General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Building Revells 1/72 Flower-Class Corvette
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 01:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello Warren!I was watching your build and I must say you had done a great job. It's looking very good. I also have this kit in stash and i will build it sometime when i have the time, patience and all the little goodies required to make it look better. Speaking of which, i was thinking to write you a message and then i saw Jan's question. Yes, the gun shield artwork should represent Donald Duck dropping a depth charge, but as everyone can see the decal is not quite correct. If you go here http://www.cbrnp.com/RNP/Flower/MODELS/Revell_Flower_inbox/Revell_Flower_inbox.htm and scroll to the bottom of the page you will see how it should look like. I don't know if you can find some aftermarket decal for this or maybe some touch up with a small brush, but considering the amount of work, time and money you had put in this one, i think you should address this issue. All the best and good luck with your next build.

Hi Dragos.

Luckily it is something I can address a little later as the gun can be removed anytime, and I need a little break from the Snowberry after I finish the rigging.

I also found I made a mistake with one of the decals and need to remove it and re-apply it, which I will be doing this weekend.

Cheers and thanks
Warren
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 01:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

She is finally commissioned then Warren,

Great Job, have really enjoyed following this build.

Cheers

Si

Very close Simon.

I just need to do the rigging of the masts and some wire rope around parts of the deck. The materials for both are on their way.

Cheers
Warren
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 02:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

While I was waiting for the ladder to dry I had a look at one of the kits I have and it may be the go.. but I do have to do the HMS Victory sometime. I have had it in the stash for at least 12 years. I have a real wooden deck for her and I will get the Dafi etch sets for it. Only problem may be the rigging as the Heller instructions are a little confusing.. and there is quite a bit of rigging..

I also have a 1/96 Revell Cutty Sark who's instructions for rigging I can understand, and on a much more ambitious note a Mamoli HMS Surprise which comes with extremely clear instructions for everything.. but I think I might do a smaller plank-on-former kit before I start this marvellous kit. I have a Artesenia Latena Scottish Maid which could give me good practice. We shall see.

Then again I have HEAPS of 1/350 and 1/72 plastic kits I may have a rest with.

Decisions, decisions..
Warren

Luxury problems Warren
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 06:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

While I was waiting for the ladder to dry I had a look at one of the kits I have and it may be the go.. but I do have to do the HMS Victory sometime. I have had it in the stash for at least 12 years. I have a real wooden deck for her and I will get the Dafi etch sets for it. Only problem may be the rigging as the Heller instructions are a little confusing.. and there is quite a bit of rigging..

I also have a 1/96 Revell Cutty Sark who's instructions for rigging I can understand, and on a much more ambitious note a Mamoli HMS Surprise which comes with extremely clear instructions for everything.. but I think I might do a smaller plank-on-former kit before I start this marvellous kit. I have a Artesenia Latena Scottish Maid which could give me good practice. We shall see.

Then again I have HEAPS of 1/350 and 1/72 plastic kits I may have a rest with.

Decisions, decisions..
Warren

Luxury problems Warren

What's that saying again Russell? That's right, 'first world problem'...

Cheers
Warren
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 06:46 AM UTC
Still loving this build Warren!! Those Rafts are just off the chain! So much great detail shining through....keep up the excellent work!

As for the Victory...there are several references online that will give you more than enough information to work your way through the rigging. Also, I have a couple books on period rigging. Never an issue to scan something and send it over if it helps!
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 11:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Still loving this build Warren!! Those Rafts are just off the chain! So much great detail shining through....keep up the excellent work!

As for the Victory...there are several references online that will give you more than enough information to work your way through the rigging. Also, I have a couple books on period rigging. Never an issue to scan something and send it over if it helps!

Thanks Todd. I will keep the offer in mind.

Cheers
Warren
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 20, 2016 - 03:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello Warren!I was watching your build and I must say you had done a great job. It's looking very good. I also have this kit in stash and i will build it sometime when i have the time, patience and all the little goodies required to make it look better. Speaking of which, i was thinking to write you a message and then i saw Jan's question. Yes, the gun shield artwork should represent Donald Duck dropping a depth charge, but as everyone can see the decal is not quite correct. If you go here http://www.cbrnp.com/RNP/Flower/MODELS/Revell_Flower_inbox/Revell_Flower_inbox.htm and scroll to the bottom of the page you will see how it should look like. I don't know if you can find some aftermarket decal for this or maybe some touch up with a small brush, but considering the amount of work, time and money you had put in this one, i think you should address this issue. All the best and good luck with your next build.

Hello again Dragos.

Does this look a bit better?

Ignore the print quality. This is a re-production of the Premium Edition decal sheet which looks to be much, much better than the original release sheet. Here is the sheet in full..

I have some proper decal paper on order and when it gets here I will make some decals and touch up the picture as necessary. I also need to replace one of the K166 decals as I put it on crooked and had to remove it. Luckily if you have the right paper, a decal sheet, a computer and an Inkjet printer you can reproduce your decal sheets to cover yourself for decal boo-boos.

Snowberry is waiting for rigging materials at the moment so I started another build to fill in the time until my next 'big' build.

Cheers
Warren
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 21, 2016 - 12:52 AM UTC
Apologies Mate,

Good luck with your decal printing and rigging.

Cheers
Si
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 21, 2016 - 02:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Apologies Mate,

Good luck with your decal printing and rigging.

Cheers
Si

No apologies necessary at all Simon. I think everyone needs good luck with rigging.

Cheers
Warren
kamikaze
Visit this Community
Romania
KitMaker: 102 posts
Model Shipwrights: 20 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 08:09 PM UTC
It looks much better Warren! I can't believe Revell took the time and replaced the decals for the premium edition. Nice touch! Even if sometimes it can be a real "life saver", printing decals is somewhere at the bottom of my "to try" list, i heard so many scary stories. So, good luck with that, also with the rigging. This should go pretty easy compared with your future projects, Victory or Cutty Sark. There you will really need luck and steady hands.
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 01:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It looks much better Warren! I can't believe Revell took the time and replaced the decals for the premium edition. Nice touch! Even if sometimes it can be a real "life saver", printing decals is somewhere at the bottom of my "to try" list, i heard so many scary stories. So, good luck with that, also with the rigging. This should go pretty easy compared with your future projects, Victory or Cutty Sark. There you will really need luck and steady hands.

Yes Drago it is much much better! This is only the second time I will have done my own decals in almost 50 years of building models.

Cheers
Warren
youngtiger1
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 534 posts
Model Shipwrights: 55 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 01:57 PM UTC
Nex build? Oh I have to see this as well
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 05:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nex build? Oh I have to see this as well

Academy 1/350 HMS Warspite with Pontos set next. A bit of a rest build.

Cheers
Warren
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2016 - 03:36 PM UTC
I finally got around to my rigging using a array of materials for the task. Ez Line for some of the railings and some rigging of the mast. I used Ez Line for the wire rope around the bow as I am sure it will get touched accidently if I ever enter it in a show (highly unlikely). I used the hemp coloured thread that came with the original non-Premium for rigging of the mast and some aerials. Then I used 0.5mm Caldercraft rigging line for the wire rope around the engine bay roof.

I also got the decal paper I was waiting for and have printed out four sets of the Premium Edition decals, two on transparent and two on white decal paper.. the extra ones as I forgot to get rid of the blue colour of the Revell decal paper. I will give them a coat of clear tomorrow to seal the ink before I apply the ones I need to the ship.

I will try and get some pictures up tomorrow as the ones O tool of the rigging show very little of the rigging but lots of the rest of the ship..

Until tomorrow (maybe)
Warren.
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 01:16 AM UTC
Well it's tomorrow and here are those piccies I sort of promised. Some rigging shots..

And I made these little brackets to attach the rigging too in places..

Looks like the endless touching up will be continuing soon..

That's it for now.
Warren
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 02:06 PM UTC
First try with self printed decals..

Hmm.. note to self, don't use your airbrush to apply clear to decals.. needs a heavier coating..
cloggerdemps
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 88 posts
Model Shipwrights: 75 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 02:48 PM UTC
You're teasing us. A little photo snippet here and there. I'm looking forward to seeing the full ship!
Will you be using the Revell support stand?
I've used ez line for rigging on my corvette and have found some of my buff coloured ez line has since snapped I may have over tightened the line I think.
I found an easy way to remove any unwanted ez line was to use a hot flame very carefully.
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 10:13 PM UTC
Wow, now you are really approaching commissioning The rigging looks first class!
-and for touch ups, at least for that part you're showing there: honestly, if have seen way worse paintwork being done on stations like this in 1:1 scale...

The artwork on the 4" makes sense now - what the heck did they do to their initial decal?!? Now this will look cool - Donald Duck with a depth charge and a sub in the background

Cheers,
Jan
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 01:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You're teasing us. A little photo snippet here and there. I'm looking forward to seeing the full ship!
Will you be using the Revell support stand?
I've used ez line for rigging on my corvette and have found some of my buff coloured ez line has since snapped I may have over tightened the line I think.
I found an easy way to remove any unwanted ez line was to use a hot flame very carefully.

Hmmm.. yes Colin you know you are supposed to have very little tension on your ez line.. Maybe why it snapped.

When it is finished all will be revealed.

Cheers
Warren
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 01:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow, now you are really approaching commissioning The rigging looks first class!
-and for touch ups, at least for that part you're showing there: honestly, if have seen way worse paintwork being done on stations like this in 1:1 scale...

The artwork on the 4" makes sense now - what the heck did they do to their initial decal?!? Now this will look cool - Donald Duck with a depth charge and a sub in the background

Cheers,
Jan

Thanks Jan.

Yes, it is not far off now. If I could just get the decal on one side of the gun shield right it would be a major step.

And again, yes, Revell got the initial decal totally wrong. But if you know no different then at least it stuck well.

Cheers
Warren
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 09:47 PM UTC
I decided to remove the decals on the gun shield and try again..

Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Model Shipwrights: 173 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 10:06 PM UTC
Warren,
I've been following your build for a while-- it's looking really great and reflects a great amount of skill on your behalf-- can't wait to see it all rigged up. If I could make one suggestion regarding printing the decals-- spray your decal paper with clear flat and let them dry an hour before printing-- the clear flat won't harm the printer, and will allow the printer ink to stick better to the surface. Wait another hour for the printer ink to dry completely before clear coating with the airbrush. You can even run the decal through the printer a second time to get a deeper color this way. The best clear coat is Microsol Decal varnish if you can get it.
VR Russ
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 10:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Warren,
I've been following your build for a while-- it's looking really great and reflects a great amount of skill on your behalf-- can't wait to see it all rigged up. If I could make one suggestion regarding printing the decals-- spray your decal paper with clear flat and let them dry an hour before printing-- the clear flat won't harm the printer, and will allow the printer ink to stick better to the surface. Wait another hour for the printer ink to dry completely before clear coating with the airbrush. You can even run the decal through the printer a second time to get a deeper color this way. The best clear coat is Microsol Decal varnish if you can get it.
VR Russ

Very much appreciated Russ.

I am a newbie a this decal lark and will give your method a try. I didn't realise Micro Sol was a decal varnish as well as a setting solution. Will give it a try.

Cheers and thanks again
Warren
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Model Shipwrights: 173 posts
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2016 - 04:29 AM UTC
Warren,
No no-- Micro scale Decal Solution- not Micro sol. The decal solution is actually used to make decals. Don't use the Micro-sol-- it will destroy the printer ink if not clear coated. If you don't have Micro-scale decal solution, a light coat of dullcoat will also work to set the ink, just go lightly with the first coat, then if need be you can repeat it. I recommend you airbrush either the Decal solution or the dullcoat. Glosscoat will work to if you want the decals to be glossy, but I recommend the first coat be dullcoat.
VR Russ
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 03:55 PM UTC
Well I have come to the end of the Snowberry for the moment. I have to make some blobks etc for the dinghys as the ones supplied by GLS look way too flat , especially the rope. Just need to find the right size one. And I need to find out how long the oars were for the dingys. Be that as it may here are some piccies of the model..

That's it until I finish off the stand etc and take some better shots.

Regards
Warren