Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
ZVEZDA DREADNOUGHT + PONTOS & WEM
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,169 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,597 posts
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2013 - 11:34 AM UTC
Ahoy Simon

Nice build I am watching with real interest.

Looking forward to seeing how you tackle the nets as well.

Cheers

Sean
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2013 - 08:03 PM UTC
Thanks Guys,

no pressure then

Next few bits are more straight forward, finish the bridge, get in place. The ladder down from the charthouse level is going to be a tight squeeze. build and fit the boats, after superstructure, foremast tripod, finish main turrets. sundry deck fittings, railings, topmasts, rigging, base and finally nets.

That should work.... I hope.

Si
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Model Shipwrights: 871 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2013 - 09:04 PM UTC
Hi Simon,
It is looking great. I like all the extra detail as it is making me try it as well.

Looks like a short list but I am sure it is still plenty of work. I am looking forward to how you display it.

cheers

Michael
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 28, 2013 - 06:16 AM UTC
Thanks Michael,

The list may well get changed around. I am now thinking after I got the bridge finished & attached, get the boat that sits athwartships just aft of the foremast in, and then get the main tripod up.

Si
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Thursday, November 28, 2013 - 01:41 PM UTC
Ahoy Simon

You now have some real "antipodean" fans in Michael & I.

No pressure here Simon as you probably know we are all pretty relaxed out here in the "colonies".

Cheers

Sean
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 29, 2013 - 07:16 AM UTC
Thanks Sean,

I am enjoying this challenge of this build, and always welcome comments and support.

Update on the last couple of days progress.

The Bridge has had the searchlights and ladder to the compass platform fitted.

Followed by the railings for the bridge wings, and the chart table, binnacle (I used one from a spare sprue laying around on the bench, no idea where from, but it was an improvement on the Zvezda offering) and other equipment for the compass platform. as the ship will be depicted at anchor I am omitting the canvas dodgers around these railing. This ties in with some pre war photos of the ship.

The Bridge fitted, (I notice I knocked the binnacle out of alignment, but that can be sorted), a semaphore added to each bridgewing, curiously missing from both the Pontos & WEM frets, and the long ladder down from the bridge dropped (surprisingly) easily into place in the network of stays and bridge supports.

Basic assembly of the Pontos brass Derrick, the derrick, the top and bottom mounts fitted neatly into flats on the mast with the spindle between them, and the derrick slots onto the spindle. (Does not match exactly the drawings in the Kagero book, but looks effective.

The etched rigging fitted, again the mounting plate at the top fitted neatly onto another flat on the mast.

The tripod set up and the mast and support legs glued together, and left to set in place. It has been left removeable so I can shoot some paint at it.

Once painted and secured I will have to fabricate a rest for the derrick, and the on with the boats.

Si
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 03, 2013 - 07:50 AM UTC
Scratchbuilding a simple rest for the derrick. Very simple, a thin slice of tube is cut in half and attached to a length of rod.

The rest cut to length painted and fitted, along with the foremast which has also been painted. I have added lashings to the athwartships boat as well

On with the steam boats. plastic parts assembled, also the covered stack of open boats.

Etch added to the steam pinaces, along the the turned brass funnels. The etched after cabins are a little narrow, and there is a gap yet to fill.

There are wheels on the WEM fret, and the etched rudders and props yet to go on.

More soon,

Si

RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 04, 2013 - 08:06 AM UTC
On with the boats, I have gone for more Edwardian colours, keeping the after cabins in varnished wood and the funnels black with a real brass tip.

The boats fitted along with the railing around the after superstructure and the ladder up to the roof of Q turret.

started work on the after superstructure, there is a slight problem with the tripod legs, they are going to need shortening a bit.

As I am working on the Combrig HMS Tiger over the Great war campaign on Armourama, and just had to put the two side by side. Dreadnought is quite small and compact compared to Tiger.

Si
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 04, 2013 - 08:12 AM UTC
Excellent work Simon.

Where is the Tiger blog?
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 04, 2013 - 08:16 PM UTC
Hi Warren,

Thanks,

The Tiger is being blogged here,

http://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/199812&ord=&page=11

Si
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Model Shipwrights: 871 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 05, 2013 - 04:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Warren,

Thanks,

The Tiger is being blogged here,

http://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/199812&ord=&page=11

Si

Hi Simon, The Tiger looks great and I will be interested to know how you find the Combrig kit. The HMS NZ kit I have has no masts and suspect photoetch set.
But the fact you also working on plane as well, I don't how you keep it all organised. My desk(and brain)only has space for one at a time!
cheers
Michael
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 05, 2013 - 09:14 PM UTC
Hi Michael,

I am enjoying the Tiger so far. Like the your NZ it has it's minus points, rudimentary etch and no masts, yards, booms, steam pipes etc. and it does feel like they may have scaled up the 1/700th kit. On the plus side the castings are very good, and the shape matches drawings in Burt, the details looks good.

It is going to take a bit of work, Using two sets on the dreadnought should give me enough left over etch for most of the details, except possibly railings.

I like to work on more than one thing at a time, usually my modelling time is quite limited, so I can work on project whilst glue and paint on another is drying. There is a simple trick, don't work on two things moulded in the same colour plastic / resin at the same time, then it is simple (ish)

Si
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 08, 2013 - 07:28 AM UTC
Nice work on the Dreadnought, Tiger and Salmson. You are keeping busy Simon
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Sunday, December 08, 2013 - 01:58 PM UTC
Ahoy Fellas

The Combrig kits are all like that.

Michael - Colin Swager has just completed an awesome build of the Combrig of the HMS NZ. He is on this forum and part of IPMS Auckland.

Awesome modeller and super helpful guy you should track him down.

Cheers

Sean
Rugbyhead
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 39 posts
Model Shipwrights: 36 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 08, 2013 - 05:14 PM UTC
Hi All, I am just amazed at the world of difference the p/e and brass funnels make to the lifeboats!!
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2013 - 06:30 AM UTC
Thanks for the comments guys, I will be updating the Tiger build this evening as well.

On with the after superstructure, in order to get the lengths of the support legs correct I glued the in the correct position at the top, after allowing the joint to set trimmed them off in line with the bottom of the moulding.

Painted, the searchlights added and railings fitted, I used the pontos railing, I did need to remove a couple of sections in order to make the gaps for ladders that run up the supporting legs, these are clearly shown the kagero book.

Fitted in place along with the incline ladder up the door.

Si
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 17, 2013 - 06:50 AM UTC
A bit more progress.

Pontos details added to the main turrets, the eagle eyed will notice that 3 turrets still need the ladders fitting between the gun barrels.

The turrets sprayed medium grey and the non slip areas on the roof painted dark grey.

Before fitting "A" turret all the skylight hatches on the fo'c'sle have been fitted, mostly open.

A turret with it's 12 pounders in place.

boats around the superstructure next.

Si
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 17, 2013 - 09:15 AM UTC
The main armament makes a big difference to her appearence Simon, excellent,
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 17, 2013 - 11:53 AM UTC
She's coming along nicely Simon. The decks look great, and small details like those open hatches add a lot.
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2013 - 03:03 AM UTC
Thanks Julian, She does have a look about her with the main armament fitted.

Thanks Tim, noted that trick on your Olympia build, kit does add depth.

Si
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 22, 2013 - 09:23 AM UTC
On with the remaining boats.

The moulded detail has been removed and the interiors painted white.

The davits with moulded gripes painted and attached.

The boats having their etched details fitted, the two cutters at the back are finished and ready to be hung from the davits.

The Cutters fitted, they did take a bit fiddling to get in, These davits just need rigging, and according to the views in the Kagero book, that is going to be fun.

Si
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,244 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 22, 2013 - 11:08 AM UTC
Looking real good Simon, coming along nicely. Al
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 23, 2013 - 04:29 AM UTC
Thanks Tim, appreciate your support.

Here is the picture I forgot in the last post, the cutters fitted into their davits.

rigging them next, there are etched manropes and rope ladders on both sets, but no falls are lowering tackles for the davits, a bit of scratchbuilding then.

more soon,

Si
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2013 - 07:41 AM UTC
Now one of the tricky jobs, rigging the davits abeam of the forward funnel. looking at the Kagero book, the davits have a separate set of falls from the boat. First attempt was to scratch something as neither etch set was of any direct assistance. I attempted to scratchbuild:-

This ultimately did not work. Plan B I went through all the spare frets and found some bits of tackle.

Falls of the davits, not exact, but better than nothing.

Falls for the boats.

Again not perfect, but I am quite pleased with the result, apologies that the pics aren't clear enough.

Si

warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2013 - 08:24 AM UTC
For myself and probably others out there too scared to ask, what is a davit and why are they rigged (especially in 1/350 )...

Cheers
Warren