Ships by Class/Type: Sailing Vessels
This forum is for sailing ships both civilian and military of any era.
Pyro Chinese War Junk build
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Model Shipwrights: 73 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 06:07 PM UTC
Brilliant idea, Tim, and superbly executed! Although in reality I doubt any article of clothing would have made it to a peg, given the context...

Blespooky
Visit this Community
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel
KitMaker: 277 posts
Model Shipwrights: 171 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 09:04 PM UTC
Tim,
Just got caught up, great use of the figures and details to hide lack of details. I especially like the fish.

This is so COOL!

Bryan
YellowHammer
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 554 posts
Model Shipwrights: 219 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 11:19 PM UTC
Tin,
Loving this build. The details are really coming together to tell the story. Really like how this is turning out.
John
TimReynaga
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 12:40 AM UTC
Si, Mark, Bryan, and John, thanks for your comments!

Quoted Text

Brilliant idea, Tim, and superbly executed! Although in reality I doubt any article of clothing would have made it to a peg, given the context...

Mark, you might be right!

As you can see, although the jacket may have made it to the peg, other garments are just visible in a rather unseamanlike pile on the deck below...

I noticed when I test fitted the two figures in the cabin that the interior to the left of them was a little bare. To fill in the space there, I added a small box and a jug from a 15mm wargaming accessories set.

They aren’t much, but under the tiny light in the cabin they are pretty hard to see anyway. Even with the help of an extra light shining through the side window, the items appear only as vague shapes in the background.
bwiber
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 436 posts
Model Shipwrights: 31 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 02:17 AM UTC
Tim,

I really like the way that the cabin is shaping up. It looks more and more like a space that is used and lived in. As for the coat on the peg... it could have been there for days.

This has to be one of my favorite builds from all my years lurking on Shipwrights.

Bob
damoore46
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 107 posts
Model Shipwrights: 26 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 03:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This has to be one of my favorite builds from all my years lurking on Shipwrights.

I cannot agree more. I have had more fun watching this build come together than anything else I have ever seen online. Tim is a master at the craft, but is a great story-teller also. Draws you right in, and keeps the interest level high!!

Great work, Tim!

David
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,169 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,597 posts
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2017 - 12:17 AM UTC
Ahoy Tim

This build just gets better and better.

Cheers

Sean
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2017 - 01:28 AM UTC
Hi Tim,

The work in the cabin is adding so much depth to the build. great stuff.

Cheers

Si
TimReynaga
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 05:53 PM UTC
Bob, David, Sean, and Si, thank you for your comments – I’m having fun with this too!

Time to add the final members of the crew...

The prepainted figures looked reasonably good as provided, but I couldn’t resist cleaning them up by sanding away the visible mold lines and gluing the two together to eliminate gaps.

Rather than trying to touch up the now damaged finish, I completely repainted them with lightened Testors Light Tan enamel (11170) with straight Light Tan to deepen shadows (the colors are in the bottles behind the figures in this pic).

Once placed aboard inside the cabin these improvements aren’t really even visible under the dim light in there, but I still wanted to do justice to these delightful figures.

Next up: erecting the masts
Namabiiru
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Model Shipwrights: 73 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 10:48 PM UTC
"erecting the masts"....Shame on you, Tim!

I didn't realize from previous posts how anatomically correct that set really is!...or did you do more than just eliminate the mold seams?

Perfect display for a man-cave. Great work, Tim!

bwiber
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 10, 2017 - 03:35 AM UTC
Tim,

You ever get the masts put in place? Or did this one get shuffled off to the side for a while?

Bob
TimReynaga
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 10, 2017 - 07:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I didn't realize from previous posts how anatomically correct that set really is!...or did you do more than just eliminate the mold seams?

Mark
______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Tim,

You ever get the masts put in place? Or did this one get shuffled off to the side for a while?

Bob

Thanks Mark, and yes, you are right! Although beautifully rendered, the stock figures were anatomically… abbreviated. Before repainting them I added some small details the absence of which, given the viewing angle, would have been noticeable.

Hi Bob. I got so far as to attach the sails to the masts and to begin painting them, but it started to feel like work so I set it aside. I’ll get back to it before too long – thanks for asking!
bwiber
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 10, 2017 - 11:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Mark
______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Tim,

Bob

Thanks Mark, and yes, you are right! Although beautifully rendered, the stock figures were anatomically… abbreviated. Before repainting them I added some small details the absence of which, given the viewing angle, would have been noticeable.

Hi Bob. I got so far as to attach the sails to the masts and to begin painting them, but it started to feel like work so I set it aside. I’ll get back to it before too long – thanks for asking!

This has to be one of my favorite builds not only on Shipwrights but the entire site. Not only does it have the hidden element in the cabin, but the entire build shows what can be done with older kits.... I have a lot of those.

I build armor, but this little build has not only been fun but I learned a great deal about Junks, and ships in general. I think that sometimes in pursuit of the "ultimate" kit we overlook the fun that can be had taking an older kit and just having fun building it. I like how you made it more realistic without counting a single rivet....

Bob
TimReynaga
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 11, 2017 - 09:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This has to be one of my favorite builds not only on Shipwrights but the entire site. Not only does it have the hidden element in the cabin, but the entire build shows what can be done with older kits.... I have a lot of those.

I build armor, but this little build has not only been fun but I learned a great deal about Junks, and ships in general. I think that sometimes in pursuit of the "ultimate" kit we overlook the fun that can be had taking an older kit and just having fun building it. I like how you made it more realistic without counting a single rivet....

Bob

Thanks, Bob, this build has been a kick for me too! I enjoy the newer wunderkits with their perfect dimensions and click-together fit as much as the next guy, but like you I seem to be drawn to older, less refined kits as well. Maybe it is because they harken back to the simpler builds of my childhood, or maybe because there is more of “me” in a model when I have to make creative changes to get a decent result.... whatever it is, I do have a lot of fun with them!

I’m cranking away on a 72nd scale Soviet ZIS-42 halftrack at the moment, but I’ll get back to the junk soon, I promise!
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 11, 2017 - 11:15 PM UTC
Not been paying attention, missed the last past.

The crew look good in place, very naughty, but great job.

looking forward to you getting back to her.

Cheers

Si
YellowHammer
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 11, 2017 - 11:43 PM UTC
Hi Tim,
I'm still following too. Hope to see getting back to this build soon.
John
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Friday, July 14, 2017 - 12:41 AM UTC
Hi Tim,

I can jus second what was said - certainly one of the most entertaining and fun to follow build logs with some great inspiration from a basically simple old kit - and that makes it stand out!

I am still following, no doubt, but like Si, I realize that I was nor paying attention. This is getting better and better!

Cheers,
Jan
raklein5
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 1 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 04:20 AM UTC
Is it possible to get a copy of your instructions, I have the aurora version but no instructions for the junk.
TimReynaga
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 09:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Is it possible to get a copy of your instructions, I have the aurora version but no instructions for the junk.

You know that the Aurora junk is an entirely different model from the Pyro junk model I'm building here, right?

Anyway, here is a pic of the Aurora kit instructions:
 photo Aurora junk_zpsppx6vkbt.jpg

Good luck with it!
TimReynaga
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2018 - 07:49 AM UTC
Ok... I haven’t worked on the junk for nearly a year, so it’s high time to get back in and finish this thing!

When last I left the model the hull was finished, the crew was aboard, and it was time to erect the masts and sails. Having previously assembled and prepped them, I continued this week by shooting the sails with Tamiya Buff (XF-67) lightened with some flat white.

It looked just awful – too clean, too bright!

I want to depict a well used, grungy old working junk. To suggest this and to give the plastic sails a more three-dimensional look, I airbrushed the concave areas of the folds with Tamiya Khaki (XF-49).

That’s better, nice and dirty!
JClapp
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,265 posts
Model Shipwrights: 104 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2018 - 09:02 AM UTC
that is nice. It looks very like aged linen.
hard to believe it is that single injection molded slab of styrene you held up on page three.
YellowHammer
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2018 - 09:29 AM UTC
Tim,
Glad to see you back on this build. The sails look great.
John
bwiber
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2018 - 11:15 PM UTC
Tim,

Glad to see my favorite build back for a finish. The sails look amazing, as does the rest of the build. Might have to see what I have along this line....

Bob
TimReynaga
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2018 - 09:02 AM UTC
Thanks guys, it’s good to get back to this one. In the home stretch now!

Traditional Chinese junks used strong natural fiber sails, but with constant use in the harsh environment of the sea they were prone to staining, rot, and wind damage. They were repaired frequently, and photos show that these repairs often resulted in an uneven, patchwork appearance.

Hong Kong 1982

Hong Kong early 1900s

Pyro faithfully simulated this patchwork with stitched sections on the fore and main sails.

To make these repaired areas stand out, I airbrushed the replacement panels with Tamiya Field Grey (XF-65), a medium green. I then went over the green in a light cloud pattern with the same Tamiya Khaki (XF-49) that I’d used on the folds. This mutes the effect a bit and better integrates the panels with the surrounding sails.
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2018 - 12:15 AM UTC
Hi Tim,

Very nice job indeed, patchwork looks excellent, the paint job really brings the patched sails to life.

Good to see some progress on this build again,

Cheers

Si