_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Carriers
Topics on all types of carriers from the early 20th century to today.
USS Intrepid CV11 1944 -1/350 Scale
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 05, 2018 - 02:39 PM UTC
So as not to clog up the Flattops Campaign thread I will be putting a bit more detail on this build log of my Intrepid build.

The base kit is the Trumpeter USS Hornet.

with the Pontos upgrade.

Main reference is

So I should be able to capture the most of the differences between the two vessels.

Also I will be adding an extensive air wing, I accept it will be 100% correct, but it was what I could source, and quite a lot will be in the hanger.

Mould seams on the bow of the lower hull, and the stern of the upper section.

cleaned up.

The keel laid.

Not a bad fit at all, a little clean up needed,but not the half a tube filler.

The hanger decks test fitted, all good - Warspite is alongside for scale.

The forward elevator will be down, (along with the deck edge one) The after elevator will be up, since I am going to have the hanger side shutters open I creating a simplified well the elevator would sit in in the lowered position.

Chain drilling the well, the mould line for the postion was drawn in with fine marker pen so i could see what I was doing.

cut out, cleaned up,and given a bit of depth with plastic strip.

a plasticard floor added to the well, and the hanger deck section fitted in place.

The fo'c's'le section, with the bulkheads of the forward hanger well bulkeahd in place, bit of fettling needed here, and I need to be careful as this could throw out the fit of everything else.

Right I will of up into the workshop to try and fix that shorttly.

Cheers

Si

Test fitting the hanger deck section

RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 05, 2018 - 04:02 PM UTC
I'm onboard!
Cadeus
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 144 posts
Model Shipwrights: 139 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 05, 2018 - 10:22 PM UTC
Good start si, following along
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,298 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 05, 2018 - 11:08 PM UTC
Si,

Agree, you are off to a nice start. I like your idea of the rear aircraft lift being in a lower position. This will be most interesting to see how you outfit this one.

Mark
babaoriley
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 195 posts
Model Shipwrights: 12 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 06, 2018 - 01:10 AM UTC
I've been aboard both those vessels (both long after they became museum ships) so the odds are that I'll try to build kits of them at some point, depending on the space available for display. Sadly my wife is now able to look at photos of PE and resin upgrade kits such as you posted and have a pretty good idea of the cost of the build. Usually some nice earrings will smooth over that situation.
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Model Shipwrights: 871 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 06, 2018 - 12:26 PM UTC
Good start Si.
I think your right making sure the fit of the decks to the hull is spot on. I spent the weekend looking at the kit plans and etch plans to see what's required and so much brass is focused fore and aft under the flight deck that I think if the kit is not quite right then the problems will manifest themselves later.

I am glad your setting the path for others to follow.

cheers
Michael
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 06, 2018 - 03:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm onboard!

Welcome aboard Russ,

Always glad to have you along.

Cheers

Si
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 06, 2018 - 03:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Good start si, following along

Thanks Norman,

Glad to have you along for the ride.

Cheers

Si
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 06, 2018 - 03:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Si,

Agree, you are off to a nice start. I like your idea of the rear aircraft lift being in a lower position. This will be most interesting to see how you outfit this one.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Welcome aboard, the plan is to have a strike ranged on deck, with more aircraft in the hangers. I will be adding extra detail to the hanger deck as I will removing most of the shutters that are moulded in place.

Cheers

Si
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 06, 2018 - 03:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I've been aboard both those vessels (both long after they became museum ships) so the odds are that I'll try to build kits of them at some point, depending on the space available for display. Sadly my wife is now able to look at photos of PE and resin upgrade kits such as you posted and have a pretty good idea of the cost of the build. Usually some nice earrings will smooth over that situation.

Hi Doug,

I am a lttle jealous of that, I would love to visit these fine ships, it is convincing Mrs Duster that a trip round the US visiting Museum ships would be a good idea. Earrings, nice move, I will have to remember that next time I realise I have pushed my luck to far on the hobby spending.

Cheers

Si
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 06, 2018 - 03:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Good start Si.
I think your right making sure the fit of the decks to the hull is spot on. I spent the weekend looking at the kit plans and etch plans to see what's required and so much brass is focused fore and aft under the flight deck that I think if the kit is not quite right then the problems will manifest themselves later.

I am glad your setting the path for others to follow.

cheers

Michael

Thanks Michael,

That is what was worrying me, too much fettling in the wrong place can throw everything out. I have a similar situation, all the structure at the from and rear of the flight deck is etched. Whether that will give more or less flexibility in it's only time will tell.

Good luck with build to mate.

Cheers

Si

RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 06, 2018 - 04:03 PM UTC
Yesterday's progress.

The foredeck fettled and sworn at till it fitted.

There is now a short tale, without words of filing and filing.

The prop shafts and rudder in place.

Finally, I need to make a single, offset 40mm tub on the stern, the twin mount supplied with the kit.

I am off of the workshop to start hacking it around to make a single.

More soon.

Cheers

Si
babaoriley
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 06, 2018 - 10:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Doug,

I am a lttle jealous of that, I would love to visit these fine ships, it is convincing Mrs Duster that a trip round the US visiting Museum ships would be a good idea. Earrings, nice move, I will have to remember that next time I realise I have pushed my luck to far on the hobby spending.

Cheers

Si

This year I've managed to convince her a visit to San Diego to see the impressive collection of ships they have there, especially USS Midway and "HMS" Surprise, would be a great idea. That's going to mean a lot of earrings.
McRunty
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 602 posts
Model Shipwrights: 349 posts
Posted: Monday, May 07, 2018 - 01:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Doug,

Cheers

Si

I am working on it myself. So far I have been to 2 of the 7 BB's on display with a trip to the USS Alabama planned for July. Still, so many ships and so little time plus they are all far away. Not many ship Museums in Missouri
babaoriley
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 07, 2018 - 07:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Doug,

Cheers

Si

I am working on it myself. So far I have been to 2 of the 7 BB's on display with a trip to the USS Alabama planned for July. Still, so many ships and so little time plus they are all far away. Not many ship Museums in Missouri

I managed to make it aboard the USS Iowa before it was towed from Richmond, Calif. (where it was being renovated) down to San Pedro will it is now a museum ship. It was sad to see it leave this area but San Francisco's board of supervisors made an idiotic political decision not to welcome the ship to San Francisco's waterfront. Standing beside those 16" guns was really something, made history come alive. Should I ever win the lottery I can see a world tour of historic ships, with my wide's approval of course.
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, May 07, 2018 - 11:06 AM UTC
I visited Intrepid when I was in New York a couple of years ago with my son. It doesn't bear much resemblance to the Intrepid Simon is building but it was pretty cool to have alook around the ship and the planes on deck.
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 07, 2018 - 11:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Doug,

Cheers

Si

This year I've managed to convince her a visit to San Diego to see the impressive collection of ships they have there, especially USS Midway and "HMS" Surprise, would be a great idea. That's going to mean a lot of earrings.

I think that one will take more than earrings, I was allowed to visit the Wasa last time in Stockholm, which Mrs Duster did enjoy. I keep the hoping, maybe a retirement trip with a few other sites thrown in.

Cheers

Si
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 07, 2018 - 11:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I visited Intrepid when I was in New York a couple of years ago with my son. It doesn't bear much resemblance to the Intrepid Simon is building but it was pretty cool to have alook around the ship and the planes on deck.

That is true Michael,

But I do have the angle deck Intrepid in the stash. (Would be useful to walk the deck before I build that one) I am now getting dumb idea of also converting one of the straight deck kits into a 27 Charlie. I need to go and have a lie down until the idea goes away!

Cheers

Si
Cadeus
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 144 posts
Model Shipwrights: 139 posts
Posted: Monday, May 07, 2018 - 11:36 PM UTC
I’m sure you could sell the US trip with some planned stops for her as well, also with as many modelers across the nation you could sell the idea of not paying for hotels and stay with fellow builders hahaha I’m sure she would love that idea. Don’t feel bad though, I live in the Midwest, and still haven’t found the time or funds to travel and see the museum ships. I have visited wright Patterson Air Force bade museum and it is impressive. To the build at hand, the speed in which you build still amazes me, in the time it takes you to post four kit updates I’ve managed to build 15 type 96 IJN AA guns. Keep it up, I love seeing aircraft carriers built, an art in all its own.
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 07, 2018 - 11:45 PM UTC
good in, and interesting chatting about all the great museum ships around the world, but back to business.

The single 40mm tub converted from the kit twin.

Fitted in place.

The underside structure under way.

The rough shape built out of plastic strip.

Rough coat of filler on.

sanded and a second coat on.

And the second coat sanded, ready for a coat of primer thence a final polish up.

The starboard quarter 40mm tubs are further inboard and the after one further forward on the Intrepid. The fwd of the pair is in the correct position and the after as provided in the kit.

Both tubs in the correct position. A little work to be done on the underside of both of them.

The port forward 40mm sponson in fitted in place.

The plan is to get a few more bits down and then get some paint on the hanger deck, before hacking the shutters out of the hanger sidewalls.

More soon.

Cheers

Si
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Tuesday, May 08, 2018 - 11:11 AM UTC
Nice work on the gun tub and the rearrangements. Does the Pontos set not provide replacements for these or are these changes due to switching Yorktown to Intrepid.

cheers
Michael
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 574 posts
Model Shipwrights: 530 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 09, 2018 - 04:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

FYI: the struts that support the shafts are "V" shaped, as seen in this photo from NavSource:
http://www.navsource.org/archives/02/021155b.jpg

TracyWhite
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 527 posts
Model Shipwrights: 464 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 09, 2018 - 09:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yorktown to Intrepid.

For what it's worth, this isn't a ship change as much as a time change. Both Yorktown and Intrepid had the single quad 40mm on the stern as launched and finished the war with the twin quad 40mm configuration by the end of the war. The Trumpeter CV-9 Essex kit contains the single tub pieces as it's more of an "as launched" configuration.
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 09, 2018 - 10:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice work on the gun tub and the rearrangements. Does the Pontos set not provide replacements for these or are these changes due to switching Yorktown to Intrepid.

cheers
Michael

Hi Michael,

The Pontos set does not provide 40mm tub replacements, it provide ammo racks for them and some variations for the 20mm fittings, it is really designed to fit the Yorktown kit as provided. Also some variety in radar too, which will make the conversion easier.

Thanks for looking in.

Cheers

Si
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 09, 2018 - 10:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

FYI: the struts that support the shafts are "V" shaped, as seen in this photo from NavSource:
http://www.navsource.org/archives/02/021155b.jpg

Thanks for the info Martin,

At least it will be an easyish fix, on the list for this weekend's time in the workshop.

Cheers

Si
 _GOTOTOP