Ships by Class/Type: Military Small Craft
For topics on PT boats, landing craft, Vietnam riverine, etc.
Channel Adversaries
TheModeller
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 127 posts
Model Shipwrights: 43 posts
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2013 - 08:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Let's not rewrite history without proper documentation, gentlemen... In the late 1970s, I had the honor of corresponding with CAPT Peter Dickens, CO of MTB 234 and SO of the 21st MTB Flotilla. In a letter dated 3FEB78, he confirmed the triple rudder arrangement, indicating that originally there were only two. In his book NIGHT ACTION, pp. 167, 229, and a few others, he talks about the triple rudder arrangement and its effect on handling.

Al Ross

Not my intent to re-write any history Al, I've never had the privilege of speaking to Peter Dickens directly and I don't have a copy of his book, my main area of interest is these Vospers is their service in the Med. I've read Popes 'Flag 4' and Reynolds 'Meditteranean MTBs at War'

The reference I do have indicates that the third rudder was an improvement introduced on later batches of boats than 234, thats from John Lamberts book which includes your drawing along with two others by John of other boats which don't show a third rudder.

I've never seen anyone mention a retro-fit in any of my references but they all cover ops in the Med, none of them make any mention of a third rudder being fitted to boats in service.

Perhaps it was a specific mod made to 234, does Dickens refer to the same fit on any other boats under his command?

I'm not trying to re-write anything, I'm trying to find out whats right, as much for my own interest as it is a contribution to the thread.
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2013 - 09:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Right I'm a positive mine of information this morning

All the above from Allied Coastal Forces, an invaluable reference book. Volume two covering Vosper MTB, and the Elco boats. Volume one covers the Fairmile range, 72' Habour Defence Launch and 110' US Sub Chasers.

Cheers Kev

I'll have to see if I can get hold of these Kev, definately a mine of information. What did the "Lockheed valves" do exactly?
Cheers,
Julian
Gremlin56
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2013 - 09:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Kev.

I found that photo too and have tried ny hand at some wood-grain. I tried the same technique I use with WW1 aircraft, but I am a bit out of practice. First up I spray Tamiya XF-59 on all the wooden areas...

Once that is dry I use powdered pigments to get some gain going, but don't want to overdo it. Bit hard to see..

Then I overspray with clear orange..

Then I started to add a dark wash to tone the colour down..

I will keep adding dark washes until I am happy with the colour. Must remember you won't see any of this except through the windows when it is finished. If I am not totally happy with it I can just paint it all grey as the instructions suggest.
I am sure that if the wood got all scratched up by binoculars etc they would just paint it grey.
Cheers all
Warren

Used the Buff and Clear orange technique on some of the sailing ships I built. Have never seen the pigment trick added to it though. Looks good.
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2013 - 10:30 PM UTC
You are too kind Julian. Every boat would have had different colour wood due to age, exposure (little in the wheelhouse) and type of stain used. If i was building it again I would use a darker base if I wanted to match the photo.

Cheers for now
Warren
Gremlin56
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2013 - 10:49 PM UTC
The Tamiya Buff with a "Van Dyke brown" oil wash and then clear varnish might work too. Nice to have two different dashboards on one build, (even if you won't see much of the wheelhouse).
Removed by original poster on 08/31/13 - 20:11:44 (GMT).
Gremlin56
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2013 - 12:37 AM UTC
Starting work on deck fittings and depth-charge racks. I couldn't resist starting on the Oerlikon:

TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,244 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2013 - 03:32 AM UTC
Great work everybody, very informative as well as entertaining. Al
DanielMoscatelli
Visit this Community
Montevideo, Uruguay
KitMaker: 998 posts
Model Shipwrights: 941 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2013 - 05:15 AM UTC
Hello friends! .....Congratulations KEV!!!!
Wooow it if that is great materially!!!!
Every first learn something new!!!
I tape-worm a personal idea on these valve wheels but insurance Warren me was going to challenging ... jajajja but on the hooks of below it was possible to hang the towel and the soap ...

Woooww friend Warren that good effect of secondhand wood!!! Incredible!!! This room of control has smell of salt!!!
Regards Daniel
DanielMoscatelli
Visit this Community
Montevideo, Uruguay
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2013 - 05:28 AM UTC
Or I delay in writing very much my Tarzan English. Or in this blog they go very fast !!!
Julian that good decision to use the metals barrels!!! I am very annoyed by my barrels!!! The set in metal is very expensive and choose to use the Eduards PE for the fire-extinguishers of 37 mm and 20 mm ........ throw everything for a side and I am extracting my fury bathing the dog!!!!

Daniel
DanielMoscatelli
Visit this Community
Montevideo, Uruguay
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2013 - 06:20 AM UTC
Well ..... some photos taken a time ago ... before that was lighting fire in the way of the lake in one of the tests of seamanship .... if they can laugh calm. Any term with my humanity in the way of the lake rescuing my devilish S-boat!!! The conclusions ........ sabotage perpetrated by envoys of my enemies of Blog!!!

And the the first tries in the Channel under the attentive look of the secret alloyed services

:| First we steal the bank more nearby with my son and with the booty we fill the tank of the transport.....

We spend moment of so-surplus to almost to be attacked by a destroyer of the coastal service...

After a few tests, we extract the conclusion that we had many more for working jajaja ... for whom they do not know the big Foot of the plains of the Uruguay....

to be continue

alross2
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 317 posts
Model Shipwrights: 308 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2013 - 06:51 AM UTC
It appears that other boats in the 21st MTB were fitted with the triple rudders, as well. On page 158, he writes: "Dumbflow silencers and triple rudders were approved to be fitted and available; that was great news and it was no wrench to withdraw boats from operations for the work to be done..." On page 167, he writes, "Our triple rudders reduced our turning circles by much more than a third through some freak of hydrodynamics..." He consistently uses plurals; thus the impression that other boats were so fitted.

NIGHT ACTION is a good read and you might be able to acquire a copy through interlibrary loan.

Al Ross
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2013 - 07:31 AM UTC
Congratulations on a successful maiden voyage Daniel.
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2013 - 10:36 AM UTC
Some more progress was made overnight and this morning.
First up we have a couple of oars for the raft..

Then I finally finished the raft, Carley float whatever..

Well I thought it was finished until I saw that the grey needs a bit of touching up.. I used Ezy-line for the 'rope' as the one supplied in the kit is too thick to fit through the eyelets, or did I just make the eyelets too small..
Then we have some boat hooks..

Then the thing that has me a bit peed off at the moment. While trying to mask up the wheelhouse so I can paint the grey colour and not paint the wood I went to use the Ganze masking liquid I have here, but it is way too thick to use properly. I have bought two jars of the stuff and both have been the same. Don't buy it whatever you do. Better off using Humbrol Maskol which I am going to try and buy at the LHS later today, Father's Day here in Australia.I have put the wheelhouse on the back burner until I can get some Maskol and do a better masking job.
That's it for now,
Cheers all and Happy Father's Day to all the fathers in Australia,
Warren
Longshanks8
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 430 posts
Model Shipwrights: 390 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2013 - 10:48 AM UTC
Congratulations on your launch.

Can you tell us what motors and batteries you used or is it a secret

Cheers Kev
DanielMoscatelli
Visit this Community
Montevideo, Uruguay
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2013 - 12:15 PM UTC
Thank you very much Warren!!!!! Only absent Champagne's
bottle!!

Friend KEV ... I clarify first that not nothing on RC and the made thing is of dared!!! For what I could know 3 engines (Brushes) they are Type 550 and batteries ... the first one that it uses was a lipo 7,2 v 5000mh and inflate as a globe!!!!! But now I am proving a lipo 11.1v for 2 external engines and a NiMh 7,2v 4600mah for the head office. The idea is his normal navigation is with the head office and in case of ambush the day pupils use to wet it facing the enemy!!! ... in these tests it is that fire lit the external controls of speed ... already they will see photos!!!

Regards
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,212 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2013 - 03:15 PM UTC
Well done on the Maiden Voyage Daniel. All of you are doing some lovely work in this Thread.....Cheers mark
Gremlin56
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2013 - 04:43 PM UTC
Have you tried This as a source for metal barrels?
http://www.modellbau-schatton.privat.t-online.de/html/preisliste.html
Robert has a set of 3 20mm barrels and 1 37mm barrel for about 21 euro's, excellent quality too.

The netal barrel is a must for the Oerlikon, in plastic the recoil spring doesn't show up at all
Congratulations on the succesful maiden voyage of the S-100,
Cheers,
Julian
Gremlin56
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2013 - 04:47 PM UTC
Nice work on the float Warren, looks better with real line instead of the moulded on stuff. Have you tried artists masking fluid instead of Maskol? I use it because you get about 4 times as much for the same price as Maskol while it is basically the same liquid.
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2013 - 10:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice work on the float Warren, looks better with real line instead of the moulded on stuff. Have you tried artists masking fluid instead of Maskol? I use it because you get about 4 times as much for the same price as Maskol while it is basically the same liquid.

Hi Julian
I read about some stuff called Wondermask but it turns out to be either too expensive or they won't ship it here. Then I looked your stuff up and it is not that much cheaper than Maskol over here.. I paid $8.95 for some today so I won't be needing anymore for a while I don't think.
Thanks for the tip though,
Cheers
Warren
Gremlin56
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2013 - 11:29 PM UTC
The Italeri Oerlikon with metal barrel turned out very nicely:

I scratched up a strengthening plate under the Oerlikons mount and used a punch and die to make some bolts.
Now back to the depth charge mounts
Gremlin56
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2013 - 02:59 AM UTC
Depth charge rack supports:

Spent the afternoon carving off the old supports, (and chunks of fingers), leaving gaping great holes which have to be filled before the PE supports can be fitted:

This driving me nuts: I have had rulers alongside, calipers to measure the distance between the supports and it still looks skew-whiff. I am going to have a glass, (or two), of an excellent Pays-D'Oc Rosé I ran into in an excellent wine merchants and let things dry before doing another round of measuring.

Isn't this just beautifull? A Vosper was made for an single or twin Oerlikon on the bow position, ( like women were designed to wear pumps), why couldn't Italeri work this out? Italy invented the stilleto heel for cripes sake.
A 20mm OOB would have sold more of this model than you can imagine.........

Longshanks8
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 430 posts
Model Shipwrights: 390 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2013 - 05:54 AM UTC
Hi Julian,

I don't want to make waves but!

The position your showing for the oerlikon doesn't tally with the references I have.

Cheers Kev
Gremlin56
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2013 - 05:57 AM UTC
your are not making waves. the 20mm isn't stuck down yet.
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2013 - 06:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Isn't this just beautifull? A Vosper was made for an single or twin Oerlikon on the bow position, ( like women were designed to wear pumps), why couldn't Italeri work this out? Italy invented the stilleto heel for cripes sake.
A 20mm OOB would have sold more of this model than you can imagine.........

Problem is this kit is supposed to be of an early Vosper, remember it is the early armament scheme. Maybe, like their PT boats, they are going to bring out another version later...

Gun looks very nice by the way.

Regards
Warren