Ships by Class/Type: Military Small Craft
For topics on PT boats, landing craft, Vietnam riverine, etc.
Channel Adversaries
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 04:33 AM UTC
Isn't it typical Daniel, Warren moaning about doing a blog with us and then he post's photos of stellar PE work making me wonder if I can do the PE that well
He denies using Red Bull so it must be amphetamines his crew use cause his build is going like a lady banshee in heat
Loved the mines by the way, that's why I need the 20mm on the bow: to pick off the mines at a safe distance
Cheers,
Julian
darreng
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 789 posts
Model Shipwrights: 11 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 04:37 AM UTC
Beautiful work so far! I'm watching with interest.
Gremlin56
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 04:51 AM UTC
Thank you kindly Darren, don't forget to take a look at Vic's MAS build too,
cheers,
Julian
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 05:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...... Gentleman what time spends the Train Bleats?? .......... to the zzzuuuuuuuuummmm!!!!!

My god!!! Warren like that finishes the war before that it begins!!! Churchil Satisfied !!!

Very good and prolix advance!! These instructions are killing!! To fight with Italeri instructions and Lions R. .... uf is not easy
Well my friends I believe that the advantage to my favor ... already not this one!!!!!

Regards Daniel

Good morning Rear Admiral Moscatelli and Captain Sallows.

I am happy to report that the Griffon instructions are not too bad, but the PE seems to vary a bit in quality. It may be an imagined thing but the thicker PE sheets seem to have much bigger attaching points and therefore make it a bit harder to remove the parts. I have to sharpen my knife at least once a day or it gets too blunt, and I couldn't afford a new blade each day.
The round plastic stock Griffon supply isn't the best in my kit and I would be trying to order some 1.5mm round rod before you start Captain Sallow if you want smooth sailing for your build. Also the copper wire is not exactly the size the quote in their instruction, 0.27mm instead of 0.3mm. This may sound very picky but remember I am a technical person and a 10% tolerance is massive to me.
The instructions have been accurate so far but a few mistakes have crept in in the hatches regarding what size components to use on which hatch. For example PE part D9 is NOT used on the hatch within the larger hatch in the centre of the boat, Captain.
Rear Admiral (Daniel), I was going to buy myself an S-Boat a few months ago but didn't for some reason. I will keep my eyes open for one as if they are as good as the Vosper it will be worth building.
Then there are the PT boats and Italian craft...
Smooth sailing to you Captain Julian, and may your engines all seize in port Rear Admiral Daniel so you can spend more time in the tavern..
Cheers
Warren

Gremlin56
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 05:44 AM UTC
You are doing great work mate ! Looks fantastic
Cheers,
Julian
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 05:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You are doing great work mate ! Looks fantastic
Cheers,
Julian

I am but the Entree before the main meals of yours and Daniel's builds..
I am going back to bed. The pain-killers have kicked in..
Cheers mate
Warren
DanielMoscatelli
Visit this Community
Montevideo, Uruguay
KitMaker: 998 posts
Model Shipwrights: 941 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 08:48 AM UTC
Jejej the Fox can dress of lamb but it continues being a lamb!!!! Giving a monumental beating to these us!! Jajaj
to smooth the sobra of the PE I buy an excellent tool Tamiya it s a lime Diamond file # 400.
See when friend rests!!!
Daniel
DanielMoscatelli
Visit this Community
Montevideo, Uruguay
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 09:27 AM UTC
Erase you see one ........ to happened of 2010 ......

Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,169 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,597 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 01:44 PM UTC
Hi Guys

Great idea! Great challenge!

I am really looking forward to this "build fest" of torpedo boats from the "masters".

As they say "bring it on".

Cheers

Sean
Gremlin56
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 05:39 PM UTC
Hi Daniel, I see that you have a large collection of Mig's pigments. Over the years I have collected a lot of Mig's offerings, the "Doc O'Brian"weathering powders and Tamiya's weathering blocks in the little make-up style boxes. I don't really like any of them and I have messed up more models by using them than by not using them. How are your experiences with pigments and how do you apply them? I prefer using oilpaint washes and filters, and I least I can make sense of that
Sean, you are too kind, I had better get going before Daniel and Warren finish their builds
cheers,
Julian
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 06:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Guys

Great idea! Great challenge!

I am really looking forward to this "build fest" of torpedo boats from the "masters".

As they say "bring it on".

Cheers

Sean

OK Sean, I am bringing it on again..
First up, this morning I perfected my hinge technique and now I have some opening hatches on my boat.

Macro makes everything look rubbish.
And here is another hatch, an operable one, closed..

And then open!!

After having a major success with the hatches I started on some of the mushroom vents on the deck and discovered to my horror that every, single, one, of. them is like these ones..

Yep, after such a great job on everything else in this build every one of these vents has a MASSIVE sink mark right in the middle..
The putty is being given overnight to dry then I will sand them smooth. Damn the sink-mark gremlin!
That's it for now,
Cheers
Warren
Gremlin56
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 07:56 PM UTC
And so, after having carefully put his Big "B" into storage Gremlin56 arrived at a small shipyard in Holland to start work on a Vosper MTB to take the battle to the dastardly Huns under command of Daniel the Black, well known for his beautiful but sneaky submarines. With only one Ally, Warren of the Outback who is currently fitting hatches to his Vosper and complaining bitterly about the king size Italeri sinkmarks on the parts he imported from Italy, Britain's fate hangs perilously in the balance:

The great adventure commences.........................
Lt.Cmdr. Gremlin56, chief cook and bottle washer, Vice something or other and apprentice shipbuilder.

Gremlin56
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 12:22 AM UTC
A small entertaining intermezzo: The amazing disappearing Vosper.

The Italeri Vosper MTB comes in a very intimidating box, it's huge:

On removal of the lid you still get no inkling of the magic that you are about to witness:

After tugging out the white cardboard hiding the contents of this box you get that stomache moving, slightly nauseous making feeling that you have witnessed something very strange inside the box, (like entering Doctor Who's Tardis phone booth and suddenly standing in a ball room but then the other way round). Things have suddenly shrunk before your eyes :

Okay, it's a beautiful hull and deck but where did all the parts go?

Removing the hull and the third sheet of cardboard you have encountered since opening the box you find, gasp!, two polythene baggies of parts cowering in a corner of the box and a single sheet of PE, all of them not specifically too full and not specifically too big:

Removal of the two bags doesn't improve the situation, there really are only two bags of parts. Nothing is hiding or lurking underneath them except some string , screws and some decals.

Now don't get me wrong here. The parts are nicely moulded and it looks good but I do get the impression that Italeri cut a lot of corners with this model, opting for the lightest armed version so they could sell the obligatory Oerlikon in a separate set, (sheesh, even the ancient Airfix 1/72nd Vosper had a bandstand and Oerlikon). The Lewis guns are not included either.Let's be honest: it's the plainest Jane Vosper possible barring only the prototype
Fear not though, chuck enough of the green stuff at this model, (cash, not lettuce), and it can be made into a respectable Vosper, ( or at least my take on a Vosper).
So, rant over, to work.

Julian
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,244 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 12:26 AM UTC

Hello Warren, those four "nubs" on the deck at the corners of that foredeck hatch should be drilled out. They represent the sockets for the frame of a removable wind dodger that could be set up over it. Al
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 01:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello Warren, those four "nubs" on the deck at the corners of that foredeck hatch should be drilled out. They represent the sockets for the frame of a removable wind dodger that could be set up over it. Al

Thanks for that Al! I am only using stuff in the box and the Griffon set for this build so any advise is good advise.

Stop whining Sallows! Obviously you missed the complex four piece stand amongst all those parts..
And yes, you are right about the reverse tardis effect. I think Italeri did well providing an outstanding base for a detailed masterpiece, after throwing lots of money at it of course. I mean even my Griffon set cost me more than the boat.. I paid $59 for the boat and $75 for the Griffon set.
And don't forget your free sink-holes, same as the holes you get when you buy donuts..
Oh and I wasn't complaining about the king-size sink-marks as such, just showing everyone what problems are lurking deep within the sprues.
Chin up Chief Cook and Bottle Washer..
Cheers
Warren

Gremlin56
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 02:19 AM UTC
I have found the sink holes................
Really deep sink holes

I need an industrial size bucket of filler for the sink holes.
DanielMoscatelli
Visit this Community
Montevideo, Uruguay
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 04:17 AM UTC
The great adventure commences.........................
Lt.Cmdr. Gremlin56, chief cook and bottle washer, Vice something or other and apprentice shipbuilder.

Excellent introduction!!!!
DanielMoscatelli
Visit this Community
Montevideo, Uruguay
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 04:25 AM UTC
Warren's doors!!! That good work!!!

My near purchase I am going to ask for help to "The kangaroo Warren!!!" ......... I buy my S-100 up to 300 U$!!!!! And 60U$ PE .... in 2010. If from this moment I speak more thin it is for that it cuts me two eg......

DanielMoscatelli
Visit this Community
Montevideo, Uruguay
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 04:36 AM UTC
Ok... Julian .... yes I have many Mig pigments, also Tamiya makeup, and also oils paints........ well is rare ... but I use the combination of all of them!!!! Jajaj depends on the model. The pigment is more rustic and walks very well in the AFV, in the big naval scales 1/35 too.
It would have to do a video!!! Jajajaj As Miguel !!

My favorite continues being of oils washes

Daniel
Gremlin56
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 05:12 AM UTC
Yes, me too Daniel, only way I can make pigments work is by making a thick muck to put on tank tracks, not really subtle.
Julian
Dragon164
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,909 posts
Model Shipwrights: 33 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 10:38 AM UTC
Great thread guys!

Warren, when I do PE hinges I use thin piano wire, I find it a lot easier to work with than the brass it does not bend as easily when working the hinges.

Cheers Rob.
RogerEP
KitMaker: 30 posts
Model Shipwrights: 27 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 12:26 PM UTC
Hello Gents,

Great thread so far, I'll be watching/noting things closely for when the time comes to start mine.

Julian the colour illustration you refer to was painted by the now late Joe Hinds from Richmond, Virginia who sadly passed away 22 April 2012. Joe was a notable artist and produced a great series of books under the titles "The Ship Killers", all about torpedo boats, so far I've been very slack in that I only have #1.

MTB 234 was skippered by LT Peter Dickens DSO MBE DSC RN great grandson of Charles Dickens. I have done '234' in 1/144th scale but yet to decide which boat to do my 1/35th one as. I also an excellent 1/72nd kit by Coastal Craft Models, no no website for them............yet.

Warren, great piccies of your progress and excellent comments re the kit and Griffon Models PE, they will help a great deal. Regarding Hobby Space, they seemed to be a tad confused about the PE set/s so I sent him the link to this thread showing the catalogue numbers, now awaiting his reply.
Warren would you kindly 'pm' me your phone number? I live in Bendigo and wouldn't mind giving you a call.

Cheers to all,
Roger P.
Allied Coastal Forces nut.
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 12:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Great thread guys!

Warren, when I do PE hinges I use thin piano wire, I find it a lot easier to work with than the brass it does not bend as easily when working the hinges.

Cheers Rob.

Hi Rob.

I use the piano wire on indi metal track links for AFVs, but this method I started using requires you to flatten the end of the wire therefore stopping it coming out of the hinge.

Thanks for the advice though as it is always welcome from more experienced PEers than myself.

Cheers mate
Warren
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 12:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello Gents,

Great thread so far, I'll be watching/noting things closely for when the time comes to start mine.

Julian the colour illustration you refer to was painted by the now late Joe Hinds from Richmond, Virginia who sadly passed away 22 April 2012. Joe was a notable artist and produced a great series of books under the titles "The Ship Killers", all about torpedo boats, so far I've been very slack in that I only have #1.

MTB 234 was skippered by LT Peter Dickens DSO MBE DSC RN great grandson of Charles Dickens. I have done '234' in 1/144th scale but yet to decide which boat to do my 1/35th one as. I also an excellent 1/72nd kit by Coastal Craft Models, no no website for them............yet.

Warren, great piccies of your progress and excellent comments re the kit and Griffon Models PE, they will help a great deal. Regarding Hobby Space, they seemed to be a tad confused about the PE set/s so I sent him the link to this thread showing the catalogue numbers, now awaiting his reply.
Warren would you kindly 'pm' me your phone number? I live in Bendigo and wouldn't mind giving you a call.

Cheers to all,
Roger P.
Allied Coastal Forces nut.

Hi Roger.

PM on its way. Basically there are two sets, the one I got and the one Julian got. His has 20+ PE sheets whereas mine has just 10 or so. His also has more resin and turned brass but costs much more than mine.

Happy to give advice and thanks for looking!
Cheers
Warren
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 12:49 PM UTC
And on another subject, I have found the S100 for just $138 plus postage. Might have to get one..
Cheers
Warren