Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
HMS Repulse 1/350 Force Z 1941
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Monday, March 09, 2015 - 01:47 AM UTC
Fantastic work Jan!

I have only one suggestion mate: Seeing her hang off the edge of that shelf, is making me break out in a cold sweat! If it were me, my clumsy self would be in danger of knocking her off, so maybe a bit of a move up dock to tuck the stern of the ship in the dry dock is in order.

I'll certainly be a lot less nervous

All in all though, nearly there, and definitely be deserving a few at the commissioning ceremony.

Look forward to seeing what you have in store for us for your next build

Russ
Blespooky
Visit this Community
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel
KitMaker: 277 posts
Model Shipwrights: 171 posts
Posted: Monday, March 09, 2015 - 12:12 PM UTC
Jan,

So close, almost time to tie the champagne to the rope and break out the band. Again, excellent use of rigging as an active construction element and not only a static detail.

I agree with Russell, just a little closer to the wall and about 10 centimeters to the right and everything will be calmer.

Can you sent a picture of the main mast rigging in its final state with a white background?

Cant wait for the commisioning,
Bryan
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Monday, March 09, 2015 - 11:30 PM UTC
Thank you all for your kind comments!!

And yes, Russ and Bryan, you got your message across, good Repulse moved to the right. And seriously, it's not as bad as it looks the shelf is all the way in the back and - almost - unreachable

Bryan, I tried to get pictures as good as possible without flash and with a white background - not much daylight these days when I come out of office - but the pictures should be okay I hope:

Not much productive work possible during the week and will be away Fri/Sat, so let's see what I get accomplished coming Sunday...

Cheers and thanks for looking!

Jan
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Monday, March 09, 2015 - 11:39 PM UTC
Great work Jan,

You have really done the noble Repulse justice!
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 02:38 AM UTC
Just some really great riggin' there Jan!!
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Wednesday, March 11, 2015 - 12:36 AM UTC
Thank you very much, Tim and Todd, that's very much appreciated!!

Looking at my own pictures though - macro lenses are unforgiving - the White Ensign looks wrong. I now you can fumble with a Union Jack and hoist it upside down...but the White Ensign should be straight forward...at least I could not think of a non-obvious way to hoist it wrongly... so it appears that the decal's wrong or am I confused now??

Well, in reality it's quite small and the cross looks somewhat blurred anyway, so I am going to leave it. But on the close up of the main mast it really bit me...I sincerely apologize to all fellow shipwrights from the UK...

Cheers

Jan
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, March 11, 2015 - 01:23 AM UTC
Good to see her moved to safety, Jan

The rigging looks great! As for the white ensign, I think you've done everything correctly. Perhaps it's the Trumpy decal that's just a tad off register?

Maybe like me, you see things in your own work that others don't and are far too critical?

I wouldn't worry about it though mate, she's looking great and fighting fit!

Russ
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Model Shipwrights: 871 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 11, 2015 - 04:38 AM UTC
Hi Jan,
Repulse is looking fantastic and a great job on the rigging. Nice to see different widths being used. I haven't tried that but it looks very effective. Looking forward to final completion.

cheers

Michael
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2015 - 09:46 PM UTC
Thank you all for your kind words - so I finally found at least a little time at the workbench, here's a micro update. The coming weekend should be better....

The crest - don't know exactly where I am going to put it, though...

And then I got the anchor installed, and the chains. I forgot to take pictures of the progress, but I think you can see it: I connected the anchor stems to the chains first, tied the chains to the sewing thread and dragged them through the hawsepipes, so the anchors are not glued in place but are hanging free.

Preparing the boats davids:

And finally a few more railings and the passages across the catapult:

So much for now, more (hopefully) soon - as always, thanks for looking!!

Cheers

Jan

rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,481 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,332 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2015 - 10:06 PM UTC
Jan,

She is looking great. I like the slight weathering on the anchor chain and how you connceted it to the anchors themselves. I will steal that idea for future use if you don't mind.

Very impressive. She looks ready to take on the IJN.

Dave
Aurora-7
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,020 posts
Model Shipwrights: 630 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2015 - 10:20 PM UTC
Looking really beautiful.
TimReynaga
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2015 - 12:55 AM UTC
Jan, I agree with Dave - those anchors and chains look like they actually work!

RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 12:42 AM UTC
Great stuff Jan,

The Anchors and cables look really good

Si
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 01:21 AM UTC
Beautiful work Jan!

I especially like what you've done with the crest now where to mount it?

Is it small enough to mount on the front of the bridge?

Russ
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 06:22 AM UTC
Looking superb Jan!! The chains are just great!! Well done so far!
Blespooky
Visit this Community
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 12:56 AM UTC
She is just about ready to "way anchor" literally. Keep up the good work. I hope you can find a great place for that plaque, its really neat.

Bryan
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Model Shipwrights: 871 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 02:20 PM UTC
Great effort Jan. Your attention to the detail in this build has been amazing and the final bits and pieces have come out superbly.

cheers
Michael
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 10:21 PM UTC
Gentlemen!

Thank you so much for all your kind comments, encouragement and support right now and throughout the entire build as well

And again I apologize for being sloppy on commenting all of your great builds over the last couple of days, some real great progress and even commission of HMS Achilles, cheers for that

however, as you are probably guessing, I had a job to do, and that's finally finished - so welcome to my final update to this build log!!

But there was some work to be done first -

lets start with the boats and the davids and nets.

And installed, together with the 'folded' accommodation ladder. Simply could not resist, they have REPULSE etched in their final step, not sure if you can see it on the pic.
Of course there are still touch ups needed, and you can see a little different colors from later spraying, that will all disappear soon

On with the final parts of the railing.

And now - what is left?? Some small parts that for one reason or another are not needed - may come handy in the future...

and a lot more parts that are waiting to be installed, mainly the smaller weapons and the two aircraft.

The aircraft still need some decals (not my favorite job, working with decals...tend to fumble them...)

Installing of the small stuff starts...

...and as so often, even simple installation of the weapons bears its dangers

This one went into a somewhat hidden position, touch ups still needed...

Half way...

...and getting there. I was tempted to leave the bigger ones (pompoms and triples) turnable but in the end decided to glue them all in place.

All right, I call this one finished after only just over two years... I started on 1 Feb 2013, but since then I had to move twice, had some period of quite intense work and a period of easily two month after my last move in June 14 where I almost could not fine any motivation to continue. So under normal circumstances I would estimate a year of building with my personal pace. So that should allow me to participate in the cruises campaign

I did not do any weathering this time, I am not much of an artist, so my weathering skills are not quite there yet, have to do some training. And I figured my REPULSE might not be the perfect object for experimenting
so I applied a coat of glossy clear to blend in all the painting done over the last to years and to provide some protection and finally a dull coat, a little bit as a filter. That stands out on some pictures due to too hard and direct light but is fine to the naked eye.

I make a break here in order to not to lose this and start a new entry with my finishing pictures.

JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 10:42 PM UTC
And now the final pictures!!

Again thanks to all for bearing with me over that build and for all your support and encouragement!!

...and off we go!

No, that's not her final destination, and not her final stand, either. To be honest, at this point I am not entirely certain of HMS REPULSE's final destination, but an honorable place will be found, next to my HMS PRINCE OF WALES.
What I am going to do in any event is taking some more - and hopefully better - pictures, once REPULSE arrives my second home, where PoW is sitting, of both major Force Z units together. I will post them in due time, but be patient, it will take a few weeks.

For now it's good by from building HMS REPULSE, but of course the next project is waiting. Before that there will be some refurbishing to the shipyard needed, and in a few weeks building of HMS BELFAST will commence, since Si allowed started builds for his campaign. No worries, at my pace it will not be a real head start, and I already know that I won't be able to work on BELFAST for about two months between mid May and end June due to business traveling. Something I really look forward to, but it'll keep me off the workbench...

For now, thanks for looking!!! and

Jan

TimReynaga
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 11:16 PM UTC
Hi Jan,

You read my mind! I was thinking as I scrolled through the final photos that such a magnificent model needed a suitable stand to set it off.

This has been one great build, I've enjoyed following along. Thanks for posting it!

Blespooky
Visit this Community
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel
Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 12:15 AM UTC
Jan, thanks for telling us your build story. I hope you have some champagne, cheers and a toast in you honor. Inspiring work.

Bryan
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,481 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,332 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 12:22 AM UTC
Jan

Absolutely stunning work. I have enjoyed following you along this journey. Thanks for providing me some lessons along the way

Look forward to watching you as you build the Belfast

Thanks for sharing this with us all

Dave
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 01:55 PM UTC
Superb work, Jan!

Definitely you deserve a few to mark the commissioning of a very fine build!

Yep, definitely wouldn't be weathering her-she looks great in the nice clean museum style you've built her in!

Bring on the Belfast, mate!

Russ
mgrummitt
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 133 posts
Model Shipwrights: 105 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 08:41 PM UTC
Great build!! I'm looking forward to your next one as well!

Cheers!!
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2015 - 02:12 AM UTC
Hi Jan,

Congratulations, splendid build, I have been taking notes for my own build of this fine ship.

Thank you for sharing, I have enjoyed following your progress.

Cheers.

Si