Ships by Class/Type: Military Small Craft
For topics on PT boats, landing craft, Vietnam riverine, etc.
Channel Adversaries
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Monday, September 09, 2013 - 05:29 AM UTC
Interesting to see your build progress. Looking extremely good Warren, cosy little wheelhouse, you can nearly smell the Woodbine smoke and cocoa
Gremlin56
Posted: Monday, September 09, 2013 - 06:36 AM UTC
Blue hull patches are on and drying, photos tomorrow.
DanielMoscatelli
Visit this Community
Montevideo, Uruguay
KitMaker: 998 posts
Model Shipwrights: 941 posts
Posted: Monday, September 09, 2013 - 08:21 AM UTC
Well friends I see that they are taking fuell of plane!!!
I leave them one day and finish the post without my!!!!! Jajajaja
The friend Speed Warren McQuen this on fire!!!
Excellent work friend!!!
They give me desire of guarding my S-100 in the clothier again!!!

Thankfully Julian this one very entertained with his new toy "Nikon"...

The past question .. for the service station in the corner. Jajaja I was walking along the street of his house thanks to the Google map!!!!
Have taken care that 2 containers of waste of the back court are full!! Lamentably I could not find the shipyard of "Bospers" to bombard!!!!---

Regards to all
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Monday, September 09, 2013 - 08:39 AM UTC
Julian, Daniel, Warren,

Great wok guys, really impressive builds, the atrention to detail is breathtaking.

Following with much interest.

Si
Longshanks8
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 430 posts
Model Shipwrights: 390 posts
Posted: Monday, September 09, 2013 - 10:05 AM UTC
The three of you are maintaining a very high standard !!

" Kev, there is only one way to get experienced in PE and that is to use it. " Quote from Warren

Sticking my toe in water with simple etch on MAS plus Aber etch set for Breda 20/65. Which bring s me to my question, what make / style of 'etch mate' due you guys use for forming PE. There are a lot out there...some quite expensive!

Steep learning curve on this boat I'm also trying to learn how to use an airbrush, hence lack of postings

Cheers Kev
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Monday, September 09, 2013 - 10:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The three of you are maintaining a very high standard !!

" Kev, there is only one way to get experienced in PE and that is to use it. " Quote from Warren

Sticking my toe in water with simple etch on MAS plus Aber etch set for Breda 20/65. Which bring s me to my question, what make / style of 'etch mate' due you guys use for forming PE. There are a lot out there...some quite expensive!

Steep learning curve on this boat I'm also trying to learn how to use an airbrush, hence lack of postings

Cheers Kev

That would be an almost vertical curve mate!!
95% pf my folding is done using tweezers and/or The Bug, from 'The Small Shop'. I also have a 5 Speed Hold and Fold tool from them for larger jobs. Then I have a Large Cut Off setlarge and a Small Cutoff Set set and their Rolling Set is awesome as well. These are all available from The Small Shop or other places. Sorry if it sounds like an ad for the place but their stuff is excellent.
As to actually cutting the PE off the frets I use a large, round blade Exacto style knife (eg Excel #20022) and a set of needle files I have had for about 30 years now.
I also use the needle files to sharpen the knife blade every
day or so so I don't have to keep inserting new blades.
If you want I may be able to get together a quick intro to using the PE tools but I am sure they are out there already. Oh I almost forgot, I had to use flat nosed pliers for the structural parts of the flying bridge as the folds were very close together.
Adapt, overcome etc etc
Cheers mate
Warren
Gremlin56
Posted: Monday, September 09, 2013 - 04:15 PM UTC
The 5 speed hold and fold: great piece of kit. I use Olfa knives and blades to cut the pieces from the sprues and trim the burs with hobby scissors or a PE cutter.
As far as airbrushes go I did a review on the Badger Krome here some where.
Gremlin56
Posted: Monday, September 09, 2013 - 04:17 PM UTC
Hi Daniel, that is not a gas station, that is my neighbours farm
DanielMoscatelli
Visit this Community
Montevideo, Uruguay
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2013 - 04:21 AM UTC
Thank you very much friends Simons and Kev. The PE are a necessary evil!! Jajaja but often they intimidate the modeler. The secret of them is ... to face it to try the better of our part and to entrust us the God !!! Jajaja Especially I use the same tools that my adversaries but I use a Diamond filer to extract surplus.

Often the manufacturer of PE suggests parts change of kit and the modeler decides that to do. In this case the change of the grating of them safe lives does not add anything!! But fill spaces in PE's plates!!!!

continuara ........ Kev ...SSSHHHH IWATA is beter !!!
DanielMoscatelli
Visit this Community
Montevideo, Uruguay
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2013 - 04:30 AM UTC
Well, some advances of painting and weathering .......

and the base color of decks ....

Daniel
Longshanks8
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2013 - 05:02 AM UTC
Thanks for your thoughts guys. I will need some time to take it all in - now off to work

Daniel I have the Iwata Neo CN just need to work out which end to hold

I love the colour effect you have on your schnellboot on the round of the torpedo deck. Is that done by pre shading?

Warren thank you for your thoughts and kind offer to do an intro.. I found this and it seems to cover the basics.

http://www.scalemodelguide.com/construction/techniques/photo-etched-parts-models/

Thanks again all, keep up the good work

Kev
Gremlin56
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2013 - 06:18 AM UTC
Neo CN:
http://modelshipwrights.kitmaker.net/review/7266

Nice beginners airbrush

Looking great Daniel, I see you are going for a hard worked and salt caked boat The Eduard PE really adds some nice details to the basic Italeri build.
My Krome got rather caked up using the Lifecolour paints yesterday so I am going to give my airbrushes a quick bath in my ultrasonic cleaner................
Gremlin56
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2013 - 06:25 AM UTC
Thanks Simon, glad you approve of the antics going on here
You have a selection of very nice builds going yourself at the moment
DanielMoscatelli
Visit this Community
Montevideo, Uruguay
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2013 - 06:32 AM UTC
I must admit that I am very des prolixly with my IWATA!!! Even this one with the yesterday painting!! I hate to clean!!! My Iwata are An Eclipse line HP-BS and HP BCS two warriors !!!

ultrasonic cleaner. you are play in the NASA team .

Regads Daniel
Gremlin56
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2013 - 06:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

ultrasonic cleaner. you are play in the NASA team .

Regads Daniel

No, it's an el cheapo that I bought about 4 years ago, certainly not NASA quality. It does great work cleaning the airbrushes though and a quick dab of grease on the needle and some liquid gasket on the seals and everything keeps running smoothly.
Gremlin56
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2013 - 06:55 AM UTC
Squeaky clean and still extremely underwhelming with a long way to yet:

next step some more masking and the black antifouling,
DanielMoscatelli
Visit this Community
Montevideo, Uruguay
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2013 - 07:09 AM UTC
YEEEESssss, it is A Rock and roll!!!!

Well. I go away to the Centenary Stadium to seeing Uruguay and Colombia for the eliminating ones of football Arrives Uruguay... Suarez, Cavanni and Forlan!!! Jejejeje

cannot lose!!!!
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2013 - 08:24 AM UTC
Hi all.
First up before I forget the instructions for the flying bridge are incorrect, N1 and N2 have been swapped around in the Griffon illustrations.
I was using the same airvrush for the last 4 years or so, a Premair 103 (I think)m but then I got lucky and Brandon at Pacific Front offered me a shop display Harder & Steenbeck Evolution, that normally retails for $153, for a very small amount. I got it and it sat in my draw for about 12 months until I pulled it out the other day for a try.. I am never going back to the Premair unless this one fails. Chalk and cheese. Needs about half the pressure of the Premair and is smooth as silk.
But enough of that and here are a few photos. The only thing that has been a bit if a pain so far has been the flying bridge surround ad all its PE. Here are all the components for it already folded and ready for assmbly..

Then we have the assembled pieces..

And then after quite a few hours of work including a patch where the air over the bench turned very blue, the final assembly..

Now we will see how it fits. Maybe the plastic and PE Italeri version will get a run yet!
The we have the smoke generator that sits on the stern..

And that;s it for now. Lots of other little vents etc have been built and filled to get rid if the infernal interior seams. Why not produce the intake funnels in one piece Italeri? Dragon seem to have no trouble doing it.
But enough for now.
Cheer all
Warren

Gremlin56
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2013 - 04:14 PM UTC
That looks like a fun to build addition to the bridge Warren Hope it fits after all that work mate
DanielMoscatelli
Visit this Community
Montevideo, Uruguay
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2013 - 04:29 PM UTC
Tremendous work!! Warren !!!

Well Uruguay 2 Colombia 0 jejej

Regards Daniel
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2013 - 06:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

That looks like a fun to build addition to the bridge Warren Hope it fits after all that work mate

Luckily I must have got it close to right as it does fit..

Thank you Daniel.

And on to the update. I had to make a decision today on whether to super detail the depth charges or not. This involved removing lots of raised deck detail that I had not realised until after I had installed the wheelhouse and flying bridge. After a short deliberation I took the plunge and started removing plastic..

.. which of course left gaping holes in the deck..

So I cut up one of the cabinet assemblies I would not be using and glued plastic sheet over the back of the holes. Then I filled the holes with putty and it can dry overnight.

The very delicate planking texture has of course been destroyed..
Here is the flying bridge in position Julian and as you cna see it does fit!

I will wait until I have painted it before installing it.
And finally Griffon provide brass strip with bolt heads on them to run around the base of the wheel house and other places I have not discovered as yet.
That's it for now.
Thanks for looking
Warren
Longshanks8
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2013 - 07:14 PM UTC
Ouch! That took confidence

Kev
Gremlin56
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 - 03:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Luckily I must have got it close to right as it does fit..

Thank you Daniel.

And on to the update. I had to make a decision today on whether to super detail the depth charges or not. This involved removing lots of raised deck detail that I had not realised until after I had installed the wheelhouse and flying bridge. After a short deliberation I took the plunge and started removing plastic..

.. which of course left gaping holes in the deck..

So I cut up one of the cabinet assemblies I would not be using and glued plastic sheet over the back of the holes. Then I filled the holes with putty and it can dry overnight.

The very delicate planking texture has of course been destroyed..
Here is the flying bridge in position Julian and as you cna see it does fit!

I will wait until I have painted it before installing it.
And finally Griffon provide brass strip with bolt heads on them to run around the base of the wheel house and other places I have not discovered as yet.
That's it for now.
Thanks for looking
Warren

You are scaring the s***s out of me Warren you madman. Compliments for the job well done though,
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 - 08:10 AM UTC
Don't worry mate! Just jump right in and destroy stuff.
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,244 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 - 09:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Don't worry mate! Just jump right in and destroy stuff.

Unfortunately, when I destroy stuff during a build it is usually (1) unintentional, (2) often the same piece multiple times, (3) not easily repairable, and (4) so darn frustrating. A one step forward, two steps back kinda build. Al (PS) Great build by the way.