 2011 - 01:53 AM UTC
I found some photos of other ships at Pearl harbour during the raid time frame online that also suggest a dark colour on the vertical surfaces and a light shade on the mast tops and control towers:

Of course I also realise that these are black and white snaps of other vessels than the Arizona but it proves there could be a basis for the Navy blue scheme on Arizona during the attack. I imagine that if an order is given for a certain paint scheme to be adopted all ships will try and comply as fast as possible in the navy, (also bearing in mind a certain sense of competition between commanding officers on board)
Julian
Ascaria
Visit this Community
Wroclaw, Poland
Posted: Thursday, June 02, 2011 - 04:22 AM UTC
Hi Julian,

this photos from LIFE magazine was from early 1940, and it's totally different
painting than this from Dec 41 Pearl Harbour.

But it's my favourite (and my Wife tooo ) with yellow winged Kingfishers.

Maybe i will have to cheat a little bit but it looks fantastic
Gremlin56
Posted: Thursday, June 02, 2011 - 05:17 AM UTC
Hi Wojtek,
you are absolutely right about the 1940 light blue being a more elegant colour scheme. The Kingfishers with the original "wings of gold" will add a fantastic contrast as well. Are you working on a model the Arizona?
Julian
Ascaria
Visit this Community
Wroclaw, Poland
Posted: Thursday, June 02, 2011 - 05:47 AM UTC
Not yet Julian

but my Arizona has been already "secured" on my shelf. I was reading entire topic about Arizona on Ship Model Forum

http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=62452

And i know that it's cheat, this light blue color without changing configuration of the ship and with silver yellow Kingfishers...

But my colleagues always told me:

"What the model should to do ? It should look good ! "
Gremlin56
Posted: Thursday, June 02, 2011 - 06:17 AM UTC
Interesting thread that contains a lot of information. Thanks Wojtek.
You are right on that point: build for fun and not for the rivet counters
Supposed to be a hobby !
regards,
Julian
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,244 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 02, 2011 - 11:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Interesting thread that contains a lot of information. Thanks Wojtek.
You are right on that point: build for fun and not for the rivet counters
Supposed to be a hobby !
regards,
Julian

Blasphemer! Satan- worshipper! Anarchist! Building a model just for the fun of it?
It's Heresy! Just kidding Julian, I couldn't agree with you more. I strive for accuracy but don't obsess over it. Like the CIA I believe in 'plausible denia
bility'. I sometimes wonder how many models won't get built because of some missing bit of available research? I can't wait to see how this one turns out. Like all the rest you've done, I'm sure she'll be a beauty. Al
Gremlin56
Posted: Thursday, June 02, 2011 - 05:38 PM UTC
Hi Al, I know, I said the F-word Nothing can redeem my model building soul now
I recieved a mail that my PE set has been dispatched and my order of Lifecolour for the hull and superstructure are underway. Not looking forward to cobbling up some form of display stand
I'll see where this build takes me. Hope you are having fun with the MAS, (oops, did it again, the F-word )
cheers,
Julian
Ascaria
Visit this Community
Wroclaw, Poland
Posted: Thursday, June 02, 2011 - 06:19 PM UTC
Hi Al

You touch very important thing with this words:

"I sometimes wonder how many models won't get built because of some missing bit of available research? "

It's sad but true, friend of mine hasn't finish DML Maus, because hi didn't
know how to connect fuel pipes to this huge 1000l barrel tank, hard to belive but true

And sorry for my week english
Gremlin56
Posted: Thursday, June 02, 2011 - 07:19 PM UTC
Good morning Wojtek, have just been reading the thread at Ship Model Forum you sent yesterday. Very interesting reading ! The colour controversy is even bigger than I first thought
Julian
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, June 03, 2011 - 11:22 AM UTC
Hello Wojtek, Your English is a heck of a
lot better than my Polish. Al
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, June 03, 2011 - 11:33 AM UTC
Hi Julian, I really am having fun with the MAS. I'm not progressing as fast as I'd like, but it is coming along. I took a page from Alan's book and scratch built some interior for the forward cabin. Just enough so that there is something to see through the open hatches. I hope to get some paint on it soon. Al
Gremlin56
Posted: Friday, June 03, 2011 - 10:04 PM UTC
The thing that caused me the most problems was the forward antenna line. Rigged it and removed it twice before I liked the result. Problem is the pair of leads that run from the antenna to the connectors on the wheelhouse roof. Streched sprue didn't look right. I eventually added a "bend" in the antenna to put some tension on the connection wires. May not be 100% correct but it looks better than the previous attempts
Julian
Gremlin56
Posted: Friday, June 03, 2011 - 10:46 PM UTC
June 4th update:
5" AAA battery is finished and grounded. I have recieved confirmation from WEM that the PE has shipped:

What are the cilindrical things on the left side of the 5" mount? I would guess that they are 5" shells in a ready rack but I could also be wrong. If they are shells are they made of brass in 1941?

Julian
 _GOTOTOP