Campaigns
Want to be part of a group build? This is where to start, plan, and meet about them.
Official Riverine Campaign Thread
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Model Shipwrights: 228 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 08:07 PM UTC
Steve, sounds like a fun build - and that is what it is all about in the end anyway ;o) Are you gonna make a diorama for it? Like howering above the water or something like that? It might be a little difficult to create the water effect, but would look great when finished.

Vulcan, thanks for the advice. I will go and check today, but I think the plastic will be too thick to work with. Anyway, I will see what I can find.
sahariana
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 381 posts
Model Shipwrights: 82 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 10:08 PM UTC
Hi Jesper, Steve and Steve.

Great to see that you guys are progressing so well already. Putting me to shame!

Can't wait to see the Helo Blaster, how big is she when built?

Jesper - If you are pouring the resin to a shallow depth it shouldn't be too much of a problem. I used some gel stuff in a pot for a diorama with an LVT in Suez, I think it was called e-zee water or something? Basically you heat up the pot in a bowl of very hot water and the gel becomes a liquid that can be poured, may be possible to mix in a brown paint with it at that stage.
You would need to have the model and groundwork in place prior to pouring and it might be a tad warm for the rubber tracks if you use them (would suggest using the plastic ones if this using this method). As it sets you can work in waves with a butter knife or something similar. Also it sometimes creeps up things slightly above the level of the rest of the 'gel' so you may need to go back to it as it dries with a cocktail stick to remove bits as necessary.

Take a look at these pics to see if it helps to explain a bit better
http://photos.kitmaker.net/showgallery.php/cat/500/page/2/ppuser/9159

HTH
All the best guys (and no I still haven't started on my PBR yet)

Dus
Vulcan20
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 114 posts
Model Shipwrights: 56 posts
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2007 - 07:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

All the best guys (and no I still haven't started on my PBR yet)

Dus

Dus

At least, you have PBR at home. But mine still at somewhere in the space.

My choice will be either a Seal Boat (I remember saw a dusty Dragon box years ago in my LHS) or a PBR. Tamiya PBR may be more available than Dragon Seal Boat. If I pick PBR, dare I face the challenge to convert to Mk I or just go for a Mk II? How much work will be involved to convert Mk II to Mk I?

Best Regards,
Steven Lu

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2007 - 08:27 AM UTC
the 35th scale helo is about a foot ong give or take. I have a bunch of Viet Nam soldiers as well as a Huey C gunship I built a few years ago. I may put together a diorama with all that in the future. Right now all i plan to submit for my entry is just the bird i am presently working on. I've got too many tanks and ships in the stash and a bunch of them are literally screaming at me right now...just to name a few Br52, IS-2, 350 Fletcher, 350 Yukikaze.
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 07:14 PM UTC
Hi Dus

Thanks for the advice on the resin. I am planning to use some clear resin, but not the kind you heat up. I would use a thin paste that you spread on with a wide blade and then it dries up clear. It is very easy to mix with paint and it does not ruin any plastic or ground work. I plan to add some vegetation that might simply melt if I use the other kind of resin.

I plan to visit the DIY store some time this week to look for clear plastic.
rv1963
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Model Shipwrights: 213 posts
Posted: Monday, July 23, 2007 - 01:39 AM UTC
I just signed up late i know i hope thats ok, if it is i will be building the Tamiya PBR 1/35 scale pics soon i hope. Kenny your swift looks good nice clean build so far.
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Monday, July 23, 2007 - 01:47 AM UTC
Thanks guy.
Frigate
Visit this Community
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 205 posts
Posted: Monday, July 23, 2007 - 01:59 AM UTC
Ahoy Crew,
Well, it seems everyone's project is coming along quite nicely. As usual, I'm behind the power curve. But I always love to do something different, and quite a few are modeling in the "Monster" scale of 1/35th ! Since I usually model in much smaller scales, I've finally gotten my plans scaled down to my size.

My project will be a PBR Mk II in 1/144th scale. Needless to say, this will be scratchbuilt. So we'll see how this project does or does not come out. At present, I'm planning on a small diorama type setting - nothing exotic.

Take it easy, and keep those pics coming gang. Semper Fi ...........Bruce
This post was removed.
rv1963
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 12:12 PM UTC

A few pics of my Tamiya PBR 1/35 scale. I still have lots of work to do such as adding all the weapons, canvas top, decals and several other details, i will take a lot more pics when its finished. Any and all comments welcome.
Vulcan20
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 01:02 PM UTC
Robert,

Your PBR looks good so far. Looking forward seeing more in progress pics.

Best Regards
Steven Lu
Vulcan20
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 01:23 PM UTC
I finally went to LHS and brought back the only PBR in stock. I may ask my LHS order Eduard PE set for me this weekend.

Now questions regarding to Mk I and Mk II.
Are Mk I and Mk II both 32' boats?
Mk I and Mk II front and rear deck are very different. But are the hull shape and dimension are way different or close enough for easy conversion?
The wheel house/cockpit(?) on Mk I seems have lower profile than Mk II. Will they use the same instruments and controls and interior arrangement?

Answers may help me to decide whether go for a Mk II or challenge to convert to a Mk I. Thanks in advance.

Steven Lu

Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 02:23 PM UTC
That's beautiful work Robert.
rv1963
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 03:03 PM UTC
Thanks guys i am pleased so far next decals.
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 10:23 PM UTC
Robert, that looks very good. You got a nice faded and lightly worn effect on the paint job. It will be cool when finished. Will you add figures to it or display it "bare"?

Looking forward to see more.
rv1963
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2007 - 12:45 AM UTC
Thanks Jesper i was going to use the kit figures but i have changed my mind i think i will display it bare so the weapons can be more easily seen.
Frigate
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2007 - 03:06 AM UTC
Robert,
You're PBR looks Great ! Very nice touch with the controlled weathering. Plus it gives me some great shots to use in assistance with my 1/144th scale build. Keep up the good work. Semper Fi, Bruce
rv1963
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2007 - 05:11 AM UTC
Thanks Bruce so far i am pleased with my progress as it is my first plastic boat model, a lot differnet than the wood kits i am use to.
sahariana
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2007 - 09:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I finally went to LHS and brought back the only PBR in stock. I may ask my LHS order Eduard PE set for me this weekend.

Now questions regarding to Mk I and Mk II.
Are Mk I and Mk II both 32' boats?
Mk I and Mk II front and rear deck are very different. But are the hull shape and dimension are way different or close enough for easy conversion?
The wheel house/cockpit(?) on Mk I seems have lower profile than Mk II. Will they use the same instruments and controls and interior arrangement?

Answers may help me to decide whether go for a Mk II or challenge to convert to a Mk I. Thanks in advance.

Steven Lu

Hi Steve

I had a look in the Osprey book on riverine craft and it looks like the cockpit area is smaller on the Mk1 and also some detail change on the front gun tub. Really you need to have a look at some plans to do it as the photos are small in the book.
I will see if there are anymore refs inmy books, might be worth looking at some of the veteran sites in the meantime, pretty sure PBR's are covered by some.

Looks like we are going to have a flotilla of PBR's

Dus

PS started mine at long last too!
Vulcan20
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2007 - 05:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Steve

I had a look in the Osprey book on riverine craft and it looks like the cockpit area is smaller on the Mk1 and also some detail change on the front gun tub. Really you need to have a look at some plans to do it as the photos are small in the book.
I will see if there are anymore refs inmy books, might be worth looking at some of the veteran sites in the meantime, pretty sure PBR's are covered by some.

Looks like we are going to have a flotilla of PBR's

Dus

PS started mine at long last too!

Hi Dus,

Thanks for the information. As recommended, I checked the website of River Division 531 and found out that Mk I had different hull profile than Mk II. Not an easy convertion ...
http://users.dishmail.net/cmart/pbrfeatures.html

Maybe just build a Mk II ...

Steven Lu
sahariana
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 09:52 AM UTC
[quoteHi Dus,

Thanks for the information. As recommended, I checked the website of River Division 531 and found out that Mk I had different hull profile than Mk II. Not an easy convertion ...
http://users.dishmail.net/cmart/pbrfeatures.html

Maybe just build a Mk II ...

Steven Lu[/quote]

Hi Steve

I'm building mine as a Mk2, Looks like Rob is too. Why not you too?
Granted, each of us will build the same kit, but, I bet we will finish them differently or add our own touches.
I have been test fitting some of the pieces and it looks like it will go together well, I am planning to pose it in a diorama underway. How about you?

Rob That PBR is looking very nice!

Ciao
Dus
Vulcan20
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 11:36 AM UTC
Hi Dus,

I think I will build it as a stand along Mk II for the campain.

Steven Lu
rv1963
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 11:13 AM UTC

Here are a few pics of my finished PBR unless some one finds something really wrong with it i am calling it done, overall i am pleased with the outcome as its my first campaign. I really liked this kit it went together very fast i think Tamiya did a fine job on it i have know complaints, look over the pics and feel free to make any comments.
Vulcan20
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 01:49 PM UTC
Robert,

That's a very fast and great build. I like the way you weathering the boat. The ammo belt for the single .50 Cal at the stern is very good. Can you tell me what color of paint have you used? I hope my ammo belt will turn out as good as yours.

From your photo, it seems that the ammo for the twin .50 Cal were fed directly to the machine guns. From the reference photo linked below, photo 31 shows the ammo belts for the twin .50 Cal were fed through chutes.

http://www.brownwater-navy.com/vietnam/BoatsPBR.htm

Another comments is more a personal preferrence rather than right or wrong. If I were a soldier, I prefer having stuff that I need at a place that can be easily reach. I would hang the binoculas at the corner of the armor plate instead of around the mounting pole at the other end, in which case, I have to lift the binoculas and get the strap all the way around the M-60 machine gun and make sure it's not caught by ammo belt(if fed), carrying handle and front sight to use the binoculas. Just my preferrence.

It's a great build and thanks for sharing. I think you are the first one finish your project for the campain. Cheers!

Steven Lu
Frigate
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 02:24 PM UTC
Yo Crew,
First, nice job on the PBR Robert. And my next question is.... no in-progress shots from anyone ? I just added 2 to get folks stirred up, we definitely need to get some pics in the in-progress and the completed files.
Another note: it seems we are going to have a build-off between the "Swifties" and the "Pibbers" !!! Quite a few of each seem to be planned, how is everyone's progress coming ?
Take it easy and enjoy Gang, Semper Fi .................Bruce