Ships by Class/Type: Military Small Craft
For topics on PT boats, landing craft, Vietnam riverine, etc.
Channel Adversaries
Dragon164
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,909 posts
Model Shipwrights: 33 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 01:09 PM UTC
Ah,
I see I just usually glue the wire to one side of the hinge.

Cheers Rob.
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 01:18 PM UTC
I do that with the tank tracks as well, but these hinges are so small I figured I wouldn't risk the glue.. basically I wimped out!
I got the idea from the old Matchbox cars with the crimped ends of the axles to hold the wheels in place.
Cheers
Warren
(Who is going to have his first spicy pizza for six months tonight!!!!! )
DanielMoscatelli
Visit this Community
Montevideo, Uruguay
KitMaker: 998 posts
Model Shipwrights: 941 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 01:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

And on another subject, I have found the S100 for just $138 plus postage. Might have to get one..
Cheers
Warren

My dear friend!! To this price of fair ...buy now !! The Kit is very good!!! Only it is big!! 1 meter of length.

The PE Eduards dont convince me!!! They might strengthen little more.

I not where he buys and I do not want to know!!! My wife killing me !!!

Bye Daniel
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,169 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,597 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 03:18 PM UTC
Hi Daniel

I am contempalting the Eduard set.

I willw atch your build and will value your opinion on it.

Cheers

Sean
DanielMoscatelli
Visit this Community
Montevideo, Uruguay
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 03:37 PM UTC
Thank you friend Sean.!! Lacking me much to be a critic of freightage. But .... what if I can say. There are many very well successful but different pieces not so much or they forgot that the Modelista is of this planet!!! I have many PE for placing even but in many I hesitate to leave the piece italeri or the Eduards (does not compensate the work with the result) my impression is of something thrown very rapidly to corner the market

Regards Daniel
DanielMoscatelli
Visit this Community
Montevideo, Uruguay
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 03:51 PM UTC
Speaking about Eduards PE ....... and some Italeri PE ...... Warren I have doors too!!!

Continuara .....
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 04:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Speaking about Eduards PE ....... and some Italeri PE ...... Warren I have doors too!!!

They look excellent Daniel. Beautiful work as usual.

And many many thanks for that file you sent me.

Cheers
Warren
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 04:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello Gents,

Great thread so far, I'll be watching/noting things closely for when the time comes to start mine.

Julian the colour illustration you refer to was painted by the now late Joe Hinds from Richmond, Virginia who sadly passed away 22 April 2012. Joe was a notable artist and produced a great series of books under the titles "The Ship Killers", all about torpedo boats, so far I've been very slack in that I only have #1.

MTB 234 was skippered by LT Peter Dickens DSO MBE DSC RN great grandson of Charles Dickens. I have done '234' in 1/144th scale but yet to decide which boat to do my 1/35th one as. I also an excellent 1/72nd kit by Coastal Craft Models, no no website for them............yet.

Cheers to all,
Roger P.
Allied Coastal Forces nut.

Thank you for the information on the 234 Roger, I found the drawing on-line about a year ago and decided then that I would be using that scheme.I am sorry to hear that Mr. Hinds passed away. I will stick to the colours in the drawing.
Also very interesting to hear the background of the skipper of the 234.
I'll see if I can find any information on the "Ship killers" books.
Cheers,
Julian
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 07:04 PM UTC
Time for another update.
Still on the forward deck. First order of business was to modify the kit anchor. First I removed the moulded on brackets and the replaced them with PE blocks and thread tie downs. Then the two brackets that hold the head of the anchor were fashioned from PE and copper wire.

I have a little super-glue filling of one of the brackets to do.
Next up was the assembly of the first of the many vents. It is going to be fun to try and disguise the internal seams.

After I finished off the hatch I was building yesterday I pondered whether or not to apply the modification provided in Griffon set. Here is the original..

Not bad at all for plastic, but how hard is it going to be to paint the rope the correct colour and not get it all over the rest of the raft? That made up my mind and all the plastic detail will be being removed.
I started by making the four holding brackets, one for each corner..

And that is it for now. A little less progress but don't forget I am also building a Hobbycrap 1/72 Avro CF-100 for the Lottery Campaign and a Special Hobby 1/72 Blackburn Skua II for the Birds Of Prey Campaign..
And next week you will be able to catch up Julian as I am off to Surfers Paradise for the week..
Cheers all
Warren
Gremlin56
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 07:27 PM UTC
Watch out for sharks mate, don't forget you have a build to finish here
Have a good holiday,
cheers,
Julian
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 09:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Watch out for sharks mate, don't forget you have a build to finish here
Have a good holiday,
cheers,
Julian

I don't mind seeing the white pointers washed up on the beach..
Gremlin56
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 10:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't mind seeing the white pointers washed up on the beach..

Just don't go posting photos of you in your budgie smugglers, this blog would get a life long ban
Julian
TheModeller
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 127 posts
Model Shipwrights: 43 posts
Posted: Friday, August 23, 2013 - 02:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hello Gents,

Great thread so far, I'll be watching/noting things closely for when the time comes to start mine.

Julian the colour illustration you refer to was painted by the now late Joe Hinds from Richmond, Virginia who sadly passed away 22 April 2012. Joe was a notable artist and produced a great series of books under the titles "The Ship Killers", all about torpedo boats, so far I've been very slack in that I only have #1.

MTB 234 was skippered by LT Peter Dickens DSO MBE DSC RN great grandson of Charles Dickens. I have done '234' in 1/144th scale but yet to decide which boat to do my 1/35th one as. I also an excellent 1/72nd kit by Coastal Craft Models, no no website for them............yet.

Cheers to all,
Roger P.
Allied Coastal Forces nut.

Thank you for the information on the 234 Roger, I found the drawing on-line about a year ago and decided then that I would be using that scheme.I am sorry to hear that Mr. Hinds passed away. I will stick to the colours in the drawing.
Also very interesting to hear the background of the skipper of the 234.
I'll see if I can find any information on the "Ship killers" books.
Cheers,
Julian

You might want to look at this topic from when the kit was released, there are plenty of pictures and detail references in those posts that might be helpful.

http://modelshipwrights.kitmaker.net/forums/164950&ord=&page=1

The Griffon set is impressive, I've been waiting on something like that for my model!

As an aside, has anyone seen anything of the rumoured Italeri RN crew for this kit yet?
Gremlin56
Posted: Friday, August 23, 2013 - 02:41 AM UTC
Thanks Les,
that thread is familiar, I was refering to more information on the books by Joe Hind. Amazon still have a few copies evidently.
No, no sightings or news on the Italeri RN crew here in Holland.
Cheers,
Julian
DanielMoscatelli
Visit this Community
Montevideo, Uruguay
Posted: Friday, August 23, 2013 - 02:47 AM UTC
Jejejej sorry, if they want ... buy the S-100 crews and built a captured Vosper ....

Daniel
DanielMoscatelli
Visit this Community
Montevideo, Uruguay
Posted: Friday, August 23, 2013 - 02:48 AM UTC
I like this anchor!!! Seemed to a farmer's plough. Nice works with this!! Make me happy that it was serving this material you!!

Regards daniel
Gremlin56
Posted: Friday, August 23, 2013 - 02:48 AM UTC
I have been drilling holes in the Vosper for the exhaust pipes and what appear to be to cooling water vents. PE scuttles from the Griffon set have been added, they are visually nicer than the Italeri offerings. I have added some pipes inside the hull to blank off the holes and I am now starting work on the rudders. The strakes need some care to finish them off because the fit could be better.

all for the moment, after a short intermission and a quick pint at the "Rogered Rabbit" we will continue,
Julian
DanielMoscatelli
Visit this Community
Montevideo, Uruguay
Posted: Friday, August 23, 2013 - 02:57 AM UTC
Ajajajja he touches the pride to Julian and I ask thoroughly the accelerator!! Jajaja I like it!!!
Good work with the exhaut!!!

Sorry my friends but these Vospers look like boxes of floating shoes!!!......

Daniel
Gremlin56
Posted: Friday, August 23, 2013 - 03:07 AM UTC
Shoeboxes? Yes, the stern view is rather square.
I find the rudders surprisingly small on these ships.
The PE work you did on the S-100 is amazing Daniel, I see you are working inside the bow 20mm position. The locking handles on the bow position cover are brilliant, did you scratch build those? I can't believe they are from the Eduard set.
You mentiond that the Eduard PE is softish, I find that is the case in nearly all the sets I have bought from Eduard. This Griffon PE is nice to work with so far, long way to go though
Cheers,
Julian
DanielMoscatelli
Visit this Community
Montevideo, Uruguay
Posted: Friday, August 23, 2013 - 04:32 AM UTC
The secret services of the Kriegsmarine taken one photo of the movements of the enemies!!!.....

Sorry ......
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 23, 2013 - 05:12 AM UTC

Regarding the rudders, don't forget they are right in the prop wash so would have lots of water flow at all speeds if the props are turning.

That photo is very funny Daniel, but just remember who won the war..
DanielMoscatelli
Visit this Community
Montevideo, Uruguay
Posted: Friday, August 23, 2013 - 05:42 AM UTC
Yes Warren!! It is a bit of Humor!! That nobody gets angry for this please!!

Regards Daniel
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 23, 2013 - 09:45 AM UTC
Do you want the good news or the bad news? First the bad news, the postage on the S-Boat came out to over $80AUD which bought it up to more than at my local LHS. Scratch that one.. But I went to Luckymodel for a look-see and they have the two excellent 1/35 PT boats on special! I got the PT-596 (?) for just $67 plus $45 postage, much more reasonable. I threw in a new wooden deck for my 1/350 USS Hancock and it put it just over the $100USD mark which means I could redeem a 10% discount on the order.. BRILLIANT!!

SO there goes a bit more of my birthday money, the rest of which I will spend at the LHS for the S-Boat I think..

Lucky also have the PT-109 on special for about $70USD. I would have got both but postage bumped up to $95USD.. So I can get them seperately for less than together..

Cheers all
Warren
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 23, 2013 - 02:10 PM UTC
For all of you with an aversion to nudity please do not look at the following image..

Yes, a naked Carley float!!
Gremlin56
Posted: Friday, August 23, 2013 - 04:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The secret services of the Kriegsmarine taken one photo of the movements of the enemies!!!.....

Sorry ......

This is brilliant, obviously photos of our prototype Vosper taken by one of Daniel's stealth submarines when Warren and I were testing the boat near Clugton on Ditchwater, (the RN secret base, a bit like Area 51 but slightly more refined). Daniel now has photos of our top secret silent drive propulsion and we all know the dastardly Hun will over-engineer their copy and incorporate it in their S-boats...........
By the way: why does Warren get all the stripes on his uniform