Ships by Class/Type: Military Small Craft
For topics on PT boats, landing craft, Vietnam riverine, etc.
Channel Adversaries
Longshanks8
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 430 posts
Model Shipwrights: 390 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2013 - 07:04 AM UTC
I am glad

Thought it better to say something

As Warren said its looking great, is the Accurate Armour one?

warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2013 - 08:09 PM UTC
Hi Everyone.
I am firmly into the tedious part of the build where you add lots of detail to a small area that you probably won't ever see again after you put the roof on. And making wire conduits out of brass wire is also tedious.. But I digress and on with the update for Monday, the 2nd day of Spring here in Australia..

That is about as far as I am going with the dash board in the wheelhouse. The binoculars bin is way too shallow as is the map bin.. but oh well.. its just between you and me..
Then we get to the back wall of the wheelhouse that is also the front wall of the flying bridge. As you can see the plastic detail is pretty good and with a few washes and a splash of paint it could look pretty good..

But this is Warren doing this build and I am addicted to PE so all that plastic detail gets removed..

Then you make up a few little assemblies..

And then you fold up a few nice support brackets and attach it all the the plastic like so..

And that is, as they say in the classics, it for now. This is the first evening I have been without my friendly shoulder and arm pain since March, but that is because I had a injection in the joint that had local anesthetic in it..
So hopefully I might get some sleep tonight before it wears off..
Cheers for now
Warren

surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,212 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2013 - 10:10 PM UTC
That is some fantastic work you have done Warren.....Cheers mark
DanielMoscatelli
Visit this Community
Montevideo, Uruguay
KitMaker: 998 posts
Model Shipwrights: 941 posts
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2013 - 02:32 AM UTC
Hello my friend!! What passing that you need sedatives?? You must do as Julian .... hide a bottle of brandy with Thiner's label for paintbrushes.
Well. remaining beautiful this cabin ..... and I cannot imagine armed with Italeri Vosper without this PE set!!!!!

Regards Daniel
DanielMoscatelli
Visit this Community
Montevideo, Uruguay
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2013 - 02:37 AM UTC
Julian this one as dog and two tails!!!! Already a time it wanted to see his Oerlikon finish!!! Jajjaja realy adjoins. I wait that alone they shoot flowers at the enemy ......

Great job friend
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2013 - 02:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello my friend!! What passing that you need sedatives?? You must do as Julian .... hide a bottle of brandy with Thiner's label for paintbrushes.
Well. remaining beautiful this cabin ..... and I cannot imagine armed with Italeri Vosper without this PE set!!!!!

Regards Daniel

Hi Daniel.
I am still recovering from a stomach ulcer so any strong alcohol is out of the question at the moment. I am a whiskey lover normally, but we also have many many good beers in Australia.
The instructions are not always 100% clear but with the help of some photos I am slogging along..
Cheers Daniel
Warren
Longshanks8
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2013 - 03:58 AM UTC
The wheelhouse is shaping up beautifully, very impressive.

Hope you get your nights sleep

Cheers Kev
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2013 - 06:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Julian this one as dog and two tails!!!! Already a time it wanted to see his Oerlikon finish!!! Jajjaja realy adjoins. I wait that alone they shoot flowers at the enemy ......

Great job friend

Thank you Daniel, glad you approve
Cheers,
Julian
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2013 - 07:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The wheelhouse is shaping up beautifully, very impressive.

Hope you get your nights sleep

Cheers Kev

G'Day Kev.

Thanks for the encouragement. The back wall is coming along very smoothly except for the little holder thingy that sacrificed itself to the carpet monster. I saw it fall from the tweezers but after that it just disappeared. Oh well. you won't even see the area when it is finished except with mirrors and flashlights..

Thanks again,
Warren

warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2013 - 07:11 AM UTC
Julian, sober up will you!

A bit of advice, if you haven't already got some 2.00mm plastic rod get some as you need it during the Wheelhouse upgrade and it is not supplied in the kit.

Cheers mate
Warren
DanielMoscatelli
Visit this Community
Montevideo, Uruguay
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2013 - 01:09 PM UTC
Hello friends, looking for information I meet the recent Winner of the on-line contest of Italeri Ships's official site.. My congratulations to the Colleague modeler. and here I share ......

I wish could approach this result!!

Regards Daniel
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,169 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,597 posts
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2013 - 01:53 PM UTC
Thanks for sharing Daniel it looks real nice from that picture.

I am confident your effort will surpass this.

Certainly the way its shaping up thus far.

Cheers

Sean
DanielMoscatelli
Visit this Community
Montevideo, Uruguay
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2013 - 02:27 PM UTC
Sean friend I pay the drinks!!! ....
Is a very good work. I will have to strain....

Regards Daniel
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2013 - 06:42 PM UTC
G'Day Everyone!
Well it is that time of the day again and after a hard day slaving away in the dry dock I have some photos for you all.
I did take abut six photos of this as I built up the various details on the back wall of the wheelhouse, but here is the completed item before I painted it..

The white paipe on the bottom of the box above the desk is loose so I can raise it to paint the bench properly. When it is painted I will just drop it in the damp paint and hopefully it will stay in place.. hopefully..
Just an example of the detail, here are the brass parts to make a small reading lamp that is above the desk..

After bending and assembling I had cut a piece of plastic rod for the tube and here is the completed item..

Oh and I almost forgot, the carpet monster must have still been full from the Hood as I found that little holder thingy this morning that I thought had been sacrificed.
Then we have n upside-down roof for the wheelhouse showing the PE window surrounds and clearview wipers already attached to the film provided with the PE set that shows exactly where the clearview stuff goes.

And finally, here are the two motors and drive belt mechanisms for the clear view devices before I painted them. Both consist of at least 10 parts both in brass and plastic rod for the pulleys and motor bodies. Will install them tomorrow as I painted them by brush this afternoon. I also touched up the window surrounds.

I just realised that I have made a mistake with the motors and am going to go back to the bench and correct them. That's it for now. I would rather be at work earning money than sitting at home, but I am making the most of it.
Cheers everyone
Warren
Longshanks8
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2013 - 08:02 PM UTC
Hi Warren,

Sitting here absolutely gob smacked at the detail you are achieving in the wheelhouse.

I would love to have a go at this but I know I need more practise with photo etch.

The three of you are doing a great job

TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,244 posts
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2013 - 09:17 PM UTC
Great work Warren, that PE set does provide a lot of extra good looking detail. Al
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2013 - 09:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Warren,

Sitting here absolutely gob smacked at the detail you are achieving in the wheelhouse.

I would love to have a go at this but I know I need more practise with photo etch.

The three of you are doing a great job

G'Day Kev.

This large scale lends itself to extra detailing quite well. I am used to 1/350 scale ships and this is a real eye opener.

Thanks for the compliments

Regards
Warren
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2013 - 09:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Great work Warren, that PE set does provide a lot of extra good looking detail. Al

G'Day Al!

Thanks for that and I am happy you are enjoying the build,

Regards
Warren
alross2
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 317 posts
Model Shipwrights: 308 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2013 - 11:30 AM UTC
For Kriegsmarine fans, a new Schnellboot In Action by Dave Krakow is being released this month. It's quite different from the earlier version with lots of new photos and (if Squadron hasn't screwed them up) some excellent weapons perspective drawings.

Al Ross
DanielMoscatelli
Visit this Community
Montevideo, Uruguay
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2013 - 01:38 PM UTC
Thanks Al Ross !!! This it is a very good news!!! Incredibly I could never buy Schnelboot inaction Out Stock ...I have in pdf...... Apparently here!! For the advances in details of my two adversaries I will have to do to me of all them.. In Action!!!

Daniel
DanielMoscatelli
Visit this Community
Montevideo, Uruguay
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2013 - 03:39 PM UTC
After many comings and goings to the lake of the park when the new ideas prove in RC any term as already forward ... in a species of bonfire Vikings. ......

The assistant and companion of the madnesses of the father!! Jajaj My son Joaquin

Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,169 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,597 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2013 - 04:46 PM UTC
Way cool Daniel.

I like your able assistant.

Go "Team S-100"

Al - I see that new book publicised I am very interested in seeing the differences and value in it etc.

Cheers

Sean
Longshanks8
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2013 - 07:01 PM UTC
Hi Daniel,

That looks painful - did you get away without any damage to boat?

Kev
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2013 - 08:26 PM UTC
I have built many Radio Control models over the years and know better than to convert a highly detailed model into a radio-control one..
Anyway, here is todays update. I started in the right hand part of the flying bridge. This is what you get from Italeri..

Add the grab handle to those two locating holes and that is the extent of the detail. Not bad for plastic but Griffon provides quite a bit more detail for the area. So first job is to remove all the Italeri detail..

Mustn't forget the other side. Hate to get all the detail done on one side and have to try and remove itfrom the other..

Then the PEing begins..

Just a couple of parts there and that control box. Then I started to construct the parts to replace the plastic lockers..

As you can see just a little more detailed, I think busy looking is a good term.
And Julian, just to prove that I don't tidy my bench up more than once a week..

And finally, a large box was delivered by our lovely post lady this morning and this was in it..

This thing is far more heavily armed than the Vosper and they give you metal barrels for a few of the guns!!
That's it for now,
Regards
Warren
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2013 - 09:48 AM UTC
Does anyone have any idea where I may get a few charts to put on the desk and in the locker?
Cheers
Warren