Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
ZVEZDA DREADNOUGHT + PONTOS & WEM
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2013 - 09:40 AM UTC
As I have finished a couple of bits and pieces so time for a new project, the Zvezda Dreadnought along with the Pontos super detail set and the WEM etch.

The contents of the Pontos set includes a wood deck, a vast amount of turned brass barrels, vents, masts, yardarms etc, vast amounts of etch, including a full set deployed torpedo nets, plus mesh to make rolled nets, anchor chains etc.

The wem whilst overlapping with Pontos on the etch front does have some stuff that Pontos does not include, most important for me waterline deployed nets details for the 12 pdrs.

As hinted above this is going to be a waterline build. the kit is moulded full hull, but with a deep V cut into the inside of the hull halves on the waterline.

One hull half has been cut and the other is next.

The Hull halves, waterlined fitted together well, with their bulkheads, the maindeck has been prep, by removing the breakwaters and is ready to fit.

The basic hull assembled, and ready to start adding some brass details prior to the basecoat of paint.

Apart from a couple of licks of filler around the join of the foc'sle deck side pieces to the hull the fit was very good.

more soon,

si
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2013 - 09:44 AM UTC
I have the same in my stash mate. It is rapidly rising to the top, but I didn't get the WEM set as the Pontos set has all the detail I need.
I will be watching closely Sir.
Regards
Warren
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Model Shipwrights: 871 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2013 - 10:20 PM UTC
I am also keen to see how this builds. I have ordered the Trumpeter 1907 Dreadnought with the WEM etch which is for the Zvezda kit and the Artwox deck.

cheers
Michael
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2013 - 05:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am also keen to see how this builds. I have ordered the Trumpeter 1907 Dreadnought with the WEM etch which is for the Zvezda kit and the Artwox deck.

cheers
Michael

I hope the WEM etch fits the Trumpeter kit Michael...
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2013 - 06:42 AM UTC
Hi Warren,

It is a bit of overkill using both set, but I bought the WEM set as soon as it came out, and had a weakness when I saw the Pontos set.

The instructions for the Pontos set are not the clearest with so many small pieces, so this is going to be fun.

Michael are you going to blog your build? would be interested as I am thinking of the Trumpeter 1917 Dreadnought to convert into HMS Collingwood 1918, the Hull won't quite be right, but not to far out, quite a bit of work one superstructure, but at least I will have the left over Zvezda mast ofr the mainmast.

Hope to get on with mounts for the torpedo net booms next.

Si
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2013 - 08:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Warren,

It is a bit of overkill using both set, but I bought the WEM set as soon as it came out, and had a weakness when I saw the Pontos set.

The instructions for the Pontos set are not the clearest with so many small pieces, so this is going to be fun.

Michael are you going to blog your build? would be interested as I am thinking of the Trumpeter 1917 Dreadnought to convert into HMS Collingwood 1918, the Hull won't quite be right, but not to far out, quite a bit of work one superstructure, but at least I will have the left over Zvezda mast ofr the mainmast.

Hope to get on with mounts for the torpedo net booms next.

Si

Mate it is your money so you do whatever you want.

I bought the Zvezda and Trumpeter Dreadnoughts so I am no better. And I will get the WW1 version eventually as well as I just love these early battleships and their weird armament configurations.

Regards
Warren
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Model Shipwrights: 871 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2013 - 09:53 PM UTC
Hi Warren,
I hope so too!!
I couldn't find an etch set for the 1907 boat so it will be interesting to see how different the two kits are. If you have them both I guess you already know

Simon,
I would very much like to do a build blog on this, especially to learn about the pre-WWI ships because I also ordered the HMS New Zealand kit (Our only capital ship and we didn't even keep it)by ComBrig which I expect a whole other level of pain with that.

regards

Michael
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2013 - 07:49 AM UTC
Hi warren,

Yup and I enjoyed spending it, and I am going enjoy using it (I hope).

Hi Michael,

Go for the blog, the guys on here will give you loads of help. I have the New Zealand in my sights as well, I am great fan of Combrig, I have built the Kent and that had very few vices, simpler than some injection kits.

Si
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2013 - 08:08 AM UTC
One of the people behind Pontos regularly blog on The Ship Model Forum and he stated in one of his posts that they do not recommend the Zvezda version for the Trumpeter kit and that a dedicated Trumpeter kit will be out soon.
Just informing is all.
Cheers
Warren
Naseby
Visit this Community
Slovakia
KitMaker: 825 posts
Model Shipwrights: 97 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 07, 2013 - 03:35 AM UTC
This built will be interesting, will watch it closely.
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 07, 2013 - 06:28 AM UTC
Thanks Naseby appreciate you looking in.

A small amount of progress today, firstly drilling out the portholes, they are very shallow on the kit so I didn't see an alternative. I will glaze with crystal clear after spraying.

Also the moulded on mounts for the torpedo net booms have been removed, The Pontos instructions are not that clear (I have to say they have much improved on more recent sets), A little help from the Anatomy of a Ship on Dreadnought and all is clear.

Hopefully tomorrow I will see if this works.

Si
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 08, 2013 - 06:18 AM UTC
Before starting on the boom fittings, one of a number of minor omissions on both sets was the shutters over the forward 6 12 pdrs in the superstructure. On the kit they are merely plain raised rectangles.

A bit of plastic strip, not perfect, but a bit more detail.

The Access opening from the real of the superstructure to "X" tuuret roof is missing.

An arched frame is provided on the Pontos fret, but the access is shown as square in the ATOS book. I decided to add the frame, and cut the whole square, which looks OK.

Starting to fit the Boom mounts, the small ring from the large Nickel fret is added over the pre drilled hole, and the mount folded in half and inserted into the whole with the hook horizontal.

The cradle that the boom sits in is abit of a trick to fold, I found this worked, cos I broke the first one trying to do it the other way, Fold the base plates at each end up first, then gripping it in tweezers fold the cradle section.

Another missing detail is the hatches along the hull, this time some thin cut pieces of plastic strip were used as hinges.

Finally for today some spare hatches were pinched from the WEM set for the sides of the fo'c'sle deck.

I am about 1/4 of the way through the boom fittings and half way through the hatches. but getting there.

More soon.

Si
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 08, 2013 - 06:40 AM UTC
Hi Simon.
Your build is progressing very nicely. It would appear that one of the advantages of the Trumpeter kit is more detail on the superstructure sides. Just an observation.
Keep up the great work,
Regards
Warren
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 08, 2013 - 07:50 AM UTC
Thanks Warren,

I agree from what I have seen the Trunmpeter Kit is better on the detail front, but I am enjoying adding all these little bits and pieces

Si
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 08, 2013 - 09:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Warren,

I agree from what I have seen the Trunmpeter Kit is better on the detail front, but I am enjoying adding all these little bits and pieces

Si

I have also read that the Zvezda kit is actually more accurate.. but don't ask me how!!

As you may have seen from my Bismarck build I think I may be the king of adding detail to superstructure walls!

The main idea is that we enjoy our modelling, nd I am happy you are enjoying your build here Simon.

Cheers mate
Warren

vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Model Shipwrights: 350 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 08, 2013 - 01:37 PM UTC
Si... I'm jealous! I'm not sure that I'd have the heart to cut that hull, she has a beautiful shape.
JClapp
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,265 posts
Model Shipwrights: 104 posts
Posted: Monday, September 09, 2013 - 12:25 AM UTC
I am monitoring this thread. i>~
the stoker fired steam era is so fascinating.
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,244 posts
Posted: Monday, September 09, 2013 - 02:20 AM UTC
Really nice work Simon. IMHO Dreadnought looks better as a waterline model rather than as a full hull. She's much more leaner and meaner looking that way:-H Al
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 09, 2013 - 08:30 AM UTC
Hi Warren,

Thanks mate, it is about enjoyment, and part of that for me is taking things one step further from time to time. (Not after your crown, that Bismarck was a great build)

Hi Jeremy,

There is method in my madness, or is it the other way round, with all the pontos brass for the net booms the plan is to have the nets deployed and full hull I have not yet worked out a plan for supporting the deployed nets with the ship on a stand that would transportable to shows without being intrusive. Also whilst the lower hull has got some real lines to it, with the relatively uncluttered upperworks she does look quite elegant waterline.

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for looking in, will try to keep it interesting.

Hi Al,

Thanks, as I have replied to Jeremy it was not a straight forward decision to waterline, but I am liking the look of the hull, I think the ram above the waterline looks a bit more vicious than when you see the whole thing.

All the best to all

Si
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 - 04:04 AM UTC
You are brave man Simon, the Dreadnought looks amazingly regal with the nets deployed but it just has to be a nerve wrecking job to build it. Did you get the Kagero book to aid the build?
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 - 07:14 AM UTC
Hi Julian,

Brave or mad, not sure which, but it seemed rude not to deploy the nets with all that lovely brass to make up the booms it would be rude not to.

Don't have the Kagero book yet, hope to pick up a copy at the Brampton model show at the end of the month.

Si
Naseby
Visit this Community
Slovakia
KitMaker: 825 posts
Model Shipwrights: 97 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 - 07:33 AM UTC
The torpedo nets are the most amazing thing about these ships. But I would never try to put the on in a deployed position. All repsect for the decision Simon!
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 - 07:51 AM UTC
Thanks Naseby,

I hope I can pull it off, it is a bit scary, but with all that brass it seemed a shame to hide it alongside the hull.

Si
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 - 08:32 AM UTC
As long as you have the hull firmly attached to a heavy base the nets should just hang there off their little hooks. Should...
:)
beefy66
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 971 posts
Model Shipwrights: 645 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 - 10:03 PM UTC
Simon great work so far I,am keeping an eye on this one just picked up the Trumpeter version and will be asking for tips about your build to help when i start mine

Cheers Keith