Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
ZVEZDA DREADNOUGHT + PONTOS & WEM
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Model Shipwrights: 871 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 - 11:04 PM UTC
Simon it looks like you are making good progress and the Pontos bits look the part. May have to take Warren's advice and wait for the Trumpeter version. I would recommend the kagero book. I ordered book and boat at the same time. Only have the book so far but it does whet the appetite for a great looking battleship.
Cheers
michael
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2013 - 08:28 AM UTC
Hi Warren,

I don't disagree, if the finished article was going to sit on a shelf, but as she is going to travel to shows with me I have a dread of opening the boot of the car and finding a heap of tangled brass and rigging hanging off one side. This why I have gone for the waterline option, the nets will be firmly attached to the base, so the whole structure should survive the UK's pothole laden roads (and vicious speed humps).

Hi Keith,

Thanks for looking in, any questions please feel free.
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2013 - 08:32 AM UTC
Hi Michael,

Thanks for looking in, after all the good joss from you & Warren, I am definitely up for a copy of the Kagero book.

Si
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,212 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2013 - 06:16 PM UTC
Off to a really nice start as usual Si. Watching with interest.....Cheers mark
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2013 - 07:05 PM UTC
Hi mark,

Thanks for looking in,

Si
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2013 - 10:28 PM UTC
Hi Si

coming along nicely! Good to see you bringing us so many great builds!
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2013 - 08:52 AM UTC
Hi Russell,

Thanks for you kind words and looking in. Hope to have some time to crack on a bit more tomorrow,

Si
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2013 - 08:54 AM UTC
A bit more progress on the hull details, the trickiest folds are the brackets for the stowed booms. the weak point is the half etched folds around the opening in the bracket.

Nt that clear in the picture, but running from the long etch to the long side of the oval hole.

the easy method I have found is to fold the two mounting plates up first, as the are the hardest fold. I have a very simple folding tool, but it works for me. The mounting plates folded up.

The double fold to complete the piece was done using tweezers.

Mounts for the midships boat boom fitted.

The port side completed up the maindeck level with some work above.

and the starboard side so far.

More soon

Si
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2013 - 09:22 AM UTC
You are learning the zen of PE Simon..

Don;t forget to anneal the PE to soften it if necessary.

The good thing about the Trumpeter version is that it is the 1907 version whereas this is the 1912 version. And Trumpeter are bringing out a 1915 version soon as well! SO long with nothing and then spoiled for choice! Thank goodness for Trumpeter..

Now if only SOMEONE would release a plastic HMS Rodney and Sheffield and Ajax and Ark Royal and and and...
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2013 - 06:45 AM UTC
Thanks Warren,

Whilst I have used PE before, I have not used anything quite like the Pontos set. But so far so good.

I agree with your wish list, especially the cruisers, still at least we now have the Belfast.

Si
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2013 - 07:52 AM UTC
You can get them in resin but I can't afford them.. The Iron Shipwright kits look awesome but I just can't justify the cost. I built the 1/600 Airfix ones way back when before I even started painting my kits and remember having them all lined up with the Graf Spee.
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,244 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2013 - 09:51 PM UTC
Looks really good Simon, that PE would have me ripping my hair out and using language that would shock a longshoreman! Al
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 16, 2013 - 07:21 AM UTC
Hi Warren,

In the same boat, so to speak, fancy the look of the Iron Shipwrights cruisers, but cannot afford, would love to see some more in plastic.

Hi Al,

Thanks for looking in. Must admit I have said the odd "naughty" word or three, but once I had cracked folding the crutches for the boom as above, especially without dropping them once that was achieved it has been fairly repetitive which is great when you get in the groove.

Si
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,212 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 - 07:29 PM UTC
In the same Boat Guys. Would love some of the Kombrig Kits but they are just too damm costly. Like what you have done so far also Si........Cheers mark
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2013 - 08:55 AM UTC
Thanks Mark,

would also really like to add some of the Kombrig 1/350th stuff to the loft insulation.

Must be my turn for the big lottery win sometime soon

Si
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2013 - 06:10 AM UTC
Finally, all the fittings for the boat and torpedo net booms and other bits of hull details completed. Next job, whack some paint on. Tamiya TS66 looked about right to Me.

I have painted the skylights black, as I intend to have some of them open, also the steel deck areas have been painted a darker shade of grey.

The tedious job with using a wood deck is picking out all the cutouts with tip of a No.11 blade. I prefer to do this as they don't always stay down when the deck is peeled up and I want to minimise handling the desk once it is off the backing.

The fo'c'sle deck down, a very good fit indeed.

All of the maindeck down. I was conscious that there may be an issue with having fitted the fo'c'sle deck first, but I didn't want to risk a prominent visible join right on the hull sides. In the end I needn't have worried, I slid the deck under the overhangs around the rear gun ports on the superstructure, and just eased the sections around the barbettes for the wing turrets into place, gently rubbing it down with a clean finger. Any edges standing proud around structure can be gently pressed down with the back of a knife blade.

The two forward section of the maindeck also fit well. Overall the Pontos deck fitted very well.

Deck fittings next, and the superstructure 12pdrs (I think)

Si
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2013 - 06:26 AM UTC
Looks beautiful with the wooden deck Simon.
Julian
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2013 - 09:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Michael,

Thanks for looking in, after all the good joss from you & Warren, I am definitely up for a copy of the Kagero book.

Si

They are an excellent reference source Simon. I actually found out what a Red Duster was the other day..

And the wooden decks are much easier to use than you would think. I use them as much as I can now.

Cheers
Warren
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Model Shipwrights: 871 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2013 - 09:53 PM UTC
Great looking decks Simon and good tip about removing the cutouts before peeling off the backing. I will remember that!

cheers
Michael
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2013 - 06:39 AM UTC
Thanks for your kind comments guys,

I must admit I am convert to real wood decks, this is third one I have used and with a bit of forward planning so far they have not presented any insurmountable problems.

My one fear is a splash of paint on the deck touching something up, but as this will some crew about no doubt I can think of a cover up.

Si
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 06, 2013 - 07:53 AM UTC
A busy weekend with watching my son playing Rugby on Saturday afternoon and parade on Sunday I only managed a little progress, but here it is non the less.

The funnel casings that go in the superstructure have been assembles]d, the larger, after one has had it's portholes drilled out & and etched doors added.

Also I have started to add detail to the fo'c'sle the skylights fold up very neatly, and painting the raised moulding black has added quite a bit of depth.

Some of the brass does need a touch up.

Again I have found some detail missed by both Pontos & WEM. The brake wheels and their mounts for the capstans. These are a little way aft of the capstans connected by a shaft. I will put something together for these after the cables are added,

More soon, hoping for a quieter weekend soon,

Si
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 08, 2013 - 07:34 AM UTC
This dropped through the post today

excellent illustrations with lots and lots of detail some of which is not included in either detail set!

more scratchbuilt detail then. I am loving it!!

Si
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 08, 2013 - 07:38 AM UTC
I found the Kagero book fascinating Simon, those torpedo nets must have been sheer hell to work with.
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 09, 2013 - 07:22 AM UTC
I reckon you are right there Julian, both full size and 1/350th. Looking at the rigging on the booms, even stowed could be tricky. maybe waterlined and extended may be the easier route.... Or maybe not, we will see.

Si
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2013 - 12:36 PM UTC
Well my Zen with photoetch has not been working so good today, the supports for the breakwater pinged out of my tweezers with annoying regularity. however a bit of work with some 5 thou replaced them, after a fashion.

The missing brake wheel assemblies have been scratchbuilt from some scraps of plasticard, brass rod and a couple of etched wheels.

and from above.

anchor cables fitted, chain stoppers still need to be added, and few other bits & pieces.

After all the etch a bit of work on the superstructure, funnel cases and vent covers in place.

Si